Forgotten/Obscure

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Forgotten/Obscure

Postby Jabbadonut on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:38 pm

I've been around (alive) for awhile, so have heard a lot of music over the years. Much music doesn't withstand the test of time, but a lot of music does. I want to list bands that were good in their day, and whose music remains relevant and listenable even after it has been many years since recorded. I also want to list bands who may not be that old, but whose music is not considered mainstream or popular but is eminently listenable.

1. Emerson Lake & Palmer
They made several albums that I believe are still not only listenable, but haven't become dated. If you're unfamiliar with them, give 'em a listen

2. Nine Black Alps
Probably the best rock band of the 21st century. Their album, Everything is, takes a few listens before it dawns on you these guys are really good.

3. Judas Priest
Not really obscure, but I don't think they've ever gotten the appreciation they deserve. Listen to the "Defenders of the Faith" album then tell me they aren't the best heavy metal band ever.

4. Accept
Udo Dirkschneider is the best singer metal has ever had.

5. Yes
Thank you, Fringe, for reminding me of these guys. Listen to "Yesssongs" then get back to me.

6. Foghat
Yeah, Foghat. I saw them live, they kicked ass, and I still think some of their songs have contemporary resonance.

7. Blind Faith
Sure, not too obscure, but the "Layla" album has kind of been swept under the rug. Listen.

8. Savoy Brown
An English band whose blues based rock was never a big hit with the public, but I saw them several times (became friends with their lead guitar player, Kim Simmonds) and they were special live. Their original lead singer was in Foghat, also.

9. Automatic Man
This band made 2 albums of which I'm aware. Their second album wasn't that good, but their first was terrific. Their drummer was Michael Shrieve, who was Santana's drummer originally.

10. Traffic
I was lucky enough to see them live, and baby, they were something else. Steve Winwood and Co. made some music that is still not only listenable, but has withstood the test of time.

I tend to like guitar oriented music, but welcome contributions to this thread that may not be stuff I have either heard, or would seek out. I love music, all kinds, as long as it is good. I know what is listed above is old for the most part, but that doesn't mean it isn't good even today.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Re: Forgotten/Obscure

Postby minstrel on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Jabbadonut wrote:1. Emerson Lake & Palmer
They made several albums that I believe are still not only listenable, but haven't become dated. If you're unfamiliar with them, give 'em a listen

I've been a big fan of ELP since I first heard them in high school. I saw them live in Toronto on the Works tour. How's this for a line-up: ELP was the headliner, and opening for them was Journey, and opening for Journey was Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. The idea of Southside Johnny on the same bill as ELP still makes me laugh.

3. Judas Priest
Not really obscure, but I don't think they've ever gotten the appreciation they deserve. Listen to the "Defenders of the Faith" album then tell me they aren't the best heavy metal band ever.

I've never been a fan of these guys. Lots of noise and screaming. It gets in your ears.

5. Yes
Thank you, Fringe, for reminding me of these guys. Listen to "Yesssongs" then get back to me.

One of my favorite bands! Yessongs is a great album. I have nearly every concert DVD Yes ever put out, I think.

7. Blind Faith
Sure, not too obscure, but the "Layla" album has kind of been swept under the rug. Listen.

Blind Faith didn't do "Layla". That was Derek and the Dominoes, another Eric Clapton project. You don't often get to hear two guitar gods (Duane Allman was the other) challenging each other on the same album. This is guitar bliss.

I tend to like guitar oriented music, but welcome contributions to this thread that may not be stuff I have either heard, or would seek out. I love music, all kinds, as long as it is good. I know what is listed above is old for the most part, but that doesn't mean it isn't good even today.

I love old prog and folk-rock. So I want to remind people of Jethro Tull - outstanding band up to about the Stormwatch album. The stuff after that? Not so much.

If you get a chance, check out an old French Canadian band called Harmonium. Their first album isn't much, but "Les Cinq Saisons" and, especially, "En Tournee" are great albums.

Most of the stuff I like isn't really obscure, but most is old. I'll think for a bit and list some stuff later.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: Forgotten/Obscure

Postby Jabbadonut on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 pm

D'oh! Yes, Derek and the Dominoes. That is the band I meant for Layla. Brain fart.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Return to Music