something to sleep to

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

something to sleep to

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:38 am

Post the songs you play when you're trying to wind down from a long day and get ready for bed.

some of mine:

When You Dream - Barenaked Ladies
The Long and Winding Road - Beatles
The Way I Feel Inside - Zombies
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:43 am

I can't listen to music to sleep. I always end up getting into the music... analyzing it.. grooving along with it... etc.
My favorite sleep sound is a nice classic box fan blowing right at me, even in single-digit temps in the winter. If I can't have that, I'll listen to rainstorms on the iPod, but I hate doing that because then I'll get tangled in the headphone wires.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:14 am

I took a friend of mine out to the Caledonian Canal on my boat a couple of months back, and I ended up fuming at the fact that not more than 10 minutes went by without his safety ipod blaring. I probably love music more than the next man, but he would literally start to get the shakes when faced with the idea of having to confront his own thoughts without music to blare them out.

Winding down to music's cool, but actually having to have something playing in order to sleep is pretty skewed, if ya ask me.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:20 am

Tirsteza, Pele, Rachel's, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Explosions In the Sky these are some bands that I sleep too every night.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:24 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Winding down to music's cool, but actually having to have something playing in order to sleep is pretty skewed, if ya ask me.

Ive been listening to music to fall asleep to for as long as I can remember. It's just become habit at this point. Also, during college helped provide some much need aural blockage for roommates etc... I dont listen anything that you really think a long with but rather feel. It is mostly of the instrumental variety of music as well. I am probably weird for putting music on all night but I feel like it sets a mood for my dream state.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bamf on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:06 am

I usually have the radio on Coast to Coast Am when my head hits the pillow. When Im not in the mood for George Noory I fall back on the classical pops channel on satellite. I like the strings, they soothe.

As for trippy music, years ago on this trip through Canada I was on break after about 4 hours of driving through Winnipeg. My boy put on Kid A (Radiohead) and gave me some of the strangest, seemingly fever induced hallucination type dreams. I actually woke up confused as to where I was. what a mindfuck that was.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby minstrel on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:17 am

When I was a kid, I couldn't get to sleep without playing back my favorite music in my head. I'd rock my head back and forth on the pillow to keep the beat - I'm sure my parents thought I was mentally ill.

I haven't needed music to sleep for decades now. At least, not to actually go to sleep.

But often, the last thing I do at night is put on my headphones, put on one of my favorite albums, turn up the volume, and just bliss out. Once I'm seriously blissed out, I go to bed and fall asleep instantly.

Currently, I've been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull, Yes, early Genesis, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers, etc.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:54 am

Anything on WDR2 (German radio station) after midnight. Theyplay music to fall asleep to on purpose.

Of course 90% of the people listening to radio at 1am are not trying to sleep but doing 150km/h on the Autobahn so it's kind of annoying.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:15 am

bamf wrote:I usually have the radio on Coast to Coast Am when my head hits the pillow. When Im not in the mood for George Noory I fall back on the classical pops channel on satellite. I like the strings, they soothe.

As for trippy music, years ago on this trip through Canada I was on break after about 4 hours of driving through Winnipeg. My boy put on Kid A (Radiohead) and gave me some of the strangest, seemingly fever induced hallucination type dreams. I actually woke up confused as to where I was. what a mindfuck that was.

Hell...
I live in Winnipeg and I still wake up confused as to where the fuck I am...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fawst on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:19 am

When I'm falling asleep, I usually come up with music in my head. It's always some of the greatest techno beats, or Final Fantasy style compositions, and it kills me because I can never hold on to those. It's like I have a radio in my brain and the stations fade in and out, never to be heard again. Sad, really.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:50 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I took a friend of mine out to the Caledonian Canal on my boat a couple of months back, and I ended up fuming at the fact that not more than 10 minutes went by without his safety ipod blaring. I probably love music more than the next man, but he would literally start to get the shakes when faced with the idea of having to confront his own thoughts without music to blare them out.

Winding down to music's cool, but actually having to have something playing in order to sleep is pretty skewed, if ya ask me.

Nothing to do with the thread subject. Just wanted to express jealousy that you took this boat trip. It's something I'd like to do one day.

As for sleepy tunes, Chillout by KLF or the Apollo album by Brian Eno.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:06 pm

The Twin Peaks soundtrack always works for me.

That, and Branford Marsalis' Hot House Flowers. Mellow jazz sax... oh yeah.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:10 pm

i also like me some Rufus Wainwright at night time
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:24 pm

minstrel wrote:When I was a kid, I couldn't get to sleep without playing back my favorite music in my head. I'd rock my head back and forth on the pillow to keep the beat - I'm sure my parents thought I was mentally ill.

I haven't needed music to sleep for decades now. At least, not to actually go to sleep.

But often, the last thing I do at night is put on my headphones, put on one of my favorite albums, turn up the volume, and just bliss out. Once I'm seriously blissed out, I go to bed and fall asleep instantly.

Currently, I've been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull, Yes, early Genesis, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers, etc.

Oh hells yes.
Especially the early Genesis....Selling England by the Pound is still a gorgeous album....and the remastered version?
Hard nipples all around.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:32 pm

instant_karma wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:I took a friend of mine out to the Caledonian Canal on my boat a couple of months back.

Nothing to do with the thread subject. Just wanted to express jealousy that you took this boat trip. It's something I'd like to do one day.

Yep but think about the kind of weather we've been having lately. Now imagine you have to live in a house that sinks a couple of metres into the sea and rocks from side to side with every little bit of breeze, coupled with the constant clacking of a thousand masts....

(Me, from the Photo Album thread).

:wink:

I'd recommend a trip to the Western end of the Caledonian Canal to anyone. You're surrounded by mountains on both sides and pass by a dozen tiny islands (one of which is about 100 metres squared and houses the remains of what looks like a medieval ampitheatre); not to mention the black dwarf dolphins that pop up periodically. That place would make a killer end to any world pilgrimage.

(Karma started the thread-jack, not me).

Winding down music:

Cocteau Twins
Billie Holiday
Neu!
Popol Vuh
Tinariwen
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:35 pm

Long winded son of a threadjacking bitch.
Good music choices though, so it all balances out.....
The Vicar

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:44 pm

The Vicar wrote:Long winded son of a threadjacking bitch.

The Vicar wrote:Good music choices though, so it all balances out.....

:D

Ah, I see your style: you've got one sentence of threadjacking for every sentence on topic. I'll make a note of that for the future. Cheers Vic!
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:46 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Ah, I see your style: you've got one sentence of threadjacking for every sentence on topic. I'll make a note of that for the future. Cheers Vic!

Just trying to help, brother..... :wink:
The Vicar

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:50 pm

The Vicar wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Much obliged, Mr. Hogan.

Now for the on-topic sentence...In The Court of The Crimson King's a really nice album to sleep to, just as long as you skip 20th Century Schizoid Man, otherwise you'll be up half the night.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Much obliged, Mr. Hogan.

Now for the on-topic sentence...In The Court of The Crimson King's a really nice album to sleep to, just as long as you skip 20th Century Schizoid Man, otherwise you'll be up half the night.

Excellent choice - fortunately, Schizoid Man comes up first so you have time to recover.
Put Wake of Poseiden on the CD changer too and you're off to the world of dreams......
The Vicar

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:59 pm

Fievel wrote:I can't listen to music to sleep. I always end up getting into the music... analyzing it.. grooving along with it... etc.
My favorite sleep sound is a nice classic box fan blowing right at me, even in single-digit temps in the winter.

I am exactly the same, except my fan is oscilating. 8)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:34 am

i also dig listening to acoustic stuff at night. i have some stripped down versions of songs like that

Coldplay's Yellow is one
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:03 am

Foo Fighters just had that double disc with one of the discs being acoustic and it's wonderful. I've listened to a few of those tracks while in bed and it's very relaxing.

EDIT: The album's "In Your Honor"; I'm making my bf get me "Skin and Bones" for xmas hopefully.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:30 am

Folk music is good for sleeping. Especially Celtic folk. I love to listen to artists like Silly Wizard, De Dannan, the Chieftains, etc. to wind down.
minstrel

Postby tapehead on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:38 am

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II

Brian Eno - Discreet Music

synaesthesia and lucid dreaming.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 am

The Soundtrack from Arizona Dream - it's by Goran Bregovic with lyrics by Iggy Pop and the Bulgarian Voices.

It's fantastic music (much better than the movie) - and a guaranteed sleep safe lullaby.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Crimson King on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:52 am

I got a couple Kinks songs that I like to put on every now and then when I'm trying to go to sleep. Joe Dassin's Le Champs Elysees is also a good one. I like to throw on some long chill songs. Some Billy Joel (Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Piano Man), Elton John (Rocket Man, Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Tiny Dancer), The Band - The Weight, The Beatles (In My Life, Here Comes the Sun, Blackbird, etc...), Chantal Kreviazuk - Leaving On a Jet Plane, Simon & Garfunkel stuff is cool, Sia - Breathe Me (I fucking loved Six Feet Under, and that's where I heard that song).

There's a bunch of other stuff I use, depends on how I'm feeling and how easily I feel I'm gonna sleep. I don't always use music. Sometimes I'll throw on a movie and put it on repeat with the volume really low. One time I got home, somewhat drunk, and I just put my entire music library on random, didn't care what played. Didn't matter...
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:56 am

Portishead album Glory Box is pretty good for getting off to dreamland. Also works great as a hangover cure too.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Crimson King wrote:Sometimes I'll throw on a movie and put it on repeat with the volume really low.

My roomie uses movies, too. His DVD of Apollo 13 is unlike any other in our collection. You play it until the end, and the menu comes up like any other DVD. But while it's waiting for you to select Play or Special Features or something, it literally plays the entire movie soundtrack on repeat! Not just a minute or so of it. It plays the whole damn thing over and over. That makes it good to sleep to.
minstrel

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:32 pm

I never listen to music before I goto bed. I watch TV/movies until I fall asleep.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WalterBunny on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:26 am

No longer listen to music to get to sleep, but when I did, anything handy would work. For a couple of years, it was various Misfits CDs. And the Residents were always good if I wanted nice, disturbing dreams.

But nowadays, like others, it's the good ol' box fan. Hooray, box fan!
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

something to sleep to

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Moby's PLAY album. I use to put that on to sleep too.

Excellent album!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:27 am

For quite a while I would put on Siouxsie and The Banshees' second hits album Twice Upon A Time when I was heading off to slumberland. Not sure how but it worked wonders. Great album too. I was usually out by the end of "Swimming Horses."
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:36 am

The soundtrack to Riven or Myst 3: Exile. Lovely.

Actually, pretty much just soundtracks if I'm going to go to sleep...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music