Songs You Can't Listen To Anymore

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Songs You Can't Listen To Anymore

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:23 pm

If this is considered too narrow a topic, then please merge with a more appropriate thread.

There are songs we once loved, songs we always found irritating, songs that we've just heard too many times, that for whatever reasons we can no longer bear to hear. Talk about the song(s).

When I was but a tiny boy, a fellow who called himself Napoleon XIV released a novelty single, "They're Coming to Take Me Away." It was nothing but his reedy voice over thudding drums and tambourine. The first few times I heard the song, I smiled wanly at the attempted humor. After five or six listens on Dr. Demento's radio program back in the '80s, it started to wear at my patience. By the time I'd heard it ten times, I would snap off the radio rather than experience it. I'll be very happy if it never again assaults my ears.

Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" was an amazing change of style for the man, back in 1984. It was based around synthesizers rather than guitar or piano, though the lyrics were in keeping with Springsteen's common themes. At the time, it sounded fresh and different. I must have spun it 100 times on either LP or vinyl single, back then. Now it sounds cheesy and gimmicky. I can stand the live, guitar-based version he plays in concert these days, but the original recording or live versions from the '80s drive me away like a swarm of bees.

"Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)" is one of the happiest songs ever recorded. It sounds as if Van Morrison were grinning -- not a common facial expression for the man -- every second of the record. It's my favorite Van Morrison song. For a long time, I woke up to it every day. Now I have to skip it when I listen to the greatest hits CD or Saint Dominics's Preview. "Jackie Wilson Said" was one of the first songs I shared with a woman I'd have married, if it were possible. She adored it. She nearly killed me when she said that she still loved me, but we couldn't be involved anymore. So, even 18 months later, I never listen to one of my favorite songs.

Share.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: Songs You Can't Listen To Anymore

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Let me share a few that I've had FAR too much of.

Back in Black by AC/DC
Sweet Home Alabama by Lynryd Skynrd
Freebird by Lynrdy Skynrd
Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Touch of Grey by Grateful Dead
Barracuda by Heart
Hotel California by The Eagles
Flirting With Disaster by Molly Hatchet
Hard To Handle by The Black Crowes
Keep Your Hands To Yourself by The Georgia Satellites
Mississippi Queen by Mountain
I Can't Drive 55 by Sammy Hagar
Runnin With The Devil by Van Halen
Don't Look Back by Boston
More Than A Feeling by Boston
Under My Thumb by The Rolling Stones
Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones
Takin Care Of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive
Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison

BTW, this is no cut and paste job, alot is from memory. May all these songs rot in hell tattooed on sphincter of the artist, burned in by a hot branding iron.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Re: Songs You Can't Listen To Anymore

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Rebecca Black - Friday

i listened to it once, and couldn't listen to it anymore
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Music