What Are You Playing Now?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

What Are You Playing Now?

Postby Moriarty on Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:02 am

This past couple of weeks, any time I had a few free minutes, I've found myself turning on DESTROY ALL HUMANS.

You can read minds, steal brains, levitate cows, give anal probes, destroy whole towns with your saucer, take over the Mayor's body... I mean, COME ON... this is pretty much the greatest game ever!

Or at least this month, anyway.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Fun Game

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:26 pm

Yeah, Destroy All Humans is pretty damn fun. It didn't last as long as I had hoped, though; for some reason, once you've beaten it, going around and killing all of the helpless humans loses some of its flavor. I thought it would hold my attention for quite a while, but sadly, there's only so much you can do with those powers. I still love throwing around tanks and giant robots with my mind, though.

After that, I got the new Conker, but I was a little bit disappointed; they actually censored the single player mode MORE on the Xbox than on the N64. And maybe it's just me, but the online just isn't any fun. Right now, though, I'm replaying the Metal Gear Solid series; I just finished 2 last night, and it made a little bit more sense having played 3. But other than that, there's not much coming out this summer, so I'm going to try to focus on movies instead.
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nordling on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:05 am

GOD OF WAR has occupied a lot of my time.

Better late than never!
Nordling
AIRWOLF

God of War

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:12 pm

Yeah, God of War was incredible. I just wish I could get past the final fight on God mode so that I could say that I mastered the thing. Seriously, protecting your family from the other Kratos' on God mode is next to impossible. Not Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die mode impossible, but close.
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bluebottle on Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:56 pm

I got my girlfriend an old NES for her birthday.

I haven't turned my ps2 in days, i've been playing duck hunt.

It's so ridiculous, i love it.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Yo

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:53 am

Well my damn Halo 2 addiction came back and I've found myself on xbox life alot more than i'd like to be. I've also been playing guildwars alot.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby PVIII on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:32 pm

Um, Civilization III. I realize it's old, and for the computer, but it pretty damn addictive.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Bean on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters - any owner of a GameCube MUST have this game! It's classic!

Deus Ex, I've been playing it for 3 years, great multiplayer.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby cockknocker on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:12 pm

Recently completed hl2, got it when it came out but only just been able to find the time to play it. Definately worth the hype, which makes a nice change! Online, nothing seems to compare with the pc version of halo, it gives me endless pleasure. If only could find a woman to do the same.
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Half-Life 2

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:31 pm

Yeah, HL2 was incredible, single player. Counter-Strike Source didn't impress me too much, though. Neither did HL2 Deathmatch. However, while Halo 2's single player was a huge letdown, the online multiplayer is a blast, and by far the best online console game out there. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually prefer it to online PC FPS's (probably because, while some people are dicks on Halo 2, there are a lot more of them on, say, Counter-Strike).
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby cockknocker on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:41 pm

Yeah I'm not overly impressed with counterstrike, i find it too bloated to jump right into. I agree halo 2 SP was a dissapointment. not really played it online much (i dont have an xbox so i played it over at a mates), i find having to use a controler and the low tv res really irritating compared to playing on a pc online.

Plus there are elements of the game engine itself that annoy me, namely the different feel of in how you move and why in the hell can banshees reverse no? Silly little thing like that bungie should have noticed.

Halo PC is retains the feel of the first game plus the addition of vehicles and it is simple to jump into and play. Nothing more satisfying than firing a rocket into a warthog and sending it flying over your head or taking a long distance sniper shot and leading the target just the right amount. Ok i'll shut up about halo PC now.
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:49 am

I hit the used game store today and picked up Resident Evil: Dead Aim, with the GUN! (see previous post about Duck Hunt).

Now, i'm all like, shooting zombies with the gun!

I'll probably be bored of this in a day, but seriously, this kicks ass.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:04 am

How much did it cost Bluebottle? I need something like that to take my mind off of Halo 2 for a couple of days.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:24 am

50 bucks used (with the gun). But that's Canadian, so that'd be like... 35, 40 us... I think. It's worth it.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby evergreen on Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:04 pm

Electroplankton and Pac-Pix on the DS. Electroplankton isn't a game as such, but if you can hook up your DS to a decent stereo, you'll be amazed with the quality of sounds you can create. Pac-Pix is completely addictive, although I always draw my Pac-Men with enormous chins for some reason!

I haven't played my Gamecube or PS2 for a while, but when I do, it's usually Pro Evo on the PS2 or Dnkey Konga on the GC. I'll be buying Killer 7 soon though - I've been waiting for that game for about a year, and now they finally release it and I'm broke.

I'm fully aware that x-box is technically the best console, but I'd only really want it for online play - and that could suck up too much of my already limited time. I'm sure I'll get one eventually though. Hell, I even still play my Dreamcast - consoles these days can have long shelf lives if you want them to.

I hear Nintendo DS will have some online games soon - anybody know anything about that?
Long time no see.
evergreen
GLIB

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:32 am

Phew, just got out of the jungle. Far Cry is some damn good fun.

Wasn't blown away by Half-life 2 (felt like a tech demo albeit with some very good ideas, but too damn easy) or Doom 3 (again not bad some nice atmosphere, but where were the hoardes)?, but this is such great gaming freedom. Its like being Arnie in Commando or Predator. Perhaps, even John Rambo, but I can't remember the shit he got upto other than leaving smoldering boots and mumbling under torture...

I've not felt engaged in a game like this since Grand Theft Auto: Vice city, it is that good. Your approach to any situation is all down to your own logic, not some confined means of progress and with whole islands to explore for each single level you know you're free. You can even fly a paraglider as good as Snake Plistkin or as bad as Tony Wilson.

Please, please encourage games with as much scope as this, I was beginning to feel like it was a dying art.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Brocktune on Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:16 pm

three words

battle
front
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:15 pm

Well i'm currently playing Xenosaga II and City of Villans
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:22 pm

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS is great!!!

right now, however, my gaming life is ruled by RESIDENT EVIL 4 (PS2)...

best! survival horror game! ever!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:11 pm

Brocktune wrote:three words

battle
front

"We need more troopers like you!"
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:50 pm

DINO KONG!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:49 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:DINO KONG!

BWAHAHAHA!!!

or rather,

MOOOOO!!!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:30 am

Pro Evo 5

So.Addictive.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:29 am

Brocktune wrote:three words

battle
front

How does it a compare a to a the first?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby tfactor on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:02 pm

A weekend in vidiot life:

Of recent we got into x-men legends, which we picked up from the store for $9.99 and got because it was up to 4 players. Awesome game, though unlike resident evil once you finish you can't start again with all the upgraded stuff. So I went out and bought x-men legends 2, and it sucks. Great movie sequences but the game play seems crappier than the first DOWNGRADE

Resident Evil 4 has already consumed months of my life, but hearing others talk about it may motivate me to do those agent missions yet again. BEST GAME EVER, though it was better on Gamecube than PS2

Onimusha, I woke up saturday and decided to play a flash back game and opted for the original Onimusha. The controls are a little different but badass game all in all. Part two went down hill and I never played the fighter version but great game, cool puzzles and fun game. It's a cool play, and I recommend it as it's probably (by now) another $9.99 game in the stores

BTW Charlie and the Chocolate.... SUCKS!!! they fucking ruined a classic, and WTF charlie didn't even get the factory, stupid ... depp.... grrrr .... psycho.... stupid squirels...damn ..... CRAP! crap I tells ya crap. Ow and Christmas with the kranks sucked also (did we really need tim in a speedo shot? I think not)

sorry this is so long, it kinda got away from me.

Vidiot out!
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:26 pm

tfactor wrote:WTF charlie didn't even get the factory

Uh, yes he did. It's explicitly said at the end:

"Charlie got the chocolate factory and Willy got a family."

Watch the ending again when they are talking about the Rasberry Kites with Licorice in the Bucket's house, which is NOW INSIDE THE FACTORY.

Watch it again.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Bean on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:26 pm

I've been playing a shit load of Star Wars Battlefront II. It is the best Star Wars game since Rogue Squadron on the N64, or even Super Empire Strikes Back on the SNES. Any SW will love it.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:29 pm

I'll have to check it out.

I was kind of disappointed by the first Battlefront game, it's fun playing with others, but pretty worthless single player after a few sessions. Just like Battlefield 1942, which, I guess, was the goal.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bean on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:35 pm

It's multiplayer is improved, the best thing about it is the Assault mode, where you play chose the Heros or the Villains and fight against them. Yoda, Vader, Anakin, Grevious, the Bobas, they're all there. I have so much fun playing it with my brothers (Anakin force chocking little Yoda to death = priceless).

Singleplayer is better this time, you have more modes to choose from, my favorite being Rise of the Empire where you play as a clone trooper in the fictional 501st, the rise of the Empire is told through a sort of journal, and then you play the battle out. Soon Anakin leads the attack on the Jedi and you're a storm trooper, attempting to solidify more power for the Empire.

Oh, best part: If you get enough kills, you can play as a Hero/Villain, which means Jedis (or Siths)!!! It's satisfying to be Yoda and destroy an army of droids single handed.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:48 pm

wow, that sounds pretty cool!

I'll definitely check it out if it means I can strangle Yoda.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Bean wrote:I've been playing a shit load of Star Wars Battlefront II. It is the best Star Wars game since Rogue Squadron on the N64, or even Super Empire Strikes Back on the SNES. Any SW will love it.

Sorry to stick my oar in, but isn't it generally accepted that KOTOR is the best SW game? And wasn't Rebel Strike (Rogue Squadron III) on the GC better than the first game?

Having said that, any mention of Super Empire Strikes Back makes me a happy old duffer, so say whatever you like!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:03 pm

Guitar Hero. Nuff said.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:04 pm

I love KOTOR. I think there are some PZ'ers who don't feel the same way, though.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:07 pm

KOTOR ruled my filthy soul.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:14 pm

I played it solidly for about 4 months, and it pretty much owned my anus, then I had to sell my X-Box during a rather ugly set of circumstances - never played the sequel though, anybody have an opinion on KOTOR 2?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:15 pm

I loved KOTOR but I don't play it over and over again, with BF you get the replay factor.

GameCube's version of Rogue Leader was better, but I remember when it came out for the N64 and being amazed by the 'realistic' graphics.. I dunno it's just stuck in my head.

I still have my SNES and Super Empire Strikes Back actually.
Last edited by Bean on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:16 pm

More of the same, for the most part. There are a few differences, like you can create weapons, armor and other stuff by using "components" that you find, and a few other changes.

The storyline isn't nearly as interesting.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:17 pm

More of the same, for the most part. There are a few differences, like you can create weapons, armor and other stuff by using "components" that you find, and a few other changes.

So, not worth buying, if you already own KOTOR?

Cool Bean - I've also heard that BF2 has fantastic online play - have you tried that yet?

Schooling some upstart german kid at a SW game has massive appeal for me......
Last edited by ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:19 pm

Oh how I wish I could afford XBox Live.. I would OWN little kids as Darth Maul.. how fun would that be :twisted:
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:20 pm

Fun indeed! Sorry I fell into the old trap of assuming that everybody in America is hooked up to XBL
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:21 pm

I have three of those 'two months free' cards, but I'm far too lazy to re-root the ethernet cable to my room again.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:38 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:

So, not worth buying, if you already own KOTOR?

I would buy it if you can find it at a discount, it's been out for awhile, so it shouldn't be too hard. If you liked KOTOR, you'll like KOTOR 2. There are some new force powers and other aspects of the game. It's pretty similar to KOTOR, but for me it wasn't like too much of a good thing, but then I was obsessed with KOTOR. I played KOTOR 2, went through all the quests and beat it, it wasn't like I got bored immediately or anything.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:49 pm

Cool - thanks. I would probably pick up a pre-owned one
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:22 am

tfactor wrote: So I went out and bought x-men legends 2, and it sucks. Great movie sequences but the game play seems crappier than the first DOWNGRADE

I strongly disagree, sir!

(Not about the cinematics, which do indeed kick ass, but about the game itself).
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:30 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I played it solidly for about 4 months, and it pretty much owned my anus, then I had to sell my X-Box during a rather ugly set of circumstances - never played the sequel though, anybody have an opinion on KOTOR 2?

KOTOR 1- Priceless.

KOTOR 2- Pure and utter crap.

Why? KOTOR 2 is an incomplete game. Everyone involved in it admits to it. It is a shame it was released TOO early.

Proof of this: the endings. Plain and simple.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:48 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I played it solidly for about 4 months, and it pretty much owned my anus, then I had to sell my X-Box during a rather ugly set of circumstances - never played the sequel though, anybody have an opinion on KOTOR 2?

KOTOR 1- Priceless.

KOTOR 2- Pure and utter crap.

Why? KOTOR 2 is an incomplete game. Everyone involved in it admits to it. It is a shame it was released TOO early.

Proof of this: the endings. Plain and simple.

The ending is garbage. It is a let down. These games aren't about the endings, though, they're mostly (for me anyway) about building your character and his party. In this aspect, KOTOR 2 is nearly as successful as KOTOR, with the exception that you don't care about the main character in KOTOR 2 nearly as much as you do in KOTOR, due to poor storytelling.
Lord Voldemoo

KOTOR 2

Postby HeadlessCrane on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:32 am

The biggest shame about KOTOR 2 being incomplete is the fact that it was being developed by the studio responsible for the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series. Actually, the studio is new but made up of the guys from the studio who did those series. Anyway. These guys are the best especially at story and characters. So so sad to see it rushed. These guys could have maybe topped the first if given a chance.
HeadlessCrane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Mimekiller on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:48 am

KOTOR 2 ending felt like a kick to the sack. To have some old crone of a woman sit there and spin boring yarns about all the characters and places was as huge a let down as anything I have ever played. And what was up with the droid stand off at the end? Did that get resolved without me even knowing about it?
The Atom Bomb:Made in America, tested in Japan
Mimekiller
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Alex DeLarge on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:34 am

Star Wars Battlefront 2, a really cool game, its a mix of Star Wars and Socom, and Resident Evil 4, this game is so good, i want to have its babies.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby RoadBlock on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:36 am

Battlefront 2, Quake 4, Destroy All Humans.
RoadBlock
GLIB

Next

Return to Games