Zoner Musicians Unite!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Re: Zoner Musicians Unite!

Postby minstrel on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Does anyone play, or owned, a Ukulele?

I'm looking to buy one and was surprised how inexpensive they appear to be.

A great many years ago, I bought a ukelele at a garage sale for $4. That's $4 Canadian. Easiest thing in the world to play, not very useful in an actual musical sense, other than to teach kids to strum something, and it disappeared long ago during one of my moves.

One thing I'm fascinated by is the tiny guitar Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull uses in concert. It looks like it has a regular guitar fretboard, but the body is about a third the size of a normal acoustic guitar's body. I've never seen another like it. I'd like to find one of THOSE!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:05 pm

minstrel wrote:

I'm looking to buy one and was surprised how inexpensive they appear to be.

A great many years ago, I bought a ukelele at a garage sale for $4. That's $4 Canadian. Easiest thing in the world to play, not very useful in an actual musical sense, other than to teach kids to strum something, and it disappeared long ago during one of my moves.

One thing I'm fascinated by is the tiny guitar Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull uses in concert. It looks like it has a regular guitar fretboard, but the body is about a third the size of a normal acoustic guitar's body. I've never seen another like it. I'd like to find one of THOSE!

You can buy them - http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html - see "Little Martin".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:13 am

I don't think I will ever be completely at ease when a man says, "See 'Little Martin.'"
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:56 pm

I dunno, does Tiny Tim or Don Ho have an account on the Zone?
Maui
WoWie

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Won this on ebay today...

Was going surprisingly cheap & i got my bid in with 10 seconds to spare. I was originally looking for something analogue, but i don't have piles of cash lying around to spend on a Moog right now...

It's apparently a pain to program patches for, easier than the dx7, but still difficult. It also dumps patches to tape, but i'm sure the midi tape interface will be hard to find & i don't really want to wait 3 mins for a sound to load, so I've got to hunt down the expansion cartridge now.
This is all assuming it works...

EDIT:

The internal battery is dead, so the custom & preformance banks are shot. I found a battery & harness for it on ebay for £1.79. Once i fit it, i'll need to google like fuck to find the preformance bank & dump it to the DX-11's ram. Other than that, it works. Sounds great thru my amp & a few fx. I can still make custom sounds, i just can't save them yet.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:39 pm

I fixed the dx11. Don't have any videos showing how much ass it kicks, but i'll post one once i've made it.

Bought an original Stylophone months & months ago. Only just discovered it has a faulty line out.
Bought a Korg Monotron this week, it's a lot of fun. Managed to get some Jarre-like sounds from it the other day. It's quite good, you can play bass lines & work the filter to get some 303 type growls, set the lfo right & play some New Order leads or just bugger about with it & get sci-fi effects & things like that.

Got a ukulele today & noticed that the majority of notation (be it chords or TAB) isn't as it should be. If i wanted to play Stairway to Heaven in the key of Cm i'd use a fucking capo on my guitar, thank you very much.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re:

Postby Bloo on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:06 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:
minstrel wrote:Yamaha 6 string acoustic, a Stratocaster, and my trusty old Yamaha 12-string acoustic.

Yamahas are massively underrated guitars - they feel much nicer than some things which cost twice the price. I was torn between a Yamaha and a Fender acoustic when I bought my new one last week despite the Fender being about 50% more expensive. Luckily my savage bargaining skills got the Fender price level with loads of stuff thrown in.

The shop had loads of those cool Chinese giant harp things which I messed about with for a bit. Damn good fun but the natives were far from impressed.

just found this thread :shock:

Anyways, I'm commenting here because my first guitar the one I "loaned" to my sister (who knows if I'll ever get it back) was a Yamaha acoustic. I loved the fucking guitar.

Currently I own a Dreadnaught acoustic, a harmonica (I'm teaching myself to play), and I'm contemplating a banjo or a mandolin. Maybe getting one of those starting kits from Musician's Friend that comes with the insturment, gig bag, CD/DVD, and book to teachya how to play.

I've really been getting into folk and bluegrass as of late (well I've loved Bluegrass for years, but folk is really new for me) and being doing some jam sessions with a buddy of mine. Problem is he lives an hour away and I drive a beast of a pickup
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:06 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:I fixed the dx11. Don't have any videos showing how much ass it kicks, but i'll post one once i've made it.

Bought an original Stylophone months & months ago. Only just discovered it has a faulty line out.
Bought a Korg Monotron this week, it's a lot of fun. Managed to get some Jarre-like sounds from it the other day. It's quite good, you can play bass lines & work the filter to get some 303 type growls, set the lfo right & play some New Order leads or just bugger about with it & get sci-fi effects & things like that.

Got a ukulele today & noticed that the majority of notation (be it chords or TAB) isn't as it should be. If i wanted to play Stairway to Heaven in the key of Cm i'd use a fucking capo on my guitar, thank you very much.

Oh shit, son! stylophones are cool. I tried to build my own.

We should jam
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby The Vicar on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Looks like The Vicar is getting back into the rock thingy - I've been taken aboard as a vocalist/second guitar guy.
Had so much fun with this last summer, and these people are a more established group and less coked out/drunk.
Hoping to have some fun. Man I have missed this......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Finally got my Ebay bought old-ass Akai S900 sampler in the mails yesterday. Fucker must weigh 50lbs easy.

Haven't played a second of music in probably 9 months, just buying gear left and right.

It's getting out of hand.

I'll put up a gear list with a few pics when I get a chance.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:07 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:I fixed the dx11. Don't have any videos showing how much ass it kicks, but i'll post one once i've made it.

We should jam

That's pretty good, you can do a lot with those 555's. If you can find a way to raise & lower the voltage going in, you'll be able to tune it & get some theremin type screams out of it by leaving the screwdriver on the pad & buggering with the voltage pot.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Here's a few photos of the Vintage Room at The Guitar Center in L.A. I took a few months ago on vacation.

Drool.

Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby minstrel on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:59 am

Move over, Chris, so I can drool too. Those are beautiful axes.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:38 am

I feel like I need adult supervision just to look at those pictures. :shock: (and I'm a drummer!)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bloo on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:10 am

I'm sporting wood
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:29 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:

We should jam

That's pretty good, you can do a lot with those 555's. If you can find a way to raise & lower the voltage going in, you'll be able to tune it & get some theremin type screams out of it by leaving the screwdriver on the pad & buggering with the voltage pot.

I have tons of pots that I can use to tune the keys instead of resistors. I even had a look at some of your yootoob entries.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:33 am

Only $29,995.00 for the beat to shit 1960 lefty? Where's my checkbook? You mind if post-date that?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 am

Damn Chris, those pix were a thing of beauty, and I'm a Gibson man myself.
Nothing but love for vintage gtrs like those, though.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:52 am

It's kind've a shame to see them all just hanging there on a wall.

Instruments were made to played.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:28 am

Fried Gold wrote:It's kind've a shame to see them all just hanging there on a wall.

Instruments were made to played.

That's the best thing about that place. I asked the guy if I could play one and he said "Play whichever one you like, that's what they're there for"

The price tag on this '59 Telecaster was $14,995. It's a little intimidating, but I played it anyway.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 am

There's a place like that in London that solely sells vintage guitars and they let you play on them....but you always get the feeling you're auditioning in some way.

Do they also have a white '64 Strat with triple whammy bar in an illuminated rotating glass cabinet?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:06 pm

wow Stunt, that's awesome that they let you play them. I'd be in hog heaven, I think I know where I'm going next time I go on vacation
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Previous

Return to Music