What Are You Playing Now?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby thefriscokid on Wed May 31, 2006 1:59 pm

bf2 for the pc and table tennis for the 360
thefriscokid
GLIB

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:48 pm

Dug out my N64 today...........ut felt soooo good to play some classics on it.

Spent a couple of hours wiping the floor with Paplazeru at MarioKart, then he claimed back a big chunk of dignity as he shoved grenades up my ass in Goldeneye..........A fun day!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:58 pm

Maybe it's some weird nostalgic instinct that's kicking in just before all the big Next Generation Consoles © hit us, but I'm doing the same thing as Lugz. Not with the N64 though, because I sold it on the cheap to a homeless guy who wanted to give his children a Christmas present, but I've been playing a few old PS1 games. The least dated of them all is probably Final Fantasy VII. I don't know if you're aware of this, but some copies of that are going for up to $100, probably based on the Final Fantasy Advent thing. The game's still as good as ever, and probably even better than I remember it. I love those old RPGs, there's just something ageless about them, and FFVII in particular, it's probably as edgy as mainstream RPG's will ever get. I bet if you went back you'd be surprised at just how serious a case of Tourettes Barrett has.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:59 pm

You sold it to a homeless guy? Cold, man... just cold.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:01 pm

ON THE CHEAP! Probably for around 15 quid with a couple games. That's a steal, I could sell it on e-bay for at least 17.

ERM, let's just say I took money off a bum to keep his dignity intact. Yeah, I'm standing by that.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:05 pm

Been playing Metroid Prime: Hunters most of the weekend. My arms hurt, but it has all been worth it - absolutely awesome game, and it has restored my faith in the FPS, at least temporarily. I've also managed to get my "brain age" down to 23, which was nice. I'm still hammering Animal Crossing: Wild World too! (today is Camofrog's birthday, everybody! :grin:)

I'm starting an NDS thread - can't believe we don't have one yet!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:11 pm

Just completed Hitman blood money over the weekend. Great game with amazing replay value. I just want to complete levels over and over with greater efficiency. Nice design, and some cool as hell visuals.

A level in New Orleans during mardi gras is astonishing for the amount of revellers in the streets. Blaady Thaaasands of em! To coin a phrase.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:05 am

I picked up Dragonquest VIII (I think it's VIII the number has been dropped in Germany because the previous ones weren't released) and I'm a complete sucker for the Akira Toryama designs. My favourite is a monster that is made of two paprika peppers on a skewer.

Again I have small gripes with the controlls and the menu, wich seems to be the rule rather than the exception lately, but it's not as bad as Kiingdom Hearts wich really angered me.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby EWS on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:16 am

Currently playing through Tomb Raider: Legends, PES 5 and Monster Hunter: Freedom for the PSP.

All very good games, and highly recommended, especially TR:L. Back to form it is;

As for MH, a few camera problems, and a slow start-up leave people not wanting to play it through, but stick with it and it turns into a glorius game with great graphics. Just wait until to see the Wyvern in all it's glory.

PES 5 is your standard Konami Football game. Solid, fun and exciting. However, noticed a bit of slowdown every now and then, and like the other games the difficulty is rather off. 2 stars and it is too easy, 3 stars and it is too hard.

Tomb Raider: Legends - As said a return to form. Camera handles well, Lara handles well and she looks great. Skins and textures top knoch. Only problem is the motercycle sections. The handeling is rather difficult, and it's a bit poor to be honest. However, only a small problem, and there are few sections like that in the game. They have also introduced something akin to RE-4, and that is the RTE, or Real Time Events, where something happens to Lara and you have to react by pressing buttons. Definatly worth a buy.
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Scroo on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am

I'm still playing UT2004, with a bit of GRAW and BF2 every now and then.
Just finished the last Tomb Raider game..... that was way to easy.
uhm.... yeah
Scroo
GLIB

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Just playing and completed Prey, in the space of 5 hours. Fun while it lasted but ultimately short lived and stupid.

MY current games are...
in order of preference....

HL2 (including CS:Source).
Morrowind & Oblivion (never leave my computer)
Hitman Blood money
Battlefront 2 (Crap level design and hitbox lag)
X3 Reunion
Discworld Noir
Grim Fandango
Monkey Island 1 & 2
Worms Armageddon
Stubbs the Zombie (Best in game speech ever)
Doom 3
Prince of Persia: 2 thrones (completed, bored of it)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby mister six on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:21 pm

Still playing mainly COD2 multiplayer - new maps are appearing every week which helps.
Bought Far Cry a few weeks ago, but I'm stuck with few wpns and little health so I guess I'll go back to it in a week or so.
I was interested in playing Cold Winter (scripted by Warren Ellis) - anyone played it...?
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:20 pm

Champions of Krynn,an AD&D game from 1990. I always wanted to play the Krynn series when it was new and I was ten but never got round to it.

I have no problem with the extremly dated graphics or gameplay but for some reason it seems awfully hard, I needed more than a dozen attempts to survive the first fight.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bean on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:24 pm

I think I'm going to start playing Knights of the Old Republic again, or I might run out and buy the 2nd one, I saw it used for ten bucks. Has anyone played this game, is it worth it?
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:29 pm

Bean wrote:I think I'm going to start playing Knights of the Old Republic again, or I might run out and buy the 2nd one, I saw it used for ten bucks. Has anyone played this game, is it worth it?

Its as good as the first one. If you liked that one you will like the other
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RockyDennis on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:31 pm

Yeah,

KOTOR2 is pretty good. It's shorter and the story isn't as great, but its still a pretty good game.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:29 pm

Well, I just finished Prey after about 3 days of on/off playing and through the fuzz of flu. As a game, it had some sparks of ingenuity and the design had flashes of genius, but it never really gelled all that well. The bad guy designs were very generic, the backgrounds well made, but it had an aura of "seen it all before".

Again the game industry thinks it's making movies. The ingame cutscenes, particularly at the start, are really, REALLY badly paced and appallingly animated. The characters straddle the line between cartoony and realistic without committing to either, plus the main actors voiceover is horrendously overbaked to the point of unintentional hilarity. But the backgrounds pull it together (aside from the desert scenes) and the music from Jeremy Soule is epic.

I don't know... the games industry fucking annoys me sometimes. It's quite obvious that games like Prey are struggling to be an equivalent to a good action movie, but their content outside of the games themselves are never good enough. I know why too. I recently learnt that a respected games company assigned a sound man to direct the cutscenes.

Think on that a bit and come back later to join me in a collective WTF?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:32 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Well, I just finished Prey after about 3 days of on/off playing and through the fuzz of flu. As a game, it had some sparks of ingenuity and the design had flashes of genius, but it never really gelled all that well. The bad guy designs were very generic, the backgrounds well made, but it had an aura of "seen it all before".

Again the game industry thinks it's making movies. The ingame cutscenes, particularly at the start, are really, REALLY badly paced and appallingly animated. The characters straddle the line between cartoony and realistic without committing to either, plus the main actors voiceover is horrendously overbaked to the point of unintentional hilarity. But the backgrounds pull it together (aside from the desert scenes) and the music from Jeremy Soule is epic.

I don't know... the games industry fucking annoys me sometimes. It's quite obvious that games like Prey are struggling to be an equivalent to a good action movie, but their content outside of the games themselves are never good enough. I know why too. I recently learnt that a respected games company assigned a sound man to direct the cutscenes.

everbody wants to direct, dude. :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:53 pm

But the point is... direction isn't something you just do. It's something that takes time to learn. Screen direction, beyond directing a team of people to create a vision, seems to be applied so liberally in the games industry, it's like they don't even give a shit.

Seeing as games are increasingly attempting to become more filmlike, this sloppy attitude means they'll be looked down upon even more.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:09 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I recently learnt that a respected games company assigned a sound man to direct the cutscenes.

*Say it with Atomic*

WTF?

That's pretty depressing to hear, man. My friend who is paying me a visit right now and also played Prey said your summary was pretty spot-on. I actually don't mind cut-scenes if they are done well. Problem is, they never are!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:50 pm

Some cutscenes are great though, and some cutscenes add to the
movieness of the games; RESIDENT EVIL 4 and the entire METAL GEAR
SOLID series come to mind... oh, then theres stuff like SHADOW OF THE
COLLOSUS which is easily one of the most beautiful games I have ever
played in my life. If the end of that game doesn't make your soul ache with
sadness (and a melancholy hope), nothing will...

Then again, some cutscenes are so awful it hurts. Anyone unlucky enough
to suffer through the godawful X3 videogame spinoff knows what I'm talking
about.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:05 pm

ZZS, look back across your post. Think carefully. What do those three games have in common?

Teams that care. And above all, they're Japanese. The Japanese have always shown an innate understanding of the importance of storytelling within games. Unfortunately, seeing as the storytellers themselves come from a games universe, they're still pretty undeveloped in terms of depth. MGS essentially, as a movie, couldn't work - it's overlong, self important and aggrandizing. But as part of the game, it worked even if the game took a back seat. The point is though, is that it was treated with CARE. Same goes for RE4, which knew exactly what it was from beginning to end. Shadow of the Collossus made no attempt at story and achieved emotion through resonance... the player became part of the world because there was no attempt at anything other than light characterisation, and this worked by creating an oblique gameworld where the design was deliberately created to affect sadness.

The direction in all is pretty "ok" compared to movies. The best direction out of Japan comes out of Square/Enix, who employ movie artists to help envision their wondrous animations.

The majority of western games, however, don't actually recognise the importance of doing it properly, or are too naive to truly understand the importance of already structured practices.

For more, click on my sig to my blog and scroll down to "my issues with the interactive entertainment industry". I'll be following it up pretty soon.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:21 pm

Oh yeah, I mostly agree with what you're saying (especially in terms of
CARE being an important element, and the fact that Japanese game
designers are the kings of the industry; really, basically the Japanese
pwn everyone in terms of the visual mediums; even if, as you say, some
of the stuff can be outrageously self-important and pretensious (not to
mention silly -- like MGS) in terms of story and dialogue, the visuals are
almost always perfect; ranging from achingly, hauntingly, beautiful to
terrifying), but from what you wrote above I thought you were saying
that all cutscenes are terrible across the board regardless...

My honest opinion is that eventually games will become so advanced that
they will all but replace action movies completely. Why sit through
another groaner from (insert name of whoreywood action-hack here)
when you can control the action and be the hero? Even the most retardo
Michael Bay movie, I reckon, would be fun to play; purely in terms of
action and spectacle (even if the story is, for lack of a better word,
ALF).
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Problem is most hacks can still direct far better than any games designer. And until games companies realise that their sound designer isn't a director, or their lead designer isn't a writer, or that their drafted in author isn't a scriptwriter, games will always take a backseat - maybe not monetarily, but in terms of artistry.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:57 am

I just started my 352nd attempt to finish Koudelka, an old PS1 horror RPG.

I like the bits of backstory that appear from time to time (basically its about a 19th century haunted monastry that has been used as a prison)
especially the cut scenes involving the ghost of a little girl, but the gameplay is somewhat tiresome, for the lack of a better word.

I'm not sure but that might be the reason why I never played it through before.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:53 am

KILLER 7

This may very well be the most deranged and disturbing game I have ever
played. And it's fucking BRILLIANT! Straight up on the transgressive tip;
surreality a go-go!, and bloody as all hell-get-out!

Imagine if Takashii Miike, David Cronenberg, and David Lynch got together
to make a horror-film-noir and you get the picture.

Picked it up for $10 at GameStop. Get it. Don't even question it, just get
it. I think KeepCool and Brocktune would especially dig it; we seem to
have similar tastes in entertainment; enterderangement.

Get it.

ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Petri on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:13 am

I gave in. I beat the original Halo on the PC and swore I'd never play Halo 2 until they put it on the PC because I hate aiming with the stupid joystick. Well I couldn't take it anymore, I just started Halo 2 for the first time this week and it's a really good game (just a bit easy so far)
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby moose4787 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:56 am

Im playing Dead Rising and its the best game around for 360, i just cant get enough of zombie bashing, its what the evil dead games should have been.
Xbox live profile: Moose4787
moose4787
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby rserocki on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:39 pm

I pre-ordered Disgaea 2 about a month ago and now that it's out, I've stayed up until about 2 am a couple times, playing the thing.
rserocki
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:05 pm

I'm playing the original Discworld game. Love my adventures, but somehow missed out on this one back in the day. Seems pretty good so far, and as adventures go, hasn't really dated. The thing I really love about these games is the amount of research that go into them. They really can be a great learning resource. One day they'll rise above the ashes of the FPS, and once again rule my world.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Al Shut on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:54 am

I strongly disliked the Discworld game. That kind of dialouge isn't meant for voice acting and it started to very strongly annoy me.

Plus I don't find Discworld to be that funny in the first place and the riddles all seemed illogical and thus to hard to me.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:36 am

i played Discworld back when i owned a Sega Saturn. good times.

i have been playing "The Godfather" on X-Box the last couple weeks, and would give it a 9 out of 10 rating. a few camera angle issues here and there, but overall a really sweet game and lots of bang for your buck with replay value, imo.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:41 am

I've been going through Oblivion at a steady pace, it's fantastic even many months since release! Getting bored of my straight fighter... now I'm training up a Necromancer/hunter type. Aces!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:49 am

Oblivion was stealing my soul, so I stopped playing. Perhaps, when I have more time on my hands, I'll resume. Games do not come much more kick ass than that. Games where you can lose yourself for literally hours just admiring the scenery whilst riding a horse.

As for Discworld, man, that dialogue was MADE to be spoken. When uttered by Eric Idle in the first, you can but pampilash, but when uttered by Rob Brydon in Discworld Noir, you can but ISOMDILASH and bathe in its pathos.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby moose4787 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:55 am

Started playing saints row over the weekend. Its nothing special, no GTA by far. Overall entertaing, my biggest gripe against it is that there is really no easy way to get anywhere in the city. In GTA you cound cut across farms and through allys. Here there is really no option to do that. Oh well. Still fun shooting stuff and hitting it with the car.
Xbox live profile: Moose4787
moose4787
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:56 am

magicmonkey wrote:Oblivion was stealing my soul, so I stopped playing. Perhaps, when I have more time on my hands, I'll resume. Games do not come much more kick ass than that. Games where you can lose yourself for literally hours just admiring the scenery whilst riding a horse.

As for Discworld, man, that dialogue was MADE to be spoken. When uttered by Eric Idle in the first, you can but pampilash, but when uttered by Rob Brydon in Discworld Noir, you can but ISOMDILASH and bathe in its pathos.

i wish they would make some games like the Discworld games for the X-Box. there was anopther game i had, for my Saturn or Playstation, can't remember, that had the same feel, humor, and style as Discworld, called Dragon...something.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:50 am

magicmonkey wrote: As for Discworld, man, that dialogue was MADE to be spoken. When uttered by Eric Idle in the first, you can but pampilash, but when uttered by Rob Brydon in Discworld Noir, you can but ISOMDILASH and bathe in its pathos.

I wonder if I would have liked the game more with the original voices but I can't imgine it. Sure the guy that does the german voice of Tom hanks is ni Eric Idle but he ain't totaly bad either.

Personaly I found Broken Sword, which was released around the same time as the first Discworld (or at least I bought it around the same time) to be much more pampworthy.

'Don't shoot, I'm American'

'Can't you decide for one?'
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:53 am

Cheers for the tip Al, I never checked out the Broken Sword games, the interface seemed a little clunky to me at the time, and I remember a mate really enjoyed it. Still, nows a fine time to revisit, especially considering it spawned, what, two sequels?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Al Shut on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:12 pm

I think a third sequel was recently or is soon to be released.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: Fun Game

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:25 pm

Pissed-Off Crawdad wrote:Yeah, Destroy All Humans is pretty damn fun. It didn't last as long as I had hoped, though; for some reason, once you've beaten it, going around and killing all of the helpless humans loses some of its flavor. I thought it would hold my attention for quite a while, but sadly, there's only so much you can do with those powers. I still love throwing around tanks and giant robots with my mind, though.

After that, I got the new Conker, but I was a little bit disappointed; they actually censored the single player mode MORE on the Xbox than on the N64. And maybe it's just me, but the online just isn't any fun. Right now, though, I'm replaying the Metal Gear Solid series; I just finished 2 last night, and it made a little bit more sense having played 3. But other than that, there's not much coming out this summer, so I'm going to try to focus on movies instead.

Ive been playing Conker as well. Its quite funny even with the censorship and all. That pitchfork hanging itself was so wrong!
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby zarandi on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:44 pm

I have been playing Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (or winning eleven for you guys in states).

Also been tryin my hand to some old ps1 games like Jersey Devil, which has the best soundtrack ever, and some great Tex Avary style designs.

I am desperate to play Resident Evil 3 again. Haven't played that since it came out.
zarandi
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:58 pm

I'm playing the spoons RIGHT NOW. Roll out the Barrel, knees up mother brown, Doing the Lambeth walk, and all other classics you would associate with a man of my pearly kingness.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 pm

Table Tennis on the 360 is kind of addictive.

How can a table tennis game be this good? It's something to do with the way you control it - that vibration thing when you do a smash is nuts. Awesome game.

ETA:

thebostonlocksmith wrote:I'm playing the spoons RIGHT NOW. Roll out the Barrel, knees up mother brown, Doing the Lambeth walk, and all other classics you would associate with a man of my pearly kingness.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Is it the X-box version or the PS2 version?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:37 pm

It's only on the master system, it's a bit of a button burner but i like it. 'Peggy Mitchell's Urban Spoons'.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:40 pm

X-Men Legend II: Rise of Apocalypse.... on "hard". I'm hoping that the final unlockable charatcer is Archangel otherwise all this collecting and selling X-uniforms my characters keep picking up has been for nought...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:08 am

I'm playing Lego Star Wars 2: The Original Trilogy on the 360.

IT'S AMAZING.

It's like Christmas and Birthdays wrapped into one, and I'm 29 for fucks sake! It's a slice of gaming heaven with your favourite childhood sauces.

That sounds all kinds of wrong.

Anyhoo, it's just SO GOOD. It plays smoothly, looks fucking genius (the graphics aren't TECHNICALLY AMAZING but they ARE AMAZING, there's a dif') and the cutscenes are brilliant. I love the chase through the asteroids with the Millenium Falcon!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:54 am

I'm now touching myself thanks to late-late-late birthday money over Dead Rising and Test Drive Unlimited...

Considering I've not bought a game since Oblivion, I'm now a busy boy!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:56 pm

I'm back to playing Forza Motorsports on my Xbox
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:17 am

Since no one has posted here in a while I shall. Im playing Test Drive Unlimited, which is one heck of an awsome game. I also got Uno for XBL, again, totally awsome.
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mr. Hyde on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:50 am

I play a LOT of world of Warcraft.. i just got to lvl 60.. so now i'm just getting uber badass.. the games horribly addcitve. Anyone see the southpark premiere? Hilarious.. everyone on my server was yelling to watch it.. i bet there ratings were through the roof that night..

<-- Kakihara (Ichi the Killer anyone?)
Sever: Lightning Blade
Lvl 60 Hunter

If anyone wants to run some shit sometime.. pst..
Mr. Hyde
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Games