Best New Music 2008 (Now w/ 100% More Best-Of Lists!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:59 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:even with the somewhat degraded quality of the leak, even with the looooong layoff, even with crushing expectations...

the new Portishead album, THIRD, is rather awesome.

I, of course, dig the more bouncy, propulsive tracks like "We Carry On" and "Machine Gun" (that is they're labeled correctly, never know with these early leaks) - I tagged 'em both with *****, and they get better with each listen.

I love the end of Machine Gun when the terminator shows up - awesome stuff.

The first half of 'The Rip' manages to make the new Goldfrapp LP totally obsolete, the second half doing the same to their career ( ouch! but true )

Love 'Magic Doors' when Beth sings she's 'becoming emotionally undone' - only for that Uttley piano bong to come in and emotionally undo the listener - shivers up the spine stuff.

The album is definitely an 'album album' works much better listening to the whole than specific tracks. You really need 'Deep Water' between 'We Carry On' and 'Machine Gun' just to break the sonic onslaught for a minute.

Barrow has spent his eight years well - this is easily going to be the most genial set of beats laid down this year, probably in the top ten of the decade.

An incredible record.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:31 am

doglips wrote:shivers up the spine stuff.

Only a few vocalists have the power to do that to me and Beth Gibbons is one of them. Downloading now. I was well disappointed with the last one - the good tracks sounded much better on that Live in NYC album, which is surely one of the great live albums. It's perfect.

11 years. You lazy bastards. Enjoyed that Rustin Man collaboration in the meantime at least.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:09 am

Gibbons is just amazing on this record. It's always been about juxtaposition of beats to voice with Portishead, THIRD really brings that to it's ultimate conclusion.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:22 am

While we're on the subject of juxtaposition of beats to voice, the new Hercules and Love Affair is great too. Antony Hegarty really adds another dimension to the tracks he guests on ( as pointed by every journalist everywhere......) Blind is a great track, but opener 'Time Will' really is something else, brilliant vocals.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:30 am

doglips wrote:While we're on the subject of juxtaposition of beats to voice, the new Hercules and Love Affair is great too. Antony Hegarty really adds another dimension to the tracks he guests on ( as pointed by every journalist everywhere......) Blind is a great track, but opener 'Time Will' really is something else, brilliant vocals.

With a little luck, 2008 will see a new Antony and The Johnsons album. It's been too long, it really has!!

EDIT: Also keen to hear the new Portishead album. Never liked their second record, but 'Dummy' was required listening during my teens :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:56 am

vicious_bastard wrote:Whaaa? I didn't even know this was being made. How shitty is the leak?

there's a price to be paid for your globetrotting!

's not that shabby - certainly whets the appetite...but, you know, it's that whole feed a starving man stale crackers, and he'll swear they're...um, well, some quality brand of cracker.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:13 am

unikrunk wrote:
Zarles wrote:Anyone heard the new Bauhaus? Lots of reviews out there are saying it's the shit...

From the music journal thread:
uni-jerk wrote:Now, seeing as I have spewed forth bile in my last couple of posts in here, a nice review is in order…Bauhaus, step up to the podium please.

Go Away White is a fantastic album, and fits their catalogue perfectly; that is not to say it is a riff on earlier work, this is a thought out and perfectly executed record. There are some hints of Love and Rockets in there, and, it all works. This does not sound like a reunion album, it sounds like some unearthed tracks from ’82. Like, you found a treasure chest stuffed with an unreleased Bauhaus album. And some good weed. Peter Murphy still sounds like Thurston Howell and Kermit Thee Frog’s love-child at times, but, other than that, this is tits. Magic 8-ball says, “All signs point to ‘Yes’.

Thank you, kind sir.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:20 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
vicious_bastard wrote:Whaaa? I didn't even know this was being made. How shitty is the leak?

's not that shabby - certainly whets the appetite...but, you know, it's that whole feed a starving man stale crackers, and he'll swear they're...um, well, some quality brand of cracker.

Gold plated, sir.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:28 am

doglips wrote:Gold plated, sir.

they make gold plated crackers now?

damnation, me and my peasant "Saltine" taste...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 am

I could easily 'salt' one up for you, but I'm listening to Art Brut and they just ain't doing it for me.

eugghhh, what have you done to me......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:46 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Yeah - I miss all the tabloid hysteria which is good (who is this Maddie I keep hearing snippets about? When is her album out?) but also any publicity. It's cool though - nice to be surprised with a new Portishead album after a decade. New Mars Volta snuck up on me too.

The album is a corker but I'm only on the first listen. You have distilled what I was trying to say very nicely there with your cracker analogy KCBC - it's a fabulous sounding album but it's nothing new. A few tracks tread a bit of new ground but I don't care - after 11 years I just wanted a Portishead record and that's exactly what they've delivered. If they had released an album every few years like most groups, then I'm sure they would have run out of ideas years ago.

Oooh - I love 'Small'. Great off-kilter beat and screaming synths. The quality isn't bad at all but it deserves better than a fairly low VBR and my laptop speakers.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:16 pm

doglips wrote:The album is definitely an 'album album' works much better listening to the whole than specific tracks. You really need 'Deep Water' between 'We Carry On' and 'Machine Gun' just to break the sonic onslaught for a minute.

yeah, the sequencing is exquisite. "Deep Water" 'prolly wouldn't work on its own, but sandwiched between the two bangers it's really effective.

doglips wrote:this is easily going to be the most genial set of beats laid down this year, probably in the top ten of the decade.

man, I don't know if I'd use genial - there's some eeeviiillll things roiling underneath the surface.

Probably my favorite album of the year so far...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:34 am

Just read Pitchfork's review of Neon Neon, went to the Myspace and was greeted with a track straight out of the 80's, similar to the recent Delay's stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/neonx2

Good schtuff!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:23 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
doglips wrote:The album is definitely an 'album album' works much better listening to the whole than specific tracks. You really need 'Deep Water' between 'We Carry On' and 'Machine Gun' just to break the sonic onslaught for a minute.

yeah, the sequencing is exquisite. "Deep Water" 'prolly wouldn't work on its own, but sandwiched between the two bangers it's really effective.

doglips wrote:this is easily going to be the most genial set of beats laid down this year, probably in the top ten of the decade.

man, I don't know if I'd use genial - there's some eeeviiillll things roiling underneath the surface.

Probably my favorite album of the year so far...

Easily my favourite of the year so far - I'm organising my finances as there are tickets left to see them live. £30 a pop though, but I suspect they would be well worth it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:58 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Just read Pitchfork's review of Neon Neon, went to the Myspace and was greeted with a track straight out of the 80's, similar to the recent Delay's stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/neonx2

Good schtuff!

It's definitely not what I expected one of my favorite glitch heads to be producing. Boom Bip where are the bips!?!?!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Dawn Of The Dead

The cracking whips that start this track try to give a sense of control around the track, but the rise of the zombies and the fate of our protagonist is inevitable. Slowly lurching toward fate. The grunting chorus act as the the beat that propels the track, it's not always present but you have a feeling that the zombie hordes just keep on coming. The steel drums give that added little flourish to the protagonists tale giving the sense that his conviction is needed.

This is a great track by a band with a terrible name.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:01 pm

looks like someone has taken up the trailblazing path laid down by one Ms. Mathangi Arulpragasam...

Santogold.

I dl'd "Creator" and "L.E.S. Artistes" - "Creator" def has that M.I.A. vibe (Santo is friendly with Diplo, and has even turned with M.I.A.), minus the fiery political sloganeering.

but it's "L.E.S. Artistes" that shows she's her own beast entirely - a better singing voice, for starters, more rock oriented; in short, she's kinda like a cross between M.I.A. and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

and that's one damn fine track.

I believe she's got a full album, with production from Diplo, Spank Rock, M.I.A, Switch and other interesting hip-hop heads coming out sometime next month.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:54 pm

My favourite albums so far this year are:

Svn Fngrs - Black Francis
Accelerate - R.E.M.
Made In The Dark - Hot Chip

I'll have a full review of the new R.E.M. album up before the end of the week for any interested parties. And recording on my 4th album has now commenced!!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:looks like someone has taken up the trailblazing path laid down by one Ms. Mathangi Arulpragasam...

Santogold.

I dl'd "Creator" and "L.E.S. Artistes" - "Creator" def has that M.I.A. vibe (Santo is friendly with Diplo, and has even turned with M.I.A.), minus the fiery political sloganeering.

but it's "L.E.S. Artistes" that shows she's her own beast entirely - a better singing voice, for starters, more rock oriented; in short, she's kinda like a cross between M.I.A. and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

I believe she's got a full album, with production from Diplo, Spank Rock, M.I.A, Switch and other interesting hip-hop heads coming out sometime next month.

She opened a show I saw last year and remembering really liking it. I had been looking for more songs but had forgotten. Thanks for putting her back on my radar!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Pop Apocalypse have Cut Copy's Second lp 'In Ghost Colours' on the dl. First time I saw Dan Whitford dj was in support of The Avalanches, and his first ep under the 'Cut Copy' moniker , 'I thought of Numbers' certainly sounded like a man thrilled to be in on their party. Since then they have become a three-piece band with a live rep that gets more raves than their recorded output. Although Cut Copy sometimes tend towards coked-out dreamy house and an eighties aesthetic I find slightly dull at times (See their first album, 'Bright Like Neon Love', although it has some notable exceptions like the Kraftwerk-cribbing lead-single 'Future', it sounds like it was recorded on a Fairlight), teaser tracks from this album on Last fm and elsewhere have revived my interest. 'So Haunted' especially, which somehow melds angry guitar and rocking drums with a swirling ELO chorus then swapping it all out for a pop-tempo house beat blissed-outtro.

To give you an idea, Hot Chip used to play support for them (I already like this better than 'Made in the Dark'), and in turn, Cut Copy spent some of last year warming up for Daft Punk. File under indie/dance/electroclash, or something.

And they're from my home town of Melbourne. w00t.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:51 pm

Six long years after Notwist basically created a genre with Neon Golden they finally have the The Devil, You + Me (Anna endorsed). In this time the folktronic movement has basically come and gone from the even limited exposure it had initially. Notwist basically spawned all of Morr Music's catalogue among other bands such as talkdemonic, the boats, etc... but none have come close to the majesty of Neon Golden until now.

The Devil, You + Me is doesnt skip a beat following Neon Golden and could have actually been recorded in the same sessions. Gone, though, are the more pop oriented tracks such as "Pick Up the Phone." Not that the album lacks hooks by any means but this is definitely a less immediate album. The Devil is a little bit rougher around the edges featuring more distortion and less clean production. This is one tight collection of songs where all the bips and bleeps add upto something and aren't just window dressing. Thanks for returning to the scene! Maybe when you tour this time you won't cancel the concert I was supposed to attend.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:45 pm

Whoa, maybe I am listening to too much music this year, but only a few songs have stuck in my head (which is good!). Anyway Elf Power's "Spiral Stair" has been stuck in my head lately, lyrics and melody. I recommend it, foos!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 am

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!

Their most discordant and atmospheric album since 'From Her To Eternity' - Its both an extension of and a logical development from The Grinderman album of last year, and some of the garage rock sound and attitude blossoms again here (Cave and/or Ellis clearly relish distorted hammond-style organ noise).
As much as this an antidote to the relative peacefulness and tranquillity of recent lps such as 'The Boatman's Call' or 'Nocturama' to my ears, the expanded musical palette on display here, from flute to what even appears to be some noise and distortion samples (!), also marks this as the first work of the Bad Seeds that doesn't noticeably mourn the absence of Blixa Bargeld or Barry Adamson.
Cave is literary, wilfully obscure, nasty, weird, and getting a little evil again - Oh Yes!

Probably write more after a few more listens...

viral promo, and another from Tim Noble and Sue Webster.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:38 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:looks like someone has taken up the trailblazing path laid down by one Ms. Mathangi Arulpragasam...

Santogold.

She's great. Have you heard the cover of The Jam's 'Pretty Green' she did on Mark Ronson's album?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:54 am

tapehead wrote:Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!

Their most discordant and atmospheric album since 'From Her To Eternity' - Its both an extension of and a logical development from The Grinderman album of last year, and some of the garage rock sound and attitude blossoms again here (Cave and/or Ellis clearly relish distorted hammond-style organ noise).
As much as this an antidote to the relative peacefulness and tranquillity of recent lps such as 'The Boatman's Call' or 'Nocturama' to my ears, the expanded musical palette on display here, from flute to what even appears to be some noise and distortion samples (!), also marks this as the first work of the Bad Seeds that doesn't noticeably mourn the absence of Blixa Bargeld or Barry Adamson.
Cave is literary, wilfully obscure, nasty, weird, and getting a little evil again - Oh Yes!

this blog seems to have it available for listening to online.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:57 am

tapehead wrote:Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!

P4k interview with Cave

it says a lot about the album that a great track like "Accidents Will Happen" is only the b-side to the "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!" single, as it's a great tune in its own right. I love bands that put out great b-sides and EP's, makes being a completest rather rewarding...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:59 am

Zarles wrote:She's great. Have you heard the cover of The Jam's 'Pretty Green' she did on Mark Ronson's album?

not yet, but I most certainly will...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Zarles wrote:She's great. Have you heard the cover of The Jam's 'Pretty Green' she did on Mark Ronson's album?

not yet, but I most certainly will...

You'll find the much lusher orchestrated version of Ronson & Merriweather's 'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before' cover with The Supreme's lyrics (chicken lips remix?) that I recall you posted a demo of somewhere around here last year, which was the impetus for the 'Version' album. A great covers album that's well worth a listen, if only for this track, the take on Britney Spears' 'Toxic' with ODB and the cover of Radiohead's 'Just'.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:26 pm

i'm kinda digging on Pete and the Pirates - they sound kinda like what I wanted Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah! sophomore effort to be...lo, but not too lo-fi, danceable, and wearing their indie influences on their snarky hipster t-shirt's sleeves.

cheap ass DIY vid for "Knots".

hardly groundbreaking for the secular, scrappy, lo-fi indie world, but if you've got some extra tracks on emusic you need to burn you could do worse...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:56 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:cheap ass DIY vid for "Knots".

Way to make me hate the band. What a bunch of idiots.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:49 am

The Breeders - Mountain Battles; I am sold. Kim Deal, you have an awesome voice, which is in complete disregard with your appearance. And I like that. You are like Mike Watt, with a vagina. This is probably my fave album so far this year, with Black Mountain - In The Future coming in a close second.

Also, been diggin the shit out of the new Black Keys, very solid stuff. Need to give it a few more spins before deciding if it belongs in this thread, but so far, all signs point to 'It's a strong possibility".
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:05 pm

unikrunk wrote:The Breeders - Mountain Battles; I am sold. Kim Deal, you have an awesome voice, which is in complete disregard with your appearance. And I like that. You are like Mike Watt, with a vagina. This is probably my fave album so far this year

It's the first with both Kim and Kelly since The Last Splash (not counting The Amps), and I've only listened a few times but I'm digging on it hard, and would agree with the esteem you seem to hold it in already.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:07 pm

tapehead wrote:
unikrunk wrote:The Breeders - Mountain Battles; I am sold. Kim Deal, you have an awesome voice, which is in complete disregard with your appearance. And I like that. You are like Mike Watt, with a vagina. This is probably my fave album so far this year

It's the first with both Kim and Kelly since The Last Splash (not counting The Amps), and I've only listened a few times but I'm digging on it hard, and would agree with the esteem you seem to hold it in already.

I've only listened like 2x so far and am not sure what to make of it quite yet. I'll put it on again once this Valet album finishes to see if anything sticks out more this time.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:15 pm

One listen for me so far and am itching for another one. Stupid job! Getting in the way!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:38 pm

I'll be honest. I'm awaiting the new Metallica album. I'm one of those guys that really likes all their stuff. The first three albums are metal classics. Justice is damn good. The Black album is one of the top albums of the 90s. Load and Reload, while not as heavy, have some great rock blues stuff going on, and lyrically, James was never better. While I think St. Anger is one of their weaker efforts, there was still some stuff to like.

The fact that Bob Rock isn't producing anymore and bits that I've heard them experimenting with on Youtube only excites me even more. I grew up with them, and I still get chill when I hear their songs. Few bands do that to me.

Start the Metallica hate in 5...4...3...2...1...
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby unikrunk on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:03 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I'll be honest. I'm awaiting the new Metallica album. I'm one of those guys that really likes all their stuff. The first three albums are metal classics. Justice is damn good. The Black album is one of the top albums of the 90s. Load and Reload, while not as heavy, have some great rock blues stuff going on, and lyrically, James was never better. While I think St. Anger is one of their weaker efforts, there was still some stuff to like.

The fact that Bob Rock isn't producing anymore and bits that I've heard them experimenting with on Youtube only excites me even more. I grew up with them, and I still get chill when I hear their songs. Few bands do that to me.

Ride The Lightning and Metal Up Your Ass, and of course Kill 'Em All are fucking great albums, soon to be released on LP 45...yeah, that's right, LP 45, that is some solid audiophile shit. I will be picking these up, as well as the AC/DC LP 45s of Voltage and Dirty Deeds.

So, in short, feel no shame, you ain't got no hate from camp-unikrunk.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:56 pm

A new School of Seven Bells track - 'Silent Gripes' ( very good it is too ) up on their myspace. I cannot wait for their album ( whenever it may be due....)

EDIT - Fuck, it's really good.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I'll be honest. I'm awaiting the new Metallica album. I'm one of those guys that really likes all their stuff. The first three albums are metal classics. Justice is damn good. The Black album is one of the top albums of the 90s. Load and Reload, while not as heavy, have some great rock blues stuff going on, and lyrically, James was never better. While I think St. Anger is one of their weaker efforts, there was still some stuff to like.

St. Anger was tres weak, but no hate from me. The new album wasn't too high on my radar until I found out Rick Rubin was producing. I'm excited to hear what that sounds like.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:25 am

doglips wrote:A new School of Seven Bells track - 'Silent Gripes' ( very good it is too ) up on their myspace. I cannot wait for their album ( whenever it may be due....)

EDIT - Fuck, it's really good.

Awesome song DL thanks for the heads up.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Just picked up the new The Raconteurs album "Consolers of the Lonely" and I have three words to describe it:

Awesome!
Awesome!!!
Awesome!!!!!!

Picked it up yesterday afternoon and have listened to it all the way through about 4 times already! Seriously, run! Don't walk, to you're nearest record store or website and pick up this album, you won't be disappointed.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Vegeta wrote:Just picked up the new The Raconteurs album "Consolers of the Lonely" and I have three words to describe it:

Awesome!
Awesome!!!
Awesome!!!!!!

Picked it up yesterday afternoon and have listened to it all the way through about 4 times already! Seriously, run! Don't walk, to you're nearest record store or website and pick up this album, you won't be disappointed.

excellent news! I have been looking forward to this with great interest.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Vegeta on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Just picked up the new The Raconteurs album "Consolers of the Lonely" and I have three words to describe it:

Awesome!
Awesome!!!
Awesome!!!!!!

excellent news! I have been looking forward to this with great interest.

Yeah, I am totally not kidding, it's excellent! I will go so far as to give a perfect five punches on the Vegeta scale!

ImageImageImageImageImage
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:43 pm

The Kills - Midnight Boom

I like it better than Be Your Own Pet's last, but that might just me 'fessing up to an indie hipster low-fi fuckwit predilection of my own rather than a true reflection of what you'll likely hear from your stereo.
Always more of a 'back room of the apartment' sound than full blown garage rock, the production is noticeably more layered here, but it's still repetitive, rawkus, and perhaps less new-school blues than previous albums - the last track, 'good night, bad morning' is very reminiscent of Velvet Underground without sounding like yet another facsimile of 'Sweet Jane'. It's mostly live (sounding) drums too, though "Cheap & Cheerful' stands out oddly until you scrutinise the liner notes (or interwebs) and see Armani XXXchange's name on production.
Not sure if this will stand up to extended scrutiny, but there's a beat-savvy self-destructive feel to songs like 'tape song' that does it satisfyingly right now, and surprises like 'Last Day of Magic' twist and change their simple formula nicely, in fact the latter, with Alison Mosshart invoking the vocalisms of PJ and Karen O by turns, is a favourite track for me this year.

tapehead wrote:Pop Apocalypse have Cut Copy's Second lp 'In Ghost Colours' on the dl. First time I saw Dan Whitford dj was in support of The Avalanches... (see above)

Pitchfork gives it an 8.8 and mention that DFA's Tim Goldsworthy co-produced the album.
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby dablunt89 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:50 am

doglips wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:even with the somewhat degraded quality of the leak, even with the looooong layoff, even with crushing expectations...

the new Portishead album, THIRD, is rather awesome.

I, of course, dig the more bouncy, propulsive tracks like "We Carry On" and "Machine Gun" (that is they're labeled correctly, never know with these early leaks) - I tagged 'em both with *****, and they get better with each listen.

I love the end of Machine Gun when the terminator shows up - awesome stuff.

The first half of 'The Rip' manages to make the new Goldfrapp LP totally obsolete, the second half doing the same to their career ( ouch! but true )

An incredible record.

The Rip I think is going to be the true classic to come from that album. One of those songs that people constantly cover. I can't stop listening to it, it's really got a timeless quality. Especially when the synth comes in, taking the same line as the acoustic guitar but just pounding every note. Ugh gives me chills. And of course her voice, which is perfect for the mood they set.
It doesn't have to make sense to be intense.
dablunt89
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:01 am

Welcome to DaZone, dablunt - Say Hello here.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Man Man - Rabbit Habits
It took awhile for this album to sink it teeth into me. I loved the complete and ruckus that Six Demon Bag provides and when they honed down that aspect here it felt like they were trying to abandon what made them so special in the first place.

My worry ends up being for naught though as repeated listend have given the album the place it deserves along side six demon bag. The Beefheart psychadelic rock outs with waitsian howls are still present. A willingness to go beyond what a rock album (almost completely devoid of electric guitar) is supposed to be to create one completely on their own terms. Rabbit Habits is manages to push beyond what Six Demon Bag created and push everything into a rock and roll package that is more accessible and yet manages to be just as experimental. "Poor Jackie" is probably my favorite track that shouts "I don't see what everybody sees in your sexy body all I see is a shallow grave trapped inside a pretty face." Some other stand outs are "Whale Bones", "The Ballad of Butter Beans" and "El Azteca."
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:56 pm

The Completely Unoriginal and not very accurate, accounting for leaks and skewered release dates, Quarterly Album and Favorite Tracks Report!

5) Really, this spot could go to Blood on the Wall, Tapes ‘n Tapes, A Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band, Retribution Gospel Choir, Evangelicals, British Sea Power or Be Your Own Pet (aka, the vast amounts of alternative, punk, indie rock that's your prototypical music bloggers bread and butter)…but my eternal love for Pavement, coupled with Malkmus’ ability to write lyrical rings around everyone else above tips the scales in favor of the rejiggered Jicks and some Real Emotional Trash

Choice Cuts- “Cold Sonâ€
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:39 pm

I love how Portishead is totally (attempting?) to keep trip-hop relevant. So much awesomeness on 3rd.

As for the rest of your write-up KC, awesome stuff as usual.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:07 pm

EMC - The Show

One of the few hip-hop albums I am totally groovin on this year goes to eMC's The Show. Yeah Yeah Pitchfork just gave the album a 7.9 but it deserves higher than that. The ability to move between gangster and backpack rap while maintaining their own identity. Masta Ace is an old hand but this feels nothing short of vital. Maybe it's Stricklin's geek chic that rises the album into something more than the sum of its parts. Very few people can get away with lyrics like "When I first saw you ma I was like/ 'Now, this a girl I can't mess with/ Out my league like them dudes I play chess with'/ Then I was like, 'What the hell, let me test it/ Hi, my name's Stricklin but you can call me interested/ You got a man, but he not like me'/ She said, 'Man? What, nigga? Yo, I got, like, three'" but Stricklin manages it with a self depreciating but still cool style. The beats are jazzy and chill as these aren't club tracks but thats how I like my hip-hop. The major complaint I have is the skit tracks are sued to put the album into a sort of concept album but the skits arent needed to maintain the cohesion and could be dropped to help the flow.

Listen to: Borrow You

8.5/10
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:42 pm

Not being an Arctic Monkeys fan I wasn't particularly bothered when I heard about Alex Turner's collaboration with the singer from the very boring The Rascals, so I certainly wasn't expecting a Morricone/Scott Walker style bombast and rich yet expansive production, courtesy of James Ford who I think is rapidly becoming one of the best in the UK.

Here's the video of the first single The Age Of The Understatement

A perfect fit for the style - especially the casino that instead of being in the hot sun drenched Nevada desert is in some vast icy wilderness; a not so subtle mirroring of the music.

Also, I think this may have been posted elsewhere but seeing as I'm reappraising things today here's Battles being grade A fucking brilliant on Jools Holland

I'm sorry for ever calling you twee!!!
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Music