something to sleep to

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

something to sleep to

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:38 am

Post the songs you play when you're trying to wind down from a long day and get ready for bed.

some of mine:

When You Dream - Barenaked Ladies
The Long and Winding Road - Beatles
The Way I Feel Inside - Zombies
User avatar
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH
 
Posts: 7196
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:43 am

I can't listen to music to sleep. I always end up getting into the music... analyzing it.. grooving along with it... etc.
My favorite sleep sound is a nice classic box fan blowing right at me, even in single-digit temps in the winter. If I can't have that, I'll listen to rainstorms on the iPod, but I hate doing that because then I'll get tangled in the headphone wires.
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12044
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:14 am

I took a friend of mine out to the Caledonian Canal on my boat a couple of months back, and I ended up fuming at the fact that not more than 10 minutes went by without his safety ipod blaring. I probably love music more than the next man, but he would literally start to get the shakes when faced with the idea of having to confront his own thoughts without music to blare them out.

Winding down to music's cool, but actually having to have something playing in order to sleep is pretty skewed, if ya ask me.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:20 am

Tirsteza, Pele, Rachel's, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Explosions In the Sky these are some bands that I sleep too every night.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:24 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Winding down to music's cool, but actually having to have something playing in order to sleep is pretty skewed, if ya ask me.


Ive been listening to music to fall asleep to for as long as I can remember. It's just become habit at this point. Also, during college helped provide some much need aural blockage for roommates etc... I dont listen anything that you really think a long with but rather feel. It is mostly of the instrumental variety of music as well. I am probably weird for putting music on all night but I feel like it sets a mood for my dream state.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby bamf on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:06 am

I usually have the radio on Coast to Coast Am when my head hits the pillow. When Im not in the mood for George Noory I fall back on the classical pops channel on satellite. I like the strings, they soothe.

As for trippy music, years ago on this trip through Canada I was on break after about 4 hours of driving through Winnipeg. My boy put on Kid A (Radiohead) and gave me some of the strangest, seemingly fever induced hallucination type dreams. I actually woke up confused as to where I was. what a mindfuck that was.
User avatar
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby minstrel on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:17 am

When I was a kid, I couldn't get to sleep without playing back my favorite music in my head. I'd rock my head back and forth on the pillow to keep the beat - I'm sure my parents thought I was mentally ill.

I haven't needed music to sleep for decades now. At least, not to actually go to sleep.

But often, the last thing I do at night is put on my headphones, put on one of my favorite albums, turn up the volume, and just bliss out. Once I'm seriously blissed out, I go to bed and fall asleep instantly.

Currently, I've been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull, Yes, early Genesis, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers, etc.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:54 am

Anything on WDR2 (German radio station) after midnight. Theyplay music to fall asleep to on purpose.

Of course 90% of the people listening to radio at 1am are not trying to sleep but doing 150km/h on the Autobahn so it's kind of annoying.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:15 am

bamf wrote:I usually have the radio on Coast to Coast Am when my head hits the pillow. When Im not in the mood for George Noory I fall back on the classical pops channel on satellite. I like the strings, they soothe.

As for trippy music, years ago on this trip through Canada I was on break after about 4 hours of driving through Winnipeg. My boy put on Kid A (Radiohead) and gave me some of the strangest, seemingly fever induced hallucination type dreams. I actually woke up confused as to where I was. what a mindfuck that was.


Hell...
I live in Winnipeg and I still wake up confused as to where the fuck I am...
User avatar
havocSchultz
is full of stars...
 
Posts: 15695
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am
Location: living amongst a hazy nothing...

Postby Fawst on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:19 am

When I'm falling asleep, I usually come up with music in my head. It's always some of the greatest techno beats, or Final Fantasy style compositions, and it kills me because I can never hold on to those. It's like I have a radio in my brain and the stations fade in and out, never to be heard again. Sad, really.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
User avatar
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: MacLaren's

Postby instant_karma on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:50 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I took a friend of mine out to the Caledonian Canal on my boat a couple of months back, and I ended up fuming at the fact that not more than 10 minutes went by without his safety ipod blaring. I probably love music more than the next man, but he would literally start to get the shakes when faced with the idea of having to confront his own thoughts without music to blare them out.

Winding down to music's cool, but actually having to have something playing in order to sleep is pretty skewed, if ya ask me.


Nothing to do with the thread subject. Just wanted to express jealousy that you took this boat trip. It's something I'd like to do one day.

As for sleepy tunes, Chillout by KLF or the Apollo album by Brian Eno.
User avatar
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Thereabouts

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:06 pm

The Twin Peaks soundtrack always works for me.

That, and Branford Marsalis' Hot House Flowers. Mellow jazz sax... oh yeah.
ImageImage
User avatar
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Stumptown

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:10 pm

i also like me some Rufus Wainwright at night time
User avatar
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH
 
Posts: 7196
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:24 pm

minstrel wrote:When I was a kid, I couldn't get to sleep without playing back my favorite music in my head. I'd rock my head back and forth on the pillow to keep the beat - I'm sure my parents thought I was mentally ill.

I haven't needed music to sleep for decades now. At least, not to actually go to sleep.

But often, the last thing I do at night is put on my headphones, put on one of my favorite albums, turn up the volume, and just bliss out. Once I'm seriously blissed out, I go to bed and fall asleep instantly.

Currently, I've been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull, Yes, early Genesis, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers, etc.


Oh hells yes.
Especially the early Genesis....Selling England by the Pound is still a gorgeous album....and the remastered version?
Hard nipples all around.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:32 pm

instant_karma wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:I took a friend of mine out to the Caledonian Canal on my boat a couple of months back.


Nothing to do with the thread subject. Just wanted to express jealousy that you took this boat trip. It's something I'd like to do one day.


Yep but think about the kind of weather we've been having lately. Now imagine you have to live in a house that sinks a couple of metres into the sea and rocks from side to side with every little bit of breeze, coupled with the constant clacking of a thousand masts....

Image

(Me, from the Photo Album thread).


:wink:

I'd recommend a trip to the Western end of the Caledonian Canal to anyone. You're surrounded by mountains on both sides and pass by a dozen tiny islands (one of which is about 100 metres squared and houses the remains of what looks like a medieval ampitheatre); not to mention the black dwarf dolphins that pop up periodically. That place would make a killer end to any world pilgrimage.

(Karma started the thread-jack, not me).


Winding down music:

Cocteau Twins
Billie Holiday
Neu!
Popol Vuh
Tinariwen
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:35 pm

Long winded son of a threadjacking bitch.
Good music choices though, so it all balances out.....
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:44 pm

The Vicar wrote:Long winded son of a threadjacking bitch.


The Vicar wrote:Good music choices though, so it all balances out.....


:D

Ah, I see your style: you've got one sentence of threadjacking for every sentence on topic. I'll make a note of that for the future. Cheers Vic!
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:46 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Long winded son of a threadjacking bitch.


The Vicar wrote:Good music choices though, so it all balances out.....


:D

Ah, I see your style: you've got one sentence of threadjacking for every sentence on topic. I'll make a note of that for the future. Cheers Vic!


Just trying to help, brother..... :wink:
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:50 pm

The Vicar wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Long winded son of a threadjacking bitch.


The Vicar wrote:Good music choices though, so it all balances out.....


:D

Ah, I see your style: you've got one sentence of threadjacking for every sentence on topic. I'll make a note of that for the future. Cheers Vic!


Just trying to help, brother..... :wink:


Much obliged, Mr. Hogan.

Now for the on-topic sentence...In The Court of The Crimson King's a really nice album to sleep to, just as long as you skip 20th Century Schizoid Man, otherwise you'll be up half the night.
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Long winded son of a threadjacking bitch.


The Vicar wrote:Good music choices though, so it all balances out.....


:D

Ah, I see your style: you've got one sentence of threadjacking for every sentence on topic. I'll make a note of that for the future. Cheers Vic!


Just trying to help, brother..... :wink:


Much obliged, Mr. Hogan.

Now for the on-topic sentence...In The Court of The Crimson King's a really nice album to sleep to, just as long as you skip 20th Century Schizoid Man, otherwise you'll be up half the night.


Excellent choice - fortunately, Schizoid Man comes up first so you have time to recover.
Put Wake of Poseiden on the CD changer too and you're off to the world of dreams......
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:59 pm

Fievel wrote:I can't listen to music to sleep. I always end up getting into the music... analyzing it.. grooving along with it... etc.
My favorite sleep sound is a nice classic box fan blowing right at me, even in single-digit temps in the winter.


I am exactly the same, except my fan is oscilating. 8)
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:34 am

i also dig listening to acoustic stuff at night. i have some stripped down versions of songs like that

Coldplay's Yellow is one
User avatar
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH
 
Posts: 7196
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:03 am

Foo Fighters just had that double disc with one of the discs being acoustic and it's wonderful. I've listened to a few of those tracks while in bed and it's very relaxing.

EDIT: The album's "In Your Honor"; I'm making my bf get me "Skin and Bones" for xmas hopefully.
User avatar
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Random tree

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:30 am

Folk music is good for sleeping. Especially Celtic folk. I love to listen to artists like Silly Wizard, De Dannan, the Chieftains, etc. to wind down.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby tapehead on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:38 am

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II

Brian Eno - Discreet Music

synaesthesia and lucid dreaming.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 am

The Soundtrack from Arizona Dream - it's by Goran Bregovic with lyrics by Iggy Pop and the Bulgarian Voices.

It's fantastic music (much better than the movie) - and a guaranteed sleep safe lullaby.
Image
User avatar
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:36 pm

Postby Crimson King on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:52 am

I got a couple Kinks songs that I like to put on every now and then when I'm trying to go to sleep. Joe Dassin's Le Champs Elysees is also a good one. I like to throw on some long chill songs. Some Billy Joel (Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Piano Man), Elton John (Rocket Man, Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Tiny Dancer), The Band - The Weight, The Beatles (In My Life, Here Comes the Sun, Blackbird, etc...), Chantal Kreviazuk - Leaving On a Jet Plane, Simon & Garfunkel stuff is cool, Sia - Breathe Me (I fucking loved Six Feet Under, and that's where I heard that song).

There's a bunch of other stuff I use, depends on how I'm feeling and how easily I feel I'm gonna sleep. I don't always use music. Sometimes I'll throw on a movie and put it on repeat with the volume really low. One time I got home, somewhat drunk, and I just put my entire music library on random, didn't care what played. Didn't matter...
Image
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
User avatar
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:40 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:56 am

Portishead album Glory Box is pretty good for getting off to dreamland. Also works great as a hangover cure too.
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Crimson King wrote:Sometimes I'll throw on a movie and put it on repeat with the volume really low.


My roomie uses movies, too. His DVD of Apollo 13 is unlike any other in our collection. You play it until the end, and the menu comes up like any other DVD. But while it's waiting for you to select Play or Special Features or something, it literally plays the entire movie soundtrack on repeat! Not just a minute or so of it. It plays the whole damn thing over and over. That makes it good to sleep to.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:32 pm

I never listen to music before I goto bed. I watch TV/movies until I fall asleep.
User avatar
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: The Deuce

Postby WalterBunny on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:26 am

No longer listen to music to get to sleep, but when I did, anything handy would work. For a couple of years, it was various Misfits CDs. And the Residents were always good if I wanted nice, disturbing dreams.

But nowadays, like others, it's the good ol' box fan. Hooray, box fan!
Image
User avatar
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: Flying over Japan

something to sleep to

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Moby's PLAY album. I use to put that on to sleep too.

Excellent album!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:27 am

For quite a while I would put on Siouxsie and The Banshees' second hits album Twice Upon A Time when I was heading off to slumberland. Not sure how but it worked wonders. Great album too. I was usually out by the end of "Swimming Horses."
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3946
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:36 am

The soundtrack to Riven or Myst 3: Exile. Lovely.

Actually, pretty much just soundtracks if I'm going to go to sleep...
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am


Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests