The Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

The Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:43 am

Nintendo announces mini NES, launching this fall
The NES Classic Edition will sell for $59.99
Nintendo is set to launch its next console, the NX, in March, but the company is also giving fans of its retro games something to look forward to as well: a new, mini Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) Classic console packed with 30 original NES games.

The miniature version of the console uses an HDMI cable to plug directly into a television set and is described by the company as a "near-identical, mini replica" version of the original NES console which was released in 1985. The mini-console will come with a replica version of the original NES controller, as seen in the image below, and packed with some of the most iconic Nintendo games, including Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Kirby's Adventure.

For those that want to play with a second player, Nintendo confirmed that the replica console will support two-player functionality for games with that option and a second controller can be purchased for $9.99. Players with a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro can also use those, according to the company.

The focus of the console is on retro gaming, according to Nintendo of America president, Reggie Fils-Aime, and as such, there will be some limitations. It doesn't look like players will be able to connect the games to their Nintendo accounts and there won't be any online connectivity. Players will, however, still be able to save their progress in-game on the console.

The NES Classic will be available to purchase in stores on Nov. 11 for $59.99. All of the games available to play on the console are listed below.

Balloon Fight

Bubble Bobble

Castlevania

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Double Dragon II: The Revenge

Dr. Mario

Excitebike

Final Fantasy

Galaga

Ghosts N' Goblins

Gradius

Ice Climber

Kid Icarus

Kirby's Adventure

Mario Bros.

Mega Man 2

Metroid

Ninja Gaiden

Pac-Man

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream

StarTropics

Super C

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Tecmo Bowl

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:32 am

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:59 am

My parents wouldn't buy me a NES because they bought a Colecovision for Christmas in 1982.
I will definitely be buying the mini....and cursing my deceased parents as I do.
Thirty year grudges are tough.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:29 am

I'm disappointed they left MarioKart off the list, although I can play it with my girls on the Wii.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:22 am

I'll have to admit I'd be far more interested in a Super Nintendo Classic Edition.

Which would be the right thing to play MarioKart on if I'm not mistaken.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:07 am

Fievel wrote:My parents wouldn't buy me a NES because they bought a Colecovision for Christmas in 1982.
I will definitely be buying the mini....and cursing my deceased parents as I do.
Thirty year grudges are tough.

I had a Colecovision too!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:32 am

My brother got his hands on a classic edition for christmas.

As I feared it's a bit too retro for my taste. Too much fond memories of the more advanced SNES versions of a lot of the games.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 am

Al Shut wrote:As I feared it's a bit too retro for my taste. Too much fond memories of the more advanced SNES versions of a lot of the games.

I had the same thoughts, after my initial reaction that this would be freaking awesome to have.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:42 am

Oh my

apparently it's also possible to get additional games unoffically from the internet on this thing. And since the games are the size of a peanut there's room on the console for hundreds of them. If you look beyond a few classics quality is dropping pretty fast in my opinion. :shock:

And I can't shake the feeling that games were more difficult back then. A lot. :evil: :oops:
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:31 am

Nintendo of America Discontinues NES Classic Console
A Nintendo representative told video game news website IGN on Thursday that Nintendo will end North American shipments of its NES Classic Edition console. Nintendo of America territories will receive the last shipments this month.

The statement included an apology for the lack of availability of the console at retailers and noted the high demand for the product. The representative explained, "NES Classic Edition wasn't intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans."

The NES Classic controller for the console will also be discontinued. The announcement did not include a statement on the status of the console worldwide.

Nintendo released the NES Classic Edition Console originally in the 1980s. It relaunched the system on November 11 last year in North America and Europe for a retail price of US$59.99. Nintendo had shipped over 1.5 million units of the console worldwide as of the end of January, and the high demand for the product created shortages. The system comes with 30 classic games.

Source: IGN (Jose Otero)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 pm

That's some bullshit.
I say that partly because I never got one and partly because I think Nintendo has made some horrible choices since the Wii came out.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm

SNES Mini Rumored to Launch Later This Year
If true, hopefully Nintendo makes more than a handful of these consoles.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Games