What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:This American Life, a great show produced by Chicago Public Radio, has an episode called "Unconditional Love" that explores the story of parents loving (or not loving) difficult children.

It starts off with a short retrospective of Harlow's famous experiment in the 50s that showed how baby monkeys strove for their mothers' love, even if the "mother" was a terrycloth doll with a cue ball for a head, or if the surrogate mother would shoot metal rods out of it's body while the baby tried to hug it. If the baby's didn't get love from the mother, they literally withered and died.

It then tells the story of Daniel Solomon, who, for the first 7 years of his life lived in a crib with another boy in a Romanian orphanage... receiving no love, no toys, no comfort (he had to sleep sitting up so both he and the other kid could fit).

This kid's story should be made into a movie. What happens to him is unbelievably heartbreaking, but ultimately hopeful. He's interviewed as a teenager, and to hear him describe his early life, where he had barely any understanding of what life even was, is extremely telling, especially after hearing about the monkeys, and thinking about how this boy no family, not even knowing the names of the orphanage workers who would come in to feed them. He didn't go outside, he didn't go to school, and the only time he left his crib was to eat and go to the bathroom.

On his crib-mate:
He was more a shy kid, he didn't really say much. It was kinda weird, but it was fun to have him in there. I don't know what we even did, but we were there for seven-and-a-half years and we got along I guess.

On looking out the window and discovering the city:
There was one window where you could see the city, and I don't remember exactly when I started thinking about it, but you kinda started thinking about "What is that?" You know, at night you'd see all these car lights, and all the lights in the city, and I think I started thinking about "What is that?" and "Why am I here, and not there?"

He doesn't remember yearning for a family, because he had no concept of what a family was. Eventually, he gets adopted, and his adoptive parents decide to celebrate his birthday. He doesn't understand, because he never even had a concept of what it means to be born. His parents try to explain it, and he ends up getting confused and thinks that his adoptive parents were his REAL parents and THEY put him in the orphanage and left him there for 7 years.

Of course, his world suddenly comes crashing in around him and he has a mental meltdown... and their dynamic is never the same. He turns into a devil-child, attacking his mom with knives, breaking her nose and smiling, etc. She has to have a bodyguard when he's in the house. No matter what they try, it gets worse. He's diagnosed with Detachment Disorder. Eventually, he understands that the adoptive parents are not his real parents and they are trying to help him, but so many years of animosity have taken their toll. He has rage against his real parents, and it has to be directed somewhere, so he aims it at his adoptive parents. So they go through yet some more extensive and unconditional therapy.

And amazingly, it actually begins to work.

I won't give away the ending but if you make it to the "big scene" and are not teary-eyed when you get to the end of this kid's story, then you are a cruel and heartless bastard. :lol:

The ending isn't as "happy" as Hollywood would probably want to make it, but man, does this kid overcome some emotional strife. Easily one of the most compelling stories I've heard.

You can hear the entire thing by clicking the "Full Episode" icon on the web page. If you need something that will really make you reassess your position and priorities in life, I urge you to give it a listen.

I've heard of This American Life but I've never listened to it. That sounds pretty interesting though. Thanks Cha-Ka.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Ribbons wrote:I've heard of This American Life but I've never listened to it. That sounds pretty interesting though. Thanks Cha-Ka.

It's a great show. Worth a listen.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Oh and I meant to say "UNCONVENTIONAL therapy"... not "unconditional." :roll:
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Yet more NPR goodness:

Not so much a podcast directly, but an ongoing series called "In Character" that explores characters in popular culture and literature. Yesterday they did a piece on Long Duk Dong that had me laughing even while they had Asian-Americans talking about what a horrible stereotype it was and how they were mocked in high school.

They've done pieces on Jack Bauer, Catwoman, Darth Vader, Bugs Bunny, Cookie Monster, The Lone Ranger, Holden Caulfield, and Scarlett O'Hara, among others.

Some of you Zoners might enjoy it!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

A DAMN PODCAST Episode #14 - Rosemary's Baby!!

Postby Henchman on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:27 pm

The Roman Polanski horror classic from 1968 gives birth to an awesome discussion. Along with our TOP 5 Infamous Filmmakers Lives we talk about the problems and reasoning crappy kids movies get made. Thanks for listening!

Music by Tolchock Trio and The Kill

here's the download:
http://media.switchpod.com/users/adamnp ... ysBaby.m4a

here's the blog:
http://adamnpodcast.tumblr.com/

here's the myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/adamnpodcast

NEXT WEEK : GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS

Feedback appreciated!!
Henchman
GLIB

Re: A DAMN PODCAST Episode #14 - Rosemary's Baby!!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Instead of sending this to Postage & Packaging, I'm gonna merge this with the Podcast thread we've got already. Do you mind posting any future 'casts there?

Thanks.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

The Zoner Podcast and Radio Thread

Postby Hermanator X on Fri May 22, 2009 11:23 am

Halloo,

I searched for something similar, and cant find anything, so I dont think this is a dupe thread.

Anyhoo, it goes like this, I recently recieved a Digital radio, which is absolutely awesome. At my fingertips/earlobes I can listen to any radio show or podcast I want whenever I want. However, I havent a clue where to start. I have been playing random stations and podcasts searching by genre, random words etc, and luckily have happened upon some cool stations.
From brazillian funk, to NY indie stations, to some bloke talking about depression (supposed to be the ninja tune zen podcast oops :shock: )

So, I was wondering if any fellow zoners have suggestions for some decent stations/shows/podcasts?

This thread could be a nice one stop shop for them.

Just come in, suggest, discuss, and maybe find something to your liking.

For starters, im enjoying the following:

BBC radio 6 music
Initially tuned in for Adam and Joe, but the show before them on a saturday morning, Iyares weekend breakfast was pretty good too. (It was an awesome feeling to hear Neds Atomic Dustbins "happy" while having breakfast in norway) Lots of the 6 music shows seem pretty good, including Craig Charles funk and soul show.

D.E.A.T.H D.I.S.C.O Radio
Great mix of electronica shows by various artists. Currently loving the Princess Superstar mix, which is good mood music for a friday evening.

As before, im open to any suggestions, and any contributions are welcome.

Oh yeah, and if you dont have a wireless radio, but are thinking of getting one, go for it. The best gift I have recieved in a long time!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: The Zoner Podcast and Radio Thread

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 am

'fraid it is a dupe. Here's the original: http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40948&. I've gotta skedaddle, so I'll let another mod do the merging.

EDIT: Then again, you could make this the official Radio thread? I'm not sure if we've already got one of those.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: The Zoner Podcast and Radio Thread

Postby Hermanator X on Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 am

Bollox. That will be my fault for searching "podcast" and not "podcasts" then.

Another dream in tatters. :(
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

The Adam Carolla Podcast

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Seeing that radio is dying a slow, painful death, and satalite radio is limping by, PODCASTING seems to be the way of the future. I'll say that if it wasnt for the lists of PODCASTs on my ZUNE, I'd probably kill myself at work every day.

Besides SMODCAST, and a few film related podcast, I wake up every day egarly awaiting for my ears to be lightly sodomized by the muppet style voice of Rant master ADAM CAROLLA!

His show is only about an hour per episode, but its and HOUR OF GOLD!

No restrictions, the man is in full glory mode and its fucking poetry!

Anyone else listen?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Postby SilentBobX on Sat May 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Spill.com always works for me. Also a random Smodcast from ViewAskew is good. I've yet to try any for Yahtzee from FulyRamblomatic. He is a riot.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:46 pm

The David Chen Livecast started twenty minutes ago, if anyone cares.
Fuckers don't give any kind of advance notice.

See ya in the chat.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 am

Unfortunately that chat is not idiot proof

Failed to log in/sign up :oops:
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:07 am

I saw you listed as a guest.
You can still get in. The chat keeps going after the broadcast ends.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:26 am

So I just failed to notice I was logged in? :( :oops:

But I had to run anyway.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Seeing how there just aren't many folks online Saturday nights, this will be the last time I bring this up. Promise.

For several weeks now, David Chen of /film has been doing a live broadcast via Ustream with Elisabeth Rappe (formerly known as Lady Sheridan) of cinematical/mtv. It's general movie and life talk, and they take some callers later in the show. There's a live chatroom where you can participate if you have a Ustream or Twitter account. Liz usually stays in the chat for a good while after the show is over as well. You can also listen to previous broadcasts.

Check it out.

The exact start time each week can be a pain in the ass to find out though. It begins anywhere from 11:00 to midnight EST. I'll update this post when I know.

Edit- It's started.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:27 am

Here's a link to two free [and legal] audio-plays, one by the Coen brothers (Sawdust) and the other by Charlie Kaufman (Hope Leaves the Theater).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 am

Seppuku wrote:Here's a link to two free [and legal] audio-plays, one by the Coen brothers (Sawdust) and the other by Charlie Kaufman (Hope Leaves the Theater).

Mmmmm, nice link Sepp, bookmark!

And I'll raise, if you've not discovered it already...

http://www.trailersfromhell.com/

Loads of great trailers presented by top film folk.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Sweet, dude. I think I heard that site brought up once, but I'd never actually ventured to go there. Also bookmarked! A thousand salaams.

By the way, so far as those plays are concerned, I'd try and get through the Coen brothers' one because it's referenced in Kaufman's, but I think Kauf's is about 50 times better. Not only does it take his post-postism thing to its final conclusion, but it's also fucking hilarious! Seriously- I was listening to it walking the street this morning, and I'm lucky I didn't get committed I was laughing to myself so much. The Coens' Sawbones is OK, I just find it kind of annoying the way everyone's talking over each other all the time like The Murder Mystery by the Velvet Underground playing in the background of a Robert Altman movie being shown on the TV set of a busy bar. In fact, I'd just skip to the Hope Leaves the Theater play. Starring Meryl Streep, Steve Buscemi, Hope Davis, Philip Seymour Hoffman and "that dwarf guy from that movie about the railway station," Peter Dinklage.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:52 pm

You should all be following Bastard_Robo's new podcast/audio stream....thingy:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/neo-psychobable--tales-of-the-panzer-crush
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:You should all be following Bastard_Robo's new podcast/audio stream....thingy:

Just a reminder that it's tonight.
8:10 PST approx.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 am

Our resident Scotsman has joined in the fun.

KON and friend's podcast.

I thought it was hilarious at times, but maybe I'm just a dullard who's a sucker for funny voices. :mrgreen:
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:31 am

Thank you, Bucky.

If anyone else in the zone is thinking about setting up a podcast on the cheap, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've learned more in these past two days than i'll go into here, but i have managed to record the podcast, found hosting with unlimited bandwidth & set up a working rss feed exclusively for the podcasts that will work with any reader (& iTunes if you add it manually) all for the slim price of £00.00

I'm quite happy with what i've achieved so far, but i'd appreciate feedback from any of you. If you can't understand we are saying or whatever, please let me know & we'll work on it.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:36 pm

I listened to it. I thought it was funny. Good job. Bethlehem, Dawkins, and Charlie Brown. No problem with the accents and I enjoyed you and Craig's giggling, it was rather contagious.

Only minor critique I had is that you could hear someone's IM window chiming every once in a while during the podcast. Not horribly distracting, but obvious nonetheless.

:D
Maui
WoWie

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Episode 2 is up.

The sound should be a lot better than the pilot, maybe a bit too loud though, i'm not sure. Feedback would be greatly appreciated, even if it's "your shtick doesn't work second time round"
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 pm

I don't want to spam up this thread, but that's the podcast on the iTunes store now.
You can find it by following this link.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:54 pm

I said i wasn't gonna do this, but if kirk is spamming in general interest & movie reviews, i may as well spam the podcast thread a little ...

EPISODE 3: Stuart
Download
Stream

It's got a guest & it's the most personal episode to date, check it out &/or tell me to stop bumping this thread to whore my wares
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:10 pm

It's hilarious.

There's vampires,and beany babies...

and KoN revealed that fatties make him vomit.

Not really, but kinda.
You should all listen.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 am

I just discovered this streaming radio station...

http://www.wfmu.org/
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:14 am

magicmonkey wrote:I just discovered this streaming radio station...

That site's made whole bands' careers. Imagine a whole radio station run by clones of John Peel and you'll have a pretty good idea how cool they are.

I don't usually like listening to the radio- I'm way too much of a control freak to let someone else decide what I should listen to- but those guys have got pretty impeccable taste. I've yet to tune in to WFMU without hearing something I've really liked, even if I have no idea what I'm listening to 96% of the time.

Only trouble is they really show up what a waste of time almost every other radio station is. The only other show I can think of that compares to them is Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone on BBC Radio 6.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:05 am

Seppuku wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I just discovered this streaming radio station...

That site's made whole bands' careers. Imagine a whole radio station run by clones of John Peel and you'll have a pretty good idea how cool they are.

I don't usually like listening to the radio- I'm way too much of a control freak to let someone else decide what I should listen to- but those guys have got pretty impeccable taste. I've yet to tune in to WFMU without hearing something I've really liked, even if I have no idea what I'm listening to 96% of the time.

Only trouble is they really show up what a waste of time almost every other radio station is. The only other show I can think of that compares to them is Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone on BBC Radio 6.

I. AM. NOT. WORTHY. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The only thing they miss from the John Peel show is the swear words :wink:

'tis a small price to pay for such awesomeness, its like rediscovering the umbilical cord or something, in all its devastating and comforting glory.

will haveta check out freakzone!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:42 pm

http://ustre.am/8iLg - KON is there and everything.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Damn, missed it again.

Someone should broadcast on a weekday when more of us are available.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:03 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Damn, missed it again.

Someone should broadcast on a weekday when more of us are available.

Doing it again in about an hour.

(and as a special treat, listeners will have the opportunity to hear the 7inch House remix of "Do the Bartman".)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Fried Gold wrote:You should all be following Bastard_Robo's new podcast/audio stream....thingy:

Did anyone listen to this?

I'm contemplating redoing the format in the next month or two, and actually have it in a down-loadable format..

I'm already moderating the pop culture one at therealmcast.com but I've been wanting to get back in the game of my own podcast to rant on.. just wonder if I should keep going with it or not.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:49 pm

Only thing I had to do most weekend nights.
Start it up again I say.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:15 pm

I might be trying the Ustream thing again in an hour or so.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I might be trying the Ustream thing again in an hour or so.

He's live!
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Jarvis Cocker has a new show on BBC6 music. I listened to it on sunday, and enjoyed it immensely.

You can listen to it HERE.

6music are getting some good talent to make shows, and its a regular listen in my house. Im just gutted that I missed Edgar Wrights show a few weeks ago. Damn you BBC and your one week listen again policy!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:45 am

Hermanator X wrote:Jarvis Cocker has a new show on BBC6 music. I listened to it on sunday, and enjoyed it immensely.

6music are getting some good talent to make shows, and its a regular listen in my house.

Yeah, I listened to that, made me almost nostalgic for the UK... but then also happy I escaped when I had to listen to all that darn news.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:50 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:Jarvis Cocker has a new show on BBC6 music. I listened to it on sunday, and enjoyed it immensely.

6music are getting some good talent to make shows, and its a regular listen in my house.

Yeah, I listened to that, made me almost nostalgic for the UK... but then also happy I escaped when I had to listen to all that darn news.

Same here, I listen to 6 music regularly, and the shows are pretty good, with a lot of audience participation, full of nice or fun stories, and I think, oh I miss that place.
Then like you say, the news kicks in and you think Jesus how the hell did I ever survive?? :lol:

A slight exaggeration, but im sure you know what I mean.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:00 am

Hermanator X wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:

Same here, I listen to 6 music regularly, and the shows are pretty good, with a lot of audience participation, full of nice or fun stories, and I think, oh I miss that place.
Then like you say, the news kicks in and you think Jesus how the hell did I ever survive?? :lol:

A slight exaggeration, but im sure you know what I mean.

Oh definitely. He played some good tunes, and that bit with John Hillcoat, talking about the Road, was the kind of little thing I miss.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:50 am

Episodes 4 & 5.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:26 pm

A few links to some radio shows I've put together for a site/fm station called Green Futures (hence the hippie intro I had to tack onto the beginning), who agreed to let me play anything I damn well pleased:

Post-Psyche

Mutant Pop

Psychedelic Folk.

Post Punk

Comedy Records
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Seppuku wrote:A few links to some radio shows I've put together for a site/fm station called Green Futures (hence the hippie intro I had to tack onto the beginning), who agreed to let me play anything I damn well pleased:

Post-Psyche

Mutant Pop

Psychedelic Folk.

Post Punk

Comedy Records

Edit- That is in no way a criticism,just to be clear...
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Naw, that was my M.O.- the show's called The Experimental Institution after all. So I guess it was a job well done. Now all I have to do is blow a few billion more minds and the world will be like putty in my hands!!!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Am tuned in right now and shall remain so!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:44 am

Now w/ shows on Electronic Music and Krautrock!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:37 am

Psychedelic Folk is my favorite (aside from the comedy) so far.

You sure like the word "reckon" don't you,Sep?
I hope to hear it preceded by "plumb" at some point. :mrgreen:
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:23 am

Let's just say Yosemite Sam was my favourite Looney Tunes character when I was a kid.

And ah say, ah say, thanks for listening yer varmint! Someone emailed me asking me what I knew about "Dream Pop" and "Americana." So I'm going to be dialing back the craziness a few notches and doing a couple of shows on them next.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

PreviousNext

Return to Music