What Are You Playing Now?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: What Are You Playing Now?

Postby King Psyz on Sat May 08, 2010 1:02 pm

LP2 is out already? Damn... How is it?

The demos felt like they were holding a lot back.

But I really want to get Transformers:WFC if I'm gonna buy a 3rd person shooter... decisions, decisions

Right now I am playing Final Fantasy XIII, I totally get the things people didn't like about it. But from a hardcore FF geek, you'll appreciate the 25 hour tutorial once you get to the main game. I also applaud them giving you a larger game to play after the storyline is finished. I do hope they can expand on this type of game play to include more town/village interactions in the next offline installment.

The only thing I didn't like is the speed of the fights don't let you experiment as much. But after about 25-30 hours in when you really need to think about a fight you'll have the paradigm system down enough to actually be able to know what your team will do with a particular set of paradigms and enemies. Use Libra often and librally... :P It will help guide your teams attacks. If you feel underpowered once you get to Pulse, then I can help!

Run don't walk to the top left of the plains map, avoiding just about everything you see. Set yourself up with Fang, Sazh, and Lightning. SAB/SYN/COM and you'll see a behemoth king and a super wolf fighting down the path you're ment to follow. engage them!

You'll get them at half health and a pre-emptive strike. focus everything you have on the behemoth, keep the Bully paradigm until all the buffs Sazh has are applied and then switch to Smart Bomb to stagger Behemoth. If Behemoth stands, well you might be screwed, just don't let up and if you need to switch to a SAB/COM/MED paradigm but for the most part they both ignore you until one is dead. Once Behemoth's HP starts to dwindle, focus your SAB attacks on the wolf, Pain and Fog are the way to go for both targets here. 6600 CP the most you can get at this stage of the game in a somewhat winnable fight. All you have to do is turn the corner and come back until you feel fairly beefed up and then can go about exploring the new world and even running some mark missions.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Wolfpack on Mon May 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Beat Doom 3 and now playing Nightcaster on the Xbox. It's a fantasy action game from 2001 - a bit like Gauntlet.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Re:

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:25 am

Hermanator X wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:Puzzle Quest has reached my shore

seems fun despite the fact that I'm obviously too fucking stupid for this

Stick with it, its a grower and once you get a handleon someof the deeper game play it really comes into its own. Great for the occasional pickup and play when you have a few minutes to kill.

How about the moment you come to the realization that the minutes you wanted to spend have turned into hours?

This game is evil, and it is eating my soul.

Like the psychology of a proper addiction, when you play for a while you start to feel ashamed that you're spending so much time on it.

Then you go to bed one or two hours later than you'd planned, swearing you're never gonna play that fucking Puzzle Quest again.

The next morning you wonder how long you're going to last in the day before playing Puzzle Quest again.

EDIT: By the way, Puzzle Quest 2 is coming out on June 22. May God have mercy on us.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:33 am

I'm still amazed how well the whole concept works

a puzzle game where you have to group colored jewels together, mixed with RPG elements

if I hadn't played it myself I wouldn't believe it
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: Re:

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:How about the moment you come to the realization that the minutes you wanted to spend have turned into hours?

This game is evil, and it is eating my soul.

Haha, coming from the guy with connect 4 million in his av that is quite a statement!!!

My original post looks like I was a little drunk when I wrote it. Probably explains why I dont remember writing it. :D

I do still use it as a "spare time" game. I pick it up every now and then, but never spend longer than an hour on it. Its usually when the indecision is strong in me, and cant decide which movie to watch, or game to play etc.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:09 pm

From time to time I do the same, but I always try to learn a spell I don't know yet or further train some monster which can end up pretty frustrating fast
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:40 pm

The game is evil! /just played an hour

On the bright side I watched a hands-on demo for Puzzle Quest 2, and frankly it doesn't appeal to me.

The design for when you're not "puzzling" is Diablo-esque (the developer's words!) and even the artwork has been made more cartoony and less like a JRPG.

Plus they added a bunch of bells and whistles that I think will water down the experience of building up your character because there will be too many different things to do.

Capturing creatures to (a) train as mounts or (b) research spells spans three puzzle sidequests right there.

Sieging towns and story sidequests, two other puzzles there.

And the main storyline itself.

Now you will have items and weapons, a fifth mana color, and FISTS.

Yes, FISTS. Lame!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bean on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Haven't played video games in years...but I have to admit that Call of Duty has gotten me hooked!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 am

By the way, has anyone ever played the full version of that Space Puzzle Quest?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:12 am

No, but I have finished Space Quest 1 through to at least 6... Does that count?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 pm

magicmonkey wrote:No, but I have finished Space Quest 1 through to at least 6... Does that count?

"That wouldn't be prudent at this juncture."
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:57 pm

magicmonkey wrote:No, but I have finished Space Quest 1 through to at least 6... Does that count?

I swear I played like every sierra game from that era.

My favorites were quest for glory (aka so you wnat to be a hero "Hero Quest").
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

I swear I played like every sierra game from that era.

My favorites were quest for glory (aka so you wnat to be a hero "Hero Quest").

Yeah, me too, including Codename: Iceman. Halcyon days. I never finished Codename: Iceman back in the day, I got about 2 screens from the end too (as I discovered years later). I don't think I really finished the Hero Quest games though, I think by that time Monkey Island had come out and Lucasarts/film became the true successors to what had become a slightly tired formula. Its a shame cos the Hero Quest games were really fun to play too! I especially liked the Arabian Nights one (2?). Adventure games in general are simply amazing at creating a solid and enchanting atmosphere. The last Sierra one I played was "Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned" picked up second hand for a fiver (:D), the game kept me thoroughly entertained throughout.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Maui on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Going through the career portion of NfS Shift. I have to go through several car battles to get some achievements - there are 50 achievements for the entire game. It's not easy however I'm still maintaining my precision driving status.

I also managed to finally pass the first level (Wave Ocean) in Sonic. I know that sounds pathetic, but it's really difficult getting a handle on Sonic as he speeds across the sand and through the palm trees. There's a reason why this game isn't popular and there are always a ton of used copies at the gaming store. It kinda sucks.
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm playing The Force Unleashed. I suck at jumping puzzles so I'm currently stuck on level 2. This ought to take me a couple of more weeks to get past. grrrrrr
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Recenlty beat Nightcaster, Condemned: Criminal Origins, and The Darkness. I'm playing Gears of War 2 right now. I think I'm nearing the end.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 pm

I picked up Toy Story 3 for Xbox today. I liked the trailers that I saw for the game, as well it has an impressive 8.0 rating on IGN. To infinity...... and beyond!

I think when the price comes down for Red Dead Redemption, I may get that or better yet borrow it from my friend. I got a chance to see the first 10% of the game yesterday and it looks pretty cool.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm still playing the hell out of Red Dead Redemption, even though I beat the game already. It's fun. And I'll be honest, the invention of achievements prolongs the life of games for me, because I'll still be attempting things when I would have already given up on it in the past. I got two more achievements worth 15 points last night.

And I'm dabbling with Splinter Cell Conviction some too. I'll probably get more into that and play it in heavier rotation until NCAA Football 11 comes out (which looks a ton better this year). I haven't had a football game in awhile, and I'm sort of craving one at this point.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Maui wrote:I picked up Toy Story 3 for Xbox today. I liked the trailers that I saw for the game, as well it has an impressive 8.0 rating on IGN. To infinity...... and beyond!

I've played a bit of the Wii version & couldn't get past the part where you're on top of the train & need to duck, jump & dodge the rails. I dunno if it's the wii controls (i never know which hand to have the controler with the C, Z & analogue stick in) or i'm just getting bad.

Played a bit of Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday as well. I liked it, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii is more fun.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Maui on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:01 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
Maui wrote:I picked up Toy Story 3 for Xbox today. I liked the trailers that I saw for the game, as well it has an impressive 8.0 rating on IGN. To infinity...... and beyond!

I've played a bit of the Wii version & couldn't get past the part where you're on top of the train & need to duck, jump & dodge the rails. I dunno if it's the wii controls (i never know which hand to have the controler with the C, Z & analogue stick in) or i'm just getting bad.

No, it's a bit tricky. I had to do it several time before I managed to successfully NOT get Woody blasted off the top of the train. Once you pass that, then you have to face evil Dr. Porkchop, which also took me several tries to defeat his royal hamness.

This game is seriously fun, difficult and addictive. I'm currently on Buzz's mission, which involves a steady hand as you have to blast meteors (with Buzz's laser) while flying super fast through rocky, cave-like structures. It reminds me of the Star Wars pod racing game for N64 - which is a very good thing. I'm now trying to figure out how to get into Zurg's lair.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:47 am

Finished Gears of War 2, finished Sid Meier's Pirates! Live The Life, and now I am working on Grand Theft Auto 3.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm playing NCAA Football 11 and loving it. It's the first NCAA game I've bought in 5 years.
The live updates and ticker from ESPN are a sweet feature!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm playing NCAA Football 11 and loving it. It's the first NCAA game I've bought in 5 years.
The live updates and ticker from ESPN are a sweet feature!

You play on Xbox360 or PS3? Some friends and I have an Online Dynasty going on Xbox Live and we have a few open spots left. If you think you can play two games per week and do a little recruiting, we'd love to have you. Let me know. Check the Xbox Live thread for a few more details.

EDIT:

Reposted from the Xbox Live thread:

Hey all Zoners, if you haven't played NCAA Football 11, it's pretty awesome. The best football video game of this console generation, easily. Anyway, some buddies and I are starting a fairly relaxed Online Dynasty (2 games per week). We have 4 spots left. If you think you'd like to be a part of this awesomeness, let me know in the next few days.

Teams that are taken:

Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Ohio State
Penn State
Oregon

Like I said, let me know within the week, and I'll get you in there.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Played the Medal of Honor multiplayer beta a few times, it's shit.
They've tried to copy & paste everything from COD:Modern Warfare into it & fucked up.
The hud can't be moved & isn't all displayable, so can't see the score count & things like that.
The Enemy team are not clearly indicated.
The weapons don't feel like they're doing anything, even the RPG.
You don't know you're about to die until you see a cutscene of your character lying on the floor. The controller doesn't vibrate at all & you can't tell if you're taking damage.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Been playing Little Big Planet again, pre-ordering 2 got me back in the zone, but it's frustrating knowing things I can do easily in 3 months are next to impossible now so I might just hold off until I get 2 and just keep buying DLC (it ports to LBP2 and has new uses)

I have Transformers WFC but the oldest is always playing that or my copy of MAG.

I also might be likely to buy the Scott Pilgrim game tomorrow off PSN. Looks to be awesomesauce.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:36 am

Damn, XBox people have to wait an extra two weeks for the Scott Pilgrim game!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby King Psyz on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Damn, XBox people have to wait an extra two weeks for the Scott Pilgrim game!

It doesn't happen often, so let me relish it a bit... 8-)

It does Blu Ray
______Motion Controls
______Gran Turismo
______Scott Pilgrim
______Everything

lols
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Currently on splinter cell conviction. Its pretty good. The new mark and execute feature is pretty nifty.
A lot more dynamic than the previous splinter cells, but still a good little stealth game (albeit slightly dumbed down in the name of speeding up the fluidity of gameplay). Seems fairly open and adaptable to different playstyles, and im loving the variety of missions.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Reposted from the Xbox Live thread:

Hey all Zoners, if you haven't played NCAA Football 11, it's pretty awesome. The best football video game of this console generation, easily. Anyway, some buddies and I are starting a fairly relaxed Online Dynasty (2 games per week). We have 4 spots left. If you think you'd like to be a part of this awesomeness, let me know in the next few days.

Teams that are taken:
Oregon

Like I said, let me know within the week, and I'll get you in there.

Just who.....y'know, IN THE FUCK....would ever want to play as the Ducks?!

I hope Eugene suffers a nuclear accident someday.
[/random aside]
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Beat Grand Theft Auto 3 on the Xbox and God Of War: Chains of Olympus on the PSP. Now playing Star Ocean: First Departure on the PSP and Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon on the Xbox.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Monday Night Combat!!! Nuff said!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:44 pm

How is that ONeill? I'm kinda sick of FPSes, never got too crazy about 'em in the first place, so would this hold any interest for someone like me?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:27 pm

I've been doing a lot of time on Team Fortresss 2 lately with FG and KON.

I have to say, it's hard to make the game stale.

I thoroughly enjoy playing as the Spy mainly because if you play it right, after a couple of backstabs on players they constantly turn round in a paranoid state thus taking their eye off the prize and getting hammered. You can have 3 or 4 players look like their doing the waltz shouting, 'Spah 'round here!' as they try to clobber each other to identify the spy.

It's very similar to the trailer for the Spy too...

Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:How is that ONeill? I'm kinda sick of FPSes, never got too crazy about 'em in the first place, so would this hold any interest for someone like me?

Well, it's actually a third person shooter and the whole premise is just plain fun. Infinite ammo, cool special moves and the whole SMASH TV-esque presentation makes for a good change of pace from the normal Unreal-powered shooters. The classes are familiar yet unique and the replay value is surprisingly high. It's a good XBox Live party game for a large group just wanting to blast some robots or each other and then have a good laugh about it afterward.

I'm actually writing up a review for it for my new job so when I'm done I'll link to it.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:53 pm

papalazeru wrote:I've been doing a lot of time on Team Fortresss 2 lately with FG and KON.

I have to say, it's hard to make the game stale.

I thoroughly enjoy playing as the Spy mainly because if you play it right, after a couple of backstabs on players they constantly turn round in a paranoid state thus taking their eye off the prize and getting hammered. You can have 3 or 4 players look like their doing the waltz shouting, 'Spah 'round here!' as they try to clobber each other to identify the spy.

It's very similar to the trailer for the Spy too...

THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME! Is it on the X-Box 360?!?!

EDIT: Yes it is! And for 20 bucks, how can you go wrong?!?!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 am

Easily.

I started out on the 360 version & you do not want to play it unless you have 14 friends with the game.
People use hacked gamesaves to enable sv cheats & set the class limits for your team to 0 on everything but scout, make themselves invincible, make your team bleed, place an object in front of the intel room you're trying to get to/the point you're trying to capture & lots of other stuff that just isn't fun.
You will have two or three Level 3 sentry guns outside of your spawn room & won't be able to do much about it.
It's a shame, but a few players have fucked the game up for everyone.

Also, the game is lacking most of the maps, weapons & all of the hats from the pc version & Valve aren't going to patch the game any time soon.

If you can run it (most computers made in the last few years should be able to) get the pc version of The Orange Box.
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby travis-dane on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 am

But if you dont play online, which eliminates Team Fortress 2, you still have one of the best releases for the 360.
HalfLife 2, Episode 1 and 2 and Portal.
Great stuff.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby travis-dane on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:10 am

Oh and I play SPLIT/SECOND right now. Pretty good action racing game.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:58 am

travis-dane wrote:But if you dont play online, which eliminates Team Fortress 2, you still have one of the best releases for the 360.
Great stuff.

I play online. That's why TF2 interested me so much.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby travis-dane on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:26 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
travis-dane wrote:But if you dont play online, which eliminates Team Fortress 2, you still have one of the best releases for the 360.
Great stuff.

Then you should listen to KON.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:21 pm

travis-dane wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
Great stuff.

Then you should listen to KON.

Duly noted. The X-Box 360 version is that bad, eh?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:29 pm

The 360 version is still a good laugh if you can find a game without the server hacks, but as time goes on, those are harder & harder to find.
Do a youtube search for TF2 xbox & you'll see what you'll run into.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:27 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:The 360 version is still a good laugh if you can find a game without the server hacks, but as time goes on, those are harder & harder to find.

Did that. I'll pass. Don't have the patience for that level of hacking.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby papalazeru on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:58 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:The 360 version is still a good laugh if you can find a game without the server hacks, but as time goes on, those are harder & harder to find.

buy yourself a standard grade PC and join us :)

We have a blast, quite literally.

You are missing out on one of the best multiplayer games of all time.

papalazeru

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:21 pm

papalazeru wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

buy yourself a standard grade PC and join us :)

We have a blast, quite literally.

You are missing out on one of the best multiplayer games of all time.

I'm all Apple. Do they have it for Mac? If so, I'll take a run to Apple Store in the Flatiron District and see if they have it in stock.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:43 pm

No need to go to the apple store, just install STEAM & buy it from there (you'll need steam to play the game anyway).
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:No need to go to the apple store, just install STEAM & buy it from there (you'll need steam to play the game anyway).

You sir are amazing. Thanks.

However, I wandered into Gamestop today and saw the GOTY edition of Fallout 3. Never bought the game before, but seeing all the content in one place was just too much to resist.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:44 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:No need to go to the apple store, just install STEAM & buy it from there (you'll need steam to play the game anyway).

You sir are amazing. Thanks.

However, I wandered into Gamestop today and saw the GOTY edition of Fallout 3. Never bought the game before, but seeing all the content in one place was just too much to resist.

We've all succumbed to the temptations of Fallout 3, and what a wonderful temptation it is.

Still, install steam anyway because they have some amazing deals on games, plus once you've paid for the game, if you go anywhere in the world and download and sign into steam you can download all your games and play them there. It's brilliant.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 am

There is a fallout 3 thread, with some nice locations and things to check out in there.

Regarding the game of the year edition, I think im gonna start and wait on these coming out. Like a fool I bought it on release day*, and I havent bought the dlc but I want it. I wonder if I can hold out long enough when Vegas comes out?

*the special edition no less, so I have a vault boy bobble head here on my work desk. :lol:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02 am

Hermanator X wrote: I wonder if I can hold out long enough when Vegas comes out?

I can't. I pre-Ordered New Vegas.
Although I miss running around in the world of Fallout 3 and miss the music, I have no desire to step into that world again. I've been everywhere, did every mission, and started a new game long enough to nuke Megaton, but had no motivation to play anymore.

But a new world completely intrigues me.
I hope they are able to keep doing similar sequels. I'd love to see a Fallout NYC, LA, or hell... even Fallout London, Rome, Tokyo (too soon?), etc.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Games