Best New Music 2008 (Now w/ 100% More Best-Of Lists!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Flumm on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:02 pm

With bands, sometimes the student-y irreverance and whimsica, childlikel lust for lifeness can be really, really grating... OK, mostly just with the grating, but these kids have some pleasurable songs to listen to on a grey afternoon.

The Deirdres

warning: handclaps contained within.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:23 pm

New Cassettes Won't Listen song here.

I have listened to it over 10x times this morning. Awesome awesome track. It's from Jason Drake the Director Of Marketing Def Jux Records.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Flumm wrote:With bands, sometimes the student-y irreverance and whimsica, childlikel lust for lifeness can be really, really grating... OK, mostly just with the grating, but these kids have some pleasurable songs to listen to on a grey afternoon.

The Deirdres

warning: handclaps contained within.

Ohh so twee!!! :D
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Flumm wrote:warning: handclaps contained within.

But does it have enough cowbell?
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:40 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Guns and Roses - Chinese Democracy 2007?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

almost as funny is the TBA 2008 for Zack de La Rocha's solo album...

You would think by now that Axel would change the title just to take a little pressure off.

I could be way off-base, but I've always thought the title "Chinese Democracy" was actually a joke about this (because it'll never happen). Might actually serve as a weird form of incentive if you look at it that way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:58 pm

I haven't seen Black Mountain - In The Future Mentioned yet, I just got it and I'm in love. Yeh it's deeply retro but it's perfectly balanced - even on a 16 minute length epic it doesn't out stay it's welcome.
If you are at all a fan of any of the following - stoner rock, psychedelic, Led Zeppelin, dark folk and synthesisers then pick it up. It's full on raucous in sections so keep it up loud.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:40 pm

fuck. yeah.

I reviewed it in my journal, glad to see it's getting some more love.

I dig how there's a theme throughout...the titles of the tracks themselves sorta tell a tale, and while it's not exactly operatic, there's a definite feeling that something greater than the sum of its parts is roiling underneath the surface.

I've probably spun that album 10x's this month, keep expecting to tire of it, but haven't even come close yet...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Conroy420 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Stoaked to see that there are new albums hopefully coming out for AC/DC & Wolfmother.

I enjoyed the majority of Wolfmother's first album but I'm really interested to see what there second effort is like. Second albums are always so interesting.

Also stoaked on the new Jack Johnson and Mars Volta.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:00 am

TonyWilson wrote:I haven't seen Black Mountain - In The Future Mentioned yet, I just got it and I'm in love. Yeh it's deeply retro but it's perfectly balanced - even on a 16 minute length epic it doesn't out stay it's welcome.
If you are at all a fan of any of the following - stoner rock, psychedelic, Led Zeppelin, dark folk and synthesisers then pick it up. It's full on raucous in sections so keep it up loud.

Came in here to talk up Caribou's Andorra album (I know it's an '07 release, I just struggle to keep things relative with music, and a band that can go from Beach Boy harmonies to Deep House / Epic Rock synthesis all in one track deserve repeated props) but while I'm at it I'd like add to the Black Mountain talk. Tony's right, there are moments of Pink Floyd Proggyness and Black Sabbath Riffing, as well as a healthy dose of '70's folk, but the end result is something unique. It's all encapsulated for me in the overblown, over the top and overpowering 'Bright Lights' for me - I've actually caught myself head-banging when those killer riffs finally kick in, but then at others, it's made me turn it off. They seem to have more depth than fellow 70's riff stylists like Wolfmother, but I haven't decided yet whether that thickness comes from more musical ideas or a greater self-indulgence - their musical palette is certainly broader, with the FM rock sounds reminiscent of Tom Petty and Neil Young coming in on certain tracks, and some glorious keyboards.

The New Steve Malkmus, of course, is getting played a lot.

The one album I might be ahead of the game on somewhat (least ways it still seems to be escaping the attention of many bloggers and reviewers) is Devastations' 'Yes U', which I believe is only now getting a stateside release. They're from my hometown of Melbourne, though they've resided the bulk of their three lp existence in Berlin and London. Moody, atmospheric, with a penchant for distortion soundscaping and drum machines live, this three-piece have gone beyond Bad Seeds' and Rowland S Howard comparisons on 'Yes U' and found their own thing.

Actually, Pitchfork have a sample, and it was released yesterday in the US.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby unikrunk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:20 am

New Magnetic Fields is surprisingly less pretty, and better for it, IMO. Great album. California Girls is a gobsmacking good track.

Also been digging on some Black Mountain and Vampire Weekend.

@Tape – New Malkmus? Not getting released stateside until Mar. 16 (seeing him in ATL on 3.18), did you get the early DL thing? I have been hearing a lot of groaning about peeps not getting the email for the DL yet.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:25 am

Actually a bud of mine bought the cd for reals online from Matador and it was sent out early (I've heard of a few people doing this), and I grabbed a copy on my mp3 player.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby unikrunk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:28 am

nice score tape!
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 pm

unikrunk wrote:New Magnetic Fields is surprisingly less pretty, and better for it, IMO. Great album. California Girls is a gobsmacking good track.

What about "too drunk to dream." Love that track.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:02 pm

tapehead wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I haven't seen Black Mountain - In The Future Mentioned yet, I just got it and I'm in love. Yeh it's deeply retro but it's perfectly balanced - even on a 16 minute length epic it doesn't out stay it's welcome.

Came in here to talk up Caribou's Andorra album (I know it's an '07 release, I just struggle to keep things relative with music, and a band that can go from Beach Boy harmonies to Deep House / Epic Rock synthesis all in one track deserve repeated props) but while I'm at it I'd like add to the Black Mountain talk. Tony's right, there are moments of Pink Floyd Proggyness and Black Sabbath Riffing, as well as a healthy dose of '70's folk, but the end result is something unique. It's all encapsulated for me in the overblown, over the top and overpowering 'Bright Lights' for me - I've actually caught myself head-banging when those killer riffs finally kick in, but then at others, it's made me turn it off. They seem to have more depth than fellow 70's riff stylists like Wolfmother, but I haven't decided yet whether that thickness comes from more musical ideas or a greater self-indulgence - their musical palette is certainly broader, with the FM rock sounds reminiscent of Tom Petty and Neil Young coming in on certain tracks, and some glorious keyboards.

The New Steve Malkmus, of course, is getting played a lot.

The one album I might be ahead of the game on somewhat (least ways it still seems to be escaping the attention of many bloggers and reviewers) is Devastations' 'Yes U', which I believe is only now getting a stateside release. They're from my hometown of Melbourne, though they've resided the bulk of their three lp existence in Berlin and London. Moody, atmospheric, with a penchant for distortion soundscaping and drum machines live, this three-piece have gone beyond Bad Seeds' and Rowland S Howard comparisons on 'Yes U' and found their own thing.

Actually, Pitchfork have a sample, and it was released yesterday in the US.

It's a quantum leap from Wolfmother (spits) to Black Mountain. As a committed Kyuss devotee I was very happy to BM get some pretty widespread love in these parts and amongst professional critics too. Tape's bang on about them being more than the sum of their parts, there's full conviction in the songs which I think helps them pull off the more outré prog sections without making me smirk or throw things.

And Andorra is minblowingly great, I gave Caribou a nod in my top ten for 07.
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm fascinated by the new Goldfrapp single at the moment.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:10 pm

The whole album is brilliant. So different from their last.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:48 pm

TonyWilson wrote:It's a quantum leap from Wolfmother (spits) to Black Mountain.

Never really understood the Wolfmother antipathy - too much Black Sabbath aping? I like Black Mountain, but there's not great gulf between the two, exept in terms of track length.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 pm

tapehead wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:It's a quantum leap from Wolfmother (spits) to Black Mountain.

Never really understood the Wolfmother antipathy - too much Black Sabbath aping? I like Black Mountain, but there's not great gulf between the two, exept in terms of track length.

Nooooo. Wolfmother feel like a thin copy of Sabbath with a bit of pop wedged in to sell records. BM feel like they're serious about it.

I got A Place To Bury Strangers today cus of Burl and KC's recommendation in the journal thread.
Definitely similar to New Order, especially the vocal. Given it one spin and it seems pretty good so far.
TonyWilson

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:15 pm

:)
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Flumm on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:47 am

That Vampire Weekend record is far too catchy for it's own good. I keep playing it, waiting to get bored, and it dares me for more spins...

I also want to say something like "Foiled again, damn you, Vampire Weekend - I'll get you yet!", perhaps with a fist wave, for both making me like their music and yet chosing such a sub-ScoobyDoo pun worthy name.

I wait in earnest for my Goldfrapp fix to download.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:59 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:49 am

Fuck, I know I already spoke out on Black Mountain's new album, but I need to take a moment and suck their dicks.

Upon getting really, really high last night, and listening to In The Future on my headphones, I seriously tranced out for the first time since I saw Ravi Shankar on my 25th birthday.

This album is fucking incredible; the bonus disk is where it is at - three amazing tracks, which serve as an encore to the main repast. But back to the trancing out.

No music, none, has held sway over me like this in years. I have not 'got lost in the music' for a very long time, and I would like to thank everyone involved in this effort for a job well done. A woolly Sabbath, indeed. This is how you do emotionally charged stoner rock, people. Get a pencil, and take some fucking notes, suits. This is the shit people want to hear.

Thanks Black Mountain!

------------

In addition, I am putting Cat Stevens' Harold and Maude soundtrack in my 'Best of '08' list. Not sure where it falls, but it is somewhere near the top. Brilliant on so many levels.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:48 pm

Alright, you talked me into getting the new Black Mountain album.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:36 pm

oh shnikey, thanks for that!

UniK - thanks for the reminder about those bonus tracks, I had completely forgotten about them...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Q1 Releases

Postby buster00 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:45 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Kate Nash Made Of Bricks

I adore this CD. Highest recommedation.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:51 pm

She doesn't talk like she sings damnit!!!!!
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby buster00 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:55 pm

TonyWilson wrote:She doesn't talk like she sings damnit!!!!!

Really? I've never heard her talk, but I'm so in LURVE with the way she sings. She reminds me a bit of Harriet Wheeler from The Sundays.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Pop Apocalypse is talking about 'Be Your own Pet's new lp, Get Awkward'... released in March?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:32 pm

tapehead wrote:Pop Apocalypse is talking about 'Be Your own Pet's new lp, Get Awkward'... released in March?

yeah, I yoinked that as well..."Becky"* is just fucking awesome, there are a handful of other tracks that are pretty solid, and while I forgive them for a lot of transgressions just based on their youth, I don't think it's much of an improvement over their debut.

but they've got oodles of potential. Still sound a bit too much like jr. Yeah Yeah Yeah'ers, minus Nick's musical acumen, but they kinda make up for that with sloppy infectiousness.

plus, Jemina's wearing tube socks on the cover, and I'm still a sucker for that look.

*love, love, love this song - it's winning combination of sassy girl group sounds of the 50's-60's and the Riot Grrrl! ethos - sure, it's catty and less of the up-with-girl-power variety than I would like, but it's just so spunky!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:02 pm

BYOP is great great great, especially live. Problem is, they only play for like 20 minutes at a time. I made a trip into the city especially to see them, and they were done by the time I got my coat off.

Thanks for the link, tape!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:08 pm

The Mae Shi - HILLYTH. Man this is such a great fookin album. Spaz, noise and pop mixed in one 4 piece package. Each song is a burst of pure energy. They'll hit you with crazy riffs then take the song in unexpected directions these detours could all be their own songs but strangely fit into the context in which it is presented and just as spontaneously they will return to whence you came. Do not take these as bridges or chorus's or anything typical as the Mae Shi don't play by any rules. Want yelling? want harmonizing vocals? want electronic beats? You got it all in one crazy ass 4 piece.

She & Him - Volume One. Take one part Zooey Deschanel take one part M Ward mix and you have She & Him. I was a little worried at first not sure if Zooey's voice could be the centerpiece of an entire album, but damn she carries it with applomb. You have everything from folk to doo-wop to allmost Billie Holiday sounding jazz. The first song starts off pretty minimal but then some muted strings kick in and we are off to a great start. The song gradually builds and you realize you are in good hands. If you are looking for M Ward vocals on this album look to his solo stuff because your not finding it here as he is merely the foundation for Zooey's voice.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 am

A new Boy Least Likely To track on Side One Track One. Man I absolutely adored their first album and based on this first track I can't wait to hear more of the new one.

"I'M A BALLOON ON A BROKEN STRING! I DON'T BELONG TO ANYONE OR ANYTHING! ANYMORE!" Sorry that was me singing along as this song is just that damn catchy.

Seriously the song is just ridiculously cute whimsical and catchy. Yes the song is pretty twee so if you have an aversion to that type of thing stay far far away.

A Balloon On A Broken String
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:44 pm

I can't seem to stop listening to "Fascination" by Alphabeat at the moment.

Nor that new Hot Chip single.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:06 pm

Alphabeat is a great band name.

The beginning of "Fascination" makes me think that Kenny Loggins is gonna cut loose. Foot loose.

It's not horrid, but I'll take The Human League any day.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:20 pm

Christ, nearly 2 months into the year and I found the first song of 2008 that made me want to wet myself with uncontrollable DANCE DANCE DANCE. The song is Ghostland Observatories "The Band Marches On". I need to go and change my pants and underwears now.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:50 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Christ, nearly 2 months into the year and I found the first song of 2008 that made me want to wet myself with uncontrollable DANCE DANCE DANCE. The song is Ghostland Observatories "The Band Marches On". I need to go and change my pants and underwears now.

I just got their new album, but havent got to listen much yet.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:33 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Ghostland Observatories

i'm kinda digging the disco soul diva who fronts them, the beats are a nice combination of Jam & Lewis circa Janet Jackson's Control (unfortunately, minus the 808's, but it sounds like a decent facsimile) and modern electronic knob twiddling.

it's like they DNA sequenced Donna Summer, En Vogue, the C+C Music Factory, and whatever Eurotrash electronica dance act is hot at the moment.

thanks for the rec...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:41 pm

It's my goal to make you give up hippety hop for electronic!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:It's my goal to make you give up hippety hop for electronic!

the way most commercial hip-hop is headin', you might not have to wait to long...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 am

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I WILL OWN THIS! IT WILL BE MINE!!!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:58 am

RogueScribner wrote:I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I WILL OWN THIS! IT WILL BE MINE!!!

I dont know if it could be best new music. As one it's old ;). and two you havent listened to the release ;).

However, thanks for the info this could definitely be some cool stuff.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Best New Music 2008

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:32 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:What are you looking forward to in the coming year?

I took that as my opening. :-P

And hey, the film scores for all the sequels have never been released before, so IT'S NEW!!! ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Re: Best New Music 2008

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 am

RogueScribner wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:What are you looking forward to in the coming year?

I took that as my opening. :-P

And hey, the film scores for all the sequels have never been released before, so IT'S NEW!!! ;)

Touche!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:54 am

Anyone heard the new Bauhaus? Lots of reviews out there are saying it's the shit...
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:07 pm

Finally a new Notwist Album!!!!

pitchfork wrote:It's been quite some time since we've heard from German pop-electronic outfit the Notwist, and the few times we have, it's been in bit parts: a couple EPs, member Markus Acher's work with Subtle, Micha Acher's work in Ms. John Soda, the 13 & God record, Tied & Tickled Trio, some festival dates. But there hasn't been a full-length from these guys since 2002's swoon-worthy Neon Golden.

That will change, however, with the arrival of the Notwist's new album, due out in late May on City Slang in Europe and early June in North America and Japan on Domino. The Devil, You + Me collects 11 tracks and features collaborations with the Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra, among other sonic wonders. The album will be available on CD, vinyl, and digital download. Skip on over to the band's official website right now for some recording footage.

The Notwist will begin courting The Devil on a bunch of European dates scheduled for the spring and summer, starting with an April 23 show in Prague.

The Devil, You + Me:

01 Good Lies
02 Where in the World
03 Gloomy
04 Alphabet
05 The Devil, You & Me
06 Gravity
07 Sleep
08 On Planet Off
09 Boneless
10 Hands on Us
11 Gone Gone Gone

Good Lies can be heard here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Zarles wrote:Anyone heard the new Bauhaus? Lots of reviews out there are saying it's the shit...

From the music journal thread:
uni-jerk wrote:Now, seeing as I have spewed forth bile in my last couple of posts in here, a nice review is in order…Bauhaus, step up to the podium please.

Go Away White is a fantastic album, and fits their catalogue perfectly; that is not to say it is a riff on earlier work, this is a thought out and perfectly executed record. There are some hints of Love and Rockets in there, and, it all works. This does not sound like a reunion album, it sounds like some unearthed tracks from ’82. Like, you found a treasure chest stuffed with an unreleased Bauhaus album. And some good weed. Peter Murphy still sounds like Thurston Howell and Kermit Thee Frog’s love-child at times, but, other than that, this is tits. Magic 8-ball says, “All signs point to ‘Yes’.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow, & Blue

I have been ruffed up! (had to ;)) I have been listening to this album for awhile and it's only getting better. The jerky start/stop rhythms, the sing-a-long / chanty vocal interplay, the clever wordplay, and just rocking demeanor have overcome me with their charms to become the best indie rock album I’ve heard all year. Give this album a chance and you’ll be yelping along with the band in no time.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:45 pm

even with the somewhat degraded quality of the leak, even with the looooong layoff, even with crushing expectations...

the new Portishead album, THIRD, is rather awesome.

I, of course, dig the more bouncy, propulsive tracks like "We Carry On" and "Machine Gun" (that is they're labeled correctly, never know with these early leaks) - I tagged 'em both with *****, and they get better with each listen.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:even with the somewhat degraded quality of the leak, even with the looooong layoff, even with crushing expectations...

the new Portishead album, THIRD, is rather awesome.

I, of course, dig the more bouncy, propulsive tracks like "We Carry On" and "Machine Gun" (that is they're labeled correctly, never know with these early leaks) - I tagged 'em both with *****, and they get better with each listen.

Whaaa? I didn't even know this was being made. How shitty is the leak?
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:15 am

There's a new Portishead album out? Or, soon to be out? Between this and word of a new Garbage album hitting later this year, I'm a very happy listener!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

PreviousNext

Return to Music