What Are You Playing Now?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:32 am

If you stay in the middle close to the entrance the two tentacles on the side shouldn't be able to reach you. Keep shooting at the eyeball (when you hit green slime/blood will spray). After some hits the tentacle will lower and his original body will be visible for a short time. Shoot that as long as you can and than repeat.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:57 am

I'm playing Dino Kong...
Yay!!!
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:41 pm

athenabodicea wrote:I'm playing Dino Kong...
Yay!!!

And not too little, considering the highscores.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:06 pm

I haven't been playing much of anything lately, but I had a go on MarioKart DS on Wi Fi yesterday and it was as excellent as ever.

Which reminds me: if anybody here is into MKDS, feel free to PM me with your Friend Code and I'll send you mine.

Could be fun to play a few Zoners online.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:19 pm

Oh man, I'm going to have start warming up and get some hard gaming pracise in before I start playing you guys online. My razor sharp robot reflexes might not be as razor sharp as they used to be after so long from the day to day gaming grind.

:oops: :roll:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 pm

I have been playing THE GODFATHER and it was too addictive. But I wasn't too hot at at the GTA series - though I loved em all - I never got beyond about 40% completion. I've done 98.5% on The Godfather - which utilises what feels like GTA 3's game engine. The game area is quite small and the variety of things to do are quite limited compared to GTA - but I reckon thats deliberate. The game only follows the first movie - so there's clearly a sequel on the way and you know its going to be "BIGGER! BETTER!" and so on.

But if you love the movies you will forgive this game all its sins - I loved it. Just be aware - I'm crap at these games...so if I can complete it that quickly, chances are so can a one armed foetus.

Or something.

And the replay value is virtually nil in terms of doing things differently. but then again, when missions involve taking down a whole warehouse full of whackos with none other than Sonny Corleone by your side, as voiced by Jimmy Caan - why would you WANT to do things any differently?

Now show some goddamned respect!
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:02 pm

It's not the same engine. Apparently, f you like the Godfather, you'll LOVE Mafia; City of Lost Heaven. Mafia's quite old now, but according to reviews Mafia makes a better job of feeling like the movie - even if it's not official. It's simply one of the best games I've EVER played. I want to try out The Godfather, but after that masterpiece of gaming, I'm not sure it could stand up to it.

Current games list -

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners Of The Earth - shits me up
PGR3 - slowly crawling through it
Burnout Revenge - good for blowing shit up
Oblivion - hysterically massive
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:19 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:It's not the same engine. Apparently, f you like the Godfather, you'll LOVE Mafia; City of Lost Heaven.

are you referring to the original mafia game, or is there a sequel that i wasnt aware of? because if you were talking about the first one, then i am sure to stay the fuck away from the godfather. the original mafia sucked donkey balls. well, to be fair, it was ok. but clunky controls, endless load times, and just a poor port in general had me firmly planted in the "no way im ever buying this" camp.
hence my interest in the possibility of a sequel. who knows, maybe they got it right.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:24 pm

Brocktune wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:It's not the same engine. Apparently, f you like the Godfather, you'll LOVE Mafia; City of Lost Heaven.

are you referring to the original mafia game, or is there a sequel that i wasnt aware of? because if you were talking about the first one, then i am sure to stay the fuck away from the godfather. the original mafia sucked donkey balls. well, to be fair, it was ok. but clunky controls, endless load times, and just a poor port in general had me firmly planted in the "no way im ever buying this" camp.
hence my interest in the possibility of a sequel. who knows, maybe they got it right.

I agree. The game was Ok but the load times and the camera drove me nuts!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Right now I'm replaying TENCHU: Fatal Shadows in order
to get Grand Master on Every! F*cking! SCREEN!!!

I have ninja induced OCD. Must be perfect. Must be perfect.
Everyone stealth killed. EVERYONE!!!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:34 pm

I just played the new Tomb Raider Demo and it seems alright. Much better then the last one..
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:43 pm

Ah, I played Mafia on what was then a pretty high-end upgraded PC rig. The console version was shit, so I heard - the PC version is a classic.

The new TR is awesome.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:48 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Ah, I played Mafia on what was then a pretty high-end upgraded PC rig. The console version was shit, so I heard - the PC version is a classic.

ahso! im sure the pc version was way better.

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Right now I'm replaying TENCHU: Fatal Shadows in order

you are a far more talented and skilled individual than i, if you can do it. i loved the first tenchu on psx. even though the only level i could get grand master on was the first one, and the only way i could complete the game, was to enter cheat codes (generally something i loathe and avoid). i was always in search of the animation that features you snapping thier neck and back and legs from behind. man was that awesome. there are few games that i love so dearly, while sucking so bad at them. tenchu is certainly one of them.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:00 pm

Brocktune wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Right now I'm replaying TENCHU: Fatal Shadows in order

you are a far more talented and skilled individual than i, if you can do it. i loved the first tenchu on psx. even though the only level i could get grand master on was the first one, and the only way i could complete the game, was to enter cheat codes (generally something i loathe and avoid). i was always in search of the animation that features you snapping thier neck and back and legs from behind. man was that awesome. there are few games that i love so dearly, while sucking so bad at them. tenchu is certainly one of them.

Oh man, you should see the animations on the PS2 games; especially
the ones with Ayame, the hot chick ninja... HOT!

try out TENCHU: Wrath of Heaven; its the first one for the PS2 and
it's easily one of my favorite games of all time. Fatal Shadows is
cool too, but Wrath of Heaven had a much cooler overall story...

Its still enjoyable even if you aren't a perfectionist psychopath like
me who needs to know he is THE GRAND MASTER!!!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:42 am

You'd better not get a 360... simply put, many games link up to Xbox Live (free, silver service) and RANK you against world players. PGR3 is really guilty of this. You think you've done well, then it flashes up the leaderboard scores and runs down to 358th or something for your comfy ass to sit. Still, freakin' addictive. Burnout does this too.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:27 am

Currently playing Devil May Cry 3:SE. It's freakin' badass! I can't wait to play as Virgil. I never bought the original version of DMC3, so I didn't get double dipped on this one.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:49 am

I just finished Prince of Persia the Sands of Time.....I know I am behind the curve.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:05 am

Oblivion... must eat...and sleep... no....Tamriel is...too cool.... *passes out*
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby wonkabar on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:58 am

I thought I'd go ahead and finish up Fable. I know that sounds funny cuz it's such a short game, but I got about half way through when it came out and just put it off.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Petri on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:33 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I just finished Prince of Persia the Sands of Time.....I know I am behind the curve.

I love that game. Good choice.

I'm currently playing GTA: San Andreas ($10 at target baby, woo hoo!) and Ultimate Spiderman which I love so very much.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby King Psyz on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:37 pm

you know, I had no intrest in ultimate spiderman until I saw a rundown on G4 yesterday. I'll have to check it out.

I just finished Kingdom Hearts 2, only got 94% finished cause I was getting antsy to see the end and I already got myself up to level 99. What an amazing story, not sure if it was done form the begining as a two parter but after seeing the two an overall epic tale.

Next is the Tomb Raider game, just got it in the mail so should start that tonight (gotta wait for the girlfriend)
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Petri on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:49 pm

Check Ultimate Spiderman. I especially like playing as Venom.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:54 pm

I've been playing Lightning Pool for the past three days at work. It's been INCREDIBLY slow, and this pass the time quite nicely.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:08 pm

I've heard Tomb Raider Legend is pretty great. The graphics and such look amazing, and I've heard they've refined all the cold control issues.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:10 pm

OK I have been wanting to pick up a new game for the PS2 this weekend and have been thinking of either BLACK or Tomb Radier Legend...does anyone here have an arguement on either? Is there a new release I am missing?
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:51 pm

I heard Black kicked ass, but got a little repetitive. I've played TR:L (for the 360) and it was solid. I imagine the PS2 version is too.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Oni on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:19 am

I haven't played black yet. I'm interested in it, but only as a rental.
We just got Beatmania with the keyboard/scratch peripheral. I've been trying to get decent with that. No luck yet, though. I have no sense of rhythm.
I also just bought Daxter on PSP. It's hella solid. Great game, especially for a handheld game. I'm waiting on an animated dvd based on Jak & Daxter's Trilogy with a demo for JakX on it. The contest, which I found over google, is over in a few days, so winners should recieve their dvd discs soon. Hope I'm one of them.
I bought Super Princess Peach for DS, but I'm about to return it. I didn't bother opening it after taking a better look at the back. I just bought it on impulse and because it was 5 dollars off. I can use that money for something better, though. I haven't touched my DS in nearly half a year.
Oni
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:41 am

TRL for PS2 looks really good on the hardware it's running on. The differences between it and the 360 version are really only superficial.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:11 pm

wonkabar wrote:I thought I'd go ahead and finish up Fable. I know that sounds funny cuz it's such a short game, but I got about half way through when it came out and just put it off.

Ha - this made me laugh - its happened to me twice now with Fable. I don't think I even get halfway there - its just after the whole Bandit Camp showdown. Pretty poor showing on my part - and I can't explain it - I like the game, just hit a big studly MEH whenever I try to lose myself in it.

Had something similar with GUN as well, but I finally gave it a go and got right to the end where yet another Boss-Level inspired MEH appears. So, because I just can't bothered to get THAT angry whilst slowly figuring out how - what is the achilles heel for the final bad guy? bullets? no... though a couple of times he did take damage from dropped dynamite....its not another of those is it?

BAH! fie to you GUN, FIE I say....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:21 pm

last week i pulled out my "Thief:Dark Shadows" game for X-Box and decided to finish it off. i had gotten stuck a while back on a particular lengthy mission and then lost all progress when i had to take in my X-Box for a little tweaking. anyway, i had to start over from the beginning, but was able to zip through the parts i had already completed without too much trouble and ended up back where i left off in better shape than i was to begin with. then i figured out how to complete the previously confounding mission(it was one of the embarrassingly simple solutions), and finished the game off within the following couple of days. great game, and as the credits rolled i was whishing there was a sequel i could go out and get to continue the experience.

i have loved all three Thief games so far, (the first two are only available for PC) though the final mission on the second one was laboriously lengthy and difficult. the art and sound design, voicework, and story are really superb and unique and imo lend themselves more to a good cinematic adaptation than any other game-to-screen movies i have seen made so far. for any gamers who enjoy a good adventure/stealth game, the Thief series is about as good as it gets.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:11 pm

I'm playing SimCity 3000 (I have SimCity 4, but it's rather graphics heavy and my PC is a bit old). This is one of those games where hours can pass by without you even knowing it.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Brocktune on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:54 pm

right now, i am in the middle of 3 games:
kuon
silent hill 2
kingdom hearts 1.

you know i never thought they would come out with a ps2 game, where you play as isuzu yamada from "Throne of Blood". and then came "kuon".
this is the kind of shit that makes a king feel like some nutty cuckoo super king.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:01 pm

I am currently playing Luigi's Mansion.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby zarandi on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:08 pm

Um, Resident Evil 2 and 4.

God of War

Counterstrike: Source

GTA: San Andreas

but mostly films =D
zarandi
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby austenandrews on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:17 pm

I don't play games, but I bought a copy of Silent Hill 2 as a runup to the film. I didn't get it to run until after I saw the flick. It's a fun game so far. (I play it on Beginner level so my appreciation of the design work is not detracted by pointless shooting of endlessly-repeated animated creatures.)
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:17 pm

I'm playing with my Wii.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby rserocki on Wed May 10, 2006 1:16 pm

The last games I bought were Suikoden V and Tomb Raider Legend. I thought TRL was okay, but I found I missed the atmosphere from most of the levels of the first game, which conveyed more of a sense of aloneness. Although Suikoden V and TR Legend can't be compared well since they're in different genres, I'll still say that I enjoyed Suikoden V more, which also cost less. I found Suikoden IV to be mediocre.
rserocki
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 10, 2006 2:47 pm

I am late to the game, I know, but my girl got me KOTOR for the ole' b-day; I am loving the fuck out of it.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Shouldn't you be loving the fuck out of her?

OK, that was tactless...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 10, 2006 2:57 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Shouldn't you be loving the fuck out of her?

OK, that was tactless...

no, she is pissed; a game this great means she gets very little attention lately. This leads to tantrums being thrown (her), and not-giving-a-shit about it (me)
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Wed May 10, 2006 4:02 pm

Gamecube:
Resident Evil 4
NAMCO Classics

DS:
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Battles of Prince of Persia

PS2:
Dragon Quest VIII
GTA San Andreas

XBox:
SW Battlefront II
Halo 2
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MadCapsule on Wed May 10, 2006 4:16 pm

I just finished Black. Boy, that game was short! I didn't think that the PS2 could run graphics like that so smoothly. There were a few times where a section of the screen was a little shakey and I think I only experienced slow-down onnce or twice. Honestly though, I've grown a bit tired of FPS games.

I'm also giving Psi-Ops a whirl. It's a decent game so far. The ragdoll physics in it are quite amusing: you can kick dead bodies and they flop around appropriately.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 10, 2006 4:45 pm

I'm replaying Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory. There's something so finely tuned about that game that makes it a real joy to go through again. Playing with the minds of beings lesser than you probably has a lot to do with it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Wed May 10, 2006 4:52 pm

MadCapsule wrote: Honestly though, I've grown a bit tired of FPS games.

Every time I feel that way, I pop in the old <b>Doom</b> and the feeling disappears. I guess I'm a sucker for the oldies...
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon May 22, 2006 9:22 am

I bought Professor Kawashima's Brain Training at the weekend, and I am now trying to do something about the fact that I have a brain age of 52!!!

However, I was pleased that I seem to have a talent for the "High to Low" game!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon May 22, 2006 9:58 am

I am replaying MGS the Twin Snakes on my Gamecube. Someday I should pick up a cheap PS2 just to play MGS2 and MGS3 since I have yet to play either.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue May 23, 2006 12:51 pm

I bought the Silent Hill Collection today (containing parts 2, 3 and 4) and now I'm looking forward to some sleepness nights.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Logan5 on Tue May 23, 2006 12:59 pm

I've been playing Animal Crossing: Wild World off and on now the last month.
Playing Battalion Wars, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Gotcha Force, Odama, FIFA World Cup 2006 (Vanuatu for champions!) on my GC.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MadCapsule on Wed May 24, 2006 1:32 pm

I started p;aying Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence last night. I never played the original MGS3, so it's all new to me (Hurray for not getting double-dipped!).

I figure I'll play the single player part all the way through before I try the online mode.

Possible SPOILER ALERT!!!!

No wonder Revovler Ocelot hated Snake so much in the other MGS games! He got his ass PWNT by Snake somethin' ugly!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed May 24, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm playing X-Men II:Rise of the Apocalypse. I enjoyed the first X-Men Legends game (prob woulda enjoyed it even more if I hadn't had to spend it as a coming-of-age-teen-mutie-girls-first-day-on-campus thing. I like Iceman - but not THAT much!).

Apart from the fact it was yet another game that asked over twenty hours of me only to present me with such an anger-inducing final boss level that I doubt I'll ever see the end of it (anyone offer any answers? I just get creamed by scorpion sentinels whilst running around making things change colour with seemingly no effect....).

The sequel I'm not quite so smitten with......the action is still undemanding basic fun - but I have no quibble with that....and the chance to run around as some of the Brotherhood is very welcome.....but I seem to be spending half my effing gametime squinting and reading insurmountable amounts of detail on dozens and dozens of different equipment. stashing some, selling others, invariably taking the wrong option on both.

Man, I feel like I'm playing ELITE without a spaceship.......

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Games