Best New Music 2008 (Now w/ 100% More Best-Of Lists!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:03 am

I just got the new The Roots album, Rising Down, and all this music non-connoisseur has to say is that it kicks ass. :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:22 am

Just saw the video for Gnarls Barkley's Run. I love these guys. Music that actually makes you feel good and isn't overbearing activism or tedious in any way. Danger Mouse, Cee Lo, these guys are incredible. Love it.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:44 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:EMC - The Show

Pacino86845 wrote:I just got the new The Roots album, Rising Down, and all this music non-connoisseur has to say is that it kicks ass. :)

sweet, I've been jonesing for some quality hip-hop this year.

Pacino, is it solid throughout? I like the Roots, but never got into them the way a lot of younger kids did back when they (slowly) rose to fame, mostly 'cuz I thought they were a great singles act, capable of knocking out two or three killer tracks per album, but the rest, to me, sounded like filler.

well, "filler" is too strong a term, more like they let their arty, pretentious side take over and grind the albums to a halt.

I've heard one track off RISING DOWN, and it was a doozy, I'm just hoping that, for once, they put out an entire album that I can get into...or at least one that coheres into a listenable whole...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:23 pm

Which track did you hear?

I haven't digested the album enough to really judge how it holds up as a whole. Right now Criminal stands out as my current fav, but the sound is pretty awesome throughout. I dunno, this is the first Roots album I'm listening to, so I can't compare it to their other work. But I can say that while we were at the record store, my friend waved to me and said "Hey, listen to this." Five tracks later (listening to the first 30 sec. of each track) I was pretty sold, and by the time I'd made way to Criminal I walked to the cash register with a copy of the disc.

Heh, that's the best I can do, man! /non-conoisseur
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:25 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Which track did you hear?

"Get Busy".

which just fuckin' bangs.

@ Tapes - took me a couple spins, but I'm digging IN GHOST COLORS. What's up with the 80's new wave, electo-pop revival goin' on down under and in New Zealand? Them and Shocking Pinks are showin' us up! Though Santogold's debut represents that throwback vibe pretty damn well...

@ Stereo - man, I've tried to get into The Mae Shi, but after track 1 they just sound like a bunch of assholes. Not much of musical descriptor, but with their stupid name, stupider album title, and general sense that they're just fucking around, why should I care?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:@ Stereo - man, I've tried to get into The Mae Shi, but after track 1 they just sound like a bunch of assholes. Not much of musical descriptor, but with their stupid name, stupider album title, and general sense that they're just fucking around, why should I care?

You are right they do seem to be fucking around, but I think it works in their favor as they just seem to be having a ton of fun. The ideas thrown out seem to work together and arent just a bunch of haphazard shifts in style. Their old music was basically a bunch of 1-2 min spazz out bursts that showed a bunch of technical ability but that felt lacking overall. This is my thought on spazz in general and while I like this and grindcore crap in HS it was mostly just that teen angst shit and holy crap they can actually do that.

On this album however there is an incredible sense of pop that accompanies the spazz. One of the most straight forward songs on the album Run To Your Grave has probably one of the better hooks. Simple backbet, repeated vocals, handclaps will have you boobing your head. Eventually the drums come in and everything but the vocals come up ending with sing-a-long before the guitar comes back with the newly added dums before the track fades away.

Mae Shi are able to balance weird freakout tendencies with this serious sense of a hook. All one has to do is listen to The Melody to hear the hooks the are able to pull of within the context of some pretty weird sounding music. You start with the electronic allmost 8 bit sounding beat followed by the staccatto bass and guitar alternately chiming in. The drums then blast off only to stop as abruptly as it started revealing wehat could allmost be minimalist dance music with the yelling vocals backing up the quivering vocals that sound almost unsure of what is happening. After the
quick noise breakdown you get the guitars back but this time they are following an allmost typical rock chord progression with the drummer just going at the skins with basically no regard for what the guitarist is doing. This could be distracting and totally ruin the song but it manages to stay beneath the surface of the rock guitar line and merely add another layer to music. Again we have another pause and some sort ofelectronic squeal which negates any sort of tension or forward momentum that it had going for it, but wait a second and we're back to the 8 bit dance music and coming back to the melody but with throwing out some more electronic weirdness into the mix. All this shifting focus would seem to typically work as a slap to the face of cohesion in a song but instead they come across as the band not being able to contain all this pent up noise and rock outbursts from the popiness of the track. This works as sort of an attack and release methodology.

Not very many people are able to skirt the line that The Mae Shi follow here so well and that is why it gets my hardy reccommendation. There are mis-steps however for example the 10 min long Kingdom Come, but when this works it works well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Pacino, I totally forgot Roots had a new album out! Thanks for reminding me.

Ive been a fan of them for awhile and though Game Theory wasn't one of their high points theyve been solid since the mid 90s.

One of my favorite tracks of theirs has to be The Seed 2.0.

Though I do prefer Cody Chestnutts original verison The Seed, which amps the lo-fi soul aspects. Cody Chesnutt is a real talent and I wish he would record a follow-up to 2002's Headphone Masterpiece. Check out another one of his songs No One Will just to see how awesome this dude is.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:31 pm

The Seed 2.0 is a pretty cool track, thanks for the link... I think you will like what you hear on Rising Down, which comes out tomorrow state-side, I believe.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The Seed 2.0 is a pretty cool track, thanks for the link... I think you will like what you hear on Rising Down, which comes out tomorrow state-side, I believe.

Glad you like the track. Yeah Ill definitely be checking out Rising Down shortly. I will post some thoughts when I process it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:17 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:You are right they do seem to be fucking around, but I think it works in their favor as they just seem to be having a ton of fun. The ideas thrown out seem to work together and arent just a bunch of haphazard shifts in style. Their old music was basically a bunch of 1-2 min spazz out bursts that showed a bunch of technical ability but that felt lacking overall. This is my thought on spazz in general and while I like this and grindcore crap in HS it was mostly just that teen angst shit and holy crap they can actually do that.

On this album however there is an incredible sense of pop that accompanies the spazz. One of the most straight forward songs on the album Run To Your Grave has probably one of the better hooks. Simple backbet, repeated vocals, handclaps will have you boobing your head. Eventually the drums come in and everything but the vocals come up ending with sing-a-long before the guitar comes back with the newly added dums before the track fades away.

Mae Shi are able to balance weird freakout tendencies with this serious sense of a hook. All one has to do is listen to The Melody to hear the hooks the are able to pull of within the context of some pretty weird sounding music. You start with the electronic allmost 8 bit sounding beat followed by the staccatto bass and guitar alternately chiming in. The drums then blast off only to stop as abruptly as it started revealing wehat could allmost be minimalist dance music with the yelling vocals backing up the quivering vocals that sound almost unsure of what is happening. After the
quick noise breakdown you get the guitars back but this time they are following an allmost typical rock chord progression with the drummer just going at the skins with basically no regard for what the guitarist is doing. This could be distracting and totally ruin the song but it manages to stay beneath the surface of the rock guitar line and merely add another layer to music. Again we have another pause and some sort ofelectronic squeal which negates any sort of tension or forward momentum that it had going for it, but wait a second and we're back to the 8 bit dance music and coming back to the melody but with throwing out some more electronic weirdness into the mix. All this shifting focus would seem to typically work as a slap to the face of cohesion in a song but instead they come across as the band not being able to contain all this pent up noise and rock outbursts from the popiness of the track. This works as sort of an attack and release methodology.

Not very many people are able to skirt the line that The Mae Shi follow here so well and that is why it gets my hardy reccommendation. There are mis-steps however for example the 10 min long Kingdom Come, but when this works it works well.

much like if you have to explain a joke, it simply isn't funny, the same goes for your rather well worded and expansive treatise on why I should give a fuck about this band.

however, my exasperation at their fucking around had to do with the horrendous lyrics and caterwauling "singing".

they've got NOTHING to say, and that spazz rock has been done a hell of a lot better by others.

fuck man, Deerhoof at their most arty and pretentious shits all over that album...and, yeah, Satomi's yelps and childlike caterwauling don't exactly say much either, but it fits the "style".

ETA: but of course you're right about "Run to Your Grave", but I kinda dig the extended "Kingdom Come", which sounds like a pretty spiffy live take on the Dan Deacon aesthetic.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:much like if you have to explain a joke, it simply isn't funny, the same goes for your rather well worded and expansive treatise on why I should give a fuck about this band.

however, my exasperation at their fucking around had to do with the horrendous lyrics and caterwauling "singing".

they've got NOTHING to say, and that spazz rock has been done a hell of a lot better by others.

fuck man, Deerhoof at their most arty and pretentious shits all over that album...and, yeah, Satomi's yelps and childlike caterwauling don't exactly say much either, but it fits the "style".

ETA: but of course you're right about "Run to Your Grave", but I kinda dig the extended "Kingdom Come", which sounds like a pretty spiffy live take on the Dan Deacon aesthetic.

I wasn't trying to explain why should care about this band but rather what I like about them. All the things Ive said could piss other people off immeasurably but for some reason it clicks for me.

There are moments on that Kingdom Come that strike but it's too long and your definitely right about the Dan Deacon comparisons.

So Satomi's caterwauling fits but Mae Shi's doesn't? Honestly there are very few bands that manage to write intelligent lyrics (Craig Finn is one of the best lyricists in modern rock imho) so I dont mind when they dont make sense as long as they fit the construct of the song which they do here.

I honestly don't consider this spazz music anymore but more experimental pop. You compared them to Deerhoof but honestly while I like them there were few moments on their cds that had my bobbing my head as much as here. That isnt to say Mae Shi is a better band or anything.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 pm

stop sucking their dicks and you won't be bobbing your head so much!

:D
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:stop sucking their dicks and you won't be bobbing your head so much!

:D

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:18 pm

Would you guys just go and hang out at a Dumbledore bath house already?

And for the record The Mae Shi... just okay.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:58 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:@ Tapes - took me a couple spins, but I'm digging IN GHOST COLORS. What's up with the 80's new wave, electo-pop revival goin' on down under and in New Zealand? Them and Shocking Pinks are showin' us up! Though Santogold's debut represents that throwback vibe pretty damn well...

I wish there were some kind of shoegazing/electro - hip eighties UK band revival a-happening, but these two guys are on their own kick - and happen to be touring together, although I'm likely to miss the show due to work.

Keep meaning to write about Patton's film soundtrack album, A Perfect Place. It's a gorgeous piece of work, bound to be more heard than the film is actually seen. To my ears there's an obvious influence of Bernard Hermann, but perhaps more surprising, it seems clear now that Patton was at least the equal to any of the others contributing to Mr Bungle's musical output, as there's a number of identifiable signatures familiar from their three lps that appear here in different forms. Fans of Soundtracks in general or the likes of Bungle's 'California' will really enjoy this.

I was also scanning for info on this and discovered that Patton was the source for all the monster noises in 'I Am Legend', and was, up until some point in production, being considered for composing the rest of the soundtrack. I'd like to be the first to issue a hearty 'W.T.F!?' But I guess it's clear the guy has long held a heavy interest in cinema, and this aspect was probably the least worst of these characters in the movies. Something tells me he and Will Smith probably wouldn't get along, and Patton would be better off continuing to stalk David Lynch (he's often been quoted as saying scoring a Lynch movie would be the ultimate engagement for him).
'A Perfect Place', despite a few moments of radio dial chicanery and random noise (presumably used as ambience in the film), actually plays like a full album or long ep to listen to, and the recurring musical themes are actually a lot of fun to hear over and again as they appear in different genres of music and (nearly) fully-orchestrated (midi) Soundtrack-score mode (there's also nothing amongst these tracks as challenging to listen to as the extended toilet break on Bungle's debut lp)

I remember Brocktunes being the Zone's #1 go-to guy for all Patton-related stuff, and as a long-term fan of Faith No More and Bungle who also enjoys a lot of his work in Tomahawk, Fantômas and Peeping Tom ( the latter from whom a second lp is currently in the works), I'm sure he would have dug this; it's brilliant music.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:05 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Which track did you hear?

I haven't digested the album enough to really judge how it holds up as a whole. Right now Criminal stands out as my current fav, but the sound is pretty awesome throughout. I dunno, this is the first Roots album I'm listening to, so I can't compare it to their other work. But I can say that while we were at the record store, my friend waved to me and said "Hey, listen to this." Five tracks later (listening to the first 30 sec. of each track) I was pretty sold, and by the time I'd made way to Criminal I walked to the cash register with a copy of the disc.

Heh, that's the best I can do, man! /non-conoisseur

Hah your favorite track features Saigon who was on Entourage if I remember correctly.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:09 am

*Has no idea what stereos is talkin' about* :wink:

Ok now I've digested the album and I will say that if you're not a loyal Roots fan then you might be somewhat disappointed (going by what Keepcool remarked earlier).

Rising Down is a fairly uneven album IMO. It has a few great tracks going for it, but a couple of them are kind of out of place... and the phone conversation recordings have me scratching my head somewhat.

Still, it's a pretty good listen, an above average rap album.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:03 am

Pacino86845 wrote:*Has no idea what stereos is talkin' about* :wink:

Don't worry most dont ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:58 am

Pacino86845 wrote: and the phone conversation recordings have me scratching my head somewhat.

Haven't heard it yet myself, but I would presume that these are perhaps an instance of the long-held hip hop album tradition of non-musical 'skits', where the mc's clown about or act all bad-ass in one way or another...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:06 am

Yeah definitely, but apparently these phone recordings date back to 1994, and having not much of an idea about The Roots I think their intended effect was somewhat lost on me.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 am

tapehead wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote: and the phone conversation recordings have me scratching my head somewhat.

Haven't heard it yet myself, but I would presume that these are perhaps an instance of the long-held hip hop album tradition of non-musical 'skits', where the mc's clown about or act all bad-ass in one way or another...

Thats one of the things I HATE about hip-hop albums. Come on people we dont need to hear this crap and it totally ruins the flow of your album!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:

Thats one of the things I HATE about hip-hop albums. Come on people we dont need to hear this crap and it totally ruins the flow of your album!

Yeah but at the hands of Prince Paul and De La Soul it's also part of the charm of some of the fundamental hip hop lp's, wouldn't you say?

A Tribe Called Quest and Flavour Flav have done it well too...
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:45 am

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:

Yeah but at the hands of Prince Paul and De La Soul it's also part of the charm of some of the fundamental hip hop lp's, wouldn't you say?

They are the only ones that have been able to get me to listen to the skits beyond my first listen. And yeah in the case of De La it just adds to the free flowing fun nature of their albums.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Yeahhh, torture motherfucker what?
(Torture nigga what?)
What?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin tie you to a fuckin bedpost
with your ass cheeks spread out and shit
Right?
Put a hanger on a fuckin stove and let that shit sit there
for like a half hour
Take it off and stick it in your ass slow like
Tssssssss

Yeah, I'll fuckin
Yeah I'll fuckin lay your nuts on a fuckin dresser
Just your nuts layin on a fuckin dresser
And bang them shits with a spiked fuckin bat
Ooooohhhh
Whassup? BLAOWWW!!

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin pull your fuckin tongue out your fuckin mouth
and stab the shit with a rusty screwdriver, BLAOWW!!
I'll fuckin

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin hang you by your fuckin dick
off a fuckin twelve sto-story building out this motherfucker

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:41 pm

*Quietly backs away from Keepcool*
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:57 pm

anyone picked up the new My Morning Jacket album...and if so, have you gotten past "Evil Urges"?

'cuz I can't.

and not 'cuz I hate it. Channeling Beck (when he was channeling Prince) & some stomping 70's Southern Rock shouldn't sound so fucking awesome...but it does.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:anyone picked up the new My Morning Jacket album...and if so, have you gotten past "Evil Urges"?

'cuz I can't.

and not 'cuz I hate it. Channeling Beck (when he was channeling Prince) & some stomping 70's Southern Rock shouldn't sound so fucking awesome...but it does.

I am hesitant about evil urges (it could be growing on me as around the 2 minute mark has a bit a definitely dig) but i completely dislike Highly Suspicious. After that though the album hits its stride. Ity's less reverby than the older stuff but I dont find that to be a problem at all. There are defnitely some gorgeous tracks on the album.

It lacks the punch of Z, but that album was completely awesome and would be tough to follow up no matter what.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 05, 2008 8:21 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Man Man - Rabbit Habits
It took awhile for this album to sink it teeth into me. I loved the complete and ruckus that Six Demon Bag provides and when they honed down that aspect here it felt like they were trying to abandon what made them so special in the first place.

My worry ends up being for naught though as repeated listend have given the album the place it deserves along side six demon bag. The Beefheart psychadelic rock outs with waitsian howls are still present. A willingness to go beyond what a rock album (almost completely devoid of electric guitar) is supposed to be to create one completely on their own terms. Rabbit Habits is manages to push beyond what Six Demon Bag created and push everything into a rock and roll package that is more accessible and yet manages to be just as experimental. "Poor Jackie" is probably my favorite track that shouts "I don't see what everybody sees in your sexy body all I see is a shallow grave trapped inside a pretty face." Some other stand outs are "Whale Bones", "The Ballad of Butter Beans" and "El Azteca."

I wish more singers could channel the great Waits with the uncanny precision of Honus Honus, but, since there isn't, and since there's no one else carrying that flag, one has to make do.

but making do never felt so right.

just what the are those Philly cats smokin' to come up with this obtuse tunage?

'cuz I want some.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon May 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeek s wrote:Man Man - Rabbit Habits
It took awhile for this album to sink it teeth into me. I loved the complete and ruckus that Six Demon Bag provides and when they honed down that aspect here it felt like they were trying to abandon what made them so special in the first place.

My worry ends up being for naught though as repeated listend have given the album the place it deserves along side six demon bag. The Beefheart psychadelic rock outs with waitsian howls are still present. A willingness to go beyond what a rock album (almost completely devoid of electric guitar) is supposed to be to create one completely on their own terms. Rabbit Habits is manages to push beyond what Six Demon Bag created and push everything into a rock and roll package that is more accessible and yet manages to be just as experimental. "Poor Jackie" is probably my favorite track that shouts "I don't see what everybody sees in your sexy body all I see is a shallow grave trapped inside a pretty face." Some other stand outs are "Whale Bones", "The Ballad of Butter Beans" and "El Azteca."

I wish more singers could channel the great Waits with the uncanny precision of Honus Honus, but, since there isn't, and since there's no one else carrying that flag, one has to make do.

but making do never felt so right.

just what the are those Philly cats smokin' to come up with this obtuse tunage?

'cuz I want some.

Honus Honus is a Waitsian prodigy. Most who try to channel him end up failing misserably. Just listen to the Scarlett album.

This is definitely one of my favorite rock albums of the year.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 06, 2008 4:04 pm

I randomly came across Lykke Li the other month and being the fan of Swedish pop music I decided to give it a go and since that time it’s been getting a healthy amount of plays. During my listen today I decided to attempt to verbally qualify 2 tracks I that I dig and in the process maybe figure out just why I like this album in the first place.

Let’s start with Breaking It Up which is one of the later tracks of Youth Novels. You start of with a muffled almost megaphone sounding vocals with a piano backing. There are some other voices in the background that seem to laughing and come into play in a second with an almost choir sounding hook amidst the megaphone vocals creating a nice disparity between the muffled and the exuberant. After a staccato sounding modified horn sound some handclaps chime in before everything drops out and Lykke’s wispy vocals are basically on their own and the weight of the music rests almost solely on her. This creates a nice tension before the jubilant choir comes in again. This pattern is repeated but the song is short enough not to wear out it’s welcome. This is one Lykke’s biggest sounding songs but it’s still a pretty minimal pop track that’s damn easy on the ears.

Next up let’s talk about the second major single from the album Dance Dance Dance. A slapped guitar starts of the song but its not a riff rather it’s the rhythm that sets the tone of the rest of the track. Some brushed cymbals come into play before the prominent but simplistic bass line and a fuzz infused guitar tone drives us into the meat of the song. Lykke’s detached vocals provide a sultry backbone to what has been up until this point a primarily rhythmic based endeavor. The cowbell provides a nice higher ranged sound until the jazzy sounding horns come in near the end of the track and bring you to the climax of Lykke being “a dancer all alongâ€
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm liking her stuff, but haven't got the LP yet. ( edit - I'm acquiring it now! )

She played live on Jools Holland the other night, very good indeed, nice stage presence.

Bjorn Yttling seems to be a very talented man.
Last edited by doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 06, 2008 5:52 pm

doglips wrote:I'm liking her stuff, but haven't got the LP yet.

She played live on Jools Holland the other night, very good indeed, nice stage presence.

Bjorn Yttling seems to be a very talented man.

Why do you attribute it to Bjorn?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 5:53 pm

He produced it didn't he?

Like your new AV!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 06, 2008 5:55 pm

doglips wrote:He produced it didn't he?

Like your new AV!

Yeah he did and it does sound great but Id like to think she came up with most of it herself. I have no idea if this is true however.

Thanks. I figured I'd go for an emo AV after my 90s emo list in the Favorite 90s Music thread.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 pm

It's all her own work, but from what I've read ( good interview ) it seems he pulled it together.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 6:02 pm

SFG, have you heard the new Ladytron yet? Really good, contains some of the best pop of 2008. I think Pacino might like it actually - that's a recc, founder!

I'm liking the new Wolf Parade too, more of the same really but thats a good thing.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue May 06, 2008 6:04 pm

Well it's called Ladytron so it sounds good already!! Thanks! :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 06, 2008 6:05 pm

doglips wrote:It's all her own work, but from what I've read ( good interview ) it seems he pulled it together.

Good read for sure. Just finished. Im glad to hear that the album is her vision as it's incredibly consistent across the board style wise but within that framework there is a good sense of variety.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 06, 2008 6:08 pm

doglips wrote:SFG, have you heard the new Ladytron yet? Really good, contains some of the best pop of 2008. I think Pacino might like it actually - that's a recc, founder!

I'm liking the new Wolf Parade too, more of the same really but thats a good thing.

I havent got the new wolf parade yet as Im trying to catch up on more stuff Ive been listening but dont have a good feeling for yet.

The Ladytron I finally got around to listening to for the first time yesterday and while it didnt grab me as much as say 604 and Light and Magic did 6 or 7 years ago it's a definitely a solid record with some great tracks. I guess Ive just heard a lot of their type of thing since then as that sound blew up in that time. I'll give it another spin right after Man Man finishes.
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Tue May 06, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 6:13 pm

Yeah, it's a little samey over the entire length - they could have easily dropped 3 or 4 tracks for a really tight record. I've listened to it a few times though and they all grow on you quite well.

This Lykke Li is really good, btw.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 06, 2008 6:17 pm

doglips wrote:Yeah, it's a little samey over the entire length - they could have easily dropped 3 or 4 tracks for a really tight record. I've listened to it a few times though and they all grow on you quite well.

This Lykke Li is really good, btw.

Glad you are digging it. I was a little disappointed when one of her songs was featured on Greys Anatomy but what can you do.

Gossip Girl used Vampire Weekend the other week too.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 am

doglips wrote:I'm liking the new Wolf Parade too, more of the same really but thats a good thing.

not as poppy; there are less, & longer tracks.

but "California Dreamer" makes it worthwhile. A comment on Malkmus, maybe? They've got the modern indie rock take on classic california stoner rock more down pat than the Jicks on that track.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 07, 2008 8:15 am

REVIEWS BY PACINO, THE AVERAGE JOE WHEN IT COMES TO MUSIC:

Ladytron - Velocifero

Overall I think I'm not into this type of sound... the Eastern European music I tend to like is gypsy stuff... acoustic, chaotic, raw. Ladytron's sound is a little too "industrial" for my taste, but that's not to say it's a bad album. I agree w/ doglips that a few tracks could've been excised, but some of the songs really come together nicely. So although I'm not too crazy about this album, it will still get a little play from me. Ghosts is by far my favorite track on the album at the moment.

Lykke Li - Youth Novels

Not too shabby, but not too remarkable for my dull, brutish ears. Listening to it was like hearing Feist's Adventures Among the Nordic People... Lykke's singing is good, but doesn't really set her apart from others, and the music is also really nice, but not too distinguishable from Sigur Ros-type sounds.

-------------------------------

I haven't really digested either album yet, things might change with additional listens.

Oh yeah, I have a musical nerd friend in real life, and I keep telling him about you guys here in the Music section... now he says to tell you lot that the new Breeders album is badass!!!!!

And he just forwarded me the song Les Artistes by Santogold and it's pretty great actually.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Wed May 07, 2008 8:44 am

Heh, glad you kinda merely liked them!

The Santogold album is pretty good too.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 07, 2008 8:46 am

doglips wrote:Heh, glad you kinda merely liked them!

I still appreciate the recommendations though, keep 'em coming!!!! :)

But I will be listening to the two albums over the next few days, maybe they will grow on me. When I first heard The Bends way back when I detested it, but now Radiohead is probably my favorite band today (and I love The Bends).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Wed May 07, 2008 9:11 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
doglips wrote:I'm liking the new Wolf Parade too, more of the same really but thats a good thing.

not as poppy; there are less, & longer tracks.

but "California Dreamer" makes it worthwhile. A comment on Malkmus, maybe? They've got the modern indie rock take on classic california stoner rock more down pat than the Jicks on that track.

It's weird, it's not as poppy but tracks such as The Grey Estates and Soldier's Grin are the most poppy songs they've recorded....don't you think?

I'm loving Kissing the Beehive.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Wed May 07, 2008 9:15 am

Pacino, have you heard Vampire Weekend yet?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:20 am

No, but it's called Vampire Weekend so that's a good start!!! :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 am

Well KC and I agree ( I know, go figure! ) it's the second best LP this year so far, SFG loves it too.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 07, 2008 11:41 am

doglips wrote:Well KC and I agree ( I know, go figure! ) it's the second best LP this year so far, SFG loves it too.

Damn straight I do! They are all over the place now and normally that might piss me off but here it seems fitting due to the type of music it is. Basically it's Paul Simon with a little bit of a punkier edge and an ivy league snark and wit.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Music