What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Re: What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:04 am

Seppuku wrote:Let's just say Yosemite Sam was my favourite Looney Tunes character when I was a kid.

And ah say, ah say, thanks for listening yer varmint! Someone emailed me asking me what I knew about "Dream Pop" and "Americana." So I'm going to be dialing back the craziness a few notches and doing a couple of shows on them next.

Hypnagogic pop!!!

Make sure to put some Gillian Welch in that Americana show!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 am

Hmm, I was thinking of putting Time (The Revelator) in there somewhere. I only know that song from her, but it's really pretty stunning. Like a white, female Blind Willie Johnson. Haven't done the playlist yet, but I know Songs:Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co., Calexico, Giant Sand, Smog and, my personal favourite, a way creepier American Nick Cave called Jay Munly, will definitely make the cut.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:37 am

Seppuku wrote:Hmm, I was thinking of putting Time (The Revelator) in there somewhere. I only know that song from her, but it's really pretty stunning. Like a white, female Blind Willie Johnson. Haven't done the playlist yet, but I know Songs:Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co., Calexico, Giant Sand, Smog and, my personal favourite, a way creepier American Nick Cave called Jay Munly, will definitely make the cut.

I'll take a look through my collection and see if i can make some other suggestions. Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince should be there somewhere though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:05 am

I've taken in the Post-Psyche (tropicalia!) and Psychedelic Folk installments so far - the genre boundaries are a little beyond me at times, but there's great rarities to be found in the track lists - I'll keep a-listening.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Yeah, they totally disregard the names of the shows in their listings anyway. Post-psyche, which was my attempt to make up my own genre name, was called "Strange Sixties Sounds" or something random like that. Maybe it makes more sense than what I called it. Anyway, really glad you're listening, and I'm 100% gonna do a show on Kiwi and Aussie music very soon (though I already included the Tall Dwarfs and The Chills in my post-punk show). The Clean have reformed and they're playing a show here soon, so I've gotta drum up publicity for that.

Oh and it's cool to see you back and posting again, Tapes.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 am

I know I'm kind of cockblocking this thread a little, but here are two more links to some radio shows that are going out tomorrow:

The Good Country

and

Dream Pop feat Broadcast, Slowdive, Blonde Redhead, Big Star etc.

They're both way more accessible than the other shows so far, so if you're at all interested in either of those types of music there'll be some good finds on there. (Again, ignore the annoying hippie intro I had to put at the beginning).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:35 am

Seppuku wrote:I know I'm kind of cockblocking this thread a little, but here are two more links to some radio shows that are going out tomorrow:

The Good Country

and

Dream Pop feat Broadcast, Slowdive, Blonde Redhead, Big Star etc.

They're both way more accessible than the other shows so far, so if you're at all interested in either of those types of music there'll be some good finds on there. (Again, ignore the annoying hippie intro I had to put at the beginning).

Do you like Mojave 3? I was just discussing Slowdive/Mojave 3 recently as someone on XM reminded me of them, but I can't for the life of me remember who. Thats why equally love and hate XM. I can never remember the music I want to look into.

And damn your encyclopedic knowledge of music!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:16 pm

I love most everything those Slowdive guys have touched, including Mojave 3's first 3 LP's (Excuses for Travellers is my fave). They kind of remind me of Luna a little, or maybe Granddaddy. I'll definitely play them when I do a show on Swirlcore Music (I just made that up, but give it a couple of years and I bet it'll be a legit type of music :wink:).

stereosforgeeks wrote:And damn your encyclopedic knowledge of music!

:shock: Coming from stereosformofuckinggeeks that's quite something! Cheers.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Good Lord,man.
I still have Kraut and Electronic to go through.
Give a pleb a chance!
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Seppuku wrote:I love most everything those Slowdive guys have touched, including Mojave 3's first 3 LP's (Excuses for Travellers is my fave). They kind of remind me of Luna a little, or maybe Granddaddy. I'll definitely play them when I do a show on Swirlcore Music (I just made that up, but give it a couple of years and I bet it'll be a legit type of music :wink:).

Excuses is my favorite as well.

Funny Grandaddy and Mojave 3's first albums came out in the same yr. Id say grandaddy is more spacey though.

Mojave 3 and all the Kozalek, Rex, Codeine, etc.. should go in the slow/sad depressioncore genre.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Seppuku wrote:I love most everything those Slowdive guys have touched, including Mojave 3's first 3 LP's (Excuses for Travellers is my fave). They kind of remind me of Luna a little, or maybe Granddaddy. I'll definitely play them when I do a show on Swirlcore Music (I just made that up, but give it a couple of years and I bet it'll be a legit type of music :wink:).

The band I thought sounded like Mojave 3/Slowdive is Beach House.

Love Songs On The Radio in particular.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Now w/ A Little Bit of Soul. Check it out if you want to hear my impressions of Jesse Jackson and that radio DJ from The Warriors.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Hey Sepp, I'm not sure if you're into the whole novelty t-shirt thing, but I saw one today and I immediately thought of this thread:

http://www.threadless.com/product/2223/The_Official_Guide_to_Music
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:31 am

Ribbons wrote:Hey Sepp, I'm not sure if you're into the whole novelty t-shirt thing, but I saw one today and I immediately thought of this thread:

http://www.threadless.com/product/2223/The_Official_Guide_to_Music

Sweeeeeet. That's at least another 6 months worth of ideas for shows right there.

I owe you one, Ribs!

Sepp's lawyer: Just to be clear, the above sentence was written in jest and would not stand up in a court of law. Should you, or any parties representing you, attempt to extort my client, you will only end up with hefty court fees and a bruised ego.

EDIT: The good thing about being a mod is I can turn this thread into a shameless promotion room all I want and no one can ban me. (Right?)

Here's my show The Horror! The Horror! which is "a celebration of all things macabre and mysterious." I actually downloaded a couple of public domain horror radio shows from the '30s to help give me some ideas how to fine tune the shlock just right.

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:59 am

I gave the Electronic Music one a listen the other day enjoyed it. I'll give the others a listen when i have the time.

Also, just to make it look like you're not turning the thread into a promo-fest on your own, i'll drop 3 links to my podcast's latest episodes later on today.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:11 pm

As i was saying, here's the latest two episodes of the Martyrshow podcast:

Episode 6: Beggars Belief
Stream
Download

Episode 7: A Selection of Cheese
Stream
Download
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:29 am

Finished all of yours, Sepp. New favorite would be A Little Bit of Soul.
How many of these will you be doing?
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:41 am

Just worked out how to add Sepps shows to my internet radio (worlds greatest invention) so I will get em all listened too eventually. Starting with electronica.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:06 am

The electronic show is in no way my favourite, but I guess it was cool fitting in a 2001 reference in there.

I'm working on a few on the music of different countries (Brazil is up next!), then after that I guess we'll see. These shows have bagged me some free tickets to Glastonbury interviewing bands, so they've done their job and more!

I'm honoured you guys have been following these things. I know some of the tracks I play gave me a headache until I got used to them.

I'm not sure how many more of these I've got in me. I guess I'll call it quits when I run out of different accents to use.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:06 pm

On the theme of electronica, Orbital are doing a live mix on 6 music soon this evening. ( around 1 hours time, 22:00 uk time)

You can listen to it here : Link

Legendary dance duo Orbital return to the 6 Mix for two shows recounting their personal history of dance music and the part they played in the genre' genesis. Best known for seminal dance tunes including Chime and Halcyon, Orbital reformed last year after a five year hiatus, headlining festivals all over the world including the Big Chill Festival and Get Loaded In The Park. The band also presented three 6 Mix programmes, playing the music which inspired them growing up from punk to dub. In this show, brothers Paul and Phil Hartnoll play tunes from React To Rhythm , Joi, Frankie Knuckles and Aphex Twin, sharing their memories of those tunes and the part they played in shaping Orbital's sound. In the second hour Phil takes to the decks for an exclusive hour mix of his current favourite club tunes, including the debut of a brand new Orbital track - their first in five years - called 'Don't Stop Me.'.

That bit in bold up there gets me hugely excited. Im a huuuuge fan of these guys.

If anyone misses this show, then you have 1 week to listen to it again from the link above.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:56 am

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:42 pm

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Seppuku on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 pm

Parts two and three in my ethnographic series.

The Russians Are Coming!

Kiwindie.

Hear my feeble attempts at a Russian and New Zealand accent. The Kiwindie show ends with one of my favourite songs ever made, and is preceded by a bunch of awesome jangly Kiwi bands who got the fuzzy end of the lollypop, commercially speaking, by happening to have been born in New Zealand. The Russian show's got some typically intense Russian singers, several of whom topped themselves shortly after recording. Hence Russian rock music often being referred to as "Suicide Rock."

Listen. Enjoy.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Hope the 3Ds and Straightjacket fits got a look in for 'Kiwindie', looking forward to what you fit into your tracklist any ways.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 pm

tapehead wrote:Hope the 3Ds and Straightjacket fits got a look in for 'Kiwindie', looking forward to what you fit into your tracklist any ways.

I had Spooky by the 3Ds on there for a bit, but I had to cut a shitload out in order to fit in one epic final song. Some of these shows are really painful to compile.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:00 pm

I bet - I've always been really fond of Headless Chickens too, though they often get left out of Dunedin/Flying Nun considerations because they're so different in style. I've heard the3ds have recently been blowing Pavement off the stage during their recent reformation tour, leading a whole new generation to wonder 'How come these guys never made it big?'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Pavement have got the 3Ds supporting them? Woah, that's like the perfect main band and supporting act combo. That's definitely gonna gain them a few new fans- I don't see how Pavement fans won't eat the 3Ds up. The Venus Trail could be a Pavement album made in between Crooked Rain and Wowee Zowee.

And thanks for reminding me about the Headless Chickens. I listened to their third album and kind of liked it, but it didn't really stand out much. I hear their first two LPs are the place to go.

EDIT: I guess you could say I kind of included Headless Chickens. Chris Matthews, their head honcho, co-wrote a track I played by This Kind of Punishment called The Sleepwalker and took over the vocal chores for that song.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 am

Seppuku wrote:Parts two and three in my ethnographic series.

The Russians Are Coming!

Way to commit to that accent!

I probably shouldn't be surprised at this, but I hadn't even heard of a lot of those singers...and I fancy myself a bit of a slavophile. Great finds!

I myself gravitate toward the Russian high art of pop music...hot chicks playing out transgender fantasies in mental institutions.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:27 am

Thanks, D. Someone said I sounded a little bit like Borat... :?

Anyway, here's a couple of extra strong doses of shamanistic Scandinavian sounds: In Like Finn & Swedish Spaceflights. Probably a couple of the strangest shows yet, but I wouldn't expect anything else from those places.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Trying another Basterd_Robo style music thing in the next half hour - http://ustre.am/8iLg
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:31 am

Seppuku wrote:And thanks for reminding me about the Headless Chickens. I listened to their third album and kind of liked it, but it didn't really stand out much. I hear their first two LPs are the place to go.

EDIT: I guess you could say I kind of included Headless Chickens. Chris Matthews, their head honcho, co-wrote a track I played by This Kind of Punishment called The Sleepwalker and took over the vocal chores for that song.

Just listening to the podcast now, that track's melody is a dead ringer for a Headless Chickens track off their second (and best, IMO) album Body Blow, called Mr Moon - I suppose a fellow is free to plagiarise his own work, but it's uncanny. Great selection of early era Dunedindie stuff, quite a few that jogged my pathetic memory back many moons. Love the Shoegaze/drone track at the end too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 am

Craig & i will be attempting a live podcast type thing on Ustream tonight at roughly 8pm gmt.

It'll mark the end of season one as a whole.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Died on our fucking arses.

Will not happen again.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:27 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Died on our fucking arses.

Will not happen again.

:(

Would have been there if I didn't have to work.
Maybe a weeknight would be better.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 am

It's not a problem with the viewing figures (although, they were next to nothing).

The intro looped & windows media player crashed. Then Craig & I started talking, but the audio was probably far too quiet for anyone to hear. It was doing the audio equivalent of dropping frames as well, because my processor was going at full whack & just couldn't cope. We went on for about 5 mins, trying to have a conversation about going to Europe or something. Craig started a Pacino vs De Niro debate & my internet connection dropped. FG joined the chat about 2 mins after we stopped & told us that uStream had been fucking up for him as well, so Murphy's law was in full effect.

We had 2 guests at one point. If any of them were zoners, i'm sorry we wasted your time.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Playing random music again in about an hour - http://ustre.am/8iLg
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 am

The Japanswer! If the intro sounds even more like gibberish than usual, that'd be because I did the ol' translate to Japanese and back jobby. I do a mean Monkey impression though if I say so myself. Anyway, expect typically eclectic madness spanning several decades from Nippon.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 pm

In case you don't have anything better to do, I'm going to attempt a short broadcast at 11 (1pm EST).
Just 80's music.
"Intergalactic Boogaloo"

Password: komplex.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:In case you don't have anything better to do, I'm going to attempt a short broadcast at 11 (1pm EST).
Just 80's music.
"Intergalactic Boogaloo"

Password: komplex.

join in, guys! we are having fun at work listening.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Tabarnac. We're not allowed to stream audio at work any more. :?
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/audio/2010/apr/23/ricky-gervais-podcast

New free Ricky Gervais podcast. Mr Pilkington is in fine form. Its a little dangerous as im in danger of crying out laughing at work.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:25 am

Cheers for that, Herm. I just saw their attempt at a kitchen sink movie, Cemetary Junction, the other day, and was kinda impressed (well, sort of). Could do with another dose of Merchant, Gervais and their human pinata, Karl.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:49 pm

I will again be playing some tunes here - http://ustre.am/8iLg - in about half an hour or so.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:38 pm

Just this minute finished a hella cool show called Chicks With Licks. I had to resort to dodgy accents quite a bit because I'm still pretty lurgi from my flu and sound a bit like Kermit the Frog.

Women get the fuzzy end of the lollypop when it comes to the rock industry, despite clearly being just as if not more talented than most of their male counterparts. This show attempts to redress the balance with some strange and funky bursts of energy from these quirky rock vixens.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Seppuku wrote:Just this minute finished a hella cool show called Chicks With Licks. I had to resort to dodgy accents quite a bit because I'm still pretty lurgi from my flu and sound a bit like Kermit the Frog.

Women get the fuzzy end of the lollypop when it comes to the rock industry, despite clearly being just as if not more talented than most of their male counterparts. This show attempts to redress the balance with some strange and funky bursts of energy from these quirky rock vixens.

I really wanted to listen to that as I like women who take back their end of the lollipop...but as soon as you started to do the stripper voice I burst out laughing in the middle of the library, in the middle of what is finals week.

That's not a criticism of your alter ego Candy, it just means I'll have to give this a listen when the computer science student next to me won't throw me a wicked side eye for having a case of the giggles.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:31 pm

By the time he's finished with these programs he'll be able to put "Voice Actor" on his resumè.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 pm

M-eoooooooooooooooooowww.

Nice job on the podcasts. Extremely entertaining. Love that song, Scissors by Barbara Manning. Plan on listening to the Russian podcast also.

Kudos on the accents. You really know how to rattle those R's en francais.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Seppuku on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Maui wrote:M-eoooooooooooooooooowww.

Nice job on the podcasts. Extremely entertaining. Love that song, Scissors by Barbara Manning. Plan on listening to the Russian podcast also.

Kudos on the accents. You really know how to rattle those R's en francais.

Blame that on growing up in Montreal.

I just noticed I completely blanked on crediting Barbara Manning for that song. She's one of my favourite indie chicks, too! :oops:

FYI, Candy got hitched to a certain Italian movie producer and is now living it up on his estate in Santorini, so I don't think she'll be coming back.

Thanks for listening, peoples.

EDIT: And I think I might just permanently start speaking in a Russian accent from now on. If Dale, Lady Sheridan and Maui are anything to go by, the fairer sex just go crazy for the Slavs.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 am

I'm not sure of their address but check out THE REDUCED SHAKESPEARE COMPANY'S podcast, specifically episode 169 titled "Our Featured Creature" where Austin Tichenor (a minor 24 player and a writer/performer/head honcho type with the RSC) interviews a Man In Suit
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

PreviousNext

Return to Music