Dream Gigs

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Dream Gigs

Postby Seppuku on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:43 am

If you could see any band or artist (dead or alive) play in their prime, who would it be and circa what era (or maybe even cite a particular show)?

For me, it'd be a toss-up between seeing Otis Redding play Monterey, and seeing The Sex Pistols play at The Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester on June 4th 1976, which had Mark E Smith (The Fall), The Buzzcocks, Tony Wilson, Morrissey and a nascent Joy Division in attendance. Apparently this gig was so good that someone actually wrote a book* about it!

*If you do plan on buying this book, please make sure you buy it in the window that pops up from the link, as I get 6p per sale.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:46 am

Great idea for a thread!

For me, first off, the big guns in their early days come to mind:

a concert of the Beatles in Hamburg somewhere on the Reeperbahn in 1960/61. (Oh- and a Tom Waits concert there too!)

Elvis -a really early gig - maybe at the Overton Park Shell in 1954 (where the shaking legs thing wasn't an act yet).

Then:
I'd second the Sex Pistols gig -but I'd also go for many other punk concerts that I missed in time -either at CBGB's or the Paradiso in Amsterdam.

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong in concert.

And - the Comedian Harmonists in the KitKat Klub in Berlin in the 1920's.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 am

James Brown, either with the Famous Flames, the James Brown Orchestra circa '67 or so ("Cold Sweat" crew), or the original J.B.'s.

I don't care which show or which particular night...even if they were off or not at their peak, they were probably still the best band on the planet any given day, any given time.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:15 pm

For starters...

Presley - the 'comeback' gig 1968.

Hendrix- anywhere.

Dylan - the notorious "Judas!" gig.

Miles Davis - anywhere circa late 50s- early 60s (preferably with John Coltrane).

Sex Pistols - Manchester 1976.

Bowie - retiring 'Ziggy Stardust' on stage in London 1973.

Nirvana - the unplugged gig 1994.

Sinatra - any concert in the 60's or early 70's.

Patti Smith - performing the whole of 'Horses' at her London Meltdown 2004 or 2005.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Janis Joplin! Anytime. Anywhere.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby junesquad on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:27 pm

I would like to see Celine Dion as her voice is simply amazing, but it would have to be a Best Of concert as I don't like much of her music. Damn shame...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:39 pm

Col. Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade Night 2 - Covering the entirety of Pink Floyd's greatest work, Animals.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - January 24th, 1985 - Live in Tokyo.

And this one:

I saw this very show in person, my first concert ever (amazing that this is the poster on Wikipedia!), but I'd like to relive the dream and actually accept the pipe filled with the sweet, sweet reefer from the guy seated next to me.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Guns n' Roses eeeasily. I'm a few years to young to have really enjoyed them and historically speaking, they did some of the best shows. On a night when Axel showed up and stayed that is. :wink:

I like Matt Sorum a lot. Make him my drummer.

Heck, a lot of those bands in that era were amazing experiences. Van Halen with David Lee Roth, AC/DC with Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. Metallica with Cliff Burton. Master of Puppets is still my close favorite.

I don't have many small acts or stuff that I'd care for. Just these big bands.

Sublime too....
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:02 pm

The Who in 1972-1973.

The Allman Brothers Band in 1971 (before Duane's death, of course).

Fairport Convention in 1969, at the time of "Liege and Lief". Sandy Denny - best singer EVER.

Genesis in 1973 - Peter Gabriel was still with the band, and Phil Collins stayed on the damn drum stool.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer on the "Brain Salad Surgery" tour.

There are others I'll think of later ...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:15 pm

Fawst wrote:
And this one:

I saw this very show in person, my first concert ever (amazing that this is the poster on Wikipedia!), but I'd like to relive the dream and actually accept the pipe filled with the sweet, sweet reefer from the guy seated next to me.

I saw that concert at Earls Court. Was my first proper concert too.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:43 pm

David Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust tour

Nirvana at any time, but being at The Blind Pig, Reading, or the Unplugged show would have been fantastic.

The Police when the tickets were reasonably priced.

Monty Python at The Hollywood Bowl

The Ramones show that had Johnny Rotten, Steve Jones, and Joe Strummer in attendance. Strummer went home, quit his R&B band, and formed The Clash.

That Pixies reunion show I had a ticket for would have been nice.

The first Smashing Pumpkins show with the newly rehired Jimmy Chamberlin at St. Andrew's Hall in Detroit. I offered to buy my friend's ticket if he would drive and he said no. I still hate him for that.

Nine Inch Nails
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:48 pm

I would have liked to see U2 on The Joshua Tree tour. Any city. That album is the greatest thing they've ever produced.

The "Under a Blood Red Sky" show at Red Rocks would have been cool. Or actually seeing the Beatles there. It didn't even sell out.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm completely jealous of my mother on this front. She saw Hendrix at his prime, Elvis at his not-quite-so-prime, the Supremes right before Ms. Ross up and left, The Temptations when they were all still alive, The Mamas and The Papas when they were just starting out, and she grew up in the same little New England town that Joe Perry did (she was about five years older) and got to see Aerosmith before the drugs kicked in and before top 40 stole their souls.

Damn. I wonder if my kids will ever be jealous of the acts that I've seen.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Fawst wrote:
And this one:

Saw it at the Pontiac Silverdome that summer. First show that they had played a complete Dark Side Of The Moon since the 70's.

Lady Sheridan wrote:I would have liked to see U2 on The Joshua Tree tour. Any city. That album is the greatest thing they've ever produced.

I'll fully agree with this.

Here's mine, although it could easily change the next day.

-The Grateful Dead - Either at one of the infamous Acid Test parties or somewhere in the 1973 to 1974 range (their peak musically in my opinion).

-Miles Davis - anywhere from 1970 to 1974. I love the electric stuff.

-Don Ellis - 1971-1973. If the name doesn't ring a bell, he did the soundtrack to The French Connection.

-The Police - Synchronicity tour.
-Pink Floyd - 1975-1977.
-Led Zeppelin - 1973-1975
-Blues Brothers - Any freaking show possible.
...and that's a wrap for now.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Seppuku on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 pm

Fievel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Fawst wrote:
And this one:

Saw it at the Pontiac Silverdome that summer. First show that they had played a complete Dark Side Of The Moon since the 70's.

I was also there at Earls Court! I'd say more, but I have to admit, I can't really remember much about it. I think I might have been dragged there by my parents. (My mum's still got the tickets stuck under a fridge magnet in her kitchen).

Other gigs I'd like to have been to? I'd like to have had a close encounter with Funkadelic's Mothership Connection as it landed.

Also, Bob Marley's big visit to London where he recorded the most famous version of No Woman, No Cry would have been legendary. (Ha, that song takes on a whole new meaning after today's Club Labia-Touch debacle).

I wouldn't have minded finding out just how bad that brown acid was in Woodstock either.

:P Damn, I'm getting fantasy withdrawal now.
Last edited by Seppuku on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 pm

Neil Young - Harvest Era would be one of them for sure
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:50 pm

Tuesday December 4, 1956
The "Million Dollar Quartet" at Sun Studios in Memphis Tennessee.
Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, and Carl Perkins.
I have stood where they stood.That little room has more life in it than most people do. It is an unbelievable feeling.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:23 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Neil Young - Harvest Era would be one of them for sure

Then I'd highly recommend Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971. It was released this year, and was the live album that Young considered releasing back in the day, but then decided to create Harvest instead. Really amazing, and would be on my top 10... except that it's technically 36 years old!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:42 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Neil Young - Harvest Era would be one of them for sure

Then I'd highly recommend Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971. It was released this year, and was the live album that Young considered releasing back in the day, but then decided to create Harvest instead. Really amazing, and would be on my top 10... except that it's technically 36 years old!

I actually have it. I am a huge Neil Young fan. It should have been the concert i mentioned but I was just saying anything in that era would do ;).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:49 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I would have liked to see U2 on The Joshua Tree tour. Any city. That album is the greatest thing they've ever produced.

The "Under a Blood Red Sky" show at Red Rocks would have been cool. Or actually seeing the Beatles there. It didn't even sell out.

I saw the Joshua Tree tour (I must have been about 12), then the Rattle and Hum Tour, and Zoo tv. the last of these, touring on Achtung Baby and Zooropa, was by far the best IMO. I'm not actually much of a U2 fan any more, but they are a very entertaining live act, and I still quite like most of Achtung Baby. Having said that, Having twice seen them do the big 'Streets have no name' opening like you see in the 'Rattle and Hum' movie - pretty exciting and emotionally charged performance - and their faithful would just go nuts.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby minstrel on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:34 am

tapehead wrote:

I saw the Joshua Tree tour (I must have been about 12), then the Rattle and Hum Tour, and Zoo tv. the last of these, touring on Achtung Baby and Zooropa, was by far the best IMO. I'm not actually much of a U2 fan any more, but they are a very entertaining live act, and I still quite like most of Achtung Baby. Having said that, Having twice seen them do the big 'Streets have no name' opening like you see in the 'Rattle and Hum' movie - pretty exciting and emotionally charged performance - and their faithful would just go nuts.

I have a VHS of the "Under a Blood Red Sky" concert, and it's incredible. You see a young band full of passion playing like their lives are on the line. They were great.

The weird thing is, they didn't even have much really good material then. Most of the songs aren't anywhere near as good as the ones they'd later come up with, but the concert is amazing!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Return to Music