2008 Music Journal

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:08 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
stereosforgeek s wrote:
Bayou wrote:Alrigh t... I'm not really understanding the love for Vampire Weekend.

Am I just out of touch as to where Punk is these days?


Vampire Weekend is not punk. It's Paul Simon pop with a bit of a snarky edge that is all.

I hate the Times New Viking as well. There could be some good moments on the cd but youd never know it.


Yeah that's the frustrating thing. When you listen to a song, you can hear good guitar work and vocals, but then it's just buried under really irritating hiss.


I even like Lo-fi garage sounding recording when used in the proper context but this was to an extreme and Times New Viking should never have utilized it.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:51 pm

I wish I could just wish them out of existence!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby unikrunk on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:30 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:Feist - The Reminder – S’alright. I am sick to death of Broken Social Scene, so this is a slight bit better. Am I the only person that thinks she is over-hyped?


No. In fact I was kind of pissed last year that Feist's boring album was getting all this attention when an album by a girlie going by the moniker St. Vincent received NONE. Check her out if you are in the mood for female pop with some actual intelligence behind it.

Oh, and do you ever listen to music you LIKE?

;)


ILASH; all the time, but in reading my reviews one would not think so. In fact, in re-reading my posts, I seem to come off like some curmudgeon who does not want to hear shit unless in has the words Harry Waller in it and plays on my precious gramophone.

AN example of some new shit that I love;

These New Puritans – Beat Pyramid –Holy crap this has so many great elements to it, so many things I love about music condensed into a perfect package. Punchy drums and guitars with no sustain snotty sounding British vocals, and beats that remind one of everything from Consolidated to MIA.

I need to give this album a few more plays before writing an objective review; at this time I am awestruck, and am in severe dick-sucking mode for this album. Check out a track

Album drops stateside in mid-March

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music? – Third outing is great, Pixies-school riff laden goodness. But dudes, it’s time to stretch your legs a little. You rock, try to change it up once in a while.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah I have that These New Puritans album, and it's on my playlist I use to rate songs in iTunes, but the only things I have heard from it are tracks that are like :27 in length! I will make a concerted effort to listen to some significant tracks tonight.

And I was just giving you grief. I figured the bullshit stuff you've been reviewing was probably forced into your CD player by your wife.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby doglips on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:20 pm

So here's my new record and first hear ratings for '08. I'm way behind on new listening this year and seem to be relying on Emusic for most of my new stuff. Looking forward to new Bat for Lashes material and I'm starting to like The Ting Tings ( LOVE that second link! ) more each day so their LP can't come soon enough.

Sharon Jones comes up trumps as usual - another great record, Taken by Trees is right up my lo-fi/twee alley, Interesting covers from Cat Power - some work, some don't but that voice is just too good to rate it lower. British Sea Power try way too hard and manage to produce an LP that in no way lives up to the hype and raves it's been getting. Okay is a great listen ( thanks SFG! ) Love the Jens Lekman, can't believe I missed out on it last year, beautifully constructed and emotive stuff. Vampire Weekend is the best of the year so far for me - intelligent indie-pop, some brilliant lyrics and chock full of charming melodies - a great debut record. The last four have to be listened to more before I rate, although I'm enjoying them all.

Taken by Trees - Open Field 8/10
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - 100 days, 100 nights 9/10
Cat Power - Jukebox 7/10
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music 3/10
Okay - Huggable Dust 7/10
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala 9/10
Vampire Weekend 9/10
Mahjongg - Kontpab 8/10
The Dirty Projectors - Rise Above 9.5/10
High Places - 03/07 - 09/07 8/10
The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride 7/10
MGMT - Time to Pretend EP - 8/10
Beach House - Devotion - 9/10
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - 6/10
Portishead - Third 10/10
Tapes'n'Tapes - Walk it Off - 6/10
Hercules & Love Affair 9/10
Hot Chip - Made In the Dark - 7/10
Goldfrapp - 7th Tree 4/10
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours - 8/10
Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing - 9/10
Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP - 8/10
Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight - 7/10
The Dodos - Visiter - 7/10
Ladytron - Velocifero - 8/10
Wolf Parade - At Mountain Zoomer - 9/10
Lykke Li - Youth Novels - 9/10
REM - Accelerate - 6/10
The Roots - Rising Down - 6/10
Shearwater - Rook - 10/10
Last edited by doglips on Fri May 09, 2008 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 pm

I added ratings to my list to give an approximate idea of where I think each album fits.

Revisions will occur as needed.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - The Hard Sell - ♥♥1/2
[list]Sonic blech. What happened? It's like they barely tried. Some high points on the first track, particularly the stroll down De La memory lane (if someone hasn't made a hip-hop opus based on Prince Paul's and P.A. Mase's samples, someone damn well should) and a couple choice cuts and scratches...but I bumped this for West Coast friends who grew up on the duo and their various side projects, and even they weren't feelin' it.
At all.


I know, Right? I mean, mixing in a Foo Fighters track? They're touring under this moniker here in April and this set has seriously given pause to the idea of shelling out for tickets to see them.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby unikrunk on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:17 am

The Raveonettes - Lust Lust Lust

Pretty good, if you are into their thing. This is far better than the last album, pretty much on par with their first outing. Some nice echoey guitars and vocals. Only listened to it once, so I need to give it a few more passes before rendering a verdict on it.

Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash

Pure fucking gold. Fuck me. Malky is up to tricks again, and his guitar hi-jinx has never sounded better. And of course the fucking thing is lyrically rich. Just get Pavement back together for Christ's sake. Or not. But this sounds like a Pavement record, only tighter and more produced. And that is not really a bad thing.

The Dirtbombs - We Have You Surrounded

If you like these Detroit bad-asses, you already know what you are in for here. This also applies if you do not like them, however, I would find that strange, as they are bad-asses.


Did I mention that this is a bad-ass record? Bad-ass.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:57 am

Best Music of February:

Boris - Smile - 8.0
The Mae Shi - HLLYH - 8.0
Autistic Daughters - Uneasy Flowers - 8.0
Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark - 8.0
Hercules & Love Affair - Hercules & Love Affair - 8.0
Lykke Li - Youth Novel - 8.0
These New Puritans - Beat Pyramid - 8.0
She & Him - Volume One - 8.5
Apes & Androids - Blood Moon - 8.0
Ghostland Observatory - Robotique Majestique - 8.0
Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow & Blue - 8.5
Beach House - Devotion - 8.0
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 pm

unikrunk wrote:Did I mention that this is a bad-ass record? Bad-ass.


bad ass!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Noteable stuff from John:

Dead Meadow - Old Growth
Ghostland Observatories - Robotique Majestique
Grand Archives - Grand Archives
Jes - Into the Dawn
Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Ha

Best Tracks: Be Your Own Pet - "Becky"
Rooney - "Forever Young"
Ghostland Observatory - "The Band Marches On"
Dirty on Purpose - "Send Me An Angel"
Grand Archives - "Sleepdriving"

Oh and updated my journal (hint: page ONE bitches)... exhausted now.
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:19 pm

That Grand Archives cd just bores me. I really love the first band of horses cd and all the other Carissa's Weird related stuff too but I just can't do this one.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:52 pm

Yet you rate Drive-by Truckers an 8/10! Don't lecture me abut boredome, Mista!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:12 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yet you rate Drive-by Truckers an 8/10! Don't lecture me abut boredome, Mista!


It's a very varied album! Some damn good songwriting. :D
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:20 pm

i.e. it is not cohesive and has pretentious lyrics and themes?

and it makes me want to zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am just giving you a hard time. That album isn't that bad. I just felt spurned because grand archives did kind of move me.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:26 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Apes & Androids - Blood Moon - 8.0


I took a chance on this album after seeing it on the geek's last.fm profile and sampling a couple of tracks from here - maybe start with 'Nights of the Week', as I imagine that if that doesn't grab you, the rest of the tracks probably won't. It's an album that starts off by hitting a lot of musical reference points, most of them firmly entrenched in the 70's and '80's.

I'm honestly not sure that anyone under the age of 25 would enjoy this in the same way that I do - they would instead probably find it startlingly original. it's Bowie backed by the Sparks or Brian Ferry jamming with Queen and Kraftwerk... the comparisons start to sound pretty dumb, because ultimately it doesn't come off as a retro sound.

It's good anyway - absurdist, playful pop music, and worth a listen just for the excellent electronic flourishes at the edges of every song. One of my favourite finds so far this year.

Currently in heavy rotation is Shocking Pinks LP - can't say enough about this guy from NZ who seems so inspired by British bands like Joy Division, New Order, My Bloody Valentine and the Jesus and Mary Chain. In retrospect this has turned out to be one of my favourites for '07.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:50 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:i.e. it is not cohesive and has pretentious lyrics and themes?

and it makes me want to zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am just giving you a hard time. That album isn't that bad. I just felt spurned because grand archives did kind of move me.


Yeah a lot of the other stuff they have done has moved me as well.

I will give it some more listens and see if anything grabs me.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:53 pm

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Apes & Androids - Blood Moon - 8.0


I took a chance on this album after seeing it on the geek's last.fm profile and sampling a couple of tracks from here - maybe start with 'Nights of the Week', as I imagine that if that doesn't grab you, the rest of the tracks probably won't. It's an album that starts off by hitting a lot of musical reference points, most of them firmly entrenched in the 70's and '80's.

I'm honestly not sure that anyone under the age of 25 would enjoy this in the same way that I do - they would instead probably find it startlingly original. it's Bowie backed by the Sparks or Brian Ferry jamming with Queen and Kraftwerk... the comparisons start to sound pretty dumb, because ultimately it doesn't come off as a retro sound.

It's good anyway - absurdist, playful pop music, and worth a listen just for the excellent electronic flourishes at the edges of every song. One of my favourite finds so far this year.

Currently in heavy rotation is Shocking Pinks LP - can't say enough about this guy from NZ who seems so inspired by British bands like Joy Division, New Order, My Bloody Valentine and the Jesus and Mary Chain. In retrospect this has turned out to be one of my favourites for '07.


Glad you like the Apes and Androids tape.

That Shocking Pinks cd was definitely a great find of 07 for me as well. While he is inspired by those bands the shocking pinks definitely are more playful than any of the bands listed, which is what keeps me keep coming back.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:06 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Best Music of February:

Hercules & Love Affair - Hercules & Love Affair - 8.0


Thanks for that!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:10 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
stereosforgeek s wrote:Best Music of February:

Hercules & Love Affair - Hercules & Love Affair - 8.0


Thanks for that!


Antony over 80s chicago style house music! What is not to love ;)?
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:15 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Apes & Androids - Blood Moon - 8.0


I took a chance on this album after seeing it on the geek's last.fm profile and sampling a couple of tracks from here - maybe start with 'Nights of the Week', as I imagine that if that doesn't grab you, the rest of the tracks probably won't. It's an album that starts off by hitting a lot of musical reference points, most of them firmly entrenched in the 70's and '80's.

I'm honestly not sure that anyone under the age of 25 would enjoy this in the same way that I do - they would instead probably find it startlingly original. it's Bowie backed by the Sparks or Brian Ferry jamming with Queen and Kraftwerk... the comparisons start to sound pretty dumb, because ultimately it doesn't come off as a retro sound.

It's good anyway - absurdist, playful pop music, and worth a listen just for the excellent electronic flourishes at the edges of every song. One of my favourite finds so far this year.

Currently in heavy rotation is Shocking Pinks LP - can't say enough about this guy from NZ who seems so inspired by British bands like Joy Division, New Order, My Bloody Valentine and the Jesus and Mary Chain. In retrospect this has turned out to be one of my favourites for '07.


Glad you like the Apes and Androids tape.

That Shocking Pinks cd was definitely a great find of 07 for me as well. While he is inspired by those bands the shocking pinks definitely are more playful than any of the bands listed, which is what keeps me keep coming back.


Oh yeah, inspirations aside, he definitely has his own thing going on - and the punkish, whiny side he seems to have is never allowed to dominate too much.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:06 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:Did I mention that this is a bad-ass record? Bad-ass.


bad ass!


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh sweet lord that is fuckled.


Top drawer, old man.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:51 pm

doglips wrote:Mahjongg - Kontpab ?/10


how was that? I plucked one of their earlier albums off emusic after p4K's glowing review compared them to The Rapture, but while it was solid, it was nothing special.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:53 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Best Tracks: Be Your Own Pet - "Becky"


told 'ya!

did you find the rest of the album an improvement?

burlivesleftnut wrote:Oh and updated my journal (hint: page ONE bitches)... exhausted now.


not to stroke your nuts, but your journal is my favorite thing to read in the Zone...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
doglips wrote:Mahjongg - Kontpab ?/10


how was that? I plucked one of their earlier albums off emusic after p4K's glowing review compared them to The Rapture, but while it was solid, it was nothing special.


Sorry, I'll update - it's 8/10 for sure, a very accomplished electronic album, more Matthew Dear than The Rapture. It's good but it's not special. That Dirty Projectors LP is special.....

EDIT - updated etc.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Anyone got that Fleet Foxes EP yet? I'm looking at you SFG!......
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:55 pm

I just got the whole album!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:00 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I just got the whole album!


Yeah I got it yesterday, but haven't got a chance to hear all of it yet.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:04 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I just got the whole album!


Any good? Pitchfork are raving......
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:14 pm

I have only listened to parts of it. But what I have heard sounds real nice.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby unikrunk on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Gaddam it. This guy is playing a frikin in-store today where I work. Fuck. Me. Not only will I have to listen to shit music, I will be forced to deal with his fucking fans while trying to do my job.

His new album...great. :roll:

For the twee album of the year award, and yeah, I am going ahead and calling it early, Beach House - Devotion. If staring at your navel is your kettle of dicks, slap your money on the counter, and prepare to be un-rocked, utterly. You will be blissfully adrift in a sea of beige. Enjoy.

Alison Goldfrapp wants to barf on your balls. Thanks for nothing, Seventh Tree.

Dead Meadow is ruling shit.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 pm

unikrunk wrote:For the twee album of the year award, and yeah, I am going ahead and calling it early, Beach House - Devotion. If staring at your navel is your kettle of dicks, slap your money on the counter, and prepare to be un-rocked, utterly. You will be blissfully adrift in a sea of beige. Enjoy.


Twee? Really? I get more of a Mojave 3 slowcore type of feel.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:57 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
unikrunk wrote:For the twee album of the year award, and yeah, I am going ahead and calling it early, Beach House - Devotion. If staring at your navel is your kettle of dicks, slap your money on the counter, and prepare to be un-rocked, utterly. You will be blissfully adrift in a sea of beige. Enjoy.


Twee? Really? I get more of a Mojave 3 slowcore type of feel.


Yar. Twee is perhaps not a good descriptor; I was using it sarcastically. Like, “look at the twee baby, does it want some candy?â€
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:07 pm

guh... just updated with a bunch of new additions. No reviews until tomorrow sometime.

But I am reaching the point of exhaustion with this year in music. THERE IS TOO MUCH GOOD STUFF OUT THERE. I have over 700 songs in my UNRATED playlist in iTunes, which hasn't seen that many songs since I first started rating songs! I need to hire a pinch rater or something.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:18 pm

unikrunk wrote:Alison Goldfrapp wants to barf on your balls. Thanks for nothing, Seventh Tree.


hate!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:32 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:Alison Goldfrapp wants to barf on your balls. Thanks for nothing, Seventh Tree.


hate!


HA! I like it better than anything that has come before, in all seriousness. I just felt like typing out the sentence 'Alison Goldfrapp wants to barf on your balls'.

So, music of late...

Be Your Own Pet – Get Awkward

This band would rule as an instrumental only type deal. The music is great, but the vocals, or more specifically the lyrics, are pussy as hell. I mean, seriously? You wrote those words, and then sang them? WTF? The album has the lyrical quality of a fucking Tiffany album.

But the music, she is so good. In the end, the horrible lyrics kill it all, and one listen was enough for my co-workers and me.

The Sword – 10in vinyl EP – Fire Lances of the Ancient Hyperzephyrians

Holy fuck. If you want to have your guts stomped in with some excellent stoner-core hobbit-rock, look no further. This EP is thee shit. I also caught a listen of their upcoming full release, and, it is likewise chock-full of ass-kickery and calling on The Gods of Old to smite your enemies and their first-born sons. Thank you Sword dudes, you rule.

Snoop Dogg – Ego Trippin’

Easily the best and most creative album Snoop has ever put out. This thing is all over the place, with an awesome Prince cover, and a fucking full-on fer realz country song. God, that song is tits; he opens the track by dedicating the song to Johnny Cash, and then goes on to sing a great country track. No rapping, just singing about the shit that’s got him down. Snoop, thanks for stretching those legs, this record is the shit.

Del the Funky Homosapien - Eleventh Hour

8 years is a long time between releases, Del. But, in listening to Eleventh Hour, all is forgiven, as you delivered a fucking beat-fest, lyrically rich and ultimately satisfying record. Thank you for not going all Beastie Boys on us, and holding off for 8 years only releasing a lack-luster bullshit album. Seriously. Thank you.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:32 pm

I am on the fence with Holy Fuck; it contains things I like about music, but it gets on my fucking nerves after a little while. A guy I work with saw them last week and said it rocked, so, fuck, I don't know. It’s like all the bad parts to good shit...or something.

Born Ruffians are kicking it up, Red, Yellow and Blue is hit or miss, but the hit is wicked hard, and the misses are not full-on disasters.

Upon further review, it seems that the Magnetic Fields and The Ravonettes recorded the same fucking album. It's a good one.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:22 pm

unikrunk wrote:Born Ruffians are kicking it up, Red, Yellow and Blue is hit or miss, but the hit is wicked hard, and the misses are not full-on disasters.


The album goes on for one song too long for sure. I also am not a fan of "little garcon."
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby unikrunk on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:35 pm

The Sword - Gods of the Earth

This full-length album comes on the heels of the 10in vinyl ep last week, and is pretty fucking solid if redundant. I mean, I love the shit out of it, but it sounds like the same song for 35 minutes. One trick pony? Perhaps; however the trick is fucking awesome.

The Kills - Midnight Boom

Yeah, it's pretty all right. Need to listen to it again, it sorta rocked, but did not hold my attention in any manner.

Witch - Paralyzed

Fucking amazing aggressive doom metal from Mascis, Thomas and Sweetapple. This entire album makes me want to commit acts of vandalism...which is good.

Adam Green - Sixes and Sevens

Okay. Listen. Adam.

You and Kimya seriously need to STFU for, like, five minutes. No. You can't re-release another album...no, stop talking. I want you to think about what the fuck you Moldy Peaches douche-asses have done, and how you plan on paying your debt to mankind.

Assholes.

Well, that's all for now! :)
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Seppuku on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:09 am

unikrunk wrote:Adam Green - Sixes and Sevens

Okay. Listen. Adam.

You and Kimya seriously need to STFU for, like, five minutes. No. You can't re-release another album...no, stop talking. I want you to think about what the fuck you Moldy Peaches douche-asses have done, and how you plan on paying your debt to mankind.

Assholes.

Well, that's all for now! :)


To be fair, some of his solo stuff (Gemstones, Jacket Full of Danger) almost makes up for the atrocities he committed with the Moldy Peaches. Even with the dodgy lyrics. Sixes and Sevens is pretty weak though. I'm not really a fan of the pack as many genres into one album as possible style of music, but sometimes it works if you know what you're doing... Adam Green is no Beck.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:32 am

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely

This is just not that good, but I did not dig on the first album much anyway, so my lack of interest was sorta predestined. I don’t know what the hell happened to the man, but whatever it is should be taken seriously; I am speaking of the disease that is slowly turning Jack White into Madame, the wisecracking old hag. This was a rush release, I think attempting to get out in front of April’s REM release…and you can tell. It needed a little more time in post, gents.

Elf Power - In A Cave

Brilliant psychedelic music, that sounds like it comes from another planet. And that planet’s name is ‘Fuck Yes’.

The B-52s – Funplex

Wow, this sucks. Hey, B-52’s, you realize you are pulling a Rolling Stones thing here, right? I mean, I know that just because you are sixty years old does not mean you have to stop rocking, but you have not had a release in 16 years…maybe that was a sign. Lackluster, irritating and ultimately forgettable, Funplex is a stupid record from a bunch of Georgia twats that should be tending their hedges rather than putting on 17lbs of make-up and the tightest girdles this side of 1879.

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple

More of the same, but the same tastes like stewed awesome. I like GB, and this outing is no different then the last. It’s akin to my love affair with McDonalds; a double ¼ pounder with cheese is the same everywhere you go, and I like that.

-------------------------
On a side note, I shall be hanging with Mick Jones of the FUCKING CLASH around mid-April…yeah. He is coming to work with us a little, and to demo some of his Carbon / Silicon stuff. That will be sweet!
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:38 am

unikrunk wrote:On a side note, I shall be hanging with Mick Jones of the FUCKING CLASH around mid-April…yeah. He is coming to work with us a little, and to demo some of his Carbon / Silicon stuff. That will be sweet!


that's all sorts of awesome.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:56 pm

I re-rated a bunch of things and added ratings for most of March's albums.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby beastie on Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 am

Anyone heard the new Tim Fite (Fair Ain't Fair)? I am having a really hard time getting into it, unlike Gone Ain't Gone or Over the Counter Culture.
User avatar
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:07 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 14, 2008 6:43 am

you would think that after burning through a typically freaky Funkadelic mini music fest, listening to the latest young up'n comers, the latest blog sensations, the hot shit in a champagne glass 8.5 P4K rating green around the gills Glen Rock new fucking Joisy newcomers Titus Andronicus would be a bit of a let down.

fuck, listening to most anything post an only early years Funkadelic sampling mini music fest wouldn't stand a studly chance on some slim pickens.

the Boss meets the Wrens.
late 80's/early 90's lo-fi indie recording meets a screamo.
Infectious, fist pumping bar jams (dare, nay, I double dare the Hold Steady to have these cats as an opener - 'cuz they're Bruce Sutter's split finger, Mariano's cutter, Trevor Hoffman's change-up, and, for good measure, Lee Smith's glare all rolled into one - non-baseball fans, that means they're closers) meets...well, what the fuck do infectious, fist pumping bar jams meet aside from fists in faces?

and that's, pretty much, what The Airing of Grievances is...a fist punch to the facha from a good friend who means you well.

so, yeah, I'm digging it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 14, 2008 9:10 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:you would think that after burning through a typically freaky Funkadelic mini music fest, listening to the latest young up'n comers, the latest blog sensations, the hot shit in a champagne glass 8.5 P4K rating green around the gills Glen Rock new fucking Joisy newcomers Titus Andronicus would be a bit of a let down.

fuck, listening to most anything post an only early years Funkadelic sampling mini music fest wouldn't stand a studly chance on some slim pickens.

the Boss meets the Wrens.
late 80's/early 90's lo-fi indie recording meets a screamo.
Infectious, fist pumping bar jams (dare, nay, I double dare the Hold Steady to have these cats as an opener - 'cuz they're Bruce Sutter's split finger, Mariano's cutter, Trevor Hoffman's change-up, and, for good measure, Lee Smith's glare all rolled into one - non-baseball fans, that means they're closers) meets...well, what the fuck do infectious, fist pumping bar jams meet aside from fists in faces?

and that's, pretty much, what The Airing of Grievances is...a fist punch to the facha from a good friend who means you well.

so, yeah, I'm digging it.


The only thing that turns me off about it is the Oberst-ish crooning.

Nice write-up though for sure!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 14, 2008 9:49 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:The only thing that turns me off about it is the Oberst-ish crooning.


less high pitched, deeper, and lower in the mix makes it infinitely more palatable.

and certainly more Oberst of (and this is for you Vegeta, 'cuz I know you're a fan) Desaparecidos, than Bright Eyes.

can't get enough of this album...from the buzzsawing guitars crescendoing up through the lo-fi murk, to the pounding, marching, move your ass drums, to the scuzzy harmonica, to the, least what I can make intelligible, pretty darn good enough lyrics.

no way this won't be a top 10 album for me come year end.

get into 'em now, before they blow the fuck up. Heard their live show is something fierce to boot.

Can certainly believe that - if they bring half the energy of the album one will be in for a rip snorting, beer spraying, sweaty dancing experience.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeek s wrote:The only thing that turns me off about it is the Oberst-ish crooning.


less high pitched, deeper, and lower in the mix makes it infinitely more palatable.

and certainly more Oberst of (and this is for you Vegeta, 'cuz I know you're a fan) Desaparecidos, than Bright Eyes.


Yeah most definitely a rocking Oberst as opposed to whiny Oberst haha.

I am not sure the album will end up in the top 10 for me but it's most likely going to be one of the best albums of the year. I will definitely see them next time they show up.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Brocktune on Mon May 19, 2008 6:27 pm

well, i guess im a little late, but heres mine


JANUARY

Rascal Flatts - "Rascal Flatts" - 9/10

FEBRUARY

Rascal Flatts - "Melt" - 10/10

MARCH

nothin

APRIL

Rascal Flatts - "Feels Like Today" - 10/10
Rascal Flatts - "Me and My Gang" - 11.5/10

MAY

Rascal Flatts - "Still Feels Good" - 11/10

Me & My Gang - best record featuring lyrics about gangs and gangbanging EVAR!!!!!
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby doglips on Mon May 19, 2008 6:33 pm

I might have known your incisive ears would find the sophomore effort better than the original, I'm going to have to re-listen and re-evaluate.

Good to have you back, Brock!
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

PreviousNext

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron