Prog-rock, Krautrock, Art-Rock, Post-Rock & Friends

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Prog-rock is....

...elitist music made by art-school drop-outs that almost brought the music industry into a total dead-end (until some other art-school drop-outs turned it around again)
11%
...brilliant music that pushed boundaries, merged genres and put up a big middle finger to time signatures everywhere
78%
Kong-rock?
11%

Total votes : 9

Prog-rock, Krautrock, Art-Rock, Post-Rock & Friends

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 23, 2008 11:59 pm

SPLIT FROM THE "WRITE THE FIRST LYRIC THAT COMES INTO YOUR HEAD" THREAD

Lester bangs flat-out detested it! In this article, he referred to prog-rock as "[rock music] cannibalising its own past." But then again, he thought trashy '60s garage rockers Count Five were the best band EVAR, so what does he know?

I can dig his point, and I'd probably have taken his side 35 years back, but with a few decades' distance, some of this music sounds remarkably well-preserved. Listening to a few CD reissues, you notice that even their demos sound better (or more?) produced than most bands' output.

I'm almost inclined to believe that one of the reasons why folks like Bangs reviled it so much was because it was so damned popular. Some of these bands messed with music's conventions like it was their own personal plaything...bland is not the word I'd use to describe them.

Henry Cow, Can, Soft Machine, Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Faust, King Crimson...the only thing linking these bands was a desire to take music somewhere it hadn't already been. Were they kind of po-faced and earnest about it? Yeah, some of them. But fuck it, if the music holds up, then just get over yourself and enjoy it.

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

The Vicar wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
The Vicar wrote:If anyone recognizes the author of this ( below in wee print )
I will be surpreezed.
Peter Hammill, ex-Van Der Graff Generator front man

I'm a pretty big VDGG fan, as well as a fan of some his solo stuff (Over makes me want to never get married. And This Side of the Looking Glass, which you quoted, has to be one of the most touching songs ever written).

Apparently, Johnny Rotten was also into them as well.

You ask me, their best album is The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome, because of the excellence of the two tracks Lizard Play and Cats Eye/Yellow Fever. Most of their stuff is pretty great, though.

EDIT: Here's a magisterial live rendition of This Side of The Looking Glass. It's pretty awful quality, but if I were in the audience that day, I'd dehydrate myself from bawling so much. What a singer! He has the kind of voice that you could imagine getting a little grating after a while, but, when applied to the right material, it's perfect!

Finally caught up to a copy of this.
I hear what you admire.
Much more like one of Peter's solo efforts than the old organ and sax VDGG assault..
The remastered version is tasty.
As is the 2005 remaster of Pawnhearts, with the song Theme One ( on the original wax pressing, but not on the CD or tape ) returned. Pawnhearts was supposed to be a two disc offering, but the good folks at Charisma Records panicked. There are four other numbers that I'd never heard also tagging along, which would have been disc two.

I was able to download the album ( Quiet Zone) from Walmart.
Walmart.

Didn't see that one coming....

Didn't catch this- or your first reply- first time round, so sorry for the late reply.

Man it's awesome seeing another Van Der Graaf Generator fan on The Zone. We're a pretty rare breed these days. I remember another Zoner, Driller Killer, mentioning them at one point, but who knows what happened to him? :P

I think Quiet Zone is best appreciated if you think of it as a Van Der Graaf Generator side-project. They'd dropped the Generator from their name at that point, and they sounded nothing like they did in the early '70s. Being as it was the first album of theirs I heard, however, I didn't have any pre-expectations to get over, so I just took it for what it is. I guess Peter Hammil's more reigned in here (the longest song on here is only 6 minutes!), but still, I don't think VDGG ever sounded so damn...gymnastic as they did here. Maybe it's got something to do with the addition of the awesome violinist, Graham Smith, who went on to leave his mark on Over as well. Or maybe it's because Hammil was trying to presage punk...in his own unique kind of way.

By the way, what do you think about starting a Prog thread? I know it'd probably end up being just you and minstrel scatting back and forth (and occasionally me), but we've already got a Jazz thread, a Soul thread and a Math Rock thread, so I don't see why it would hurt. I've been listening to this terrifying chamber rock band from Belgium called Univers Zero, and it'd be cool to have somewhere to sing their praises.
Last edited by Seppuku on Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Wed May 28, 2008 9:54 pm

Seppuku wrote:Didn't catch this- or your first reply- first time round, so sorry for the late reply.

Man it's awesome seeing another Van Der Graaf Generator fan on The Zone. We're a pretty rare breed these days. I remember another Zoner, Driller Killer, mentioning them at one point, but who knows what happened to him? :P

I think Quiet Zone is best appreciated if you think of it as a Van Der Graaf Generator side-project. They'd dropped the Generator from their name at that point, and they sounded nothing like they did in the early '70s. Being as it was the first album of theirs I heard, however, I didn't have any pre-expectations to get over, so I just took it for what it is. I guess Peter Hammil's more reigned in here (the longest song on here is only 6 minutes!), but still, I don't think VDGG ever sounded so damn...gymnastic as they did here. Maybe it's got something to do with the addition of the awesome violinist, Graham Smith, who went on to leave his mark on Over as well. Or maybe it's because Hammil was trying to presage punk...in his own unique kind of way.

By the way, what do you think about starting a Prog thread? I know it'd probably end up being just you and minstrel scatting back and forth (and occasionally me), but we've already got a Jazz thread, a Soul thread and a Math Rock thread, so I don't see why it would hurt. I've been listening to this terrifying chamber rock band from Belgium called Univers Zero, and it'd be cool to have somewhere to sing their praises.

I have more Peter Hammill solo bits than I have VDGG. Songs like What's It Worth? or Vision or pretty much all of Over just hook me in. I remember Mr. Smith's contributions on Over. I wish Bob Fripp had used Smith instead of David "Can't Play His Instrument" Cross on Lark's Tongue in Aspec and Starless & Bible Black.

I recall Driller Killer - had some very nice conversations with the man. He'd have been in a Prog Thread in a heartbeat. Convinced me that Selling England by the Pound is the ultimate Genesis album.

"terrifying chamber rock band from Belgium"?
This I have GOT to hear...
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Seppuku on Wed May 28, 2008 11:57 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Seppuku wrote:Didn't catch this- or your first reply- first time round, so sorry for the late reply.

I have more Peter Hammill solo bits than I have VDGG. Songs like What's It Worth? or Vision or pretty much all of Over just hook me in. I remember Mr. Smith's contributions on Over. I wish Bob Fripp had used Smith instead of David "Can't Play His Instrument" Cross on Lark's Tongue in Aspec and Starless & Bible Black.

I recall Driller Killer - had some very nice conversations with the man. He'd have been in a Prog Thread in a heartbeat. Convinced me that Selling England by the Pound is the ultimate Genesis album.

"terrifying chamber rock band from Belgium"?
This I have GOT to hear...

I don't care if it gets no posts, I'm going to start it all the same. I mean some douchebot started a thread for "DVD MENUS" of all things, so I think we can afford one on the most popular musical style of the early-to-mid '70s.

I'm off for half an hour, so I'll do some splitting when I get back.

By the way, if you want me to rip a Univers Zero track for you, just drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll make it happen. Make sure it's no later than 6pm when you listen to it though...I don't want to be responsible for anything untoward happening to one of my favourite Zoners.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Thu May 29, 2008 8:15 am

I became a Krautrock mega-fan after listening to Can's "Future Days". It just blew my mind with its musical blends contained within, it has the vibe of house and trance, blending dance and rock delicately, and all this was back in the 70's. Primal scream's "Screamadelica" was the only album I had listened to prior to this with anything like the same feel. Ultimately it started my journey into discovering other strange and maligned bands from dark forests, swamps and deserts, the likes of Kraftwerk, La Dusseldorf and Sand. Records that all rawk or vibe in very unique ways. I now know why I loved the soundtrack to the PC game "Diablo".
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu May 29, 2008 8:19 am

I can take some Kraftwerk, Neu! type stuff. Prog Rock: Not really a fan. Glam rock: I like 70s Bowie, T Rex, The Sweet. Overall those three genres arent my faves. Im more into Rockabilly, 60s Garage Rock, 70s Funk, 80s New Wave.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 29, 2008 8:26 am

What about post-rock Seppuku? It's pretty much derived from all this stuff ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 am

Prog Rock?

Yes please. Get it? See what I did there? Because Yes is a band and an answer and... OK, I'll leave :oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 am

If we are talking prog rock. Porcupine Tree. Specifically Voyage 34: The Complete Trip.

Truly an amazing album in it's entirety
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu May 29, 2008 8:46 am

Id rather listen to The Clash!! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu May 29, 2008 9:04 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:What about post-rock Seppuku? It's pretty much derived from all this stuff ;)

Too true. This for example, sounds like Dark Side of the Moon remixed by knob-twiddling acid-heads (definitely a positive, in my book):

Coheed_and_Cambria wrote:If we are talking prog rock. Porcupine Tree. Specifically Voyage 34: The Complete Trip.

Truly an amazing album in it's entirety

Also, I'll give a shout out to Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, A True Star! If you imagine Stevie Wonder joined Yes, this is what that album sounds like.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 am

Post-rock started with Slint's Spiderland, which is a landmark album for sure.

Tortoise's - Millions Now Living Will Never Die is the album that got me into the scene, however.

Yesterday, I was listening to Balmorhea's - Rivers Arm and was really taken into it's folk/classical infused postrock. Not since Instrumental Quarter had I heard folk implemented so well in a post-rock context. You can hear two tracks here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 29, 2008 11:58 am

I am so writing all this shit down....

The Wizard/True Star album is a marvel, especially when you consider that Todd played damned near every instrument himself. ( He did have help in some places, like horns and Rick Derringer on some gtr bits ) Love The Zen Archer song.
You Don't Have to Camp Around is a hoot and sadly over too soon.

"Don't you ever think of anything but sex?"

A must have for Prog Rock fans.

1. "International Feel" – 2:50
2. "Never Never Land" (Betty Comden, Adolph Green, Jule Styne) – 1:34
3. "Tic Tic Tic, It Wears Off" – 1:14
4. "You Need Your Head" – 1:02
5. "Rock & Roll Pussy" – 1:08
6. "Dogfight Giggle" – 1:05
7. "You Don't Have to Camp Around" – 1:03
8. "Flamingo" – 2:34
9. "Zen Archer" – 5:35
10. "Just Another Onionhead/DAda Dali" – 2:23
11. "When the Shit Hits the Fan/Sunset Blvd." – 4:02
12. "Le Feel Internacìonále" – 1:51

[edit] Side two

1. "Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel" – 4:16
2. "Does Anybody Love You?" – 1:31
3. "Medley: I'm So Proud / Ooh Baby Baby / La La Means I Love You / Cool Jerk" (Curtis Mayfield, Al Cleveland, William "Smokey" Robinson Renaldo "Obie" Benson, William Hart, Thom Bell, Donald Storball) – 10:34
4. "Hungry for Love" – 2:18
5. "I Don't Want to Tie You Down" – 1:56
6. "Is It My Name?" – 4:01
7. "Just One Victory" –4:59

Just another Onionhead. Frakking hilarious...

Lyrics for You Don't Have to Camp Around.
Daddy don't like it but Mommy still wonders, Sweet Boy
But you're allowed to try it and I point no fingers
Sweet Boy, but I'm still wonderin' what it means, boy
You hold your wrist so limply
You don't have to camp around

Save all your money, go confess on Sunday, Sweet Boy
And you get your copy of "Honey,"
back on the street by Monday
Sweet Boy, but tell me where does that leave me, boy
Save the satin undies, don't pluck out your eyebrows
Stow the mincey lisping, you don't have to camp around
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Seppuku wrote:By the way, if you want me to rip a Univers Zero track for you, just drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll make it happen. Make sure it's no later than 6pm when you listen to it though...I don't want to be responsible for anything untoward happening to one of my favourite Zoners.

The offer is highly appreciated, but it won't be necessary.
CDUniverse has several UZ tracks available.

OMG.
OMFG.
Listened to some sample tracks off 1313,
and right now I'm hearing Persage from the Uzed cd.
Now Celesta is on.
I'm getting these.
Talk about guys who just said "fuck musical boundaries. Music shouldn't have any....".
So they took their instruments and smashed down the wall with them.

I only have one question - which CD should I get first?

UZ is like some insane collision of Harrison Birtwistle, The Kronos String Quartet and a few fevered nightmares.

"You like it now, but you'll learn to love it later...."

And no worries, Sepp - if I didn't open my wrists in 1977 listening to This Side of the Looking Glass, I never will.
The Vicar

Postby Seppuku on Thu May 29, 2008 8:31 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Seppuku wrote:By the way, if you want me to rip a Univers Zero track for you, just drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll make it happen. Make sure it's no later than 6pm when you listen to it though...I don't want to be responsible for anything untoward happening to one of my favourite Zoners.

The offer is highly appreciated, but it won't be necessary.
CDUniverse has several UZ tracks available.

OMG.
OMFG.
Listened to some sample tracks off 1313,
and right now I'm hearing Persage from the Uzed cd.
Now Celesta is on.
I'm getting these.
Talk about guys who just said "fuck musical boundaries. Music shouldn't have any....".
So they took their instruments and smashed down the wall with them.

I only have one question - which CD should I get first?

UZ is like some insane collision of Harrison Birtwistle, The Kronos String Quartet and a few fevered nightmares.

"You like it now, but you'll learn to love it later...."

I was three minutes into hearing my first UZ song online when I had the exact same reaction:"I'm getting these!"

I own 1313, Heresie and Ceux du Dehors, and all three come with the Seppu Seal of Approval. If you want UZ at their most extreme, kneeding your nerves until they snap altogether, Heresie is the place to go. If you thought those 1313 sample tracks were intense, just wait until you listen to Jack the Ripper! Ceux du Dehors and Uzed sound less medieval (emphasis on the evil!) and more modern. I'll leave you to decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Me, I'd just take the plunge and start off with Heresie. It's just three tracks, but they're so damned sinister you can't help but question the mental health of the musicians who made them.

I think you'll quite like 1313 too (if like is even the word).

The Vicar wrote:And no worries, Sepp - if I didn't open my wrists in 1977 listening to This Side of the Looking Glass, I never will.

I put in an order a couple of days ago for VDGG's newest album, Trisector, which they released a few weeks ago. I'll make sure to let you know if Hammill's still got it when it gets here!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Already ordered Heresie and awaiting your verdict on the new VDGG.
At last ... some new tunes.
The Vicar

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 am

SO, on Sunday, I attended what is to be hopefully a yearly event.

Progressive Nation 2008.
The bands on this years card were, Three, Between The Buried and Me, Opeth, and Dream Theater.

I had an amazing time. All the bands were amazing. I had seen Three, many years prior, and if anyone does not know of this band, please, do yourself a favor and check them out. Best to check out, The End Is Begun(2007), or Wake Pig(2005 re-issue).

Between the Buried and Me and Opeth were great, the only thing I can't get past is the growling as singing. The instruments were great, but to me, growling is no substitute for a true harmony.

Dream Theater was on point. This is one band i've waited years to see. YEARS. And they did not disappoint. Not one bit.

On top of all this, the bands were pranking each other ALL night. Golf balls and paper balls being thrown, people in masks wandering on stage while performing...every band got silly stringed at the end.

I'm looking forward to seeing a show of this magnitiude every year.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:46 am

That sounds terrific.
Wish I could have seen it.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:17 pm

It arrived in the post today - Heresie.
Attached was a wee advert with this information:

"Widley recognized as perhaps the darkest, most sinister
album ever recorded, Heresie is a passionate, expressive,
purposeful and important album".

Oh boy.
Oh ^%$ boy.

Waiting for Jillian to go to bed before I turn this one loose.

In the event I don't survive the experience, I bequeath my post count to Lecko.

“If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.â€
The Vicar

Re: Prog-rock, Kwautwock, Glam-Rock & Friends

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:37 pm

Univers Zero is intense.
It lurks. It pounces. It builds a sense of dread.
Sometimes all at the same time.
Yowsa.
Do not fall to sleep wearing your headphones whist listening to this.
But do listen.
If you're made of stern enough stuff.
Thanks Sepp.

On an unrelated note, anyone out there a supporter of Spock's Beard?
I've been tempted to dig into these guys,
but would like the best possible starting point 'cause I'm old and lazy.
I understand the band is separated into two incarnation, basically:
before and after a key band member left.
Which is better?
The Vicar

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:50 am

You have piqued my curiosity with this talk of Univers Zero. I should know sometime tomorrow what all the fuss is about.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:You have piqued my curiosity with this talk of Univers Zero. I should know sometime tomorrow what all the fuss is about.

You can hear some samples here:

http://www.univers-zero.com/disc.htm

or, better still,

http://www.borders.com/online/store/Tit ... 5775002927

The CD that I heard was Heresie, which includes the cut Jack the Ripper.
I'll be vouching for the others after I get a couple more.
( Heresie is consistently labeled "one of the darkest albums ever recorded". )

Heresie makes an excellant starting point.
I wish Sepp was around - this is all his fault anyway..... :wink:
The Vicar

Split from Post-Punk, New Wave, No Wave & Friends!

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:23 pm

@Sepp

Picked up Van Der Graff Generator's The Live Broadcasts DVD.
Recorded September 27th, 1975 in Charleoi.
Banton, Evans, Jackson and Hammill.

Songs include:
Whatever Would Robert Have Said?
Darkness
Theme One
A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers ( a personal favorite)
and the entirety of the Godbluff LP.

Tres cool. A nice add to my prog rock video collection.

And I've been pimping Univers Zero to the people I know who'd be receptive.
I wrote maybe 50% of my screen play with Jack the Ripper looping in Windows Media Player.
Thanks.
The Vicar

Re: Post-Punk, New Wave, No Wave & Friends!

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:55 pm

The Vicar wrote:Welcome to da Zone, Code Name.
If this thread has your attention, then you are indeed most welcome here.

@Sepp

Picked up Van Der Graff Generator's The Live Broadcasts DVD.
Recorded September 27th, 1975 in Charleoi.
Banton, Evans, Jackson and Hammill.

Songs include:
Whatever Would Robert Have Said?
Darkness
Theme One
A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers ( a personal favorite)
and the entirety of the Godbluff LP.

Tres cool. A nice add to my prog rock video collection.

And I've been pimping Univers Zero to the people I know who'd be receptive.
I wrote maybe 50% of my screen play with Jack the Ripper looping in Windows Media Player.
Thanks.

I've been listening to Pawnhearts and Godbluff almost on repeat lately. They've now bumped Quiet Zone to take the No.1 & 2 spots as my fave VDG LPs (What can I say? I'm a fickle guy). They really went out on a limb with Lighthouse Keepers, didn't they? Even for the early '70s... And all that multi-track, studio-fiddling paid off wonders! They could have cut every track other than that and Pawnhearts would still be a classic (it's longer than most albums are to begin with).

And Godbluff is a great way of (kinda) coming back down to the Scorched Earth again after Pawnhearts.

That DVD sounds classic. I'm amazed at how these prog bands managed to hold everything together live. And from the live prog performances I've seen, they did! I guess we're lucky these guys devoted their smarts to the music industry, not weapon manufacturing or something. I'll make sure to put the DVD on my Christmas list.

As far as Univers Zero goes, I can't even remember how I stumbled across them (or they stumbled across me), but I was pretty amazed to find that they're part of a whole GENRE of equally crazy (but normally slightly sunnier) bands! (Faves: Slapp Happy, Lars Hollmer, Art Bears, Samla Mammas Mana and John Zorn's Masada).

I'm glad you liked Univers Zero. After I heavy-pimped them and you said you were ordering their CD, I got a little doubtful...but it's nice to know that you've found others to unleash them onto as well. Like a chain letter of gloominess... Soon the whole world will be shivering in the corner of their bedrooms while Belgium chamber rock plays in the background!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re:

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:34 pm

magicmonkey wrote:I became a Krautrock mega-fan after listening to Can's "Future Days". It just blew my mind with its musical blends contained within, it has the vibe of house and trance, blending dance and rock delicately, and all this was back in the 70's. Primal scream's "Screamadelica" was the only album I had listened to prior to this with anything like the same feel. Ultimately it started my journey into discovering other strange and maligned bands from dark forests, swamps and deserts, the likes of Kraftwerk, La Dusseldorf and Sand. Records that all rawk or vibe in very unique ways. I now know why I loved the soundtrack to the PC game "Diablo".

One last thing. I picked up Sand's Golem album after magicmonkey's shout-out a few months ago and it was pathetic! I can't believe you'd recommend such a pointless waste of viny---- Heh heh, no, I actually really loved it. It's probably in my top 5 Krautrock albums now! (I still prefer the term kosmische musik to Krautrock) This had to have been a massive influence on the spacey anti-folk of Seven Organs of Admittance. I'd gabble on and on about it, but Julian Cope's normally better at that than I am.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Re:

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:42 am

Seppuku wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I became a Krautrock mega-fan after listening to Can's "Future Days". It just blew my mind with its musical blends contained within, it has the vibe of house and trance, blending dance and rock delicately, and all this was back in the 70's. Primal scream's "Screamadelica" was the only album I had listened to prior to this with anything like the same feel. Ultimately it started my journey into discovering other strange and maligned bands from dark forests, swamps and deserts, the likes of Kraftwerk, La Dusseldorf and Sand. Records that all rawk or vibe in very unique ways. I now know why I loved the soundtrack to the PC game "Diablo".

One last thing. I picked up Sand's Golem album after magicmonkey's shout-out a few months ago and it was pathetic! I can't believe you'd recommend such a pointless waste of viny---- Heh heh, no, I actually really loved it. It's probably in my top 5 Krautrock albums now! (I still prefer the term kosmische musik to Krautrock) This had to have been a massive influence on the spacey anti-folk of Seven Organs of Admittance. I'd gabble on and on about it, but Julian Cope's normally better at that than I am.

It's a beautiful album, where did you find it on Vinyl? I've got the Ultrasonic Seraphim release, and altho it features more "weird yokel accents(!!)" it really does have some intriguingly worthwhile stuff on it (Burning House) along with more middling and questionable worzels accented material that I still really really enjoy... I kinda imagined I was being sung to by that guy from Timeteam who'd become some kind of pub bore/junior school teacher... odd. However, just to have "Sarah" is enough. There's even a Door-sy style "The End" in the form of "Desert Storm". Oh yeah, and an even more disconcerting version of "Old Loggerhead"!! :shock:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: Re:

Postby Seppuku on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:46 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Seppuku wrote:

It's a beautiful album, where did you find it on Vinyl? I've got the Ultrasonic Seraphim release, and altho it features more "weird yokel accents(!!)" it really does have some intriguingly worthwhile stuff on it (Burning House) along with more middling and questionable worzels accented material that I still really really enjoy... I kinda imagined I was being sung to by that guy from Timeteam who'd become some kind of pub bore/junior school teacher... odd. However, just to have "Sarah" is enough. There's even a Door-sy style "The End" in the form of "Desert Storm". Oh yeah, and an even more disconcerting version of "Old Loggerhead"!! :shock:

Um, I only said vinyl because I forgot what CDs were made of (some kind of plastic...) :oops: . Even J Cope who wrote the book on Krautrock (literally) couldn't get his hands on a vinyl copy, so I had no chance. But I'm kinda glad, even though I think I might just hate the "alternate version" phenomenon- why would I want to listen to a song I just heard 10 minutes before? Even if the other version comes with more cowbell- these outtakes are pretty awesome. They completely fuck with the vibe of the album proper, but they're better than dead space, right? I really love the Johannes Vester solo tracks... It's like he tried to make a reg'lar early '70s MOR singer-songwriter kinda deal, but completely misinterpreted what made those guys tick. Instead we get a sort of fried Kraut Pogues deal. And the Vulture/Desert Storm/Power Station tracks I could listen to on repeat. Chances are they're mostly just Klaus Schulze poncing about in the studio, and Sand had almost nothing to do with them, but if I couldn't stomach studio-blippery, I wouldn't be a Kraut fan.

The album proper, though...Ye Gods! The space between the notes...the pigeon English poetry that's GAINED IN TRANSLATION, if anything (like most'a Amon Duul's lyrics during their later song-orientated phase)... A thousand salaams for introducing them to me, MM! It's one of those cases where I almost wish I hadn't heard them to begin with, because there's nowhere else to go after this to find something with the same vibe. Sure, there are other Kraut bands that almost get there (German Oak, Ash Ra Tempel, Holderlin Traum), but it's just not the same! :?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Prog-rock, Krautrock, Art-Rock, Post-Rock & Friends

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:09 am

Just received my remastered editions of King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King,
and Red. Oi does Starless sound sweet. I'm listening to it now.
The Vicar

Postby Seppuku on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Wonderful BBC4 Documentary on the prog rock boom, with interviews with members of King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Arthur Brown, Robert Wyatt etc. I'll admit, I can't stand most of the prog-rock poster boys like Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer, but it's still quite a story. They were generally pretty self-effacing, and guys like Robert Wyatt and Arthur Brown are some of my musical heroes, so it was fabulous hearing from them.

Prog Britannia. Check it out- probably the best documentary on the movement ever made.

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:56 pm

That was absolutely brilliant. Endless thanks for the link, Sepp. Priceless stuff.
The Vicar

Postby so sorry on Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 pm

The Vicar wrote:That was absolutely brilliant. Endless thanks for the link, Sepp. Priceless stuff.

I recently watched all these too. Awesome stuff. I have a soft spot for ELP and Yes, so this was fun to watch.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Music