Sigur Ros Is the Greatest Living Band.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Sigur Ros Is the Greatest Living Band.

Postby Colin on Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:20 am

Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:27 am

sorry, the greatest living band is Europe. That "Final Countdown" song rocks!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:10 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:sorry, the greatest living band is Europe. That "Final Countdown" song rocks!

Screw that! Nothing can touch Bread. "Baby I'm-a-Want You" is a fucking masterpiece.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Colin on Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:19 am

SIGUR ROS IS THE GREATEST LIVING BAND.

NOW DISCUSS.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:03 am

Sorry, honestly, the Sigur Ros are so dull I can't even get past 2 tracks on any of their albums. They would be great on this compilation album I am planning though: "Music to Slit Your Wrists By."
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:30 am

Colin do you really like Sigur Ros or are you just making with the funny?

Sigur Ros makes for good background music in film or TV, I wouldn't want to listen to them for too long, it gets a bit samey.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:25 am

The new album "Takk" is awesome, slighly more conventional in its song structure so easier to just sit and listen to. BUT I love the others as well, Agaetis Byjun shakes me up whenever I listen to it. I'd put it with Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Lift Your Skinny Fists..." as symphonic works. Not the greatest living band but pretty damn close.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:26 am

And I created Factory records so I'd know.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Colin on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:10 pm

John-Locke wrote:Colin do you really like Sigur Ros or are you just making with the funny?

I'm just fucking around.

Bob Dylan is the greatest living musician.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:21 pm

TonyWilson wrote:The new album "Takk" is awesome, slighly more conventional in its song structure so easier to just sit and listen to. BUT I love the others as well, Agaetis Byjun shakes me up whenever I listen to it. I'd put it with Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Lift Your Skinny Fists..." as symphonic works. Not the greatest living band but pretty damn close.

whoa!

Does Sigur Ros flat out rock as much as Godspeed?

I've heard they don't, that it's really atmospheric (blah,blah,blah) but if they do, I'm down to give them a listen.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/sigur-ros/takk.shtml

That got me interested.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:32 pm

It's a damn fine record keepcool, Agaetis Byrjun that is. It doesn't rock so much as lull, cradle, squeeze slowly but with increasing intensity until you are in a chokehold of flashing colours and roaring pin drops. Stunning piece of work. Not as visceral as Godspeed but just as powerful.
TonyWilson

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:34 pm

the greatest living rock band is the Grateful Dead, except for that one dead guy. so i guess the Grateful Dead are the greatest living-dead rock band.

and as a side note, Colin, that fucking avatar is disgusting man. seriously. did you boyfriend/girlfreind do that to you?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:34 pm

and before you come back at me, i was kidding about the Grateful Dead... they suck major amounts of ass.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:37 pm

Gracias Senor Wilson for making the time for a quick review.

Oh, just to make you slightly jealous, I'm gonna go see Clap Your Hands... in October.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jobo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:37 pm

Takk... by Sigur Ros was released today. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it after the first few listens. I deeg I deeg.

Though I did wind up cheating and put Track 4 from [] on repeat this morning. What a great fucking tune.
jobo
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby jobo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:39 pm

I've never understood "jam" bands. And I've never understood dancing around like a fool in the hot sun with a buzz either.
jobo
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:41 pm

The doctor is in the hizz-ouse!!!
Takk is a grower, I managed to er ...obtain a copy from a friend its taken straight from the DAT which is pretty cool, really really good but like I said earlier more conventional. Not a bad thing though. Give it a few more listens Jobo, you'll love it.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:41 pm

jobo wrote:Takk... by Sigur Ros was released today. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it after the first few listens. I deeg I deeg.

Though I did wind up cheating and put Track 4 from [] on repeat this morning. What a great fucking tune.

Back in the days before CD's I used to just listen to one side of a tape, rewind it, and listen again.

It took me a long time to realize that side 2 of "The Stone Roses" was better than side 1.

Track 4 huh? <goes to i-tunes, gets the 30sec. preview> Not bad...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:44 pm

Keepcool you cheeky scamp. Damn you. Did you get the free TV On The Radio Track, Dry Drunk Emperor? You like it? I thought it was pretty damn good considering they must have made it from scratch in about 6 days
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:46 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Keepcool you cheeky scamp. Damn you. Did you get the free TV On The Radio Track, Dry Drunk Emperor? You like it? I thought it was pretty damn good considering they must have made it from scratch in about 6 days

Did I get it he asks...

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Pitchfork and T.V on the Radio team up to give out a free tune.

Check it here...

http://www.tgrec.com/news/detail.php?id=101
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:48 pm

D'oh
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:52 pm

jobo wrote:I've never understood "jam" bands. And I've never understood dancing around like a fool in the hot sun with a buzz either.

No Bonaroo for you then, huh?

I try to lay off my disgust with all things "jammy" (aren't they really just noodling? I mean, jazz musicians "jam", Phish, moe., D.M.B just sorta noodle, IMHO) but...
Robert Randolph freakin' rips. When I saw him live I gotta admit I was doing some "freaky" dancing. And The Word (Medeski, North Miss. All-Stars and R.R.) released a great album.

I saw Phish once. Once.
I like some of their songs, but live. EEEEWWWWHHHH!
STRUCTURE MOTHERFUCKERS!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:53 pm

TonyWilson wrote:D'oh

It's funny 'cuz I put the link up for you, in case you didn't get to Pitchfork that day!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:57 pm

Aww cheers buddy, it's funnier cus I wasn't going to go to pitchfork but a friend asked me to have a look for thier Audioslave review, so I went on it. I cannot wait for the new album by those guys. They could be the best band around very soon.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:03 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Aww cheers buddy, it's funnier cus I wasn't going to go to pitchfork but a friend asked me to have a look for thier Audioslave review, so I went on it. I cannot wait for the new album by those guys. They could be the best band around very soon.

Who would you sign with if you where that hyped?

Who would you get to produce your album?

And better than your beloved Radiohead? Quite a compliment indeed!

Oh and a quick question, what's your favorite venue to see a show at in London (or Madchester)? Just curious.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:26 pm

I really don't know who I'd sign with to be honest. I'm tempted to say Sony which I know sounds silly but they give certain artists so much time and resources, just depends if you are one of the lucky lot.

Production wise Godrich is the man. I know that sounds boring coming from me but come on. The production on Spinning Plates and Pyramid song is a work of beauty.

Yup could be better then Radiohead, Hail To The Thief while a grower was their weakest album since Pablo Honey. TV On The Radio on in the ascendancy Radiohead are on the plateau.

As for fave venues, well The Electric Ballroom in Camden is pretty fucking great as is The Barfly but for atmosphere and crowd I'll say The Brixton Academy.
Manchester? Hmm tricky one but Manchester Academy is superb for unsigned and new bands.

Best Venue In England, however, is Rock City in Nottigham, it really is legendary. I have the best memories of that place and sooooo many good and great bands plyed there.
TonyWilson

Postby jobo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:23 pm

I would sign with Righteous Babe.

I would get Hugh Padgem to produce my record, but I'd make sure that Timbaland got to run a few of the cuts.

Not that you asked me or anything.
jobo
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Colin on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:26 pm

so sorry wrote:
and as a side note, Colin, that fucking avatar is disgusting man. seriously. did you boyfriend/girlfreind do that to you?

Don't like it? No?

Well how 'bout you come here for a sec.

C'mon.

Little closer.

Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:45 pm

I bet so sorry really regrets walking around with his nuts in his mouth now.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:33 am

BOOM HEADSHOT!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:01 am

jobo wrote:I would sign with Righteous Babe.

I would get Hugh Padgem to produce my record, but I'd make sure that Timbaland got to run a few of the cuts.

Not that you asked me or anything.

Hey, you're married! Lyra is mine (and Locke's, Tony's, and whoever else she damn well cares to go for).

and did you mean Hugh Padgham?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Padgham

Not that I ever heard of him before you mentioned him.

You can never have enough Timbaland.

And jobo, if I ask a question you should infer automatically that I desire your input.

yeah, that's me on your dick
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:08 am

Whoever produced "Your forgot it in People". Such perfect balance on those songs. And what a about Dre at the top of his game?? I may have to rethink my Godrich idea
TonyWilson

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:10 am

I'm convinced that living in Iceland really is one long magical elvish event as was depicted in that video. I'm kinda fascniated...

SIGOR ROS seems very similar to GOD SPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR. but SIGOR ROS has more of an otherworldy sound; it's purtier...

sometimes that kind of overwhelming emotion is too much for me to take, though. i love RADIOHEAD's KID A / INSOMNIAC duology, but there are songs on those albums that are difficult for me to listen to sometimes... especially on INSOMNIAC. that album was a soundtrack for me during a very difficult time of my life.

anyways, i'd recommend fans of this kind of music check out NEU as well. especially NEU 2. it's not really the same sound, but i'd put them into a similar category -- as in music that emphasizes sound and long compositions over pop.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:47 am

I just listened to that song "Olsen Olsen" and I quite liked it, though I agree with Burl that it is music to slit your wrists by.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby brainiac on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:26 pm

Check out the Beowulf and Grendel movie site for more Sigur Ros including listening samples.
http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/site/f ... tical.html
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby DropJohnson on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:22 pm

Turbonegro eats Sigur Ros for breakfast
DropJohnson
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby buster00 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:23 pm

I like Sigur Ros. A lot.

"Greatest living band." That's COMEDY!!

Greatest living band? I've got TOO MUCH LOVE to spread around...but you might try The Electric Six on for size.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:37 pm

A thread 'bout Sigur Ros segues into Turbonegro and The Electric 6.

and here I thought MF Doom was the master of the non sequitur!

surrealists and dadaists are beaming...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:40 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I'm convinced that living in Iceland really is one long magical elvish event as was depicted in that video. I'm kinda fascniated...

SIGOR ROS seems very similar to GOD SPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR. but SIGOR ROS has more of an otherworldy sound; it's purtier...

sometimes that kind of overwhelming emotion is too much for me to take, though. i love RADIOHEAD's KID A / INSOMNIAC duology, but there are songs on those albums that are difficult for me to listen to sometimes... especially on INSOMNIAC. that album was a soundtrack for me during a very difficult time of my life.

anyways, i'd recommend fans of this kind of music check out NEU as well. especially NEU 2. it's not really the same sound, but i'd put them into a similar category -- as in music that emphasizes sound and long compositions over pop.

IT'S AMNESIAC

AAAAARGH

Sorry about that.
TonyWilson

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:06 am

Sorry keepcool...I was leaning more towards the "greatest living band" slant of the discussion.

The first exposure I had to Sigur Ros was the () album, while working at a record store in late 2002. I said, "Goddamn, these cats is from space!" It turned out they were from Iceland. That made more sense. I ended up with the store copy, and I put it on sometimes when I'm in the mood for something unobtrusive to play in the background (although I haven't lately).

An ex-girlfriend I was hanging out with last month played me some of their new one...the one with, like, the beige cover with the leaves on it?

I'll stop now. All of this is leading to: I like Sigur Ros a lot, but I don't think they are the greatest living band. I have some lovely parting gifts for them, and I thank them for playing the game and being on our show...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby girlkaz on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:21 am

I think they're fairly wonderful. Perhaps 'greatest living band' is a bit too much praise. But they are great
girlkaz
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:50 am

Who?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:59 am

wow that was slow and I really had a hard time staying awake.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby svefn_genglar_77 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:55 am

Sigur Ros are the greatest living band. They fucking rule.
svefn_genglar_77
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:52 am

Your name makes me suspicious... *raises eyebrow*
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:01 am

No one beats Criss Cross with Get on the Bus. FACT! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:01 am

btw - sigur ros how long have they been going for? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Kilgore on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:28 am

silentbobafett wrote:No one beats Criss Cross with Get on the Bus. FACT! :-)

That's total horseshit.

'Warm It Up' is much better....
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby svefn_genglar_77 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:53 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Your name makes me suspicious... *raises eyebrow*

I chose my name before I saw the music board. I had to dig up this thread and reply. And hello by the way.
svefn_genglar_77
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby EWS on Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:58 am

Yes Sigur Ros are amazing. I have had the great pleasure of seeing them live as well.

I recently went out and bought 3 of their albums, and discovered that one of them had an ace drawing that I want for a tattoo.
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Next

Return to Music