Nine Inch Nails: "Ghosts"

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Nine Inch Nails: "Ghosts"

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:43 am

So Trent Reznor, what are you going to do with your newfound freedom from the music labels?

I'm going to put out a four-volume jam session and sell it for five bucks over the Internet!

"Ghosts" isn't bad, so far. I think as experiments go it's a little pretentious (the titles are the track numbers? Really, Mr. Reznor, who do you think you are, Radiohead?) but it's listenable.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:47 am

Now that Trent has kicked the drugs and booze he is actually releasing music on a quite regular basis. Good for him! What was it like five years between Downward Spiral and The Fragile? :-P
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 am

Vegeta wrote:Now that Trent has kicked the drugs and booze he is actually releasing music on a quite regular basis. Good for him! What was it like five years between Downward Spiral and The Fragile? :-P

I dunno, I didn't really get into them until a couple of years ago.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:01 am

Thanks for the heads up. I wasnt aware of this coming out, and im a big Ninnie (official new name for fans, not so tough sounding now eh?).
Will have to download it when i get home.
The 300 dollar set looked a bit much tho, I have to say!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:06 am

Fucken download screwed up. Think they would've actually bothered with a better delivery method, the mongs - it was obviously going to be big.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 am

I had that happen with the Saul Williams album to AH. Just fire them a mail, and they should send you a new activation code.
The future. Dont you just love it?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:13 am

They're having "issue" apparantly and will reset it later in the week.

/eyes Bittorrent

Grr.

I accidently deleted my Saul Williams album.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:57 pm

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080304/162842435.shtml

Holy crap. Reznor rakes in $750,000 in two days from the 'deluxe' edition alone. Personally, I think Nine Inch Nails are one of the most overrated bands of all time but will give the album a listen anyway.

Who will be next to ditch their record company, I wonder? My sources say Coldplay (once they drop a greatest hits album to get out of their deal) and it'll likely spell the end of EMI. The times they are a changin'!
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Isn't U2 already planning on going label-free?
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 pm

I wouldn't pay the $300 they are asking for.
Maui
WoWie

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 pm

Fawst wrote:Isn't U2 already planning on going label-free?

I thought there was some deal with Live Nation on the cards, similar to the $120 million mega-contract Madonna just signed. Incidentally, the director of my old company signed them to Island back in the day.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:30 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080304/162842435.shtml

Holy crap. Reznor rakes in $750,000 in two days from the 'deluxe' edition alone. Personally, I think Nine Inch Nails are one of the most overrated bands of all time but will give the album a listen anyway.

Who will be next to ditch their record company, I wonder? My sources say Coldplay (once they drop a greatest hits album to get out of their deal) and it'll likely spell the end of EMI. The times they are a changin'!

There are 2500 rabid fans with $300 to spend?

Not surprised. :)

Listening to the album, though...I mean, $5 isn't a bad price considering you get 36 songs and none of them totally suck (although some are a bit repetitive and a good chunk sound more like backing for vocals rather than songs). But $300? For what's ultimately a pretty slight album? Nah.

As for Coldplay bailing...they still have fans? Seriously, the music industry is imploding and I think this is one of the signs.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Theta wrote:Seriously, the music industry is imploding and I think this is one of the signs.

The record industry should implode. With outdated radio play models and corporates sponsors up the ass who even wants to turn on the radio anymore to hear the smae crap day after day after day.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby beastie on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:25 pm

I've listened to it a few times and I think the piano heavy songs are some of Reznor's best, but the other stuff seems kinda typical of him. Overall, I really like it and it flows together much better than something that, from the sounds of the stories, was a bit rushed would normally sound.
That being said, I'm really enjoying that Reznor along with some others have found a way of distributing music that benefits both fans and artists.
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:35 pm

Nine Inch Nails album earns $1.6 million on Web

DENVER (Billboard) - The online release of the new Nine Inch Nails album, "Ghosts I-IV," resulted in just under 800,000 transactions in its first week, totaling $1.6 million in revenue, the industrial-rock band has revealed.

The tally includes free and paid downloads, as well as advance orders for physical configurations like various limited-edition vinyl releases, CDs, and a boxed set.

"Ghosts I-IV," the band's first release since becoming a free agent last October, went on sale March 2 at its Web site, www.nin.com. Fans can receive the first nine songs from the 36-track project for free, or can pay $5 for the entire digital album.

NIN will not release traditional sales figures to SoundScan, whose data are used to compiled the Billboard 200 albums chart.

A $10 double-CD set will reach stores on April 8. A $70 deluxe edition and a $300 autographed version will ship May 1.

After Nine Inch Nails' contract with Interscope expired, the label released a remix album, "Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D." The band's last studio release, "Year Zero," debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 last April with 187,000 copies.
Maui
WoWie

Return to Music