Radiohead - In Rainbows

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Radiohead's new album is out in 10 days on digital download.

Guess what you pay what you want for it. Seriously.

Get it here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:20 pm

If they paid me, I might take it. Maybe.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:30 pm

I'm sure they're up nights thinking of you.
Frankly, I admire their convictions; U2, for all of Bono's hyperbole, never put their money where their mouth are is like this... Which is why I feel kind of bad I've just bought Radiohead's new album for 50p.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Any idea what the 'extra material' included in the discbox is? Songs, videos...?

Nevermind, just found this online -

Radiohead's seventh album will be called 'In Rainbows', and will be available for download on the band's official website from October 10.

Not long after an unofficial new album website was revealed as a hoax, the band's radiohead.com space was updated with release information about the new album.

The album can be purchased as a £40 made-to order discbox, which according to the site "consists of the new album, in rainbows, on CD and on 2 x 12 inch heavyweight vinyl records. A second, enhanced CD contains more new songs, along with digital photographs and artwork. The discbox also includes artwork and lyric booklets. All are encased in a hardback book and slipcase."

The band are asking fans how much they'd like to pay for the October 10 file download, with the price field left blank alongside a disclaimer "it's up to you".

The tracklisting for 'In Rainbows' is as follows:

15 Step
Bodysnatchers
Nude
Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
All I Need
Faust Arp
Reckoner
House Of Cards
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Videotape
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:19 am

This is insane. I think I will get the discbox.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:21 am

I'll download, and then if I like it, get hard copy - perhaps vinyl...

I think it's a watershed.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:23 am

i know i'm going to get the discbox anyway, for the extra CD of material, so i went ahead and pre-ordered it. if you get the discbox, the download is also included so you don't have to pay the extra 50p or whatever the minimum charge is.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:24 am

p.s. their pre-order website sucks, it took me 3 tries before an order went through. also, the approx. $80 cost is outrageous. but it's a radiohead album, so i'll take it up the bum this once.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:24 am

TheBaxter wrote:i know i'm going to get the discbox anyway, for the extra CD of material, so i went ahead and pre-ordered it. if you get the discbox, the download is also included so you don't have to pay the extra 50p or whatever the minimum charge is.

there is no minimum charge. 0 is acceptable.

After I listen I will decide on whether or not to spend 80 dollars on the full set.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:25 am

TheBaxter wrote:p.s. their pre-order website sucks, it took me 3 tries before an order went through. also, the approx. $80 cost is outrageous. but it's a radiohead album, so i'll take it up the bum this once.

Yeah I have been trying all morning to no avail. Is it really 80 dollars??? Yeesh I thought MAYBE 60 at most. That is quite a lot of cash. We will have to see now.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:27 am

Of course, you still get whatever credit charges your bank or corporate gouge you with - still a fucking great move, which I hope inspires others.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:35 am

tapehead wrote:Of course, you still get whatever credit charges your bank or corporate gouge you with - still a fucking great move, which I hope inspires others.

you actually dont even have to put credit info in if you put 0 in for the amount.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:35 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:p.s. their pre-order website sucks, it took me 3 tries before an order went through. also, the approx. $80 cost is outrageous. but it's a radiohead album, so i'll take it up the bum this once.

Yeah I have been trying all morning to no avail. Is it really 80 dollars??? Yeesh I thought MAYBE 60 at most. That is quite a lot of cash. We will have to see now.

81 with current exchange rates.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:38 am

Leckomaniac wrote:

I really think you're missing the point.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:40 am

This is a huge F U to the record industry and one i hope works out.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:10 pm

Some more info curteousy of p4k.

pitchfork wrote:Okay people! Take a couple deep breaths, count to 10, switch the caps lock off, clean up the triple espresso you just spit all over the computer screen, and check this: that new Radiohead album, In Rainbows? The one that the world knew practically zilch about 24 hours ago? The one that drops digitally (DRM-free, no less!) in nine days, for a price of your own choosing? The one that's also coming out in a deluxe "discbox" in December? Well, it's also coming out in good, old fashioned CD format early next year.

No word on when exactly or through which label-- if any label at all-- but that's the news thus far from the band's publicist.

So, let's sort this whole mess out, shall we? You will eventually have three ways to pick up the seventh Radiohead LP, the Nigel Godrich-produced In Rainbows. It all depends how much you want to pay, which goodies you'd like, and how soon you want the tunes. Observe:

1. As a DRM-free mp3 download, beginning October 10 (and available for preorder now), via www.inrainbows.com (interestingly enough, last week's RickRoll, www.radioheadlp7.com, now directs here as well). This version contains the 10 tracks that comprise In Rainbows, and you can pay whatever the hell you want for it. This is basically the band leaking the album and asking you for a donation to access it.

2. As part of a deluxe "discbox", available for preorder now and shipping in December. In addition to the 10-track In Rainbows on CD, you also get the release on LP and as a digital download, plus an enhanced bonus CD packed with eight more tracks, photos, and artwork (and an LP of the bonus tracks), plus art and lyrics booklets and some nifty looking packaging. This thing costs £40.00/$81.00.

3. As a traditional CD, available in early 2008. This will presumably cost as much as traditional CDs tend to cost.

What Radiohead's doing here is actually pretty cool. Rather than preface their new album's release with the usual three months of press ballyhoo, only to have it leak at some random time before it comes out, they've kept it completely under wraps, then essentially gone and leaked it themselves. What's more, they've turned this into a moral question of sorts, by giving us the freedom to pay actual money for what amounts to an album leak.

Only a band in Radiohead's position could pull a trick like this. Well played, gentlemen.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:23 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Some more info curteousy of p4k.

pitchfork wrote:Okay people! Take a couple deep breaths, count to 10, switch the caps lock off, clean up the triple espresso you just spit all over the computer screen, and check this: that new Radiohead album, In Rainbows? The one that the world knew practically zilch about 24 hours ago? The one that drops digitally (DRM-free, no less!) in nine days, for a price of your own choosing? The one that's also coming out in a deluxe "discbox" in December? Well, it's also coming out in good, old fashioned CD format early next year.

No word on when exactly or through which label-- if any label at all-- but that's the news thus far from the band's publicist.

So, let's sort this whole mess out, shall we? You will eventually have three ways to pick up the seventh Radiohead LP, the Nigel Godrich-produced In Rainbows. It all depends how much you want to pay, which goodies you'd like, and how soon you want the tunes. Observe:

1. As a DRM-free mp3 download, beginning October 10 (and available for preorder now), via www.inrainbows.com (interestingly enough, last week's RickRoll, www.radioheadlp7.com, now directs here as well). This version contains the 10 tracks that comprise In Rainbows, and you can pay whatever the hell you want for it. This is basically the band leaking the album and asking you for a donation to access it.

2. As part of a deluxe "discbox", available for preorder now and shipping in December. In addition to the 10-track In Rainbows on CD, you also get the release on LP and as a digital download, plus an enhanced bonus CD packed with eight more tracks, photos, and artwork (and an LP of the bonus tracks), plus art and lyrics booklets and some nifty looking packaging. This thing costs £40.00/$81.00.

3. As a traditional CD, available in early 2008. This will presumably cost as much as traditional CDs tend to cost.

What Radiohead's doing here is actually pretty cool. Rather than preface their new album's release with the usual three months of press ballyhoo, only to have it leak at some random time before it comes out, they've kept it completely under wraps, then essentially gone and leaked it themselves. What's more, they've turned this into a moral question of sorts, by giving us the freedom to pay actual money for what amounts to an album leak.

Only a band in Radiohead's position could pull a trick like this. Well played, gentlemen.

"P.S. Our rating? 4.7."
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:30 pm

Zarles wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Some more info curteousy of p4k.

"P.S. Our rating? 4.7."

id guess itll be an 8 unless its brilliant, which would bump it obv. they are normally pretty good to radiohead.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:51 pm

tapehead wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Totally missing the point. Because the point is, that $80 is a lot of money. No matter what it is you are trying to buy. Hell $60 is a lot of money. And dropping $80, at least in my opinion, should not be taken lightly. So now I am going to wait and see how much I like the album before I go ahead and spend cash I could use while here travelling. But if you'd like to be kind of elitist about it and claim that I, or anybody else for that matter, is "missing the point" for wanting to wait and hear the album before spending that kind of cash...feel free to go right ahead. I must lack the infinite wisdom that allowed you to summarily grasp "the point".
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:51 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:id guess itll be an 8 unless its brilliant, which would bump it obv. they are normally pretty good to radiohead.

I only said that because Pitchfork is notorious for being rather stingy and asshole-ish in their 'reviews'. I mean, damn - they gave Music itself a 6.8.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:53 pm

I wouldn't pay $80 for new Radiohead music. I love them, but no.

New unpublished R.E.M. music however... I'd have to seriously consider it.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:55 pm

The only way this would have been better (this is a stretch, but still) is if they had you download a program that included all of the music in a non-MP3 format, unable to be copied shy of porting the audio out to a recording device. Then you get the option of listening to it and you can THEN determine how much you think it's worth to you. Try before you buy. Then if you don't make a decision, after 24-48 hours, it auto locks itself so you have to buy it (again, for the price of your choosing). Then just make the minimum a penny or something.

I mean, this is definitely cool and all, but I still enjoy pirating music simply to figure out if I should waste the 20 bucks on a CD. Well, 12 really. Whatever. I'm making this overly complicated, good on them.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:58 pm

If I knew the album would be any good, I'd think about buying the discbox.

As it is, I think I'll opt for Tapehead's 50p payment plan.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:If I knew the album would be any good, I'd think about buying the discbox.

In 9 days I will decide, whether or not to pay for the discbox.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:01 pm

Fried Gold wrote:If I knew the album would be any good, I'd think about buying the discbox.

Logical. It seems that the discbox is loaded with really cool stuff. If the album is even remotely worth it...i might struggle with whether or not to buy it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:04 pm

If tapehead were here he'd scorn you!!

I think the point of the promotion is that most people wouldn't pay much for the download, but that Radiohead is hoping for people to show some good faith if they like the music, by buying the discbox/LP/CD at a later time. :?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Zarles on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:06 pm

I doubt I'll buy that expensive-ass discbox, so I'll give them a fair price for the download now.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:07 pm

Zarles wrote:I doubt I'll buy that expensive-ass discbox, so I'll give them a fair price for the download now.

See that folks?! A SHOW OF GOOD FAITH!!!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fawst on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Not quite band-endorsed, but when the studio demo for dredg's Catch Without Arms was leaked (called Coquette, and had like 6 songs, 4 of which made it to the album), I sent them a check for 20 bucks. They deserved the money, the music was that good. Plus I would never get the chance to purchase those versions of those songs, so... there ya have it.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Somebody go anna get a the Vicar inna here, eh? He needs a to see that a there is a yet hope for a the Humanity, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fawst on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:12 pm

I just wish Mansun had done something like this with the Kleptomania set. They would have gotten a LOT more money out of me. Of course, by that point it was too late. Band had already disolved. Most crushing band-breakup of all time for me.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm a firm believer that bands need to be run more like small businesses nowadays, so I have absolutely no problem supporting a move like this.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
tapehead wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Totally missing the point. Because the point is, that $80 is a lot of money. No matter what it is you are trying to buy. Hell $60 is a lot of money. And dropping $80, at least in my opinion, should not be taken lightly. So now I am going to wait and see how much I like the album before I go ahead and spend cash I could use while here travelling. But if you'd like to be kind of elitist about it and claim that I, or anybody else for that matter, is "missing the point" for wanting to wait and hear the album before spending that kind of cash...feel free to go right ahead. I must lack the infinite wisdom that allowed you to summarily grasp "the point".

I just thought the point - of the site, and the current hype, is that you can have the album by naming your own price. If you can wait 'til the end of the year you'll be able to buy it like any other album, if you're prepared to pay for it (unheard) you can get the super-deluxe box set thing, something I would expect none but the hardcore fan to do from the get go.
Seems like pretty liberating set of choices, even for the ipod/emusic crowd.
I was merely pointing out that fact, as you and Bax seemed to be stuck on the high asking price for the 'Collector's edition'. Sorry you took it any other way. I thought that point was pretty clear - nobody's suggesting you have to wait or pay.

I sure won't but the 'diskbox' 'til I've heard it, or at the very least read a few reviewers who'se opinion I place stock in. These extras albums are bundled with are so often quickly forgotten, as they are just that; extras, and what they had left over from recording sessions.

Having said that I do consider Radiohead to be a band at the height of their creative powers.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:02 am

I'd have posted sooner but 24hrs of solid geekgasm makes it hard to type.

Best news I've heard for months this. I've gone ahead and preordered the Discbox I have faith, even though Hail To The Thief was a bit disappointing. As for the way they are delivering this album, well hallefuckinglujah. I don't any other band of Radiohead's popularity and acclaim that would do this, no-one could accuse RH of not at least practicing what they preach with this idea.
I've not heard any of the songs save for a very dodgy bootleg video of Arpeggi (it still sounded awesome) and The Reckoner, which has been around for at least 12 years, so has anyone heard these tracks and if so what do you think?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:27 am

I don't think anyone's heard the tracks yet... Radiohead is pre-empting their album leaking on the net before release.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:45 am

Actually I'll be off to eat my own shoe right now... but before that, here's a link to a Rolling Stone article that compiles live recordings of some of the songs that'll be on In Rainbows.

In Rainbows Preview!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:18 am

I paid 40 quid for the digital download.

Oh, wait a minute....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Zarles on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:19 am

Great link, Pacino. Sounds good so far!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:26 am

Thanks for that link Pacino. I knew some of the songs were up on youtube, but was too lazy to look. Now they are all in one place!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:38 am

What's funny is that I don't even remember where I got it from... :oops:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby unikrunk on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:48 am

This is the only thing getting air time on CNN right now - fucking weird. Not what Radiohead is doing, that is cool; it’s weird to hear the Good Morning / Robin Mead crew talking about Radiohead, and how cool they are.

Even the weather guy is talking about it.

Weird.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:49 am

unikrunk wrote:This is the only thing getting air time on CNN right now - fucking weird. Not what Radiohead is doing, that is cool; it’s weird to hear the Good Morning / Robin Mead crew talking about Radiohead, and how cool they are.

Even the weather guy is talking about it.

Weird.

Radiohead has been around for a long ass time. It wouldnt surprise me that they were actually fans, but even if they weren't im sure the "banter" would still be there.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby unikrunk on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:08 am

@stereo - yeah, I would not be surprised if they are fans; they are all younger than me, and I am fan (of most of their stuff) - IMO, Paranoid Android is one of the best rock songs ever deconstructed. Seeing them play it live was probably my favorite concert moment, aside from any time I have seen Fugazi. Sorry, Fugazi takes the win every time in the uni-dome.

(In on the kill taker = the best album ever?)
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:10 am

unikrunk wrote:@stereo - yeah, I would not be surprised if they are fans; they are all younger than me, and I am fan (of most of their stuff) - IMO, Paranoid Android is one of the best rock songs ever deconstructed. Seeing them play it live was probably my favorite concert moment, aside from any time I have seen Fugazi. Sorry, Fugazi takes the win every time in the uni-dome.

You're close. I'll take Red Medicine or End Hits any day. ;)
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:28 am

Zarles wrote:
unikrunk wrote:@stereo - yeah, I would not be surprised if they are fans; they are all younger than me, and I am fan (of most of their stuff) - IMO, Paranoid Android is one of the best rock songs ever deconstructed. Seeing them play it live was probably my favorite concert moment, aside from any time I have seen Fugazi. Sorry, Fugazi takes the win every time in the uni-dome.

You're close. I'll take Red Medicine or End Hits any day. ;)

I have a hard time choosing between repeater, red medicine or the argument.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 am

I love them all, but I really think they hit their stride with Red Medicine, and then only got better. In On The Kill Taker is good, but to me it sounds like they WANTED to make a record like Red Medicine, but didn't know how to do it yet. Excellent stuff, though.

Really wish they'd get back together, though. :(
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:37 am

TonyWilson wrote:I'd have posted sooner but 24hrs of solid geekgasm makes it hard to type.

Best news I've heard for months this. I've gone ahead and preordered the Discbox I have faith, even though Hail To The Thief was a bit disappointing. As for the way they are delivering this album, well hallefuckinglujah. I don't any other band of Radiohead's popularity and acclaim that would do this, no-one could accuse RH of not at least practicing what they preach with this idea.
I've not heard any of the songs save for a very dodgy bootleg video of Arpeggi (it still sounded awesome) and The Reckoner, which has been around for at least 12 years, so has anyone heard these tracks and if so what do you think?

i was lucky enough to catch them on their tour a little over a year ago, when they road-tested a lot of this material. the new stuff sounded really good, similar to the more guitar-oriented numbers from hail to the thief. though, once they got them in the studio, who knows what happened to them.

the one thing i'll say is that Nude is probably one of the most beautiful songs they've ever done, and it will be fantastic to finally have a properly recorded version of it. they've been kicking that song around for ages and had a bunch of different versions, everything from a very organ-heavy version to a solo acoustic version. can't wait to see how they chose to record it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:39 am

Honestly I think Kid A was the last really great album they made. Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief all had moments.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby unikrunk on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:41 am

"Here comes the argument..." Fuck that song is so awesome. Plodding its way along and then unleashing the NOISE on your ass. LOVE IT.

Yeah, it’s a tough call - just like Zarles is saying - to my mind red Medicine was the departure point for a more coherent, musically challenging brand of Fugazi - and I love it - Instrumental is just sweet-tits-city - I love it all, but really dig the entire album layout for In on the Kill Taker - Turning the Screw is just about one of my all time favorite songs.

For me, if it’s Fugazi, or even Minor Threat, it is GOLD

/end Fugazi threadjack
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:46 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Honestly I think Kid A was the last really great album they made. Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief all had moments.

Agree with you there. I WANT MORE!!!! Then again, I can always go back and listen to that should the new album disappoint, although I dug the hell out of The Eraser.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Next

Return to Music