Arcade Fire - Discussion

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Arcade Fire - Discussion

Postby Conroy420 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Any Arcade Fire fans?

I am not a huge fan of many modern bands. This band on the other hand, blew me away when I heard their debut 'Funeral'.

There follow up, 'Neon Bible' is very different than their previous offering and I can't wait to hear their new album, whenever it drops.

What are some of you Zoner's opinions? Love? Hate? Oblivious?
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Re: Arcade Fire - Discussion

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Conroy420 wrote:I can't wait to hear their new album, whenever it drops.

won't be for a while, I'm afraid, Win said something about taking a fairly lengthy hiatus when I saw them last year.

I liked them a lot, but seeing them live made me fall in love with them. Spectacular show.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Conroy420 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:28 pm

I missed there concert here in Vancouver. They played at Deer Lake Park, which is a huge outdoor area in Burnaby. I hated myself for not taking the time to go, but there was unforeseen circumstances preventing me.

That's disapointing about them taking time off. I understand though and it's probably a good idea to cool it.

They blew up pretty fast and had two albums that were adored by a critics and fans alike with a couple years of each other.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:31 pm

One of the truly exceptional bands of the 21st century. They pull fans in from all age groups and are truly original in their sound. I love Arcade Fire.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:and are truly original in their sound. I love Arcade Fire.

in that they've made their sound their own, maybe.

but if you combine early U2 and the soaring bombastic crescendos of fellow Canadians with a large band Godspeed You! Black Emperor you've got a pretty good template of the Arcade Fire sound...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:and are truly original in their sound. I love Arcade Fire.

but if you combine early U2 and the soaring bombastic crescendos of fellow Canadians with a large band Godspeed You! Black Emperor you've got a pretty good template of the Arcade Fire sound...

There is a lot of other post-rock stuff they take cue's from as well.

It's basically arena rock meets post-rock meets almost gothy sensibilities.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Pretty good band. I enjoy them, but don't think they're the 2nd coming. One of the rare diamonds in the rough that is music these days.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Vegeta wrote:Pretty good band. I enjoy them, but don't think they're the 2nd coming. One of the rare diamonds in the rough that is music these days.

Nobody is claiming them to be the 2nd coming. We're still waiting for the 1st :-P
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:37 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Also, particularly on their second LP, there's plenty of ELO and Bruce Springsteen in the vocals and production, maybe some Talking Heads in tracks like No Cars Go too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:51 pm

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Also, particularly on their second LP, there's plenty of ELO and Bruce Springsteen in the vocals and production, maybe some Talking Heads in tracks like No Cars Go too.

Very valid points as well.

They do manage to make this hodge podge of influences and idea actually work on their own terms and become something more than the sum of it's parts. This is in itself admirable.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 am

I don't know much about the band, but I've certainly enjoyed what I've heard. Good stuff.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Return to Music