Best New Music 2008 (Now w/ 100% More Best-Of Lists!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed May 07, 2008 11:44 am

There's a new Wolf Parade album?! :shock:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 07, 2008 1:59 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:Well KC and I agree ( I know, go figure! ) it's the second best LP this year so far, SFG loves it too.

Damn straight I do! They are all over the place now and normally that might piss me off but here it seems fitting due to the type of music it is. Basically it's Paul Simon with a little bit of a punkier edge and an ivy league snark and wit.

I would even add a dash of Sufjan Stevens to that... it's great, you can add me to the list of adulators.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 07, 2008 4:12 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:Well KC and I agree ( I know, go figure! ) it's the second best LP this year so far, SFG loves it too.

Damn straight I do! They are all over the place now and normally that might piss me off but here it seems fitting due to the type of music it is. Basically it's Paul Simon with a little bit of a punkier edge and an ivy league snark and wit.

I would even add a dash of Sufjan Stevens to that... it's great, you can add me to the list of adulators.

You just upped your hipster cred by 1. ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Explorers Club have marked the coming of summer with the debut of their debut full length Freedom which is due out in 2 weeks. The weather is great so I thought I would share something that evokes the feeling of coming summer and great weather.

This is sun drenched Beach Boys from the 60s and Explorer’s Club have no qualms wearing this love on their sleeve. There are dualing harmonies, reverb soaked guitars, Ronettes style drumming, and lyrical similarities as well. They pull off this adoration/mimicry with a panache not easily found and will take you back to the era of free love.

Here are two of my favorite tracks.

The Last Kiss
Do You Love Me?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 08, 2008 8:15 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

You just upped your hipster cred by 1. ;)

What's everyone's favorite so far?

doglips' is Portishead's Third, which is actually pretty excellent. Dunno if I would put it above Vampire Weekend though... that latter album is more the sort of thing I *need* to listen to these days... but I've only just begun listening to the Portishead, haven't even gone through it once yet. I love what I'm hearing so far though, it really begins to come to life by the 4th track.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby beastie on Thu May 08, 2008 8:49 am

My two favorite records, so far this year, are Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing and Los Campesinos - Hold On Now, Youngster.
In regards to Vampire Weekend. I got that way back in Decemeber or January. I gave it a couple of listens and just couldn't get really into it. I like 1 or 2 songs at a time, but as a record, I just get antsy by the time it's over. Then they blew up and I still don't understand why. To me, they seem like a niche band and not a real mainstream sound. I still pop A-Punk on my playlists from time-to-time, but that's it.
Other records that I've really enjoyed this year are Black Kids - Wizard of Ahhhhs, Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors, Foxboro Hottubs - Stop Drop & Roll, and Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip - Angles (I thought it would get old quick but it only gets better the more I listen to it).
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 08, 2008 9:21 am

Pacino86845 wrote:What's everyone's favorite so far?

Notwist - The Devil, You + Me

Without a doubt.

While my other favorites would depend on mood and the type of music i feel like listening to at the time, I can listen to this album any time at all.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Thu May 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Anyone else heard the Shearwater 'Rook' album yet? I've only given it a couple of spins but it's achingly beautiful. Seems a little samey but I think it may open up more with repeated listening.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 pm

beastie wrote:favorite records, so far this year, are Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing

that was a tough listen.

not exactly in a bad way, necessarily.

but that album requires more wasting of my precious time to find the feel and texture and rhythms and beat than I'm willing to spend nowadays.

maybe, as sometimes happens, when I spin it again all those qualities mentioned above will jump out at me a bit more, having had time to digest it and incorporate it into my psyche.

but getting the energy up for another listen?

that's the problem.
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 08, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu May 08, 2008 7:12 pm

I've listened to it quite a lot, seems to work well while I'm cooking at work. Best is with teh headphones on IMO, Ribs Out is excellent when close contact is made. I 9/10'd it in my blag but that's probably a little high, I've listened to it a lot more since then, I was basing my initial reaction on ingenuity methinks. Good record all the same.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 08, 2008 9:37 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
beastie wrote:favorite records, so far this year, are Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing

that was a tough listen.

but that album requires more wasting of my precious time to find the feel and texture and rhythms and beat than I'm willing to spend nowadays.

maybe, as sometimes happens, when I spin it again all those qualities mentioned above will jump out at me a bit more, having had time to digest it and incorporate it into my psyche.

that's the problem.

I dig the Fuck Buttons album but it hasn't got its teeth into me deep enough to call it one of my favorites.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby beastie on Fri May 09, 2008 12:24 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

that was a tough listen.

that's the problem.

I understand what you're saying. There's a lot of music, that I'm told I should enjoy, and I know it's good music, but if I do take the time to get into it, that means taking time away from quite a few other bands that I'm really gonna dig. The Mars Volta is one of them (at least Francis the Mute).
But with Fuck Buttons, I immediatly got into the music. It just hit me right the first time I listened to it. The only time I can't listen to it is in the car, when my ADD is turned up to 11 and I'm always waiting for the next song.
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 12, 2008 7:41 am

Portishead's Third is amazing... I went out and bought their two previous albums but no one told me that Third was the best of 'em all!! I've only heard Dummy so far... it's pretty good but I much prefer the more violent sound in Third, and The Rip is the greatest track they have ever produced.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Mon May 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Glad you're loving it! My personal favourite was Nylon Smile until I got my box set a couple of weeks ago. The whole record really sounds so much better on vinyl. I got an etched 12" of Machine Gun and playing that made it my firm favourite, fucking brilliance at 45rpm!

Now the suns out I just can't stop listening to Cut Copy, what a great record. Every play is more rewarding than the last, so many melodies to grab on to!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tapehead on Mon May 12, 2008 10:01 pm

It's got a real sunny happy vibe, and really does sound like an artefact from the eighties on some tracks.

Santogold's brilliant album is getting played daily at mine too - like MIA, only, with tunes! One of the smartest pop albums in a long while.

I'd chime in too on the more violent and angry tracks from Portishead's Third - the opener Silence and Machine Gun are both thrilling, but for me the rest of the album might be more of a slow-grower, or perhaps I just need to catch it when I'm in the right mood, but there's enough psychedelic and abrasive new elements amongst what is familiar (ie beth Gibbons voice) to ensure that will eventually happen.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue May 13, 2008 5:21 am

Machine Gun sounds like it should be a staple of the next Terminator film... actually scratch that, it would only sully the song.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Tue May 13, 2008 5:29 am

I love it when the Terminator shows up, it sends shivers down my spine. Devastating use of 80's sci-fi organ!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 14, 2008 10:40 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I am hesitant about evil urges (it could be growing on me as around the 2 minute mark has a bit a definitely dig) but i completely dislike Highly Suspicious.

i know to each is own, and that, as a fan of Z and the rest of MMJ's catalog, a song like "Highly Suspicious" must seem like a highly spurious act of sacrilege...

but I love that track.

yeah, it's jokey and hokey and silly, kinda like MMJ was hanging with Electric 6 and the Darkness while writing it...

but it's AWESOMELY silly and jokey and hokey.

it may where thin on me after a while, but that's one crunching riff running throughout, so I doubt it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 14, 2008 10:55 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I am hesitant about evil urges (it could be growing on me as around the 2 minute mark has a bit a definitely dig) but i completely dislike Highly Suspicious.

i know to each is own, and that, as a fan of Z and the rest of MMJ's catalog, a song like "Highly Suspicious" must seem like a highly spurious act of sacrilege...

but I love that track.

yeah, it's jokey and hokey and silly, kinda like MMJ was hanging with Electric 6 and the Darkness while writing it...

but it's AWESOMELY silly and jokey and hokey.

it may where thin on me after a while, but that's one crunching riff running throughout, so I doubt it.

I can see how one could like it, but goddamn if it doesnt make me want to rip my ears off at points.

I get the joke and the fun of the song but that doesnt mean I enjoy it. It feels like Jim James was doing too much blow when they came up with the track.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 am

Ive been mulling over Subtle - ExitingARM for soime time. I really have been wanting to love it but have found it really difficult to get my head around it. Also: I loved the harshness of For Hero: For Fool and this album lacks any of the manic energy that made that album really hit.

Pitchfork just put up a review of ExitingARM and it really is helping contextualize the album and help parse out some of the details I had been attempting to grasp at.

Anyway while I still don't think it's as good as For Hero: For Fool but it's definitely opening up and I am starting to understand what Subtle was trying to do with this album.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 23, 2008 4:16 pm

p4k drops new Silver Jews track!

"What's with all the handsome grandsons/ In these rock band magazines?/ What have they done with the studly ones, the bald and the goateed?"

solid track.

sobriety suits Berman...it's gotten him touring, and improved his voice.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Sat May 24, 2008 9:17 pm

The "first" review of Coldplay's new album is in!

I must say I am impressed with their first single "Violet Hill" and will definetly be picking up Viva La Vida.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 27, 2008 5:25 pm

new Hold Steady is just as solid as their last 3 albums.

which makes it pretty fucking solid.

gets more rockin' as the album goes on, as the last 5 songs just rip.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 27, 2008 6:15 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:new Hold Steady is just as solid as their last 3 albums.

which makes it pretty fucking solid.

gets more rockin' as the album goes on, as the last 5 songs just rip.

Im not finding the magic as much as the earlier albums. The first couple songs (sans sequestered) just havent been coming together for me. People rag on the lyrics for Boys and Girls as being too generic but atleast they fit. Here the music and lyrics dont seem to gel. I do like the random in jokes to earlier albums, however.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm

new Spiritualized, SONGS IN A&E, is pretty darn amazing.
Melancholy has never been so uplifting.
Kinda glad J. Spaceman nearly died, as its done wonders for his art...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 29, 2008 3:48 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:new Spiritualized, SONGS IN A&E, is pretty darn amazing.

Ive only got the chance to listen to it once but it produced a dream like trance that was hard to recover from. This was a good thing just not for working hours ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:30 pm

Coldplay has a new tune. It's called Viva La Vida. I first saw the commercial on TV and I thought that's rather good, so I downloaded it and it now has a home on my iPod ;) The entire song is really great imo, orchestra accompaniment, good melodies and harmonizing by Martin and company. I couldn't find the entire video on the net, doesn't seem to be out there yet, but here's a snippit of the video. One thing that I really adore about Martin is his piano skills and lyrics. I have alot of Coldplay sheet music that I play on the piano - beautiful stuff.

Anyways, here is the video, it really only showcases a tiny bit of the song and the entire song is really awesome:

Viva La Vida
Maui
WoWie

Postby doglips on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:26 pm

It's a good song, I've got a link to some other new tracks if you want it.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Vegeta on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Well, it looks like Weezer and Aimee Mann both have new albums coming out on Tuesday... I will be at the record store in anticipation.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:00 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Keepcoolbutcar e wrote:new Spiritualized, SONGS IN A&E, is pretty darn amazing.

Ive only got the chance to listen to it once but it produced a dream like trance that was hard to recover from. This was a good thing just not for working hours ;)

I miss the kind of angry pop music smarts that gave us She Kissed Me (and it felt like a Hit), but this is lovely - there's more than a little 'folk' (in the more tradtional sense) sounds creeping into Jason Pierce's floating grandeur -album closer 'Goodnight, Good night' with it's plaintive violin, and Death, take your fiddle, which is almost a border ballad, but for the litany of drugs in the lyrics.
I guess I might have to wait 'til next time around for the possibility that he might switch out his studio orchestra for the distorted guitar sounds of Amazing Grace, but I suppose it's more testament to the range of his distinct talents. It's really growing on me with each listen and I suspect it might be pretty great - the 'harmony' tracks that punctuate the album are really remarkable.

As to whether it's due to his bout with pneumonia, WIRED interview does mention Pierce's claim all the album's songs were written before his illness, but that he made them relevant to his state of mind when he returned to working on the album - It's a good short piece that covers his career from Spacemen 3 to the present day, and focuses on the relatively stripped back production style on this new album.

Either way, I'm glad someone is still fighting for spacey, evil drug music after the most recent and fairly disappointing Brian Jonestown Massacre album...

Pitchfork's 8.4
and another good interview with Pierce
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re:

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Dengue Fever - check these guys out!!

umm hello? have you seen my sig?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Best New Music 2008

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:20 pm

really digging the new Deerhunter that's leaked ridiculously early.

as opposed to the two types of tracks on their debut (loud, aggressive doom 'n apocalyptic stomp and ambient noodling), it seems Cox and co. have gotten rid of the extremes and settled on middle ground; while that could lead to a rather middling sonic output, instead it finds the band really coming into their own, because one thing Cox and co. have in abundance is the preternatural ability to create achingly beautiful melodies. The weird is still there, but it's tempered by structure; the art punk still exists, just wrapped in better songs, songs that expand their sonic palate as they go on...it's not quite the grunge paradigm of loud-quiet-loud (or quiet-loud-quiet), but just solid songcraft...sure, the tracks never flat out explode into righteous rawk, but they're never boring either, as some tracks off the debut were (least to me, I know some of ya'll eat up that bullshit).
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote: (least to me, I know some of ya'll eat up that bullshit).

err, thanks?

It is a very good record, only had a chance to listen to it a couple of times. Whatever Shackles Cox has loosened is to the benefit of the band.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:10 am

On one listen I thought the new N.E.R.D was pretty good. I read a harsh review on Sunday, which seemed at odds to me with their previous 4 star review of the Mariah Carey comeback... "Fly or Die" was a good album, and this seems like another steady progression from there, the only fault I could give would be that it has a slightly underwhelming climax, but as an album closer i guess all teh "love" action has already been accomplished.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 am

magicmonkey wrote:On one listen I thought the new N.E.R.D was pretty good. I read a harsh review on Sunday, which seemed at odds to me with their previous 4 star review of the Mariah Carey comeback... "Fly or Die" was a good album, and this seems like another steady progression from there, the only fault I could give would be that it has a slightly underwhelming climax, but as an album closer i guess all teh "love" action has already been accomplished.

I like it - it's like pop music for the drum & bass / hip hop and clubbing crowd - 'spaz' or 'all the girls' are as good a mash-up of disparate dance and electronics genres as any of Dizzee Rascal's last album, or A Track's Dirty South Dance, and if at although the lyrical content comes of as a little vapid or shallow, it's cheap and a little cheesy and banging in a way that quite enjoyable, at least for the two or three listens I've given it so far - fun with lots of ideas going on, and the faster tempo tracks work much better.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 am

Girlt Talk's - Feed The Animals free download

Im only about 1/2 way through the album so far but it seems he has really stepped up in creating a better flow from all his sources. Also, Gregg seems to be utilizing a lot more disparate sources this time around.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:13 pm

♥♥♥ this track.

dude's called Deastro, song's called "The Shaded Forests". The album's on emusic, and, I imagine, your local torrent dealer.

that riff in the beginning is eerily familiar, and, like Cut Copy and The Shocking Pinks, he's mining new wave influences, but I dare you not to fall in love with that track...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:♥♥♥ this track.

dude's called Deastro, song's called "The Shaded Forests". The album's on emusic, and, I imagine, your local torrent dealer.

that riff in the beginning is eerily familiar, and, like Cut Copy and The Shocking Pinks, he's mining new wave influences, but I dare you not to fall in love with that track...

Awesome track KC thannks for bringing it to my attention.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:49 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Awesome track KC thannks for bringing it to my attention.

backatya' for Gillis' latest mashupterpiece. I'll continue to kvetch about the ephemeral nature of his shtick, how I could listen to that blending of "Gimme Some Lovin" and "International Players Anthem" for minutes rather than 30seconds, how just when other genius bits of brilliant cultural jamming begin to coalesce we're yanked from that bit of sonic bliss to another (personally, I don't know how I could ever dance to him at a club - I'm kinda picky as to what drags my studly ass to the floor, and just when I get out there, the mix of tracks that brought me out there, right when I begin to throw a hand up in the air would, poof, like that, be gone)...but it's always always always head noddable, it consistently delivers moments of post-modern aural bliss, and often, very often, elicits a gigantic, goofy grin of appreciation for the brass balls it takes to bring this off and how he's able to somehow navigate what must be the shared collective unconscious of musichounds and bring from the ether such joyous frequencies; but, and here's what really makes it too much joy, that grin just as often gets quickly mixed with a pained look of concentrated consternation as I try to place just where the hell that particularly fugacious bit of pop-cultural thievery comes from.

Basically, it moves the body while simultaneously vexing the mind - which pretty much is the sonic equivalent of Elaine Benes little kick dance.

but Jesus on his seldom used crutch, when he happens upon just that certain bastardization, it's like all my musical hopes, desires and dreams have been profoundly delivered in one fell sonic swoop.

I know what'll happen, I'll love it to utter death, play it the fuck out, and then drop some snarky line about it later - but right now, it's, and I say this without the slightest tinge of hyperbole, the greatest thing I've heard this year.

right now, on the in the background, on a second full listen..."Roc Boys" and "Paranoid Android"?!? And then some Mary J. Blige?!?

this much fun should be illegal, it can't be good for people.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:37 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Girl Talk's - Feed The Animals free download

Im only about 1/2 way through the album so far but it seems he has really stepped up in creating a better flow from all his sources. Also, Gregg seems to be utilizing a lot more disparate sources this time around.

If you love mash-ups you must own it - name my price? Probably fresh air and the occasional tinge of guilt that will eventually make me drop some money on an expensive import cd or 12" down the track. With this and Yoda's fabric mix turning up in a couple of days, I'm suddenly up and dancing again after a long, long spell...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 pm

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Girl Talk's - Feed The Animals free download

If you love mash-ups you must own it - name my price? Probably fresh air and the occasional tinge of guilt that will eventually make me drop some money on an expensive import cd or 12" down the track. With this and Yoda's fabric mix turning up in a couple of days, I'm suddenly up and dancing again after a long, long spell...

I'll fucking have some of that as well. The riff sounds like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah to me...

EDIT: Found another track of his - the instrumental, Jean Michel Jarre - sounding Light Powered
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:46 am

The guy has another project called Our Brother the Megazord that is good as well. I would say on the whole it is less "distortion-y" but pretty similar in general. He can get to some M83 levels of synthy beauty at points. Good good stuff.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:37 pm

magicmonkey wrote:On one listen I thought the new N.E.R.D was pretty good. I read a harsh review on Sunday, which seemed at odds to me with their previous 4 star review of the Mariah Carey comeback... "Fly or Die" was a good album, and this seems like another steady progression from there, the only fault I could give would be that it has a slightly underwhelming climax, but as an album closer i guess all teh "love" action has already been accomplished.

so i have never liked any of the production work that Pharell has done. at least none that i have heard. it all seemed gimmicky and super cheese ball to me. and i have always had a sneaking suspicion that it is really that asian guy he always has in tow that is really doing all of the work. so i checked out the new n.e.r.d. record for the same reason i see any m. night scamalan movie, so i can tear it apart. so i can completely deconstruct and analyze every shitty little nuance, and absolutely rip it apart if i ever have the chance to do verbal battle with any of his apologis....*ahem* supporters.

but i actually kind of like this record. :oops:
nothing too groundbreaking, but certainly inventive and entertaining enough for a listen or two. i can even get past some of pharell's weak as fuck at times lyrics. not a bad album.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:55 pm

hey, so is the track "My Drive Thru", featuring Santogold and Julian Casablancas on the new N.E.R.D. album?

'cuz that song's a lot of fun...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:hey, so is the track "My Drive Thru", featuring Santogold and Julian Casablancas on the new N.E.R.D. album?

Yup, it's a particular highlight.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:18 pm

That's Juian Casablanca? I had no idea (not having all the, shall we say, liner notes to reference). His vocals must really be heavily gated or filtered on those Strokes albums.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:hey, so is the track "My Drive Thru", featuring Santogold and Julian Casablancas on the new N.E.R.D. album?

Yup, it's a particular highlight.

no fucking shit
im totally starting to curse myself for listening to this record. for days, i have had my drive thru stuck in my head, continuously alternating with yeah you.

i really dig both those tracks, but they are fucking killing me.
same thing happened with that yo majesty ep. i fuckin played the shit out of that thing, but monkey dance kept getting stuck in my head so bad, i practically had to retire the fucker.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:05 am

Just got the new Watson Twins record, Fire Songs. Excellent stuff. I saw them open for Elbow back in April in Chicago and embarrassed myself when they played their cover of "Just Like Heaven." Got to talk to Chandra afterward and that was especially cool. They played most of the album which was a great way to get a preview.

PS: Check out the new Elbow record.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Beck - Modern Guilt

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:28 am

Beck's 'Modern Guilt', produced by Danger Mouse and featuring Cat Power on two tracks, has LEEAAKKEEDD!!! Super-blogger Pop Apocalypse has had it up a couple of days for 'preview', and it's released next week - like him or not, he's yet to release a dud yet, in my opinion, as I really enjoyed both the 're-Odelay' vibe of 'Guero' and the hypnotic live and extended beat-jams of 'The Information', although they are strikingly different (but of course, it's this constant changing of styles that defines him).

This has had my full attention for a couple of hours now, it's relatively simple in terms of arrangements and production. It was the strutting bass, creeping piano and occasional electronica additions of the title track, along with Beck's almost detached ruminations on paranoia that first hooked me in. I keep expecting Danger Mouse to do something excessive, grandiose and bombastic, and he keeps confounding that expectation by producing works of restraint, and demonstrating excellent taste - he's even quite conservative on the last Black Keys outing, although it's tricky to know how much of this is due to both the band's roots rock & blues minimalist attitude, and the late great Ike Turner's involvement at the beginning of recordings. After a few albums collaborating with Nigel Godrich, and the same with the Dust Brothers, I would imagine Beck is an experienced studio colleague, and while the album is intent in it's focus, DM, it seems, has had room to move and the sounds are gorgeous.

'Modern Guilt' seems to be steeped in 'Pop Classicism' if you will; brief and straight to the point (or the hook), occasional flourishes and nods to any number of old music nuggets - specifically, British 60's guitar pop - which also reared it's head on the last Gnarls Barkly album, and pre-Acid, post Brit Invasion American Folk/Rock of the same era, such as is compiled on those 'Nuggets' albums. It's not an entirely retro affair, there's room here for instance for a skipping d&b beat under 'replica' and it grows sonically larger moment by moment, with the inclusion of more elements - stings, keys, echo, and then it's done.

However it's always in the service of the tune, and the tune never outstays it's welcome, which is a little maddening at times - with Beck and Danger Mouse, it really does seem like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, at the same time, after a few listens it seem like Cat Power's contributions have been on the piano and perhaps some backing vocals.

It's a nice feeling, the experience that you are listening to something unique and very good the first few times. Time to shut up and take it all in... I'm sure I'll have more to say later.

I was almost gonna start a thread for Beck himself - any interest?
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:10 am, edited 11 times in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Music