The Grammys suck.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The Grammys suck.

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 am

Album of the year-

21, Adele
Wasting Light, Foo Fighters
Born This Way, Lady Gaga
Doo-Wops & Hooligans, Bruno Mars
Loud, Rihanna

Here are the rest of the nominees: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/awards/grammys/story/2011-11-30/grammy-nominations-list/51517554/1
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: The Grammys suck.

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Is there any doubt Lady GaGa is going to win this award?

And personally, I think music in general sucks these days, so the Grammys are a perfect reflection of this.

Unfortunately my 5 year old daughter listens and dances to this crap almost nightly, so Adele and GaGa and the Black Eyed Peas are ingrained in my head right now.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:18 pm

I would also like to note that Katy Perry's "Firework," which is up for Record of the Year, was (somehow) nominated for Best Female Vocal Performance LAST YEAR. You know the awards are a joke when they look for a technicality to nominate the same stupid song twice.

so sorry wrote:Unfortunately my 5 year old daughter listens and dances to this crap almost nightly, so Adele and GaGa and the Black Eyed Peas are ingrained in my head right now.

I actually kind of like Adele
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:19 am

Here's a fun game - listen to Adele's "Rollin' in the Deep", then dial up Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" One of these things is quite like the other - Coincidence? I think not - both pretty great songs in the end though... no wonder there's almost literally hundreds of mash-ups of the two tracks floating about the place.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:15 am

Ribbons wrote:I would also like to note that Katy Perry's "Firework," which is up for Record of the Year, was (somehow) nominated for Best Female Vocal Performance LAST YEAR. You know the awards are a joke when they look for a technicality to nominate the same stupid song twice.

so sorry wrote:Unfortunately my 5 year old daughter listens and dances to this crap almost nightly, so Adele and GaGa and the Black Eyed Peas are ingrained in my head right now.

And I kinda like Lady Gaga, and Rihanna, to look at as well as listen to. And Katy Perry rocks in rubber.

So cheer up you mizwerable gentlemen.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:13 am

Kirks and everyone else who listens to shitty music are the reason the music industry has gotten so shitty. all people like Kirks ever do is listen to cheesy soulless mass-produced pop music while smaller, lesser known artists get ignored. Kirks and his kind are destroying the art of music-making.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:34 am

Ribbons wrote:I would also like to note that Katy Perry's "Firework," which is up for Record of the Year, was (somehow) nominated for Best Female Vocal Performance LAST YEAR. You know the awards are a joke when they look for a technicality to nominate the same stupid song twice.

You wouldn't like her if you had to listen to her one big song, on rotation with about 10 other pop songs, EVERY NIGHT. Over and over again... I've been able to throw a few of "my" songs in my girls iTunes mix (some B52s and some stupid 80s crap), so at least I can rock out to Rock Lobster too. I also had her headbanging to Rob Zombie/ThunderKiss the other night, which was a blast (and a fucking relief from Adele).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 pm

so sorry wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I actually kind of like Adele

You wouldn't like her if you had to listen to her one big song, on rotation with about 10 other pop songs, EVERY NIGHT. Over and over again... I've been able to throw a few of "my" songs in my girls iTunes mix (some B52s and some stupid 80s crap), so at least I can rock out to Rock Lobster too. I also had her headbanging to Rob Zombie/ThunderKiss the other night, which was a blast (and a fucking relief from Adele).

haha that sounds awesome... the headbanging part I mean
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby SilentScream on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:39 pm

CUE THE SWEEPING GENERALISATIONS ABOUT MUSIC TODAY SUCKS....

YAWN.

Christ, how old are some of you lot??

Personally, I don't give a SHIT about The Grammys, MTV awards, Oscar night, Golden Globes, whatever. None of them have EVER been a barometer as to showcasing the best stuff out there. They are what they are. Corporate, corruptible, essentiallly entertainment programmes aimed at the masses. View them on those terms and those terms alone.

There is just as much great music out there as there's ever been. Only lots of it don't hit the mainstream as much. But it's there....on the internet....in the clubs....in the pubs...etc. Like always.

So put your pipe and slippers away and make a little effort. You may be pleasantly surprised at some of the stuff you might find, if you open up your closed ears a little more and got up off your arses.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:07 pm

SilentScream wrote:CUE THE SWEEPING GENERALISATIONS ABOUT MUSIC TODAY SUCKS....

Uhh...I didn't need your cue as I've already made my broad sweeping genelization already in the second post in this thread.

SilentScream wrote:So put your pipe and slippers away and make a little effort. You may be pleasantly surprised at some of the stuff you might find, if you open up your closed ears a little more and got up off your arses.

How about these magically awesome bands that are in pubs and the like get off THEIR asses and get there music in the Grammys?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

That was sarcasm by the way. I know those awesome bands will never get off their lazy asses. 8-)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:39 pm

The problem is that good artists don't get heard because the large majority of people don't like good music. It sounds funny to them, because it doesn't sound like the mass-produced crap shat out daily by business executives who have their eyes on the bottom line. It used to be that good music got heard because the business guys knew they could make money off it. But now, the business guys have realized that they can make just as much money, if not more, off crap, and they don't have to tend to the egos of "artists".

And if I sound like an old curmudgeon just wailing that everything was better in the old days, it's because I am. :wink:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm

minstrel wrote:And if I sound like an old curmudgeon just wailing that everything was better in the old days, it's because I am. :wink:

worse. you sound like Kirks.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby SilentScream on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:17 pm

minstrel wrote:The problem is that good artists don't get heard because the large majority of people don't like good music. It sounds funny to them, because it doesn't sound like the mass-produced crap shat out daily by business executives who have their eyes on the bottom line. It used to be that good music got heard because the business guys knew they could make money off it. But now, the business guys have realized that they can make just as much money, if not more, off crap, and they don't have to tend to the egos of "artists".

And if I sound like an old curmudgeon just wailing that everything was better in the old days, it's because I am. :wink:

Yes, the Cowellisation of mainstream music (or MUZAK to give it it's real term) is all too prevalent. And it is harder (in some senses) for good, original artists and bands to hit the big time in terms of exposure to the masses.
BUT...BUT....
Those artists and groups are out there. Doing their thing, building their audiences and reputations, playing the gigs, the festivals, building their own websites, sharing their music online. All manner of things. And sometimes they break through. Not as often as we would like; but still the opportunites are there.

And in no sense whatsoever should a SHIT event like The Grammys be held to represent the current state of music. A certain part of it, yes.The most crass, commercial part of it. But not the whole part. The underground, the really good stuff is still going strong, on the margins, on the streets, on that local radio show etc etc, waiting to be discovered.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:11 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:And if I sound like an old curmudgeon just wailing that everything was better in the old days, it's because I am. :wink:

You know nothing like I sound. Have you ever seen me parading in my Rihanna Rubber outfit singing S&M?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:09 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

You know nothing like I sound. Have you ever seen me parading in my Rihanna Rubber outfit singing S&M?

You did another photo story?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:22 pm

SilentScream wrote:YAWN.

Personally, I don't give a SHIT about The Grammys, MTV awards, Oscar night, Golden Globes, whatever. None of them have EVER been a barometer as to showcasing the best stuff out there. They are what they are. Corporate, corruptible, essentiallly entertainment programmes aimed at the masses. View them on those terms and those terms alone.

In my mind, each awards show has its own unique set of problems (besides the one that every awards show conducted on such a massive scale shares, which is that they tend to trend toward the lowest-common denominator). In the case of the Grammys, it's that the Recording Academy seems like it's comprised of a bunch of old guys who are out of touch with the contemporary music scene. In the past that would manifest itself in the form of out-of-nowhere Best Album trophies for groups like Steely Dan and Santana, but lately it seems like they've tried to adapt by simply nominating whatever crap they notice is in the Top 5 on iTunes (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars). And then they'll throw the indie music scene a bone with a token nod for whatever artist happens to be next to the cash register at Starbucks. This year that artist gets to be Bon Iver.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:56 pm

How dare you slag off Taylor Swift?!?!?! You sir won't think so bad if you were her next door neighbour in this...

Plus you get 2 Taylor Swifts in the video for the price of one. Slut Swift and Sweet Swift. Can't go wrong. Which one you prefer?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:09 am

Bah! Give me the Atomic Kittens any day.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby SilentScream on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 am

The Saturdays are pretty nice to look at.
Even I can appreciate that.
Even if their music stinks like the rancid corpse of a mutilated cat .

Anyhow, the only awards show I'm vaguely looking out for in the next few months is the Golden Globes. And the only reason for that is because Ricky Gervais is presenting it again and I want to see if he'll go further than he did last year. Let's hope so.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:How dare you slag off Taylor Swift?!?!?! You sir won't think so bad if you were her next door neighbour in this...

Plus you get 2 Taylor Swifts in the video for the price of one. Slut Swift and Sweet Swift. Can't go wrong. Which one you prefer?

i liked Some Kind of Wonderful better when the guy was a redhead, the chick played drums, and the music was good.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Music