Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:44 am

Anyone?
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:58 am

Of course Metal is dead, and it's zombie corpse fucking rocks.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:52 am

All of the best artists are dead. I think this is not a sign of a bad thing.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby minstrel on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:38 am

Will someone please convince me that hip-hop is dead? Because I hate it, and I want the world to get back to real music.

Metal is ok. If it's on life support, that doesn't bother me, because it never really appealed to me that much, but I don't have any particular hatred for it.

Bring back ROCK MUSIC. Everything from Creedence to Springsteen to the Doors to the Who to Van Morrison to Dire Straits to Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to the Band to Seger to Neil Young to Eric Clapton and on and on. Bring back music played by musicians playing instruments, not music made by producers twiddling knobs on a studio control board. I want to hear a band sweat.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 am

A band sweat. I like that.

But all those acts you name, the music still exists. Listen to it. It's not like it's disappearing or anything. There is enough solid stuff out there to last you your entire life.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:52 am

You can't kill the Metal.
The Metal will live on.


No one can destroy the Metal.
The Metal will strike you down with a vicious blow.


Metal.
It comes from hell.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:15 am

User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:34 am

When the best metal album of the last few years was from a cartoon band you know things are in a sorry state.
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3946
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:04 am

minstrel wrote:Will someone please convince me that hip-hop is dead? Because I hate it, and I want the world to get back to real music.

Metal is ok. If it's on life support, that doesn't bother me, because it never really appealed to me that much, but I don't have any particular hatred for it.

Bring back ROCK MUSIC. Everything from Creedence to Springsteen to the Doors to the Who to Van Morrison to Dire Straits to Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to the Band to Seger to Neil Young to Eric Clapton and on and on. Bring back music played by musicians playing instruments, not music made by producers twiddling knobs on a studio control board. I want to hear a band sweat.


Hip-hop artists still sell out venues, they still sell albums & all the smart ones created record labels, clothing lines & whatnot as a way to ensure they stay somewhat relevant & bring home studly wads of cash.

As for rock, Van Halen have trouble selling tickets.
Van Halen, ffs.

A lot of the guys you listed are still making music, it's just that they're churning out the same shit to diminishing returns.
Also, "producers twiddling knobs on a studio control board" won't = anything unless they are mixing something, so i'm not sure what you're getting at with that.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:17 am

minstrel wrote:Will someone please convince me that hip-hop is dead? Because I hate it, and I want the world to get back to real music.

Metal is ok. If it's on life support, that doesn't bother me, because it never really appealed to me that much, but I don't have any particular hatred for it.

Bring back ROCK MUSIC. Everything from Creedence to Springsteen to the Doors to the Who to Van Morrison to Dire Straits to Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to the Band to Seger to Neil Young to Eric Clapton and on and on. Bring back music played by musicians playing instruments, not music made by producers twiddling knobs on a studio control board. I want to hear a band sweat.


Never understood hating a whole genre of music. Subgenres? Maybe at a push I could hate Prog.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 am

TonyWilson wrote:Maybe at a push I could hate Prog.

THIS!
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby tfactor on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 am

The music isn't dead until the people that listen to it are dead. If you need more proof: turn your TV to MTV because Beavis & Butthead are back - thus Metal is NOT dead. Not to mention Rocksmith - with which will come a whole generation of guitars players, if that doesn't stimulate your Rock interest - well then its probably time to become a musician yourself so that you can play whatever You want to hear. Make sense?
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:52 pm

tfactor wrote:f that doesn't stimulate your Rock interest - well then its probably time to become a musician yourself so that you can play whatever You want to hear. Make sense?


Sadly, this has been the case for me for quite some time. I've made lots of music just because it's something I wanted to hear that nobody else was putting out.
I have a hard drive full of my own shit, but that doesn't really change the fact that band like Slayer are playing to empty halls, Death Metal artists need a full time job because they are lucky to sell 2,000 albums, labels are only happy to promote things that conform with the top 100 sound...
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:59 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:but that doesn't really change the fact that band like Slayer are playing to empty halls


Probably because their original target audience has grown up. These people now have kids of their own that are the same age they were when they started listening to Slayer. For these kids there is an infinite number of times more music available to them than there was for their parents. The market is flooded with genres, sub-genres, and sub-sub-sub-sub-genres. Slayer's popularity in the late 80's would be considered mainstream by today's standards.

At least that's my thought on the matter.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11919
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Bloo on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:24 pm

I have a hard time believing Slayer played to no one, to an "empty hall". A new metal band maybe, but hasn't that ALWAYS been the case with "metal" in general? Can anyone provide me with a news story that Slayer of all bands played to "empty hall?" a quick google search came up with nothing
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby tfactor on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:03 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
tfactor wrote:f that doesn't stimulate your Rock interest - well then its probably time to become a musician yourself so that you can play whatever You want to hear. Make sense?


Sadly, this has been the case for me for quite some time. I've made lots of music just because it's something I wanted to hear that nobody else was putting out.
I have a hard drive full of my own shit, but that doesn't really change the fact that band like Slayer are playing to empty halls, Death Metal artists need a full time job because they are lucky to sell 2,000 albums, labels are only happy to promote things that conform with the top 100 sound...


This actually explains a whole lot about you, thanks for sharing. Fievel has a point about the demographic changing but there are still those who did Not "partner up" and/or settle down. Plus not everyone has kids. So unfortunately I imagine this leaves Slayer playing to many unpacked arenas filled mostly with frustrated virgins (because and maybe this is the simple oversight) chick don't like Slayer or at least not the ones you want to bring home to mom!

Actually I'm begining to think this whole thread may have been spawned by an experience, or perhaps it is just the insane ramblings of a struggling artist - confined by his Era but born just ahead of his time & yet left banging his lone head with the beat. Sniffle...

Or maybe you are pissed because you never got to go to a Slayer concert, but worry not Slayer is coming to a (probably) very unpacked London arena sometime in May 2012. I don't imagine you would have a hard time getting one of the band members to let you give them a Handy (or the Kirk greeting, as we call it here in the Zone), if this is the type of thing you are into. If not perhaps you could Open for them.

BTW KON do we ever get to hear this music you are hiding? If you are truly happy with and proud of the music you make - lets hear some? please? Personally I picture you screaming and its actually not that pretty a picture in my mental image, so expectation are very very low. Honestly the world should hear your music.

Later Rockinator
-Trev
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 am

tfactor wrote:Actually I'm begining to think this whole thread may have been spawned by an experience, or perhaps it is just the insane ramblings of a struggling artist -

Nope, try again...

tfactor wrote:...confined by his Era but born just ahead of his time & yet left banging his lone head with the beat. Sniffle...

Nope, I don't even make what'd be considered "Metal". I mainly make electronic music these days.
It's a lot easier for me to layer synths, samples & whatever else than it is to find 5 guys that want to play the same style of rock/metal.

tfactor wrote:Or maybe you are pissed because you never got to go to a Slayer concert, but worry not Slayer is coming to a (probably) very unpacked London arena sometime in May 2012.

London isn't even in the same country as me...

tfactor wrote:I don't imagine you would have a hard time getting one of the band members to let you give them a Handy (or the Kirk greeting, as we call it here in the Zone)

How witty of you.

tfactor wrote:BTW KON do we ever get to hear this music you are hiding?

I imagine you would've seen the odd post &/or thread about it if you spent a little less time acting like a smarmy bastard, yes.

tfactor wrote:If you are truly happy with and proud of the music you make - lets hear some? please?

Why, so you can continue to derail this thread?

You know, people like you (and i know you've not exactly been active over the past few years, hence "like") are the reason this place is dead. I signed in for the first time in about a month to talk about metal &/or rock & you've just shown me that i shouldn't have bothered.

tfactor wrote:Personally I picture you screaming and its actually not that pretty a picture in my mental image, so expectation are very very low.

Good to know.


Bloo wrote:I have a hard time believing Slayer played to no one, to an "empty hall". A new metal band maybe, but hasn't that ALWAYS been the case with "metal" in general? Can anyone provide me with a news story that Slayer of all bands played to "empty hall?" a quick google search came up with nothing


From what i heard, it was one of the Pennsylvania dates on their tour with Rob Zombie.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:06 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?


The Sword
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:The Sword



YES!

More of this!
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Bloo on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:04 pm

KON I still haven't seen a news report about it, but I'll dig a little deeper. But the reports I read about their two shows in PA both had great turn outs. And I know they played to over 50,000 fans in Yankee stadium (in their tour with Metallica, Anthrax, and Megadeth).

I'm not trying to be...disagreeable, I just think if you're going to make a statement like that, it needs to be backed up. And hey KoN...it's good to see you back around here
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:The Sword



YES!

More of this!


So did I just turn you on to this band or just remind you that they were out there? I love turning people on to something they end up liking. They will actually be in town this Sunday and I've obligated to go see the friggin' Browns lose that same day for months. Can't get out of it . . .

I'd also recommend you check out Mastadon, but I think they're a tad bit overrated and I'm not crazy about the vocals.

There's also always the retro/stoner/desert/whatever-you-want-to-call-it style of Kyuss and Fu-Manchu. Love that stuff . . .
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Yes Kyuss, one of the top 3 bands of the 90's without hyperbole. Went to see the Kyuss Lives tour in March at Rock City - holy shit they were still fucking blisteringly awesome and Garcia's voice ain't changed a bit. Oliveri was about 3 foot away from me and absolutely loving the crowd. If you ain't heard 'em KoN get on that shit right now.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby SilentScream on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:41 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Maybe at a push I could hate Prog.

THIS!


Actually not all prog rock is dreary masturbatory 100 minute guitar solos or Rick Wakeman's picaresque recordings about King Arthur's journey to the centre of the medieval earth.
Van Der Graaf Generator, for instance, are pretty fan-dab-a-dosy and some of King Crimson's stuff is awesome. Robert Fripp is the business and no mistake.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:16 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yes Kyuss, one of the top 3 bands of the 90's without hyperbole. Went to see the Kyuss Lives tour in March at Rock City - holy shit they were still fucking blisteringly awesome and Garcia's voice ain't changed a bit. Oliveri was about 3 foot away from me and absolutely loving the crowd. If you ain't heard 'em KoN get on that shit right now.


I saw Kyuss Lives just yesterday on Pollstar. Assumed it was a cover band. Gotta check this out . . .
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby tfactor on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:06 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
tfactor wrote:Actually I'm begining to think this whole thread may have been spawned by an experience, or perhaps it is just the insane ramblings of a struggling artist -

Nope, try again...

tfactor wrote:...confined by his Era but born just ahead of his time & yet left banging his lone head with the beat. Sniffle...

Nope, I don't even make what'd be considered "Metal". I mainly make electronic music these days.
It's a lot easier for me to layer synths, samples & whatever else than it is to find 5 guys that want to play the same style of rock/metal.

tfactor wrote:Or maybe you are pissed because you never got to go to a Slayer concert, but worry not Slayer is coming to a (probably) very unpacked London arena sometime in May 2012.

London isn't even in the same country as me...

tfactor wrote:I don't imagine you would have a hard time getting one of the band members to let you give them a Handy (or the Kirk greeting, as we call it here in the Zone)

How witty of you.

tfactor wrote:BTW KON do we ever get to hear this music you are hiding?

I imagine you would've seen the odd post &/or thread about it if you spent a little less time acting like a smarmy bastard, yes.

tfactor wrote:If you are truly happy with and proud of the music you make - lets hear some? please?

Why, so you can continue to derail this thread?

You know, people like you (and i know you've not exactly been active over the past few years, hence "like") are the reason this place is dead. I signed in for the first time in about a month to talk about metal &/or rock & you've just shown me that i shouldn't have bothered.

tfactor wrote:Personally I picture you screaming and its actually not that pretty a picture in my mental image, so expectation are very very low.

Good to know.


Bloo wrote:I have a hard time believing Slayer played to no one, to an "empty hall". A new metal band maybe, but hasn't that ALWAYS been the case with "metal" in general? Can anyone provide me with a news story that Slayer of all bands played to "empty hall?" a quick google search came up with nothing


From what i heard, it was one of the Pennsylvania dates on their tour with Rob Zombie.


Wow KON!

So you think I'm Witty eh? Nice! I stopped reading after that because I haven't had anyone reply in such detail to any of my posts like this since 2007.

You know what makes this place less enjoyable imho? People who constantly complain about how crappy the Zone has become, yet they choose to stay here crying about "this place is blah blah blah" (sandy vagina) instead of finding a more compatible forum.

Plus don't you ever think that you can judge me for a lack of posts on my part here in the Zone! I' was a "founding father" here in the zone, respect your elders. Sometimes work / life can get in the way of my online socializing but I always try to keep tabs of what happens here because I love this place (always have & always will). Hell my wife (Athena) and I were within the first 50 people who started this place when it first started. Can you say the same?

Plus when I first came to AICN - I actually came to vent major frustration about having a shitty work day. My posts on the main thread were harsh as hell and even downright ugly at times, then came Aquaf@g - which changed my world. I contributed to that about as much as I could have (too much even). Yet these guys still welcomed me for who I am and what I brought to the table. Not so far from or unlike yourself...

Sometimes people need a place to vent, not trying to derail your precious thread topic but is this even such a serious "topic" that it shouldn't be derailed from time to time, if only for the sake of humor. So please save your "higher that though" attitude for someone who has the time to argue with you. I'm simply unavailable & uninterested

You asked a question and I tried to honestly answer it, so if you find me "smarmy" - well sorry. And by "sorry" I of course mean; I regret nothing & go fruck yourself! :o

BTW "nobody listens to Techno" - Eminem

Now to get back on topic ... ahem ... BLOW ME Bitch! :twisted:

Lots of love
T
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby The Leprechaun on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Orleans is a metal band, right? They had CM Punk on their album cover and everything.

Image

They should make a new album. It'd bring the Metal genre back from the brink.
Dohn't try an' steal me pot o' gold.
The Leprechaun
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Is this not Metal?



Oh well, it might sooth the thread when people read it and remenisce about something happy, like Vietnam.

Yes, let's remember the gently wafting grass of Vietnam.


mmmmmm.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11474
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Tiny text time...
tfactor wrote:You know what makes this place less enjoyable imho? People who constantly complain about how crappy the Zone has become, yet they choose to stay here crying about "this place is blah blah blah" (sandy vagina) instead of finding a more compatible forum.


Except i dont, i go out of my way to try & make it a more welcoming, fun place. I also made the place easier to navigate, I try to get things like the Wolf Game & AV of the week/month back up & running & i started a Zoner facebook page & twitter group so we can all keep in touch with each other should this place ever go down.
I've been known to hound the staff at the main site from time to time in order to get this place some recognition as well, but just you keep thinking this is 2007...

tfactor wrote:Plus don't you ever think that you can judge me for a lack of posts on my part here in the Zone! I' was a "founding father" here in the zone, respect your elders.

The date you registered means fuck all to anyone but yourself. I'm not gonna respect you because you've been here for 8 months longer & think that makes you some kind of "big deal".
Respect is something to be earned & being a douche is not the way to go about it.

tfactor wrote:Sometimes work / life can get in the way of my online socializing but I always try to keep tabs of what happens here because I love this place (always have & always will). Hell my wife (Athena) and I were within the first 50 people who started this place when it first started.

Do you want a chocolate watch?

tfactor wrote:Plus when I first came to AICN - I actually came to vent major frustration about having a shitty work day. My posts on the main thread were harsh as hell and even downright ugly at times, then came Aquaf@g - which changed my world. I contributed to that about as much as I could have (too much even). Yet these guys still welcomed me for who I am and what I brought to the table. Not so far from or unlike yourself...

Do you still harbour those frustrations, because you seem to be taking them out on people for no real reason.

I wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms, it took me about a year or so to prove my worth to this place.

tfactor wrote:Sometimes people need a place to vent, not trying to derail your precious thread topic but is this even such a serious "topic" that it shouldn't be derailed from time to time, if only for the sake of humor. So please save your "higher that though" attitude for someone who has the time to argue with you. I'm simply unavailable & uninterested


If you need a place to vent, we have a whole section for "personal" stuff & you'll have the zone's ears for whatever legit problems you might be going through.
I'm not the one with the "higher than though attitude", you're the one who decided to rip the shit out of me, not the other way around.

tfactor wrote:You asked a question and I tried to honestly answer it, so if you find me "smarmy" - well sorry. And by "sorry" I of course mean; I regret nothing & go fruck yourself! :o


What part of "is metal dead?" were you answering with the following:

Actually I'm begining to think this whole thread may have been spawned by an experience, or perhaps it is just the insane ramblings of a struggling artist - confined by his Era but born just ahead of his time & yet left banging his lone head with the beat. Sniffle...


I don't imagine you would have a hard time getting one of the band members to let you give them a Handy


Personally I picture you screaming and its actually not that pretty a picture in my mental image, so expectation are very very low. Honestly the world should hear your music.


:?:
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Bloo wrote:KON I still haven't seen a news report about it, but I'll dig a little deeper. But the reports I read about their two shows in PA both had great turn outs. And I know they played to over 50,000 fans in Yankee stadium (in their tour with Metallica, Anthrax, and Megadeth).

I'm not trying to be...disagreeable, I just think if you're going to make a statement like that, it needs to be backed up. And hey KoN...it's good to see you back around here


If i could find a link to back up what the guy said i'd post it, but i can't see why he'd lie (being a slayer fan & whatnot).


Nice Marmot wrote:
So did I just turn you on to this band or just remind you that they were out there? I love turning people on to something they end up liking. They will actually be in town this Sunday and I've obligated to go see the friggin' Browns lose that same day for months. Can't get out of it . . .

I'd also recommend you check out Mastadon, but I think they're a tad bit overrated and I'm not crazy about the vocals.

There's also always the retro/stoner/desert/whatever-you-want-to-call-it style of Kyuss and Fu-Manchu. Love that stuff . . .


First time i'd heard of The Sword, yeah.
I didn't think the last Mastodon album was that good, to be honest.
I remember hearing about Kyluss back when QotSA were getting big, but i can't remember much of their stuff. I'll check it out...

papalazeru wrote:Is this not Metal?



Oh well, it might sooth the thread when people read it and remenisce about something happy, like Vietnam.

Yes, let's remember the gently wafting grass of Vietnam.


mmmmmm.


User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:28 am

Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3946
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby Ye Black Knight on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 am

Lo! Amplify thine speaker's to unleash these hymns of unholy majesty!









This post now concludeth!
VIEW THIS KNIGHT'S WEB'TALES OF METAL, PRESENT'ETH'D IN YE ART OF PURE CINEMA:
http://www.heavymetalsuperstar.com
User avatar
Ye Black Knight
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby tfactor on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:14 pm

I had forgotten about this thread, which is a shame. I am sorry to have made you all wait for this reply. When I read this the 1st time I think it brought me back sometime near 2007 when I had posted my thoughts on the band Metallica - basically showing two pictures; the first was the band as they were for so many years (younger, long hair, shitty clothes and angry looks on theirs faces) the 2nd pic was much more recent picture of the band which made them look more like were just a bunch of suburbanite, church going, office temps.

Perhaps its the question its self which you ask here that I take such issue with. "Can someone prove to me" - sounds like a Loaded question to me, to start. However you are also asking for confirmation of somethings extinction which is not an actual living thing. That which was never alive can not die. So to ask for proof that such a thing is dead - to me seems like a complete and utter waste of thought, energy, time and keystrokes. My simple answer was - if people still want or listen to it: than it can't be dead but I think there are a world of others things with which people can debate & discuss which are far FAR more interesting than the generic music type question you have posed here. I write this as my last thoughts on the matter and not just so that I get the last word in (especially since I know KON is likely to reply, based on our history) but rather to state without question - if there were a contest going on for Dumbest fucking question of 2011 / Worst thread of the year - this KON gets my vote!

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams"

...now sincerely I want to hear anything that you have created or label "music". Not to be a dick or make fun either, I sincerely am very curious what you have come up with? So grow a pair and share your damn music with the group. Whats the worst that can happen? Any creator who isn't willing to let others enjoy their work - is not a creator at all. Embrace your efforts and show some pride.

For example; I could say I personally am an amazingly gifted painter - as long as the paint is transparent or the viewer is blind.

My last thoughts I want to share here are: be a music maker KON, hell even if it sounds like shit to everyone but you - because then at least you've done something. This question you have posed to the group however, this thread and the idea - is possibly one of the worst topics I've ever seen here in the Zone, and thats counting all of TEFBR antics. Sorry to say it but its true!

BTW I've been called a vast aray of things in my life (good, bad and lots in between) but very few I would ever embrace enough to fix it as my Custom Rank, you should be proud.

:D

-Trevor
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Post of the Year nominee......
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby tfactor on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:39 am

The Vicar wrote:Post of the Year nominee......


Vicar, you ... you sexy bastard! :oops:
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:07 am

Well this got needlessly out of hand in a hurry.

Okay, maybe the thread was poorly titled and the initial post didn't elaborate on the point, but I fail to see how a discussion on the relevance of Metal to contemporary music is dumb. As for the idea that a genre can't die, at least for a time and by most measurable standards, my reply would be a single word-- disco. Disco certainly died, or went to live in a deep, dark hole located somewhere in the former Soviet Union. Maybe it was reborn in some forms of modern dance music and it's influence is still felt. Maybe something similar is happening with Metal. I don't know but it's certainly more worthy of posts than whether or not KON is just artistically frustrated.

Anyone that makes a cover of Snow's Informer, even as a joke, and puts it on youtube certainly isn't afraid of criticism. He's shared and continues to share his efforts openly. It's up to him whether or not he wants to put some of it in this particular thread to satisfy your curiosity, but it wouldn't be difficult at all for you to find on your own if he doesn't feel inclined.

I'm sorry T, but I think you jumped to some rather unfair conclusions due to your absence.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 am

metal's not really dead, as long as we remember it.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18518
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:29 pm

tfactor wrote:
Perhaps its the question its self which you ask here that I take such issue with. "Can someone prove to me" - sounds like a Loaded question to me, to start. However you are also asking for confirmation of somethings extinction which is not an actual living thing. That which was never alive can not die. So to ask for proof that such a thing is dead - to me seems like a complete and utter waste of thought, energy, time and keystrokes. My simple answer was - if people still want or listen to it: than it can't be dead


Don't be so sure.
Manowar said "Death to false metal" & lo, it was dead & the people did rejoice.

tfactor wrote:
...now sincerely I want to hear anything that you have created or label "music".


Soundcloud presents: Kon & BritBrit - Banned in Germany

EDIT: Now on youtube (again, for the time being):


tfactor wrote: Not to be a dick or make fun either, I sincerely am very curious what you have come up with? So grow a pair and share your damn music with the group. Whats the worst that can happen? Any creator who isn't willing to let others enjoy their work - is not a creator at all. Embrace your efforts and show some pride.

My last thoughts I want to share here are: be a music maker KON, hell even if it sounds like shit to everyone but you - because then at least you've done something.


As Bucky said, my "cover" of Snow's Informer came out of some random discussion with Dave, Locke, Bucky & myself, I even made an autotuned version for a laugh.
I've been sharing my music with this place since about a week after I signed up, so i'm really not sure how you've missed it.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 am

Just a little update here, all this pish with Trevor inspired me to try & get the video back on youtube (which i've edited in to the above post).

Originally it was flagged for copyright infringement & banned in Germany, earning my website the tagline Banned In Germany(the same week LS banned me on twitter, inspiring the short-lived Banned Everywhere). Youtube seem to have changed the way they work with people's rights & whatnot, so now the vid is available worldwide (with all proceeds going to Sony ATV Publishing, maybe Britney will get 0.00001p off the 2p it'll earn).

I should maybe be thanking tfactor for giving me the ability to have my music heard worldwide (although it was already available worldwide on soundcloud & on my own website)
Now I need a new tag-line for the website, and for that I say "Go home and be a family man".
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 am

What did you do to get banned from LS's twitter dude?
/offtopic
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 am

TonyWilson wrote:What did you do to get banned from LS's twitter dude?
/offtopic


She complained all the time about her job as a movie journalist/reviewer & said she'd much rather prefer to slave away working in a dead-end job.
I was working like 12 hours a day in a dead-end job at the time, so i said "shit or get off the pot".

One or two of her followers jumped on me for saying it, but i'd known (well, as much as us zoners "know" each other) her for like 4 years, so i didn't think it'd be a big deal.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:55 am

Um, I totally agree with you on that.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: Can someone prove to me that Metal isn't dead?

Postby tfactor on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 pm

In a million years I would have never guessed I would actually say this but; I agree with Germany!

Seriously I regret only ackowledging this thread. Its true that I don't have much time to Play in the zone these days, at least not like I used to be able to. So I accept that I probably have missed a bunch but I make no apologies for not being here. I only apologize for being suckered into this time wasting & self promoting thread.

Also regardless what you seem to think - I wish you no ill will KON. In fact I wish you only the best of Luck with your music. I hope someday eventually you can create something that allows you to succeed.

Until then... hail to the king baby!
-T
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock


Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests