The MixWit Topic

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The MixWit Topic

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 pm

I just found this site the other day and I thought it would be a cool thing to share with the Zone. Ive made a few mix tapes already. Maybe we can get everyone doing these and we can listen to each others tapes. Do special AICN theme mixes etc. Its fun to do. The only negative is you cant upload your own music directly to the site to use, but you can link to other mp3 file hosts. Hopefully that will be an option soon.

My current mixes:

New Wave Mix
Punk Rock Mix
Exploitation Movie Music Mix
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The MixWit Topic

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:39 pm

some good stuff there Wins, like the Garage Rock Classics and title of the Punk one listed above..."Songs To Vandalize To".

this kinda goes to both you and Tapehead, I don't know whether you've heard the album or not, or whether either of you have an emusic account, but the great Kurtis Mantronik produced an album by the kinda slept on Just-Ice circa 1986 called Back to the Old School*. I only came up on it when some blog did a 50 Incredible Rap Songs rundown about a year or so ago, posted that track, and then I tracked down the full length at emusic.

here's the lead track, "Cold Gettin' Dumb", which is a damn good indicator of the rest of the album. Proves beyond a doubt that the cowbell is timeless, and that Kurtis was light years ahead of his time.

*the title of which I find mighty intriguing, as it was only '86, and already, hip-hop heads were bemoaning the death of the old school! Which goes to show, I think, that in the hip-hop genre, a form of music that is distinctly of the now, that the term "old school" itself only means about 10 years; while that may well prove that hip-hop is a disposable genre, this album, to me at least, is pretty darn timeless.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks for the reply KC. Any track called Gettin Cold Dumb has got to be good haha. (DLing it right now) Ive been blog hunting alot looking for old movie scores/hip hop albums/instrumentals etc. Theres a million things to listen to so Ive just been grabbing things here and there that catch my interest. One of my latest finds is a DJ named Paul Nice. He remixes movie scores and music by funk/soul artists. Really cool stuff.

Getting Cold dumb = rockin track! Theres def some heavy cowbell use in this! Bruce Dickinson would love it! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:50 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:some good stuff there Wins, like the Garage Rock Classics and title of the Punk one listed above..."Songs To Vandalize To".

this kinda goes to both you and Tapehead, I don't know whether you've heard the album or not, or whether either of you have an emusic account, but the great Kurtis Mantronik produced an album by the kinda slept on Just-Ice circa 1986 called Back to the Old School*. I only came up on it when some blog did a 50 Incredible Rap Songs rundown about a year or so ago, posted that track, and then I tracked down the full length at emusic.

here's the lead track, "Cold Gettin' Dumb", which is a damn good indicator of the rest of the album. Proves beyond a doubt that the cowbell is timeless, and that Kurtis was light years ahead of his time.

*the title of which I find mighty intriguing, as it was only '86, and already, hip-hop heads were bemoaning the death of the old school! Which goes to show, I think, that in the hip-hop genre, a form of music that is distinctly of the now, that the term "old school" itself only means about 10 years; while that may well prove that hip-hop is a disposable genre, this album, to me at least, is pretty darn timeless.

thats so funny.
i totally picked up that record a few months back. purely on a whim.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:48 am

Never heard Back to the Old School, but I do love Mantronix's The Album from '85. It's what I'd imagine Cluster would sound like if they did a hip-hop album. Awesome polyrhythmic electro-hop; I listen to it way more often than I do Afrika Bambaataa, Kurtis Blow and co. even though those guys are awesome.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:39 am

Theres this old electro group I was turned onto recently called The Jonzun Crew. I had never heard of them before, but they're one of the real pioneers of that genre of music.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Seppuku wrote:Never heard Back to the Old School, but I do love Mantronix's The Album from '85. It's what I'd imagine Cluster would sound like if they did a hip-hop album. Awesome polyrhythmic electro-hop; I listen to it way more often than I do Afrika Bambaataa, Kurtis Blow and co. even though those guys are awesome.

i may be saying more than i should, but bambaataa kind of bores me. not trying to underscore his contribution to the genre *ahemkraftwerkcough* but, i dont know. i would rather listen to mantronix or newcleus.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:09 pm

I tried to make one, but almost every song I was looking for couldn't be found. :roll:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Damn, Thats too bad. :roll:
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music