The Official WEEZER Thread

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Favorite album?

Weezer
32%
Pinkerton
58%
Weezer
5%
Maladroit
No votes
Make Believe
No votes
Alone/any other collection of demos & rejected songs/bootlegs you may have
5%

Total votes : 19

The Official WEEZER Thread

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm

There doesn't seem to be one (or maybe there is, bloody search function...) & i've noticed a lot of Zoners enjoy their music, so here it is.

So to kick start the thread...

Over on Rivers's youtube page, he's been running Lets Write A Sawng for the last month or so.
Basically, he's writing a song with youtube users, the users are coming up with the name, lyrics, backing tracks etc.
He's doing it in steps.
Steps 1 & 2
Step 3
Step 3b
Step 4
Steps 5 & 6?

So, erm, discuss.
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:54 pm

I didn't see a Weezer thread either, i think we're safe...

Cool idea!! I wish i had some sort of artistic talent....
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Preview of the new single Pork n Beans.

Apparently asked for another song to be tacked onto the new album and for it to be more radio friendly. Pork n Beans is the result. It sounds sort of Blue album-y, but without hearing more context it seems unremarkable.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Weezer were a big part of my musical youth, but I haven't been a fan of anything post Pinkerton. Make Believe is the best thing they've put out since, but has been lost in the fold since it's release.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:48 pm

Love, love, love Weezer. I am shocked that (missing Zoner?) El Scorcho never started a thread. Regardless, one is long overdue. Seen them several times in concert, incredibly fun band!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:12 pm

What with Blue and Pinkerton being as close to my own personal perfect albums, they need a thread.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Now with poll!
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Almost voted Pinkerton, love the first two albums, and green a little, seen them play twice, will give anything Rivers Cuomo gives a listen, although I'm getting more critical I still think it's just a matter of time 'til they do something wonderful again.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:14 pm

tapehead wrote:although I'm getting more critical I still think it's just a matter of time 'til they do something wonderful again.

That's what I keep telling myself!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:16 pm

It's funny, I was just thinking, weezer was the first band I ever heard called 'emo', and I guess in a few ways they are the prototype, although the term sort of means something else now.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:23 pm

tapehead wrote:It's funny, I was just thinking, weezer was the first band I ever heard called 'emo', and I guess in a few ways they are the prototype, although the term sort of means something else now.

Man it's funny how that label has changed *sigh*. I will not ramble on the evolution of the term, however.

Hum was the first band I heard described as emo.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Sunny Day Real Estate

eta: but, once the term was coined, there was obviously some attention then paid to proto-typical "emo" acts, the acts whose sounds and motif may have influenced a nascent "emo" in it's arms, loved, nurtured, and cared for the little bastard, only to see it grow into a sullen, whiny, blame others for their misfortune cuntflapping bitch.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:09 pm

I never really got into them until the Green album, and I loved it. That got me listening to all of their stuff. I look forward to each album, but the last one was teh suk.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Vicarious on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 pm

Vegeta wrote:Love, love, love Weezer. I am shocked that (missing Zoner?) El Scorcho never started a thread. Regardless, one is long overdue. Seen them several times in concert, incredibly fun band!

I guess this is as good a place as any to confess that I am/was El Scorcho.

I haven't posted here much here in the last year or so (I think I was banned for starting pointless threads over 2 years ago), but I still love Weezer. The last two albums were missteps, but I look forward to Red.

And I don't like Ann Coulter. I have no idea where that came from.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby dablunt89 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:08 am

I always thought the first emo band was the smiths. Sure they weren't the classic high pitched whiny voiced punk rockers but they sure loved them some self pity.
It doesn't have to make sense to be intense.
dablunt89
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby dablunt89 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:11 am

huh I didn't expect Pinkerton to beat out their first album. While I love pinkerton their first one just has the hooks, the self-conscious geek appeal and the clean cut pop sounds down to a science. Pinkerton is definitley a more mature album, and across the sea is thier cutest song by far, but blue album is what always made weezer what they were (and hopefully will be again...fingers crossed!)
It doesn't have to make sense to be intense.
dablunt89
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:36 am

Where I come from isn't all that great
My automobile is a piece of crap
My fashion sense is a little whack
And my friends are just as screwy as me

This actually describes me perfectly and one of my preferred Weezer ditties.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:01 pm

dablunt89 wrote:I always thought the first emo band was the smiths. Sure they weren't the classic high pitched whiny voiced punk rockers but they sure loved them some self pity.

First emo band was probably rites of spring back when "emo" meant emtoional hardcore.

Which then flowed into Nation of Ulysses, Still Life, Clikitat Ikatowi, and many others. Then came the SDRE era of emo with Get Up Kids, Texas Is The Reason, etc... Hot Water Music, Boy Sets Fire were around the same time and were more of mix of the latent hardcore and pop sensibilities... Then Thursday hits the scene with a more goth type emo and the pop punk decide that because they whine about girls they are emo too and you get all the nu-emo that touted today.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 pm

bah, everyone knows that THEME FROM M*A*S*H was the 1st emo song.

:wink:
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:59 pm

dablunt89 wrote:huh I didn't expect Pinkerton to beat out their first album. While I love pinkerton their first one just has the hooks, the self-conscious geek appeal and the clean cut pop sounds down to a science. Pinkerton is definitley a more mature album, and across the sea is thier cutest song by far, but blue album is what always made weezer what they were (and hopefully will be again...fingers crossed!)

I flip-flop between the two, but Pinkerton just happens to be the current one I listen to a lot.

The production of Pinkerton is pretty unique, and I've not heard another album sound quite like it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
dablunt89 wrote:huh I didn't expect Pinkerton to beat out their first album. While I love pinkerton their first one just has the hooks, the self-conscious geek appeal and the clean cut pop sounds down to a science. Pinkerton is definitley a more mature album, and across the sea is thier cutest song by far, but blue album is what always made weezer what they were (and hopefully will be again...fingers crossed!)

I flip-flop between the two, but Pinkerton just happens to be the current one I listen to a lot.

The production of Pinkerton is pretty unique, and I've not heard another album sound quite like it.

The songs are a bit more experimental too, which is why it got my vote.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Agreed on all counts, I voted for blue 'cos it's never made me wince, and there's a couple weaker tracks on the later album for me, though both are great.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Pinkerton has the geeky, self-conscious thing going on too.
Particularly El Scorcho.
Not just the first verse with "god dam you 1/2 Japanese girls do it to me every time...", or the second verse with the ECW & Greenday references, but the bridge (is it the bridge? i gotta listen to the song again) with "How stupid is it, I can't talk about it, I gotta sing about it and make a record of my heart
How stupid is it, Won't you give me a minute, just come up to me and say hello..."

Lyrics like that make Pinkerton the album i relate to the most.

It's like, fuck, how more open could he have been about what's going on in his head? It's simple yet right on the point.
Getchoo too, it's straight to the point from the get go.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:18 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:but the bridge (is it the bridge? i gotta listen to the song again)

I believe it called the "middle eight".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:21 pm

I love playing Say it Aint So on Rock Band.

I once had a dream where their song "Hash Pipe" was playing the entire time in the background. I woke up and listenend to the song about 20 times in a row.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Vegeta on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, i had to go with the Blue Album. Pinkerton was a very close second, though. The other three are okay, but the first two are stellar.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
king_of_nowhere wrote:but the bridge (is it the bridge? i gotta listen to the song again)

I believe it called the "middle eight".

Thanks.

As a musician & songwriter, i should really know this shit.
:roll:
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 10, 2008 5:39 pm

New album out late June:

That's right....The Red Album.

And that new single's pretty good, very much sounding more akin to the Pinkerton style.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Sat May 10, 2008 6:04 pm

so stoked on the red album...

I hope they tour to support it
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Fried Gold wrote:New album out late June:

That's right....The Red Album.

And that new single's pretty good, very much sounding more akin to the Pinkerton style.

Loving the red! Can't wait to hear this, especially if it is similar to Pinkerton as you say the single is dude.

Rivers looks fucking scary though :shock: Brian looks like he should join Kings Of Leon :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm

I think Pork & Beans sounds more like something off the Blue album than Pinkerton myself. But I am very curious Red album now.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 12, 2008 9:34 am

Of the nine tracks I've heard so far, it is a very diverse collection of music. There are hints of sounding like Blue album and Pinkerton, but then other parts go off on a tangent towards other influences.

"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" could possibly be one of the best songs they've written.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 12, 2008 9:59 am

Cool, looking very much forward to the red album! The cover is awesome!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby tapehead on Mon May 12, 2008 10:54 pm

Fried Gold wrote:"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" could possibly be one of the best songs they've written.

It's very good, I love River's hip hop stylings and it grows to rock-opera proportions over five and a half minutes to rival the pompousity of the Beach Boys, Queen and Radiohead "If you don't like it, you can shove it! but you don't like it, you LOVE it!' - but at the same time, that 'Angel Girl / Cold Dark World' track could sink a lesser band for good, it's fucking weak.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 12, 2008 11:27 pm

Vicarious wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Love, love, love Weezer. I am shocked that (missing Zoner?) El Scorcho never started a thread. Regardless, one is long overdue. Seen them several times in concert, incredibly fun band!

I guess this is as good a place as any to confess that I am/was El Scorcho.

I haven't posted here much here in the last year or so (I think I was banned for starting pointless threads over 2 years ago), but I still love Weezer. The last two albums were missteps, but I look forward to Red.

And I don't like Ann Coulter. I have no idea where that came from.

Apparently you like Tool as well :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 13, 2008 5:11 am

tapehead wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" could possibly be one of the best songs they've written.

It's very good, I love River's hip hop stylings and it grows to rock-opera proportions over five and a half minutes to rival the pompousity of the Beach Boys, Queen and Radiohead "If you don't like it, you can shove it! but you don't like it, you LOVE it!'

It's a smorgasbord of styles and influences - rap, rock, choral, falsetto, crooning, metal - yet all tied with that main hook, which I keeps popping back into my head at the moment.

- but at the same time, that 'Angel Girl / Cold Dark World' track could sink a lesser band for good, it's fucking weak.

That song I don't mind too much, although I agree it isn't as strong. The one that bothers me is "Thought I Knew" which is really only b-side quality stuff and doesn't seem to fit.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue May 13, 2008 7:33 pm

P/F says Interscope have pushed the release date forward, so all you Weezers will be able to get this June 3rd instead of the 24th now.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed May 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Some first impressions, after 3 complete listens.

1. Troublemaker - while being similar to previous Weezer tracks, this feels like something different. I don't know why! A good pop tune, very catchy and it sits just fine in their catalogue. Thumbs up. 3/5

2. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived - erm...okay, this track threw me initially. I'm not a hip-hop fan so Rivers rockin' the mic didn't exactly thrill, but upon repeat listens, it works just fine in the context of the whole track. Gotta agree with Fried Gold on this one - could be one of the best things they've ever written. Could be. Think it would be better placed at the end of the album though, would be an awesome closing track. 4/5

3. Pork and Beans - reminds me of some of the better tracks from Maladroit. Decent rock number, very much a single. Following 'Greatest Man That...' though it feels really out of place on the record. It's not one of Weezer's best IMO but it's a fun listen. 3/5

4. Heart Songs - Weezer channeling Elliott Smith?! I like :D Some very sweet harmonies, love the lyrics and the instrumentation is just right. The opening guitar riff is reminiscent of 'Say It Ain't So', and I like the mirroring there. 4/5

5. Everybody Get Dangerous - it's a damn fine riff, but the lyrics are just too stupid for my tastes. They're not witty self referential, like 'Mo Beats' from the August 2002 Demos, they just come across as something Rivers tossed off in an afternoon. It's a shame, cos the middle eighth is lush musically. 2/5

6. Dreamin' - despite coming across as a b-side, this is a really sweet tune! Reminds me of the lighter moments on Pinkerton or something as fun and upbeat as 'Island In The Sun'. Probably one of my favourites on this album, classic Weezer sound and very memorable. 4/5

7. Thought I Knew - this sounds like something one of these popular emo bands might spin out. Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Bollocks, whatever band you want to pick. Seriously unimpressed by this one and I don't think it's a track I'd often revisit. Nice little guitar solo, but it doesn't make up for the fact this sounds like an intruder on a Weezer record. 2/5

8. Cold Dark World - a good tune, a good sound. But sadly it's pretty standard fare and doesn't sound finished IMO. Similar feeling about this as I had with 'Troublemaker' - good song, like it, but nothing special. 3/5

Overall, what I've heard so far (still missing last 2 tracks) suffers from the same problem Make Believe did - a few great songs scattered amongst mediocre material, making the overall album feel uneven. It doesn't flow as a single record with a single vibe, in the way that Pinkerton or The Green Album did so well. Will get a better feel for the thing when I have the missing tracks, but right now I'd place The Red Album in the rankings as so:

1. Pinkerton
2. Weezer (Blue Album)
3. 4.5 (August 2002 Demos)
4. Weezer (Green Album)
5. Maladroit
6. Weezer (Red Album) / Make Believe

Don't let the rankings fool you though - it's simply order of preference. Weezer have yet to make an out-and-out shite album. This is not a shite album, it's simply hampered by some mediocre tracks, just as Make Believe was.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Sat May 24, 2008 9:21 am

I fucking love these new songs. "Greatest Man That Ever Lived" straddles that line between stupid and clever like a stripper on a pole. "Heart Songs" is very poignant, and the bit about NEVERMIND actually made my eyes glisten a little bit. "Troublemaker" is a lot of fun, and "Pork And Beans" is too, although they're essentially about the same thing. All the songs I've heard so far throw off a "Don't fuck with me and my badass jams" vibe.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Vicarious on Sat May 24, 2008 2:55 pm

The Pork and Beans video is attracting quite a bit of attention on Youtube, for obvious reasons...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=muP9eH2p2PI
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat May 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Vicarious wrote:The Pork and Beans video is attracting quite a bit of attention on Youtube, for obvious reasons...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=muP9eH2p2PI

It's a funny video until you realize it will be obsolete in ohh say 14 more seconds.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby King Psyz on Sat May 24, 2008 4:42 pm

it will be a nice time capsule though...

like the buddy holly video
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Seppuku on Sat May 24, 2008 4:52 pm

I actually far prefer that Let's Write a Sawng track Cuomo wrote with the Youtubers to Pork & Beans.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat May 24, 2008 5:20 pm

King Psyz wrote:it will be a nice time capsule though...

like the buddy holly video

the buddy holly is atleast ridiculously specific and speaks to multiple generations.

This video no one will remember half the references in a couple months let alone years.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Sat May 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Yeah, it's definitely the Shrek of music videos.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Vegeta on Sat May 24, 2008 8:55 pm

But, they are totally paying tribute to Toshiro Lucas in teh video, no? What with all the light saber play.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun May 25, 2008 3:23 am

I'm enjoying the hell out of the video. I think it works so well because they aren't making fun of the YouTube people. Bonus points for lightsaber drumsticks.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri May 30, 2008 9:08 pm

After listening to the complete album now, I'm pretty convinced this is their best album to date.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri May 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Nordling wrote:After listening to the complete album now, I'm pretty convinced this is their best album to date.

Why?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Fri May 30, 2008 9:13 pm

The songcraft is the best I've heard yet. "The Angel And The One" may be the best song they ever wrote. It's beautiful, and it builds from a simple melody to something rather epic. I think the honesty that people love about PINKERTON is back. There's a lot of cock-swagger songs too, but they're definitely tongue-in-cheek and "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is just brilliantly stupid/clever.

Music is the most subjective medium there is, in my opinion. Different songs strike different emotions in people. And this album feels like coming home to me.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Music