Elliott Smith (Now w/ COMPLETE COLLECTION!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Elliott Smith (Now w/ COMPLETE COLLECTION!)

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Well it's taken me years but I now have, after much hunting on the internet and in record stores, every single song recorded by Elliott Smith. For any fans who only have the studio albums, I'll just say this - there is a wealth of stuff out there that you really should get your hands on. For rare demos and such, look online. I had to use eBay and Amazon to get my hands on all his singles so that I could have the b-sides, but they're bloody worth having. A few I bought when they came out (started listening to Elliott back in 97) but there was a lot I was missing.

What really amazes me is how many of his demos, songs he rejected for inclusion on his studio albums, are so fantastic and of such high quality. It just makes me think that he threw away some great material. But thankfully it's been preserved and is out there if you want it. 'New Moon', an officially released collection of rarities, is a good place to start. Several other tracks I've hunted down that I would highly recommend are:

Splitsville
Abused
I Don't Think I'm Ever Gonna Figure It Out
Our Thing (instrumental)
No Name #6
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Re: Elliott Smith (Now w/ COMPLETE COLLECTION!)

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:31 am

I guess this is the point when someone swings into this thread and asks sheepishly "Who the hell is Elliott Smith?"

Yeah, that would be me. Never heard of the dude. A quick google search later, and I still don't recognize him or his work.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 am

so sorry wrote:I guess this is the point when someone swings into this thread and asks sheepishly "Who the hell is Elliott Smith?"

Yeah, that would be me. Never heard of the dude. A quick google search later, and I still don't recognize him or his work.

That means either he's cool and you're not, or you're cool and he's not.

I've only heard of him because one of his songs was nominated for an Oscar. But I think it was in the Titanic year, and the Titanic song steamrolled over anything else in the competition.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:29 pm

so sorry wrote:"Who the hell was Elliott Smith?"

Fixed. He stabbed himself to death about 5 years back.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Vegeta on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:33 pm

One of my all time favorite artists. I keep waiting for an awesome tribute album someday. I know Ben Folds, Bright Eyes, and Pete Yorn cover him live.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:34 pm

minstrel wrote:
so sorry wrote:I guess this is the point when someone swings into this thread and asks sheepishly "Who the hell is Elliott Smith?"

That means either he's cool and you're not, or you're cool and he's not.

I've only heard of him because one of his songs was nominated for an Oscar. But I think it was in the Titanic year, and the Titanic song steamrolled over anything else in the competition.

Yeah, his only flirtation with mainstream success was when he was nominated for an Oscar for Best Song (I think it was Between the Bars?) for Good Will Hunting, which also used a few other songs of his for the soundtrack. Ironically it caused a lot of angst for him (or maybe not depending on how you look at it, since he was an angsty dude in general) because he thought his songs were being misinterpreted. He's a pretty talented musician, but it depends on what you're into.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:52 pm

I think it was 'Miss Misery' that got the Oscar nom. I'm just a casual fan, but that's one of the tracks I'm really familiar with from the couple of albums I've got, although it's not on 'Either/Or' which I think was the source for most of his songs on the ST.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Scottys potty on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Personally I always thought that Elliot Smith was a poor man's Bright Eyes, merely running off the latter part of Blood on the Tracks' standard setting magnificence.
Scottys potty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Scottys potty on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Doesn't stop him from sounding like one still though. Madonna for example is a poor man's Christina Aguilera to me in how she cannot clone her diversity and madam diva voice, only instead mock it. Why do I have to explain everything before we can discuss it?
Scottys potty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Elliott Smith a poor man's Bright Eyes?

T.R.O.L.L
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Scottys potty on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:15 pm

No. Just my well informed my opinion. Why is it that my well informed and backed up point of view cannot be stated here and have a substantial debate and discussion with peers but instead is just being insulted and have flat assumptions about being a Troll thrown at me? I thought this was a place of incredulous opinions and civilised, philosphical even, opinions. It seems I am wrong. You should be ashamed.
Scottys potty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:17 pm

I am truly ashamed.

That I am replying to the troll.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Scottys potty on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Ashamed that you cannot discuss, in a discussion forum.
Scottys potty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 pm

There's no discussion to be had about whether Elliot Smith is a poor man's Bright Eyes it's just wrong/myopic, uneducated and really pointless.

EDIT: TeeHee
TonyWilson

Postby Tonay on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:33 pm

No it isn't. No opinion on an artist is wrong. This is what I tell my music pupils. You talk like my children. Are you my children? On a forum that I don't now that you are on? I can find this out if you keep on talking.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:34 pm

I think Elliot Smith did the awesome song "Needle in the Hay" from Royal Tenanbaums also. I think he was good, but a little too mellow for my taste. Bad Astronauts cover of "Needle in the Hay" is damn fine though.

As far as any comparison's to Bright Eyes. I think Smith had a little more soul than that twee fucker Conner Oberst. But why compare them? It's not like they were ever in competition on the Billboard Hot 100.

And as much as I have disliked Madonna's work of late, she has had much more of an impact on music than Aguelara [sic I know]. In fact I am pretty sure Aguielaira [sic again] would find your comment pretty insulting since there would be no Agualariats [sic who the fuck do you spell her name?] without Madonna's pioneering work in the sexy sleaze bag chanteuse genre of music.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Scottys potty wrote:No it isn't. No opinion on an artist is wrong. This is what I tell my music pupils. You talk like my children. Are you my children? On a forum that I don't now that you are on? I can find this out if you keep on talking.

You're right, no opinion is wrong, but they can be myopic, uneducated and really pointless.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Scottys potty on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 pm

?
Scottys potty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:You're right, no opinion is wrong, but they can be myopic, uneducated and really pointless.

Never a truer word spoken (or written).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Scottys potty wrote:?

Which words did you not understand?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Scottys potty on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:05 am

John-Locke wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:You're right, no opinion is wrong, but they can be myopic, uneducated and really pointless.

Likewise. At last some indication of some intellect that I can connect too. Elliot Smith also whilst lending Good Will Hunting an extra layer of pastel colored nuance an giving the flavor of the movie a really big boost, was also at the same time, a pretentious attempt to be heavy, but still took away from the light touch that the movie needed to flow more straightforward and accurately.
Scottys potty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 am

Scottys potty wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

Likewise. At last some indication of some intellect that I can connect too. Elliot Smith also whilst lending Good Will Hunting an extra layer of pastel colored nuance an giving the flavor of the movie a really big boost, was also at the same time, a pretentious attempt to be heavy, but still took away from the light touch that the movie needed to flow more straightforward and accurately.

Scotty, what color is the sky in your world?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:44 am

There would be no Bright Eyes if it weren't for Elliott Smith as well.

You can tell Connor had a man crush on Elliott
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:21 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:There would be no Bright Eyes if it weren't for Elliott Smith as well.

You can tell Connor had a man crush on Elliott

That was my thinking as well. Scotty seems to have backwards logic: Smith begat Bright Eyes, Aguilara begat Madonna. Bizarro world lives in, he does.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Ironical on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:56 pm

WorstPart, I'm wondering if you can help me.. years back a guy made me an old mix tape with tons of great songs recorded from vinyls he had. One of the songs was an elliot smith track that I think was probably a b-side. He wrote the track list on a piece of paper which I have long since lost... shamefully i'm not even sure where the tape is.

lyrics I can remember off the top of my head.. which might not even be accurate!

better all your mom she's out looking for you, in the jail and the army and the hospital too, but the people there couldn't do anything for you.
help me kill my time, cos i'll never be fine.

God - that's not a lot to go on is it - but judging by your collection if you can't help me no one can!
Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Ironical wrote:WorstPart, I'm wondering if you can help me.. years back a guy made me an old mix tape with tons of great songs recorded from vinyls he had. One of the songs was an elliot smith track that I think was probably a b-side. He wrote the track list on a piece of paper which I have long since lost... shamefully i'm not even sure where the tape is.

lyrics I can remember off the top of my head.. which might not even be accurate!

better all your mom she's out looking for you, in the jail and the army and the hospital too, but the people there couldn't do anything for you.

God - that's not a lot to go on is it - but judging by your collection if you can't help me no one can!

You don't need WorstPart, you just need google: http://www.clyric.com/lyrics/91753/ELLI ... -SOME+SONG
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ironical on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Ironical wrote:WorstPart, I'm wondering if you can help me.. years back a guy made me an old mix tape with tons of great songs recorded from vinyls he had. One of the songs was an elliot smith track that I think was probably a b-side. He wrote the track list on a piece of paper which I have long since lost... shamefully i'm not even sure where the tape is.

You don't need WorstPart, you just need google: http://www.clyric.com/lyrics/91753/ELLI ... -SOME+SONG

Wow. I really am a dumbass... I never thought of that. How horribly embarrassing. :oops:

Thanks burl.
Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby jofussunshyne on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 pm

You can find anything on google lol.

Elliott Smith is somebody I have to be particuarly in the mood to listen to. I can't just throw one of his albums on anymore, he is mellow and has songs and formats that at times people will find too slow and almost depressing. I'm not taking anything away from his music, he was a fantastic songwriter and a great singer of his own songs. He seemed like the type of artist who at the age of forty will have been at the point of respect due to his tirade and the way he has skipped the fame and levelled in obscurity, it will bedazzle people into devotion with his music in my opinion. Perhaps his death will help in the same vain as Nick Drake, & Jeff Buckley, & Eva Cassidy. Something about death adds to the allure of certain music for certain people. I think in about 5 years, Elliott Smith will be even more popular than he is with us today.

I think he does deserve to, actually can't help but, be compared to Bright Eyes. Personally I discovered them both at the same time and they led me further to other artists from the same mould, and I'm POSITIVE a lot of other fans went the same route. They aren't identical, but they're not entirely dissimilar either. Just, perhaps, Elliott has more soul and emotion and Connor has more angst, almost teenage angst percieved by a grown man at times lol.

I just wish Elliott Smith had lived a long life reaping what his music has gave to people like me and others in this thread. Some people just cannot house what they have living inside them unfortunately. I am attracted to his lyrics in the same way I embrace Kurt Cobain, a LOT of musicians cannot cope with what they have. It's not of the bullshit "Can't cope with fame," certain musicians cannot cope with their genius. There is always Drugs and Depression within a rock-stars life like it's a pressure, but I believe the truth to be more refined and defined DEEP within the man, not the musician. Fame just gives them the funds to feed a greed they would replace with something else in poverty, the faults beneath what we see will always define them. Some live through it, some don't. Elliott Smith was the latter.

It would have been really interesting if a lot of the dead musicians were still alive. I'm more interested nowadays in what could have been, that I am for what will be.
"What sick ridiculous puppets we are, and what gross little stage we dance on. What fun we have dancing and fucking, not a care in the world, not knowing that we are nothing, we are not what was intended." - John Doe, Se7en.
jofussunshyne
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby vnvnvn2000 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:58 am

I am an intermittent fan. I have to really be down in the dumps--trying to have a pity party to finish an album. Sorry RIP, I love the songs, just not all the time.
vnvnvn2000
GLIB

Return to Music