What Are You Playing Now?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: What Are You Playing Now?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:44 pm

I gave Ashley all she could take in my game. Nice little shot of some cyber booty. Kaiden ate on Vermire. I sensed Ashley was about ot give it up, so that was the sole factor in that decision, even though Kaiden was a more valuable member of the team in terms of abilities.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:49 pm

See - this was the whole reason for the second game I played. Except I got greedy and played as Jane Shepard - and now Ashley simply respects me as a friend and soldier. And, to impress her, I cussed the blue one so bad that she's not interested either. And so the third game begins....

(Mass Effect 2 is due to be released next year, last I heard. Nice!)
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby uncleJester on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 pm

My game world is dominated by driving games and platformers. Sooo... I've been loving and really rocking through Midnight Club Los Angeles. It's killer on the PS3 with the Logitech Game Force wheel. Amazing, really. They mapped LA in a really cool, fun way. Platformer-wise... well... I just got Banjo and Kazooey for XBOX360.. but so far... I'm not digging it so much. It's no Ratchet and Clank.

Anybody else diggin Midnight Club with a wheel?

-UJ
uncleJester
GLIB

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:03 pm

just started playing Mass Effect for the first time several days ago. can't beat $15 used at Gamestop. i am liking it a lot so far and i am just past the intro section and have gotten my space ship and crew assembled.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 pm

I started Persona 4 today

basicly it's like persona 3, wich i really liked, with a new setting and just minor gameplay improvements so it looks cool right now.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby ChaoticMoira on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 pm

I just recently got and tried out both GTA IV and Assassins Creed. Not sure yet which one I am gonna focus on first.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:17 pm

Oh the shame - this week I have mostly been playing 'Legends of Wrestlemania'. Is it a good game? Hell, no. The controls are heavily flawed, the gameplay is unbalanced and options are limited.

And yet......and yet.......

I still can't help getting stoned and setting up COM vs COM match between all my favourite wrestlers of bygone eras. Sun comes up.......sun goes down.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Oh the shame - this week I have mostly been playing 'Legends of Wrestlemania'. Is it a good game? Hell, no. The controls are heavily flawed, the gameplay is unbalanced and options are limited.

I still can't help getting stoned and setting up COM vs COM match between all my favourite wrestlers of bygone eras. Sun comes up.......sun goes down.

You're wrestling women who wear Rihanna type outfits I take it. I understand.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:30 pm

I have been playing Burnout Paradise City. Its was only $17 so I had to get it but everyone is already done with it so I am kinda lonely...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:Oh the shame - this week I have mostly been playing 'Legends of Wrestlemania'. Is it a good game? Hell, no. The controls are heavily flawed, the gameplay is unbalanced and options are limited.

....ella......ella......ella....eh.....eh......eh.....oh....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

....ella......ella......ella....eh.....eh......eh.....oh....

Now I got that in me bloody 'ead! Thanks a lot for coming back, Doc! :evil:

Even worse than Pirates of the Carribean.

(Plays Vanessa Hudgens to help shake it from my head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqOjhNN4hQ Oh Vanessa!! Why did you leave me as a friend on Facebook?!?!!?)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 pm

I've been playing the shit out of Team Fortress 2 for the last week or so.

& yeah, before anyone jumps in with "it's not real TF2, get STEAM" or anything, perfecting your shots on an analogue stick takes far more skill than just having a mouse with high sensitivity.

The subject of "gimped games" has been brought up multiple times lately.
Orange Box on the PS3 will never have another patch.
Orange Box on the 360 will have an update, but we'll have to pay 800ms points for (at the least)
PC gamers get monthly patches & updates, more official maps, custom maps, rebalanced classes etc. for free.

It's MS's fault that 360 users will have to pay for the update.
Electronic Arts are the reason the ps3 version will never have another update.

Sometimes it sucks to be a console gamer.
Especially if you use or browse Valve's STEAM forums.

:roll:
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:49 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:I've been playing the shit out of Team Fortress 2 for the last week or so.

Although I'm no expert on all the shiny new FPSes out there, I enjoyed the hell out of Team Fortress 2 despite consistently sucking at it... I love the cartoony aspects and the different characters. Valve should totally do a story mode of Team Fortress at some point.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:40 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:I've been playing the shit out of Team Fortress 2 for the last week or so.

Although I'm no expert on all the shiny new FPSes out there, I enjoyed the hell out of Team Fortress 2 despite consistently sucking at it... I love the cartoony aspects and the different characters. Valve should totally do a story mode of Team Fortress at some point.

They sort of have but only for each of the characters.
Meet the Sniper
Meet the scout

Admittedly a story mode could be quite fun but I think you'd lose the hardcore players, the people who were TF fans.

I'm also not very good at team fortress but I find it hard to stay angry at the game when playing. No sooner are you dead then you're back in the game. I can't stand campers though, they take up position and just sit there for hours until you haplessly walk past and bam!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:46 am

I find it hard to get pissed of when i die because the guy in the other team is trying to taunt me & rub it in, but i'm just sitting thinking "This is what an FPS by Pixar would look like."

That's one of the reasons i like TF2.
Gears looks amazing, but at the end of the day, everything is a shade of grey.
COD4 is full of hosts that kick you as soon as you shoot them, so i don't really play it that much.
HALO 3 i got rid of because i refuse to play an FPS where your health regenerates. The disk also made quite a fucking racket.
FEAR has good multiplayer, but it looses the eerie vibe that the main game has.
L4D has an interesting multiplayer vs mode, i've not played it in a while though.

I have a friend who refuses to play any FPS that isn't the original Unreal Tournament.
He even hated Quake 3 Arena & those to games only came out about a week between each other.
I tried to tell him that in the quake games, you don't run, you jump. He wasn't having any of it though.
At least, not until a few days ago, when i sent him a link to this vid.
Now he's bought the Orange Box & he'll probably hunt around for his old Q3A disk.

I had Q3 on the Dreamcast.
It was horrible.

Still, not all console FPS games have been rubbish.
Timesplitters, Goldeneye, DOOM 64, Quake & Quake 2 on the N64.
Hmm, the N64 was probably the best console for FPS games, up until the xbox 360.
The fact that you could hold the controller like a gun helped a lot.
As did Goldeneye & it's multiplayer.

Does the pc version of TF2 not have a list of goals you have to achieve in order to get the extra weapons they brought out?
It's not exactly a story mode, but you are kinda progressing as each character.

COD4 multiplayer kinda does the same thing.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:49 am

Playing Valkyria Chronicles. Supposedly one of the best games from last year. Gamestop has it for 30 dollars right now and I had a 25$ GC so I figured why the F not.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:51 am

Back in the day I bought the multi-controller extension and two more controllers for the PS2 just to play 4-player Timesplitters with my brothers. That was an awesome game, one of the best launch titles on any system EVAR! But the story mode was nigh-impossible to get through!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:07 pm

See, it's really shit that we'll never have an experience like that again.

Split screen is dead because Sony & Microsoft want to sell more consoles.

Micro Machines on the mega drive/genesis is forever linked my first memory of taking a control pad round to someone else's house to play.
Goldeneye & WCW vs NWO: Revenge on the N64 had that aspect too.
The PS2 had quite a lot of games worth buying the multitap for, especially at the start of it's life.

But now, we've gotta have four consoles & four TV's in the same room, not to mention a router or some other lan capable device if we want the same experience.

This is where i think the Wii could shine.
But they're too busy shoveling wii sports variations down people's knecks.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Are you serious? You can't do 4 players on one console anymore!? :shock: :P
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby travis-dane on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Are you serious? You can't do 4 players on one console anymore!? :shock: :P

Sure you can! RE 5 has a split screen mode and you can plAY every wrestling game with 4 players on one screen. Dont forget all the Racing and sports games.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Are you serious? You can't do 4 players on one console anymore!? :shock: :P

Not like you could back in the day.
Look on the back of your games.

I've you've got a 360, they rub it in my having the offline player amount right beside the system link player amount.
No idea what it's like on the ps3 game covers.

Out of the 20 xbox 360 games i have in front of me:
4 have 4 player offline, 2 of those are turn based only.
7 have 2 player offline.
9 have one player offline.

18 have online multiplayer or lan based multiplayer. 14 of those allow more players online or on a lan than they do offline.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 am

Well I know that I'm behind the times but I'm playing Halo 3 at the moment in Co-op with a mate online and it's really fun. Not so heavy and gritty like a lot of the FPS's these days, the light hearted action meshed with bright graphics and a control system that always pushes you forward... I really digg it. The story line doesn't really make sense but I like the epic nature of the story. Predictable character flip flops frustrate and the lack of explanation for the players who are new to the franchise seems a bit pompous but I suppose that in general it's meant to be pretty dumb. Progression of the levels is clean and interesting all though at times it feels like it's build for kids with ADD. There's eminence satisfaction in going from pounding small arms into an massive enemy then around the corner is a tank so you can show him who's boss, but it's a little erratic at times. Each objective can be approached in numerous ways and the co-op really helps with the more strategic moves (which helps as the bots are a little dumb).

I played a little bit of Multiplayer heralded as the best available on any console game and it was fun. Everyone else was way too good even though I was matched with similar ranked players, but the multiple weapons and vehicles available on most maps there's always a chance for the underdog. The maps vary from air battles in expansive and lush hillsides to melee's in decrepit tombs so you can play the game style you like best.

Really good fun, and I've only just started to play... 8.5/10

So is anyone is up for a bash... bing me.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:27 am

Does your disk make the 360 noisy as fuck?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby travis-dane on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:57 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Does your disk make the 360 noisy as fuck?

It's amazing how silent the 360 is if you install the game on your HDD. A buddy told me that it is like day and night, I did not believe him, then I tryed it with Fallout and the 360 is just like a whisper in the wind.
Thats good since the sound of an starting Airbus was a little shitty...

I am now 90 hours into Fallout 3 and I freaking love it. Great Game.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Yeah, it was only Halo 3 that gave me the problem.
Bungie themselves said that it'd run slower with the game installed,, so i never bothered.
It's sold now anyway.
Must just have been a bad disk.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:14 am

I have that problem with a few discs actually KON, as well as the 360 thinking that my game discs are video discs and not letting me play them. It seems like it's the more compressed games which make the most noise (Orange Box, Halo 3, Fallout 3) but that's just a random observation, they all seem too have they're own 'personalities'.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 am

One silver lining to only buying a 360 this year is getting to snap up a game like Bioshock for £10. And that's what I've been doing for the past 3 days.

That's all I've been doing for the past 3 days, in fact.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:02 pm

In about 10mins, I'll be playing OUTRUN ONLINE ARCADE.
It's out today on the 360 & tomorrow on the PSN (unless i've got that backwards & it was out yesterday on the PSN)

Looking forward to the soundtrack & possibly rolling the car into some palm trees.
Outrun had a brilliant soundtrack back in the day.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby instant_karma on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:27 pm

I tried Red Alert 3 on the PS3 for a couple of days. It was the first time I'd played a Command & Conquer game since the PS1 versions and the computer AI has come a long way since then. Playing against the computer on normal setting, I was getting my ass kicked.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 pm

Currently waiting on Tiger Woods 09 to finish "vectoring frown lines" or some such shit.
This face recognition thing doesn't tell you at the start that it'll take 20 mins to render you.
So you go off, take the pics, upload them to EA Gamernet, come back to the 360, select the images, move dots about to show where your eyes are & are not etc.
Then it hits you with "this'll take about 20 mins btw".
So overall, about an hour to get your face in the game.
It's worth 10 gamerscore & hours of humiliation.

If anyone can find me high res version of Mel Gibson's arrest photos, i'll give those a go instead & just shout "sugartits" down the mic at whoever i'm playing online.
It'll be worth 0 gamerscore, but endless amounts of lulz are to be had.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:22 pm

ha ha ha ha. That seems hilarious to me.

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but here you go.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0731062melmug1.jpg
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:18 am

Nearly completed Godfather 2, just 48 hours after buying it. After all the pre-release publicity, its a pretty disappointing experience :(

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:47 pm

My friend's sounds like a lawnmower turning on.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:08 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:ha ha ha ha. That seems hilarious to me.

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but here you go.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0731062melmug1.jpg

Thanks, but you need both a front on & side on pic.
Preferably high res.

I'm thinking about taking some screenshots from one of the the lethal weapon films & trying that.
It'll be bloody murder to find a shot where he looks straight into the camera though.

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:

My friend's sounds like a lawnmower turning on.

The Dreamcast has to be the loudest console ever.
I remember taking it home, unpacking it, hooking it up & turning it on.
What a fucking racket it made.
My consoles before then had been mostly cartridge or cassette based (asside from the original playstation) & i wasn't prepared for the racket it made.

Second place goes to the PS2 on laminate floor with a blue disk (CD, they dropped the gimmick when the games switched to DVD) in the tray.
Something like NHL or Age of Empires 2, even Tekken Tag Tournament. Those games made some fucking noise & the laminate just carried it round the house.
It's like, when you were a kid & used to tap the radiator. someone would come upstairs & be like "what the fuck was that?"

Still, after getting used to the Dreamcast, the PS2's noise didn't seem so bad.

But Halo 3 in the 360 was so bad i couldn't hear the fucking sound from the tv.
It would force the 360 into top position if there were any other games that made as much noise as that one.

Tried everything to baffle it.
Up verticaly, down flat, newspaper underneath, pillow case underneath (old tricks from the ps2 days), fitting foam onto the rubber bits that cover the screw holes (that stop your 360 from slipping about & making more racket).
Nothing worked.

PC's are like that too.
Especially when you're breaking in a new GFX card.
But at least they quieten once they're broken in, Halo just stagnated.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby thefraze on Tue May 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Anyone played the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game?

I played the demo and it was pretty decent, immediately a million times better than the movie - just wondering if the whole game was worth playing
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue May 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Just completed Bioshock - enjoyed the game but found the ending disappointing - it was over in 30 secs. Quick cut scene of little sisters hacking Fontaine, then splicers attacking the resucers on teh surface. I wanted more, dammit.

The next game I want to catch up on is Oblivion IV - but because of my job, I dare not play it until the summer holidays. I sense it will take over my life from the mment the wrapper comes off.

In the meantime, Lost Odyssey has caught my eye - anyone out there care to comment on it, good or bad?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue May 05, 2009 9:36 pm

I hear that it's pretty good doc, but I don't really know much more then that I'm afraid.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue May 05, 2009 9:54 pm

I heard the text is tiny & there's a lot of it, i hope you're playing it on a huge screen.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby thefraze on Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Bioshock and Fallout 3 have been the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had in years.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby BloodyBandage on Wed May 13, 2009 1:39 am

Enjoying Fallout 3, World of Warcraft, Street Fighter IV, and Mybrute :)
BloodyBandage
GLIB

Postby thefraze on Sat May 23, 2009 3:55 pm

PUNCH-OUT! on WII!
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Playing lots of Virtua Tennis 3, I love that game.
And some Halo 3.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon May 25, 2009 10:21 pm

For me it's more about waiting for Marvel Capcom 2 on the Marketplace. Can't WAIT!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby thefraze on Wed May 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Playing the Broken Steel DLC for Fallout 3, as well as Wii Fit and Punch-Out!!
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:47 am

I got TALES OF VESPERIA for Christmas and just got around to trying it out the other day. I can't say I really like it very much. It's like an interactive movie more than a game. You wander around, you have conversations, occassionally there's a fight, but the fighting isn't very fun. This could've been a game like NARUTO: RISE OF A NINJA that combines sandbox game and a fighting game without the depth of a game that is either, and I really liked NARUTO. So far, VESPERIA is just watching poorly acted scenes and pressing a button to keep the conversations going.

I'll keep playing for a bit, but I might just give up and sell it off. I know there's a new NARUTO game and I'd rather be playing that.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:21 am

Considering the parts of the series that second Naruto game is covering it should be great. Especially if they kept the drunken master bit.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm playing the shit out of the UFC: Undisputed 2009 game. It's pretty addictive, and it's a fun time. Well worth it if you like realistic fighting games.

In fact, it looks like this year might be a banner year for realistic fighting games because Fight Night Round 4 looks great as well.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:19 pm

I've been playing the Uncharted 2 closed beta a bit, EA Sports active, and Punch Out. Jam packed with gaming/fitness goodness
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:39 pm

I finally got Team Fortress 2 on steam.

I own The Orange Box for the 360 because i didn't think my computer could handle the source engine. It appears i was wrong.
Plays fine on medium settings, i was quite shocked.

Got the latest version of Gmod too, but i'm gonna have to do a lot of reading up before i delve into it.

_KON_ if anyone wants to add me.
Just don't expect me to deliver epic amounts of pwnage for a while, i'm too used to playing with the 360 controller.

King Psyz wrote:I've been playing the Uncharted 2 closed beta a bit, EA Sports active, and Punch Out. Jam packed with gaming/fitness goodness

Does Punch Out kick as much ass as the snes & nes versions?
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby thefraze on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:06 pm

King Psyz wrote:I've been playing the Uncharted 2 closed beta a bit, EA Sports active, and Punch Out. Jam packed with gaming/fitness goodness

Does Punch Out kick as much ass as the snes & nes versions?[/quote]

Punch-Out is excellent, though maybe not as memorable as the previous versions. A Ton of great characters come back like bald bull etc.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

PreviousNext

Return to Games