Lucky Brits

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Lucky Brits

Postby Brocktune on Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:46 pm

i dont know if anybody here listens to the Melvins. they have been around for like 20 years. they were responsible (in part) for nirvana, even though, imo they play circles around them. anyway, i got this from the webmaster at ipecac records today:

Kielty here with something for you all in London. The mighty Melvins are taking
part in the series of concerts at KOKO where bands play one of their greatest
records in it's entirety. On October 4th the Melvins will be playing all of
HOUDINI at Koko's with a special guest sitting in on bass. tix are only 15
pounds. That is not that heavy!

this burns my ass. i guess i just live in the wrong fucking place. this is just like that cool star wars marathon you guys got, and your zombiefest with S.O.T.D. and L.O.T.D. (even though land sucked). you londoners or those within driving, or riding distance are stoked. Houdini was the Melvins major label debut, and a brilliant record. in fact it contains one of their most "popular" tracks of all time, "Honey Bucket". the thing is, they never ever ever play that song. so not only are they going to play the whole record in its entirety, but this will be (as far as i know) the only known performance of that song....ever!. so i guess what im saying is, if any of you english zoners are down with the Melvins, please go to this show. if not for yourself, do it for old brocktune, who is seriously hating life right now, for not being able to attend. and if you do go, please bootleg the shit out of it! im talking, photos, soundboard patch, digital video, call me on the cell phone from the show, whatever you can. and just remember, if i could be there with you, i would! MELVINS FUCKING RAWK!
http://www.melvins.com
http://www.ipecac.com
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:50 pm

I only envy the British because of two things:

1) Non-delayed and massive amounts of football (soccer).

2) They have the ninth Doctor coming to DVD in a uber cool Doctor Who box set.

Nothing else.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:00 pm

I envy the British for their naval prowess. God damn they were good.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:32 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I envy the British for their naval prowess. God damn they were good.

WERE. Were is the operative word.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:42 pm

That Don't Look Back series of concerts sounds like a smashing good time. The Lemonheads just did It's A Shame About Ray and I think The Stooges did Funhouse. I think Patti Smith did Horses. Maybe it was Easter she did. Anyway, a rather stellar line-up of shows that I wanted to see but was stuck on the wrong side of the pond. I hope boots of all of them show up. Not that I, you know, encourage piracy or anything.

I like me some of them wimminfolk them Britishers have. They're purdy.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:43 am

ONeill I hate to go all patriotic on you but the British Navy & Airforce is far superior to your guys in the US, we may not spend quite as much money, but we use what we got better than you do.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:44 am

Or as his girlfriend said, it isn't the size, it is how you use it.
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:33 pm

You know, as a much as a the Kevin Costner is a the putz, anna his Robin Hood, she was a complete mess (but fun), I did a like a the scene inna the beginning a where he gonna get a his hand cut off anna says a to a the jailor (or would that a be a the gaoler?) "this is a the English courage, eh?"

Nice tip of a the hat to you Brits, no? Cool as a the cucumbers under a the pressure...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:34 pm

Anna yes, Robin Hood, he IS a the Italian...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I beat a you putzes to a the punch, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DennisMM on Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:05 pm

I give the British a wonderful variety of regional accents, moreso if you're willing to expand to the entire UK. Americans have lots of accents, but most of them sound idiotic.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:33 pm

John-Locke wrote:ONeill I hate to go all patriotic on you but the British Navy & Airforce is far superior to your guys in the US, we may not spend quite as much money, but we use what we got better than you do.

And yet your military does nothing of their own initiative, but waits for the US to act on something and then gives the US a pat on the back and says "Jolly good, mate. Can I shine yer shoes next, governor?"

Come on, 1776 was the death knell for the British military and Gandhi brought you down without even shooting a bullet.

The only thing I admire about the British Military is their standard use of the SA-80.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as22-e.htm

If it were a P-90, I would worship the ground they'd walk on. But alas, no avail.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby John-Locke on Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:13 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
John-Locke wrote:ONeill I hate to go all patriotic on you but the British Navy & Airforce is far superior to your guys in the US, we may not spend quite as much money, but we use what we got better than you do.

And yet your military does nothing of their own initiative, but waits for the US to act on something and then gives the US a pat on the back and says "Jolly good, mate. Can I shine yer shoes next, governor?"

Come on, 1776 was the death knell for the British military and Gandhi brought you down without even shooting a bullet.

The only thing I admire about the British Military is their standard use of the SA-80.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as22-e.htm

If it were a P-90, I would worship the ground they'd walk on. But alas, no avail.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm

What happened in 1776, they don't teach us much of your short History when we have so much more from our own country. As for us not doing anything on our own initiative??? WTF yeah because with Isreal, Northern Ireland, The Falklands, The Former Yugoslavia and the Cold War etc we didn't do anything until you guys did first right? Please.

The fact of the matter is, I feel a lot safer knowing our boys are there to back you up & give you valuable advice when you storm into a country, your boys fall to pieces at the first sign of things going wrong & we need somebody there who knows what they are doing, as I said before we may be smaller but we use what we got ten times better than you guys do.

ETA: Oh and I'm not a gun nut in the slightest but I know that the SA80 is unreliable & can cause serious injury to the user, if fired improperly, and the P-90 is the gun I used to use playing Ghost Recon, it's small but packs a punch.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:21 am

John-Locke wrote:What happened in 1776, they don't teach us much of your short History when we have so much more from our own country. As for us not doing anything on our own initiative??? WTF yeah because with Isreal, Northern Ireland, The Falklands, The Former Yugoslavia and the Cold War etc we didn't do anything until you guys did first right? Please.

And WWII, you know, the "war to end all wars".... the US were like the last to jump on that bandwagon.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:25 am

And that was for selfish reasons then, so they could end the depression by boosting industry through the War Machine.

That is of course just a conspiracy theory, but you never know.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 am

DennisMM wrote:I give the British a wonderful variety of regional accents, moreso if you're willing to expand to the entire UK. Americans have lots of accents, but most of them sound idiotic.

Interweb. WON!

I knew you could do it!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:45 am

Yeah the British suck post 1776. Nelson is a hoax.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby HoodedAvenger on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:04 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:I envy the British for their naval prowess. God damn they were good.

WERE. Were is the operative word.

the british army and navy tend to do things with finesse rather than sheer numbers

and anyway you can't seriously knock our navy if theres one thing we are good at its sailing
I Tire Of This
HoodedAvenger
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Larbouk on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:11 pm

When did this turn into US v GB??

I'm not gonna take sides here, but all I will say is this - Passion of the Christ...massive hit in USA, massive flop in GB. Apparently there are warehouses full of unsold DVDs somewhere in England. I think that conveys a pretty worrying message about America, personally...
Larbouk
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:25 pm

There is a patriotism thread in the Evil Fucking Bastard Room, if you want to take it there. Most things are said in good jest & we don't like to see threads turned into Patriotic Mud slinging contests, keep it in the EFBR if you could be so kind, it's all good.

Patriotism, USA vs UK vs Canada eh?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm

You know what amazes me about that film. It made so much money and I reckon that it must have cost pennies to make. Its like a quick artfilm. Made fortunes.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Larbouk on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:42 pm

Fair play to Gibson, saw the market and exploited it before it even existed.

Although I'm not convinced that the movie manages to explain away its anti-Semitism, despite Gibson's protests...
Larbouk
GLIB

Return to Music