The Official Opera Thread - Bitches!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The Official Opera Thread - Bitches!

Postby The Todd on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:52 pm

There's been mentions of Operas and Opera singers (Pavarotti, Sills, etc), but there isn't an Opera Thread (unless I missed it, in which case lock this thread please).

I'm starting this because I was just introduced to the brilliance of Juan Diego Florez, an amazing tenor to rival the late, great Luciano Pavarotti. In fact, here is a link to Florez singing "Ah! Mes Amis" from "La Fille du Regiment". Around the 7:00 minute mark is when he hits the 9 consecutive High-Cs that I've only ever heard Pavarotti hit before. Fucking amazing.

Click for pure listening joy!

Anywho, I still think Pavarotti is the best ever. Florez gives him a run for his money though. I also like Jose Carreras (mostly his earlier stuff, before the cancer), and Rolando Villazon.

One the soprano side, I love Renee Fleming (who I'm going to see in November) and Anna Netrebko (who I'm going to see in December).

Here is a link to Netrebko doing the famous mad scene in Bellini's "I Puritani"

Part 1
Part 2
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:14 pm

Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:21 pm

What about this opera?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Doesn't this belong here?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Todd on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Fievel wrote:Doesn't this belong here?

I know The Dino loves some opera. When he gets here HE A SCOLD YOU ALL!
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:25 pm

I love Oprah!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:26 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:My kinda opera

HAHAHAHAHA! That's exactly what I was thinking...

KILL DA WABBIT!!!!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:42 pm

Awise, storm!
North winds bwow!
South winds bwow!
Typhoons!
Huwicanes!
Eauthquakes!

SMOG!!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:57 pm

SPEAR AND MAGIC HELMET!
Spear and magic helmet?
SPEAR AND MAGIC HELMET!
Magic helmet?
MAGIC HELMET!
Magic helmet. :roll:
MAGIC HELMET AND I WILL GIVE YOU A SAMPLE!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:57 pm

do we really need a separate thread for this?

:twisted:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Todd on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:do we really need a separate thread for this?

:twisted:

:lol: Where do you get your material?
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:36 pm

Do any of you guys know Yma Sumac?
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm very suprsied that there is an opera thread on the zone. I'm not the biggest fan but I think that's fucking awesome!!!

I've been a huge classical fan for many years. I used to be a concert pianist many years ago (many years ago) and I've always had a hankering for proper music in modern society so it shocks me the see this on the zone. I am in awe.

When I say I used to be a classical concert pianist, it was until 13 year old chinese pianists started flooding the market - bastards.

[sweeping statement]They still have no feeling but tehcnically they are brilliant [/sweeping statement]

Oh..and the Kill the wabbit Webern Ring Cycle...Fucking funnier than a midget falling over.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby The Todd on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:06 pm

Papa, I started off as a classical fan for years myself. It's only recently that I got into opera and I am LOVING it.

I've always been told my friends/family/etc that I should give it a try, but I always thought it was too pompous for its own good. Then one day, I was flipping through the channels looking for something to watch and came across the local PBS channel (public television in the US) showing "I Puritani" starring Anna Netrebko. Man, her voice is like velvet! I was taken in and had to see/hear more.

The failing health of Pavarotti (RIP) made me look up some of his stuff on youtube and I was WOWED. (Prime example: Pavarotti doing "Una Furtiva Lagrima". He called it his favorite piece to sing)

After that I tried some of the legends. Domingo and Carreras at first. (I'd stay away from The 3 Tenors though. They make them sing non-opera crap). Then the legendary sopranos like Joan Sutherland, Maria Callas, and Renee Fleming. They all rock like no one's business.

Oh, and I think that's awesome that you used to be a classic pianist. I would give my right hand to be able to play the piano like that! :D
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby The Todd on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:12 am

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:Do any of you guys know Yma Sumac?

I don't, but opera is still very new to me. I'll have to check this link out later. Thanks, Dee!
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:49 am

I don't know why but I can't sit through a full opera, even when I like it (gave several a try when there were a lot of opera recordings on TV last summer) but I have no problem with opera movies. Why aren't there more of them?

At least peasants like me still have the gala evenings.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:03 am

The Todd wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:Do any of you guys know Yma Sumac?

I don't, but opera is still very new to me. I'll have to check this link out later. Thanks, Dee!

Well, I guess she's oficially an opera singer. But in terms of her voice she certainly could be - it's said to span as much as five octaves at times.

She's this slightly mysterious Peruvian-born legend who performed in several films and on stage. She really has an amazing voice, IMHO.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 am

Al_Shut wrote:I don't know why but I can't sit through a full opera, even when I like it (gave several a try when there were a lot of opera recordings on TV last summer) but I have no problem with opera movies. Why aren't there more of them?

What's an opera movie?

The only opera I saw for real was Turandot. That was awesome- because it was in this huge old opera-house and I was kind of swept away by the ambience, the voices and the set. On tv I could never concentrate on them either.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Al Shut on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:19 am

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:I don't know why but I can't sit through a full opera, even when I like it (gave several a try when there were a lot of opera recordings on TV last summer) but I have no problem with opera movies. Why aren't there more of them?

What's an opera movie?

The only opera I saw for real was Turandot. That was awesome- because it was in this huge old opera-house and I was kind of swept away by the ambience, the voices and the set. On tv I could never concentrate on them either.

An opera filmed as an movie instead of recording a live stage performance with a camera.

edit- prime example Trollflötjen (The Magic Flute)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:

What's an opera movie?

An opera filmed as an movie instead of recording a live stage performance with a camera.

edit- prime example Trollflötjen (The Magic Flute)

But, do they talk in between? Because if they do, than maybe Yma Sumac would qualify as an opera singer after all. She's really, really cool - you know.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Todd on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 am

The Todd managed to time a business trip to NYC so that it coincided with my tickets to La Traviata at the Metropolitan Opera House. My first ever live opera performance!

I gotta say, it was awesome. Opera is definitely something that needs to be seen live! Gave me chills when some of the songs that I was waiting to hear started playing....

The performance I saw starred the legendary Renee Fleming as Violetta and Matthew Polenzani as Alfredo. Polezani, I had never heard of before this performance, but he was outstanding in the tenor role. His performance of Brindisi was quite exceptional. Fleming was absolutely breathtaking in her performance. An amazing actress as well as singer, she conveyed Violetta's tragedy brilliantly.

The sets were truly stunning. I have a dvd of a performance of La Traviata that was done in Germany with a minimalist stage. This production featured sets designed by Franco Zeffirelli (director of the controversial 1968 Romeo And Juliet) and were gorgeous! The highlight being Flora's party set during Act II, Scene 2. The stage was literally transformed into a miniature circus.

All in all, I loved everything about this performance. And I'm glad to have seen Fleming while she is still singing. For those unfamiliar with the story, here is the opera, broken down into its 3 acts: La Traviata by Verdi.
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:59 am

There was one I liked on "Great Performances", which was a film of "The Nightingale".

PBS site

If you are ever able to find it, watch it. I think Miss Dessay's voice is wonderful. But don't let all the CGI detract from the story or performances.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:36 am

LaDracul wrote:If you are ever able to find it, watch it. I think Miss Dessay's voice is wonderful.

Natalie Dessay was outstanding as Lucia in Lucia di Lammermoor to kick off The Met's 2007-2008 season. I've heard recordings of her, but have yet to see her live. That will be in May!

Back in mid-December, I went to see The Met's production of Romeo et Juliet starring Anna Netrebko and Roberto Alagna. WOW. That was awesome. I wasn't familiar with the music from Gounod's opera, having heard only one song on CD prior to attending. But that didn't stop me from loving it!

The sets were amazing, with a spinning cirular platform in the middle of the stage, a suspended bed, and rotating set pieces. It was original and never bland or pedestrian.

I had never seen or heard Alagna before (and knew him only as Angela Gheorghiu's husband), but he not only held him own, but floored me with his voice and acting.

Of course, that leads me to the highlight. Anna Netrebko as Juliet. What can I say? The woman is absolutely fucking gorgeous, the BEST soprano voice that I have ever heard, and she breaths life into every role she plays. I could feel her sorrow and pain in the final act. And the notes she hits in the best song of the opera (Dieu! Quel frisson court dans les veines! - which she sings before drinking the poison) made my spine tingle. It will forever be an opera highlight in my life to be able to say that I saw this woman perform in her prime. Netrebko could be considered among the best ever, and I got to see her live (from the 2nd row as well! :D).

Not my favorite opera of the ones I've seen, but I can't pass up any chance to see Anna Netrebko. Ever.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:33 am

I prefer Firefox though Opera did the tabbed thing first.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby junesquad on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Well, it wasn't exactly an opera, but my wife and I went to see a Broadway musical yesterday. It was phenomenal. Wicked. It's the untold story of the witches of Oz: Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West and Galinda, the good witch. The tag line is "So Much Happened Before Dorothy Dropped In." Great story, Great Music, solid 10/10. There is a book on which the musical is based, but don't settle for the book because the two are EXTREMELY different and, frankly, the musical blows the book out of the water. Catch it at a city near you.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:17 pm

junesquad wrote:Well, it wasn't exactly an opera, but my wife and I went to see a Broadway musical yesterday. It was phenomenal. Wicked. It's the untold story of the witches of Oz: Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West and Galinda, the good witch. The tag line is "So Much Happened Before Dorothy Dropped In." Great story, Great Music, solid 10/10. There is a book on which the musical is based, but don't settle for the book because the two are EXTREMELY different and, frankly, the musical blows the book out of the water. Catch it at a city near you.

Plant!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby junesquad on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:02 pm

minstrel wrote:
junesquad wrote:Well, it wasn't exactly an opera, but my wife and I went to see a Broadway musical yesterday. It was phenomenal. Wicked. It's the untold story of the witches of Oz: Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West and Galinda, the good witch. The tag line is "So Much Happened Before Dorothy Dropped In." Great story, Great Music, solid 10/10. There is a book on which the musical is based, but don't settle for the book because the two are EXTREMELY different and, frankly, the musical blows the book out of the water. Catch it at a city near you.

Plant!

Plant?
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Rorschach77 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:26 pm

I have to say I'm simultaniously blown away and not that there is an opera thread on here! I mean, I figured there were well-rounded geeks lurking about the forum! TheTodd, with what you said about just getting into opera, i'm reminded of Pretty Woman. No, I don't think you look like Julia Roberts. But there is the scene when Gere takes her to the opera and says something along the lines that opera has two effects, either you love it or you don't. Now, those who don't will come to appreciate it for what it is, but those who love it...it becomes part of their soul. I always thought that was appropriate and I bring it up constantly to my friends when I try and explain what I do. I am actually an opera singer. Classically trained, bachelors in music, all that. And I just wanted to say that if anyone that DOESN'T live near the Met in N.Y. (if it's still there...I think Cloverfield ate it...), they have started broadcasting performances via linkup at Regal Cinemas around the country. I am particularily looking forward to seeing La Boheme(my favorite) in April right before my birthday. ANYWHO...I just saw how long this post is...i'll shut up now....wow, I can rant, huh?
"And i'm up while dawn is breaking, even though my heart is aching. I should be drinking a toast to absent friends instead of these comedians."
Rorschach77
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Rorschach77 wrote:they have started broadcasting performances via linkup at Regal Cinemas around the country. I am particularily looking forward to seeing La Boheme(my favorite) in April right before my birthday.

They also play them on PBS on Great Performances at the Met. The new season on TV hasn't started yet. That is how I got hooked, catching Bellini's I Puritani from the 2006-2007 Season, with Anna Netrebko.

And yes, the Met is still there. Going in May! :D
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Rorschach77 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Ya, I like being able to catch them on PBS, but in the movie theater is the next best thing to seeing it live!
"And i'm up while dawn is breaking, even though my heart is aching. I should be drinking a toast to absent friends instead of these comedians."
Rorschach77
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby junesquad on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:06 am

Rorschach77 wrote:I have to say I'm simultaniously blown away and not that there is an opera thread on here! I mean, I figured there were well-rounded geeks lurking about the forum! TheTodd, with what you said about just getting into opera, i'm reminded of Pretty Woman. No, I don't think you look like Julia Roberts. But there is the scene when Gere takes her to the opera and says something along the lines that opera has two effects, either you love it or you don't. Now, those who don't will come to appreciate it for what it is, but those who love it...it becomes part of their soul. I always thought that was appropriate and I bring it up constantly to my friends when I try and explain what I do. I am actually an opera singer. Classically trained, bachelors in music, all that. And I just wanted to say that if anyone that DOESN'T live near the Met in N.Y. (if it's still there...I think Cloverfield ate it...), they have started broadcasting performances via linkup at Regal Cinemas around the country. I am particularily looking forward to seeing La Boheme(my favorite) in April right before my birthday. ANYWHO...I just saw how long this post is...i'll shut up now....wow, I can rant, huh?

I actually watched Pretty Woman with my wife today and we were talking about the quote. You are right that it is appropriate...

"People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic. They either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul."
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Rorschach77 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:46 am

junesquad wrote:
Rorschach77 wrote:I have to say I'm simultaniously blown away and not that there is an opera thread on here! I mean, I figured there were well-rounded geeks lurking about the forum! TheTodd, with what you said about just getting into opera, i'm reminded of Pretty Woman. No, I don't think you look like Julia Roberts. But there is the scene when Gere takes her to the opera and says something along the lines that opera has two effects, either you love it or you don't. Now, those who don't will come to appreciate it for what it is, but those who love it...it becomes part of their soul. I always thought that was appropriate and I bring it up constantly to my friends when I try and explain what I do. I am actually an opera singer. Classically trained, bachelors in music, all that. And I just wanted to say that if anyone that DOESN'T live near the Met in N.Y. (if it's still there...I think Cloverfield ate it...), they have started broadcasting performances via linkup at Regal Cinemas around the country. I am particularily looking forward to seeing La Boheme(my favorite) in April right before my birthday. ANYWHO...I just saw how long this post is...i'll shut up now....wow, I can rant, huh?

I actually watched Pretty Woman with my wife today and we were talking about the quote. You are right that it is appropriate...

"People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic. They either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul."

Thaaaaaaaaaaat's it!!!!
Rorschach77
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby junesquad on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Rorschach77 wrote:
junesquad wrote:

Thaaaaaaaaaaat's it!!!!

Should be plastered everywhere. It's so true.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Return to Music