The Official WEEZER Thread

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Favorite album?

Weezer
32%
Pinkerton
58%
Weezer
5%
Maladroit
No votes
Make Believe
No votes
Alone/any other collection of demos & rejected songs/bootlegs you may have
5%

Total votes : 19

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri May 30, 2008 9:14 pm

Nordling wrote:The songcraft is the best I've heard yet. "The Angel And The One" may be the best song they ever wrote. It's beautiful, and it builds from a simple melody to something rather epic. I think the honesty that people love about PINKERTON is back. There's a lot of cock-swagger songs too, but they're definitely tongue-in-cheek and "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is just brilliantly stupid/clever.

Music is the most subjective medium there is, in my opinion. Different songs strike different emotions in people. And this album feels like coming home to me.

Thanks dude! I prefer to know people's full opinions, that's all. Wasn't trying to be argumentative - I just love talking about stuff in depth :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Oh, no problem at all. Thanks for reading.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 pm

It is a very good album, but it is not their best to date. After an exceptional and strong start, the middle falls away with a couple of mediocre songs. (Two of the "bonus" tracks are superior songs and could have been swapped in)

It then rises out of the trough at the end with two, again, strong tracks - Automatic is a far better Cuomo-alternative to Thought I Knew, and The Angel and the One is certainly a very moving denouement.

Meladroit was my favourite of their post-hiatus albums. But this is now contending for that spot.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vicarious on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:44 pm

I can't wait to hear the album tomorrow.... I can't believe I've held off from listening. Apparently the 4 bonus tracks on the deluxe version are good, so that'll be the version I get.

If anyone would be so kind as to click on the link below, I'd be forever grateful. It's pretty shameless but I'm trying to get entered into a contest for the Weezer street team. I need like 250 clicks or something.

http://tinyurl.com/4qsebh
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:38 pm

Vicarious wrote: Apparently the 4 bonus tracks on the deluxe version are good, so that'll be the version I get.

There are actually 8 bonus tracks in total. But yeah they are good - two of them are better than some of the proper album tracks.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vicarious on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Vicarious wrote: Apparently the 4 bonus tracks on the deluxe version are good, so that'll be the version I get.

There are actually 8 bonus tracks in total. But yeah they are good - two of them are better than some of the proper album tracks.

I was referring to the originals, of which there are like 5 or 6 (4 on the American deluxe), but I am interested in hearing some of the covers they recorded.
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:29 pm

The additional deluxe songs are great, especially "Pig" and "It's Easy." Really like their "Weight" cover too.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Bonus tracks? Deluxe tracks? Where did you guys get your copy? My copy has ten tracks (like just about every other Weezer album).
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:36 pm

On iTunes there's 6 additional songs if you pre-ordered the Deluxe version. Then the British version has a cover of "The Weight." And then there's two more covers floating around somewhere, I heard.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 pm

I love "The Weight", but the original is such a perfect song, I don't know if even Weezer can do it justice.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm

It's practically note for note. Just a little bit faster.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Just got the record. Good stuff. One listen thus far. The bonus tracks I, uh, found were "Miss Sweeney," "Pig," "The Spider," and "King."
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Bonus tracks:

US Deluxe - "Miss Sweeney", "Pig", "The Spider", "King"

iTunes Bonus - "It's Easy", "I Can Love"

UK Bonus - "The Weight", "Life's What You Make It" + one other.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:08 pm

I'll have to hunt down those UK songs. I'm a completist.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 pm

We sadly won't get them for a another week or two, as the UK release date is 16th June. It's not even on iTunes here yet.

I think there may also be some Japan-release bonus tracks to add to that now. I guess they'll all end up being b-sides (if b-sides exist anymore).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby hackett on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:25 pm

i love the pork and beans internet love music video ...

hopefully some of the classic weezer music video directors...Jonze and Marcos will be able to come back and do some more work
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:06 pm

I actually haven't seen the video yet. I kinda don't want to spoil the song with imagery.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Nordling wrote:I actually haven't seen the video yet. I kinda don't want to spoil the song with imagery.

It's not a bad video, but I know what you mean. If one thought the Happy Days video took something away from Buddy Holly, then one might not go for this.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Nordling wrote:I actually haven't seen the video yet. I kinda don't want to spoil the song with imagery.

It's not a bad video, but I know what you mean. If one thought the Happy Days video took something away from Buddy Holly, then one might not go for this.

Its a funny video in and of itself. The unfortunate thing is that most of the jokes will be old in 6 months max which is fine for a youtube vid. Hell it's even a long life for a youtube vid. For a music video however it leaves a lot to be desired.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:24 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Its a funny video in and of itself. The unfortunate thing is that most of the jokes will be old in 6 months max which is fine for a youtube vid. Hell it's even a long life for a youtube vid. For a music video however it leaves a lot to be desired.

True. Although having said that, how many people beyond a certain age would understand the Happy Days reference of the Buddy Holly video. Or even the Muppets of Keep Fishin'?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

True. Although having said that, how many people beyond a certain age would understand the Happy Days reference of the Buddy Holly video. Or even the Muppets of Keep Fishin'?

That speaks more to a generation. youtube and internet jokes go by so fast though that what is funny now will be overplayed too quickly. The Happy Days and Kermit have a timeless quality to them that is sadly missing from any original content on youtube.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:31 pm

I haven't seen "Keep Fishin'" either. I'm not a big fan of videos in general.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:31 pm

It is a generational thing.

But I think "Youtube" as a whole will likely stick in the annals of popular culture, even if its individual video phenomena do not.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It is a generational thing.

But I think "Youtube" as a whole will likely stick in the annals of popular culture, even if its individual video phenomena do not.

Thats probably true.

It's just with all the referencing of specific internet phenoms, it seems like even if youtube sticks around the video wont be as funny without knowing the reference points.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Yeah, I guess one could take it like a snapshot - "Youtube (2005-2008)" - and perhaps the references will live on a little more because of the music video.

...it must've been dirt cheap to make (unless those Youtube "celebrities" have agents now).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Yeah, I guess one could take it like a snapshot - "Youtube (2005-2008)" - and perhaps the references will live on a little more because of the music video.

...it must've been dirt cheap to make (unless those Youtube "celebrities" have agents now).

Hahaha true on both accounts.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Been listening to this all morning - River is sharing the vocal duties a lot more than on any previous albums, and if these guys can go close to approximating the harmonies live it will really something special.

Co- produced n Jacknife Lee and Rick Rubin, wow.

Lots of hip hop and R&B elements to the songwriting, which is interesting...

Pitchfork give it a paltry 4.7

I don't much like the nostalgic bent of a lot of the lyrics, but I don't think it's that bad - a little schmaltzy and over blown at times...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby hackett on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:10 pm

its sort of funny, because music videos used to come from the artists' pockets to make (since there wasn't really any money to be made out of them and labels would usually want to control the creative concept of making them ) and now with youtube artists can actually tag on advertising onto the videos and make money.

Hash Pipe was probably my favorite Weezer video. Buddy Holly doesn't really match the song, but it was an excellent piece of cinema for its time.

The only music video , in my mind, that really matched everything in my head was the Fatboy Slim video for Weapon Of Choice (starring the great Max Shrek err Christopher Walken) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs

Others in mind are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3M_kxb85Y

and Beastie Boys Sabotage (dir by Jonze)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbqIyeed4g
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Giving overly pretentious reviews, unnecessarily low scores and unfair comparisons is something that Pitchfork is renowned for... They tend not to review the album itself, just mutter on about what the band/artist is doing wrong in their opinion. (which would be fine it were a forum or messageboard, but they're actually supposedly paid critics...)

hackett wrote:Buddy Holly doesn't really match the song

With it's references to 50s americana and high school romance, it really kinda does match.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:31 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

With it's references to 50s americana and high school romance, it really kinda does match.

Spike Jonze's videos for Weezer are all classics of the medium - always loved the one-shot video for 'The Sweater Song' as well.

Fried Gold wrote:

Giving overly pretentious reviews, unnecessarily low scores and unfair comparisons is something that Pitchfork is renowned for... They tend not to review the album itself, just mutter on about what the band/artist is doing wrong in their opinion. (which would be fine it were a forum or messageboard, but they're actually supposedly paid critics...)

It's worth noting they gave Make Believe a 0.4 - which was just slightly low...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:34 pm

Unrelated to the new album...some of you may be interested in this

http://www.kyles-sftbh.dikgames.co.uk

This guy has attempted to mix the available Black Hole songs together in a segued style that the possible album was use.

(although slightly non-legal, I figure anyone interested in it already has the songs anyway)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Wasn't there an Onion article about how Pitchfork gave music in general a 6.4 or something like that?
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Nordling wrote:Wasn't there an Onion article about how Pitchfork gave music in general a 6.4 or something like that?

Yeah right here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby hackett on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:12 pm

tapehead]
[quote="hackett wrote:
Buddy Holly doesn't really match the song

With it's references to 50s americana and high school romance, it really kinda does match.[/quote]

Spike Jonze's videos for Weezer are all classics of the medium - always loved the one-shot video for 'The Sweater Song' as well.
[/quote]

This was sort of my response to an earlier comment. By that i meant that it doesn't really embrace the dark undertone of the story of a bunch of punks messing out with a guys girl because they are different.
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:17 pm

hackett wrote:
tapehead wrote:
Fr ied Gold wrote:

This was sort of my response to an earlier comment. By that i meant that it doesn't really embrace the dark undertone of the story of a bunch of punks messing out with a guys girl because they are different.

That's pretty much the story of every Happy Days episode...just with The Fonz stepping in to stop any trouble.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Those iTunes bonus tracks aren't just throwaway songs. They don't match the album's aesthetic but damn if they're not great songs on their own.

"Miss Sweeney" and "Pig" are just fantastic, and it's cool that Rivers is letting the other band members contribute their songs, because "King" is pretty damn terrific too.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Vicarious on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:49 am

Love this album. It's easily my third favorite of theirs. It's a shame Miss Sweeney didn't make the record. Pig is nice but the acoustic demo that leaked 2 years ago was better... more intimate. I'm probably in the minority in that I'm enjoying the hell out of the other members' contributions. "Red" is just a blast to listen to and they clearly had a similar experience in making it.
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: The Official(?) WEEZER Thread

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Californian Zoners represent....

TROUBLEMAKER VIDEO SHOOT! In the spirit of the recent Hootenannys, yet going far FAR beyond that at the same time (you'll see...heh heh), is the upcoming video shoot for "Troublemaker". This is taking place in L.A., and Weezer needs you! (and you.... and you.... a LOT of you!) for this shoot. The MAIN requirements are:

* You must be available on August 21st in the Los Angeles Area

* email weezervideo@gmail.com ...NOW.

If/when you get approved, you'll learn more details, like what to wear, what to bring times, places, etc. Hope to see you there!!!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:11 am

Fried Gold wrote:New album out late June:

That's right....The Red Album.

And that new single's pretty good, very much sounding more akin to the Pinkerton style.

And little more than a year later, the announcement of another new album... RADITUDE... sounds awesome, right?
more here, music nerds...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: Re:

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:27 pm

tapehead wrote:
And little more than a year later, the announcement of another new album... RADITUDE... sounds awesome, right?
more here, music nerds...

And the first single is streaming here.

(Apparently Walmart leaked it into the Intertubes, by streaming on their music download site before they were supposed to, forcing Geffen to bump up the release date. I'm guessing the RIAA won't be persuing Walmart for copyright infringment etc...)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 am

Maybe the bus crash did something to him...I heard the new lead single today and wasn't that impressed. Hopefully not a sign for the whole album.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:28 pm

Check out Weezer's new album title and cover . . .

http://www.spinner.com/2010/08/09/weeze ... bum-cover/
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:08 am

2010 in review:

- Hurley was a rubs album.

- Death to False Metal, a collection of tracks from the past few years that were deemed not good enough for albums use, is rather good.

- A 36-track deluxe edition of Pinkerton is out next month. Awesome.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Music