Radiohead - In Rainbows

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:52 am

unikrunk wrote:"Here comes the argument..." Fuck that song is so awesome. Plodding its way along and then unleashing the NOISE on your ass. LOVE IT.

Yeah, it’s a tough call - just like Zarles is saying - to my mind red Medicine was the departure point for a more coherent, musically challenging brand of Fugazi - and I love it - Instrumental is just sweet-tits-city - I love it all, but really dig the entire album layout for In on the Kill Taker - Turning the Screw is just about one of my all time favorite songs.

For me, if it’s Fugazi, or even Minor Threat, it is GOLD

/end Fugazi threadjack

What about Rites of Spring? The begining of emotional hardcore. What emo was before whiney assholes got a hold of it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby unikrunk on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:08 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
unikrunk wrote:"H ere comes the argument..." Fuck that song is so awesome. Plodding its way along and then unleashing the NOISE on your ass. LOVE IT.

Yeah, it’s a tough call - just like Zarles is saying - to my mind red Medicine was the departure point for a more coherent, musically challenging brand of Fugazi - and I love it - Instrumental is just sweet-tits-city - I love it all, but really dig the entire album layout for In on the Kill Taker - Turning the Screw is just about one of my all time favorite songs.

For me, if it’s Fugazi, or even Minor Threat, it is GOLD

/end Fugazi threadjack

What about Rites of Spring? The begining of emotional hardcore. What emo was before whiney assholes got a hold of it.

Yep, I can pretty much go with anything that Dischord / MacKaye was producing in that time frame, 7 Seconds, Nation of Ulysses being right up there. The Rollins Band...not-so-much. I can't stand Hank Rollins, self righteous, pious Struggling Background Artist.

Some would say the same of MacKaye; however he keeps it close to the vest, and lets the music do the talking

Rollins and his spoken word, tattoo fest bullshit is just too much for this listener.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:14 am

unikrunk wrote:Yep, I can pretty much go with anything that Dischord / MacKaye was producing in that time frame, 7 Seconds, Nation of Ulysses being right up there.

Absolutely

[/threadjack]
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:51 am

My ears shall be in heaven tomorrow with the arrival of the new Radiohead and the new PJ Harvey. Either they're getting sneakier or I'm slipping because I found out about both of them at roughly the same time. I'll cop to paying nothing for the download but I figure I'll make up for it when a cheaper version of the CD is out or I buy a concert ticket - which means they better play Detroit this time. At the very least I'd be happy to make a donation somewhere.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:13 am

THANK YOU FOR ORDERING IN RAINBOWS. THIS IS AN UPDATE.

YOUR UNIQUE ACTIVATION CODE(S) WILL BE SENT OUT TOMORROW MORNING (UK
TIME). THIS WILL TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO THE DOWNLOAD AREA.

The site is going to crash, isn't it? I bet it takes bloody ages as well, if the site does stay alive. Hopefully it will be ready to DL by the time I return home.

I paid nothing as well, rubbing it in by entering these details:
Not Paying
0 Free Street
Suckertown
Afghanistan
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:28 am

W.A.S.T.E wrote:
THANK YOU FOR ORDERING IN RAINBOWS. THIS IS AN UPDATE.

YOUR UNIQUE ACTIVATION CODE(S) WILL BE SENT OUT TOMORROW MORNING (UK
TIME). THIS WILL TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO THE DOWNLOAD AREA.

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD:

THE ALBUM WILL COME AS A 48.4MB ZIP FILE CONTAINING 10 X 160KBPS DRM
FREE MP3s.

MOST COMPUTERS NOW HAVE ZIP SOFTWARE AS PART OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM;
IF YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT, YOU NEED TO GET WINZIP OR ZIPIT INSTALLED
PRIOR.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THEM HERE:

PC: http://www.winzip.com/
MAC: http://www.maczipit.com/

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING YOUR FILE, PLEASE
CONTACT OUR DOWNLOAD CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM AT
downloadinrainbows@waste.uk.com

Four things -

-It's great these releases are DRM free - even if you haven't ordered them, they will be all over the 'net in a matter of hours.

-It's hugely disappointing that 160kbps, as the audio quality will no doubt suffer from being so compressed.

-I hope none of my fellow Zoners paid anywhere near full price for something that is essentially a preview copy of a proper version of the album. I ended up getting them for zero monies, hope you did the same.

-I'm planning to sit and wait online for as long as it takes until I can dl these...

Lets have a listening party - I'd love to hear first impressions once we've all dl'ed and had a listen.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:48 am

dl ing now - should be giving it a listen in about ten minutes!!!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:54 am

tapehead wrote:dl ing now - should be giving it a listen in about ten minutes!!!

Excellent! Be sure to give us your impressions. Maybe a real time album commentary?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:56 am

I'm listening now, first impressions are pretty good.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:01 am

Radiohead - In Rainbows

01 - 15 Step
02 - Bodysnatchers
03 - Nude
04 - Weird Fishes/arpeggi
05 - All I Need
06 - Faust Arp
07 - Reckoner
08 - House of Cards
09 - Jigsaw Falling into Place
10 - Videotape

The drum and bass beat that begins the opening track is going to throw a few people off
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:13 am

They are talking about it on just about every news show this morning.
the site is getting humped, I've had it open in another tab for 15 mins & it still ain't finished loading.

No doubt this is the way things should be, the casual fan will spend what they feel is right, long term fans will by the diskbox & the mp3s & if you're completely nuts for Radiohead you can spend £100+ on the mp3's & then £40 on the box.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:13 am

is the opening track the one with the childrens choir and the clapping?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:14 am

15 minutes has none of those elements...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:18 am

tapehead wrote:15 minutes has none of those elements...

Hm...well I was just going off of that Rolling Stone preview of the album. They were just guessing as well. Apparently, the live version of that song incorporated some of those elements or something. Last time I trust Rolling Stone.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:24 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
tapehead wrote:15 minutes has none of those elements...

Hm...well I was just going off of that Rolling Stone preview of the album. They were just guessing as well. Apparently, the live version of that song incorporated some of those elements or something. Last time I trust Rolling Stone.

I gather it's a song that's had a few different incarnations...

'Reckoner' and 'All I Need' are both gorgeous ballads, with the requisite post-OK Computer production eccentricities...

ETA: It is of course '15 Step', not 15 minutes :oops:
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:37 am

You may have had Edward Burns on your mind. :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:54 am

Loving the drum/electronic percussion attack on Videotape.

It seems to be a solid album, all the tracks are immediately accessible, albeit with the production quirks Tapes mentioned - Bodysnatchers is amazing.

I'd say it will take a few listens to get in to bed with, but we'll all be whispering sweet nothings into it's ears later.

Tony might even feel it up. Haha.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:59 am

I'm only half way through, but i can tell this is gonna sound fantastic on vinyl.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:00 am

doglips wrote:Loving the drum/electronic percussion attack on Videotape.

It seems to be a solid album, all the tracks are immediately accessible, albeit with the production quirks Tapes mentioned - Bodysnatchers is amazing.

I'd say it will take a few listens to get in to bed with, but we'll all be whispering sweet nothings into it's ears later.

Tony might even feel it up. Haha.

:shock:

Must I direct you to this thread.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:08 am

doglips wrote:Bodysnatchers is amazing.
seconded - there's all sorts of good surprises in store for the first time listener - the melancholy minor melody of 'Nude' is already becoming familiar to me. Great guitar work throughout, and plenty of it, albeit without some of Greenwood's signature styles or sounds (same could be said for 'Hail to the Thief', I guess). Heaps of Eno-esque ambient keys, too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:12 am

BaaaaAAHH! Cursed 8kb/s download speed. Radiohead's recent albums have taken a while to grow on me so I hope it is as "immediately accessible" as you say doglips. I will give it a few listens before commenting, once the bloody thing finishes downloading.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:14 am

So I see no one here has commented on the 160 bitrate. I know there are some folks quite disappointed with the quality. It was probably a smart move...make people want to purchase the hard copy when it becomes available.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:10 am

The quality of mine is great - maybe if you get the boxset you get a different bitrate or something - mine downloaded in 3 mins too, no waiting.

First listen will have you interested, second listen the melodies start to reveal themselves, third listen you'll be thinking this is a great Radiohead album. Everything they have written before has informed the content of In Rainbows - the sound is more stripped down but this is a culmination of sorts. Excellent stuff.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:26 am

doglips wrote:The quality of mine is great - maybe if you get the boxset you get a different bitrate or something - mine downloaded in 3 mins too, no waiting.

Higher bitrate for payers?!? Surely not? How big is your zip file, if that's not top personal a question? 65% and down to 6.2kb/s for me. Bastards - a torrent site would be much quicker, but I want to get my money's worth. I just read that Nine Inch Nails (not that I am a fan) have taken Radiohead's lead and ditched their record/distribution deals as well - seems to be the way forward.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:32 am

mmm, looked back at my email from WASTE and it was the same 160 bitrate, but it sounds great anyways! I must have defunct hearing or something.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:50 am

It's a decent 160kb rather than a tinny digital 160kb. Most of the stuff you download from Itunes is 128kb and sounds okay. It's only going to be nutty audiophiles who complain.

So far...my only comment is that some of the songs have improved upon studio recording, while others don't seem to have quite the same feel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:53 am

128 is what I have most of my songs at. What are we listening to this shit on for goodness sake?? Not Jamo systems I bet. Anyway, I can't seem to get access to the site. I tried twice today and I keep getting site errors when I go to register. Anyone else having issues? I'm quite keen to have a listen. It is a great distrubition idea, if it works.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wharto on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:07 am

This is album is fucking superb!
FACT!
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:21 am

Fact?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:26 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Fact?

Yup. wharto posts only scientific data.

:roll:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:26 am

You can prove anything with "facts".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:26 am

Fried Gold wrote:You can prove anything with "facts".

Except Havocs innocence.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:28 am

Fried Gold wrote:You can prove anything with "facts".

My mum always told me to cross the street and stay away from those kind of facts. They have cooties :o :-P :shock: :? :x :P

Did you know that it's a FACT that the world was once flat... for real dawg.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:31 am

The new Radiohead is okay.

Some will proclaim it poor, not anywhere near the heights reached by past albums. Some will proclaim it to be awesome, the greatest thing since sliced vinyl.

When it is merely okay.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:34 am

Fried Gold wrote:The new Radiohead is okay.

Some will proclaim it poor, not anywhere near the heights reached by past albums. Some will proclaim it to be awesome, the greatest thing since sliced vinyl.

When it is merely okay.

But...but...wharto said it was a fact.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:38 am

I think it's better than OK. I wasn't hoping for, or expecting the greatest record ever, I just wanted a Radiohead record containing lots of Radioheadness - In Rainbows provides that whilst exploring some new soundscapes, so count me a happy fanboy.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:39 am

BBC news were saying the majority of people paid between £0.00 & £1.00.
They didn't mention how many paid for the box though.

Leave it to the BBC to spin something from "the greatest idea ever" to "profit loosing industry killing shit".

& i don't see the problem with 160 rate. it's not like the majority of the people downloading are gonna have a top of the range sound system wired up to their computer.

I find listening through headphones gives the best experience, it blocks the world out & gives a different feel to it than listening through the standard speakers most computers come with.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Zarles on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:42 am

Downloading it right now. Glad to hear that the Zoner consensus is mostly positive.

Back in a bit with my thoughts... :)
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:06 am

Fried Gold wrote:The new Radiohead is okay.

When it is merely okay.

hummm... really? Damn it I may be calling upon you Tape for a copy of this (I'll give you 50p) as I still am having no luck.

Anyway, it's hard to compare the new stuff to the likes of 'OK Computer' as it was one of the greatest rock/alternative albums of the 90's.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:07 am

I love it long time so far. The first two tracks are the shit. Their mixture of electronica and rock sounded like a great idea to me back when Kid A came out, and it sounds even better now.

I do think the compression is a little high, though. When it comes out on iTunes, I may have to spring for a copy that's a little less squished. Being that I spent very little for this download, I don't have a problem with that.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:12 am

I am on the 3rd track and it's definitely been good. Great? Im not so sure yet.

Be back soon.

This thread sort of blew up last night.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:17 am

Zarles wrote:I love it long time so far. The first two tracks are the shit. Their mixture of electronica and rock sounded like a great idea to me back when Kid A came out, and it sounds even better now.

I do think the compression is a little high, though. When it comes out on iTunes, I may have to spring for a copy that's a little less squished. Being that I spent very little for this download, I don't have a problem with that.

Well that's your problem right there. Itunes is from the Devils ass you know...

Still no luck getting this bastard downloaded, I'll give you the money now Mr. Radiohead website... just let me listen to what you're doing!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 am

Zarles wrote:I love it long time so far. The first two tracks are the shit. Their mixture of electronica and rock sounded like a great idea to me back when Kid A came out, and it sounds even better now.

Wait.

Didn't somebody say iTunes downloads are compressed to 128?
Don't pay for it again to get a lower bitrate
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Zarles on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:32 am

A decently-priced CD, then. Whatever. It might just be my shitty computer speakers that are making it sound a little squished. I'm going to burn it to CD and check it out in my car before I do any serious audio geek bitching.

I love it so far. I'm almost all the way through it, and not one clunker in the bunch. Much better than Hail To The Thief.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:41 am

Oh dear. Track one is great, track two is fantastic - seriously one of the best things they have done, then it all falls apart for me. I never thought I would be saying this about a Radiohead album, but I find it BORING. Musically unadventurous, over-produced and very samey. What has happened to the guitar playing? Too many la-di-da vocal overdubs and what may as well be Dido's synth presets. Faust Arp makes me angry. Reckoner sounds like a poor man's U.N.K.L.E. collaboration. House of Cards sounds like what The Verve's awesome A Northern Soul might have sounded like if they hadn't recorded it live and (heaven forbid!) off their faces on Ecstasy - mind-numbing. Jigsaw Falling Into Place starts brilliantly but is blighted halfway through by at least six vocal tracks, which drown out the best guitar work on the album by far. Shame.

I'd say this is easily their worst album, but Bodysnatchers is fucking brilliant and getting better every time I play it. Radiohead need a kick up the arse, which given how many millions of pounds they are going to pocket from pre-sales alone, isn't likely to happen. Big disappointment for me and I can't even blame the hype, as I only found out that the album existed about two weeks ago.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:49 am

Sounds like what I thought of the previous Tool album. (not the latest one but the one before that).

Thanks for the honest opinion V.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:02 am

vicious_bastard wrote:Oh dear. Track one is great, track two is fantastic - seriously one of the best things they have done, then it all falls apart for me. I never thought I would be saying this about a Radiohead album, but I find it BORING. Musically unadventurous, over-produced and very samey. What has happened to the guitar playing? Too many la-di-da vocal overdubs and what may as well be Dido's synth presets. Faust Arp makes me angry. Reckoner sounds like a poor man's U.N.K.L.E. collaboration. House of Cards sounds like what The Verve's awesome A Northern Soul might have sounded like if they hadn't recorded it live and (heaven forbid!) off their faces on Ecstasy - mind-numbing. Jigsaw Falling Into Place starts brilliantly but is blighted halfway through by at least six vocal tracks, which drown out the best guitar work on the album by far. Shame.

I'd say this is easily their worst album, but Bodysnatchers is fucking brilliant and getting better every time I play it. Radiohead need a kick up the arse, which given how many millions of pounds they are going to pocket from pre-sales alone, isn't likely to happen. Big disappointment for me and I can't even blame the hype, as I only found out that the album existed about two weeks ago.

i see what your saying, Bodysnatchers could be the strongest song on the album.

But boring? i felt they created quite a large, fuck whats the word? soundscape?

Not on a Pink Floyd level, but it certainly felt like there was a lot going on in the background of most of the tracks.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:15 am

king_of_nowhere wrote:i felt they created quite a large, fuck whats the word? soundscape?

Not on a Pink Floyd level, but it certainly felt like there was a lot going on in the background of most of the tracks.

Too much going on. It swamps the guitars, which are the main reason why I have been a big Radiohead fan for 13 years. There are no "fuck, how the hell did he do that" moments on this album, or if there are they are well buried. I think Thom Yorke's voice is overused while Greenwood is underused, and that doesn't sit well with the soundscapey effects which pervade the entire album. So little variety.

I said before that Radiohead albums usually grow on me, but I can't see that happening this time. Musically inferior to all they have done before. It would probably sound better live - again, it feels overproduced which is SO surprising given their track record.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:21 am

One listen so far and I'm enjoying it. At first glance "All I Need" and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" are the standouts. The album is a bit on the low-key/mid-tempo side of things, which usually annoys me, but Radiohead and doom-n-gloom have pretty much gone hand in hand since OK Computer.

I'll be curious to see if they release any numbers regarding downloads and discbox orders. The industry is going to want to know how it would have fared on Billboard's charts.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 am

just downloaded it and am listening to it now...

'15 Step' - awesome on 1st listen, love the little kiddies in the background.

'Bodysnatchers' - sounds like a b-side from the bends. i'll have to hear it a few more times, it's more conventional sounding and rockier than what i expect from rh these days.

'Nude' - amazing how many versions of this they've had to go through to get to this recorded version. i've been in love with this song for years, and this version doesn't disappoint. it would've made a fabulous album closer. sounds gorgeous.

'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi' - i remember this song when they tested it out live, it reminded me of a sped-up, prettier 'knives out' - very nice sounding, i have a feeling this one's gonna grow on me with more listens.

'All I Need' - i'm a bit worried i may be having a 'Harry Knowles - Godzilla' moment here... the excitement of new RH music may be overwhelming my critical faculties. but this song is beautiful. really surprisingly straightforward lyrics by yorke. starts off a bit slow, but builds to a gorgeous climax.

'Faust Arp' - ok, this one's a bit fey. was he saying 'chupacabra'?

'Reckoner' - wow, this song's changed a lot from the original bootleg version i heard. that version had a heavy guitar riff along the lines of i might be wrong. this version is far superior, sounds like a completely different song, and a much better one.

'House of Cards' - this one's not doing much for me. i remember not really caring for the live version either.

'Jigsaw Falling Into Place' - very nice. everything kinda clicks together and propels this song along quite nicely. guitars and voice mesh very well.

'Videotape' - pleasant closer, ends the album well. it's pretty, but i think it still needs to grow on me a bit.

overall, it sounds like a strong album. i always have a difficult time making my mind up on a record on the first listen, i need 5-10 listens before i can really place it. faust arp and house of cards are the only disappointing tracks to me, and nude and all i need are the standouts so far.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Music