Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:17 am

New album released in 5 days time

Radiohead have made the surprise announcement that they will release their new album this Saturday (19 February). In a message posted today on their website, the band provided fans with details of how they can purchase their eighth studio album, The King of Limbs.

Another excuse to say roll on the weekend, even though its only monday :lol:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 am

Just in time for my birthday, thanks lads! :mrgreen:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:55 pm

sounds good, but i'll be waiting on a proper CD release before i buy anything... not that goofy "newspaper edition" whatever that is. i don't need a bunch of "newspaper art" and some vinyl records i'll never play.

i'll just listen to the songs on youtube til then
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:08 am

new album turned up a day early - so far it's ... not as good as In Rainbows, but no great slouch. Who's listening?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:40 pm

That for that, just had a listen. Yeah it's OK, nothing extraordinary, but with past Radiohead, tapehead, their songs grow.

I need to get back into music, so hopefully this might be a start. Keep me updated. Or just HELP me get back into music!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:17 am

Totally digging it so far. There is far more invention on the album, for the band, than I was lead to believe by the reviews. The opener Bloom being a Kid B-jorkian Homogenic-era masterstroke imho. Still to listen to seperator tho. But at least every other song brings a degree of fresh vibe to the radiohead bandwagon. In Rainbows never grabbed me like their other albums have, especially considering the inflammatory nature of The Eraser, following it up with a U2 b-side collection just wasn't for me, this has a few more balls however, although I'm also looking forward to (hopefully) basking in the new Gruff Rhys album. Two go in, but who will emerge... Spin, spin, spintourious?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:42 am

You can listen to the new Gruff Ryhs album at his website. I love it. http://www.gruffrhys.com/hotelshampoo/

As for the radiohead album, its getting a lot of airplay on 6 music, and some of the tracks are growing me. Think I will defo purchase some time soon. Dont seem to get a lot of chances to just sit and listen to an album all in one go these days, so I will allow gradual osmosis to work its magic on me!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Really interesting album, only listened to it through 3 times but getting plenty of great new stuff everytime. It's strikingly different to In Rainbows in my opinion, and it's genius polyrhythms are very reminiscnet of Remain In Light by Talking Heads, being as that's probably my favourite record of all time the King Of Limbs is obviously a pretty joyful experience for me personally. Save for a few moments it feels as anout elctronic as Amnesiac and that's definitely it's closest comparison. So far the best thing about it is the promotion of Radiohead's always exemplary bass lines and the way Yorke's voice is both largely untreated yet often muffled (in a good way) and used as an instrument itself. Finally as already been mentioned the drumming and rhythms are seriously brilliant, Selway is a machine anyway but there's definitely some cool electronic enhancement going on.
The magnificent bastards, a 7 album run of awesomeness, pretty sure that's a record.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Is Thom Yorke's dancing the next internet sensation?

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:19 pm

Dancing? I thought he was suffering from blowfish poisoning or something.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:17 pm

magicmonkey wrote:a U2 b-side collection

In Rainbows? U2 B-sides? actually I wouldn't know, I'm not that into U2 these days, but surely not!

Also, I guess I'm alone in finding a lot of the arrhythmic percussion on King of Limbs kind of annoying so far - it is like Amnesiac, in that it joins it as the Radiohead album you are least likely to ever dance to with the exception of the Lotus track - that Thom York video has become ubiquitous ever since it appeared last Friday.

I like it, but it could do with some more guitars.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 am

After a couple more listens I take back my comments re the drumming - but 'feral' is a complete dud track.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Aw man, Feral is awesome, ok I know I'm a huge fan of head :mrgreen: but just imagine the way they will replicate Feral live - it's going to be extraordinary.
TonyWilson

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:35 pm

i'm a huge radiohead fan. the bends and ok computer are my favorite rh records, and i thought in rainbows was pretty great. i'm a fan of guitars; not much of a fan of electronic music. so that said, i feel pretty confident after one full listen that this will be my least favorite radiohead album. i'll still be buying the CD when it comes out, but it won't be too hard to wait til march 28 for that. hopefully for the next record, they'll go back to writing songs again. in the meantime, i guess i can listen to this while i read or something.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:39 am

By U2 B-sides I was thinking more of the BMW driving, Joshua Tree listening brigade. Although, much to my pleasant surprise "All I need" was once played on my Shanghai public bus journey to a metro station - it kinda made my day. Thanks for the Gruff link Herm! I've only given it a cursory listen so far, it may actually take me longer to get round to listening to it more, as Radiohead has really pulled me in so far. I guess it comes down to whether you feel like listening to sad sounding sad music or happy sounding sad music! ;)

So what's MR Magpie about then? Coldplay, Elbow et al, (TV?) stealing their Bends era melodies? A passive aggressive attack on the misers who payed nothing for In Rainbows? :lol:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:10 am

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:47 pm

The whole of their last In The Basement show is up here (from c. In Rainbows) and is worth a watch:
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:23 am

Paranoid Android as performed by Youtube

keep an eye out for a cameo by the Guitar-Playing Bear.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Paranoid Android as performed by Youtube

Really cool.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby tapehead on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 am

TheBaxter wrote:Paranoid Android as performed by Youtube

You know who does a better version?

Weezer - just kidding.

Fried Gold wrote:The whole of their last In The Basement show is up here (from c. In Rainbows) and is worth a watch:

Fantastic - it's all over the internet this week, but keeps disappearing...

Feral? still a bit shitful.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Return to Music