City of Heroes

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

City of Heroes

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:08 pm

Any City of Heroes players out there? I mainly play on the Triumph server as a character named Big Red. Let me know if you are out there.

If you don't know about the game, check it out at coh.com.
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:15 pm

Hey, the Dino, he a play that a game a too! I canna remember right a now onna which a server, it's a the Virtue or a the Victory, anna I'm a the science Tank... level 20 stone/stone... code-a-name Groovy Golem.
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:57 pm

Excellent. My global handle is Big Red1. Find out what server you are on!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:40 pm

OK, I'm onna the Virtue server.
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:02 pm

I'll be looking for you. Heh. Groovy Golem.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:56 am

Hehe... they release a the "Issue 5" last a night, eh? Now with a the archery anna sonic powers anna whole bunch of a the changes, eh?
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:12 am

ARGH! Why tempt me, foul italian! In three weeks I am going to sign on and beat your level whatever The Dino to a bloody stain with my Tank.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:18 am

Most likely... I only took a him to about level 2 or a 3... I basically just ran around wondering iffa you would a log on anna we'd bump inna to each other...
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:19 am

LOL I am so sorry. Really I totally want to play, but until 9-22, I just can't. When I do sign on, I will make sure its with someone lower level so we can go and kick some Hellion ass.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:23 am

They changed a the Hellions a little bit, eh? The are alla inna to arson now, anna they are trying to a burn a the city down... new events... check outta the COH update page for a the new info.
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:24 am

This game out on the mac? I been hearing about it for a while now.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:27 am

No clue... check outta the homepage:

http://www.coh.com
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:34 am

No Mac.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:53 pm

Is there player vs. player fighting in the game or is it just fighting against NPC's?

I have a friend who is thoroughly addicted to this game. Is "City of Villains" out yet? I'd heard something about that a while back.

I finally have a graphics card in my computer that allows it to render images that are more complex than stick figures, so I'm just now getting caught up on some gaming. Been playing Battlefield 2 alot online.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:56 pm

They have PvP arenas. At this point, you just can't walk up to another hero and blast him. I am sure there will be PvP servers when City of Villains comes around, which will either be late this year or early next.

I should warn you though, the Arenas are always empty. The game is fun enough without fighting other players, and some powers (such as flight) make PvP really difficult.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:59 pm

what's the subscription fee?

That's my issue with MMORPG's (I've never, ever played one, probably the only geek in history who hasn't), the fact that I have to pay a monthly fee kinda pisses me off. From what I've heard about CoH and WoW, though, I may have to get past my cheap nature and give it a shot.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:07 pm

14.95, I think. You can also just buy a subscription card if you just want to give it a go for three months.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:11 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:14.95, I think. You can also just buy a subscription card if you just want to give it a go for three months.


good idea, maybe I'll give that a shot. Maybe I'll see you in there Burl, I'll be the guy running into walls.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:19 pm

Triumph server. Buddy List a guy named BIG RED.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:58 pm

OK myfriends so I now play City of Villians. I am a mastermind with Ninjas! My name is Misstep. So hit me up or join my super villian group
Image
Image
User avatar
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:26 am
Location: Mississippi State University...its not so bad

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:59 pm

What server are you on?
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:OK myfriends so I now play City of Villians. I am a mastermind with Ninjas! My name is Misstep. So hit me up or join my super villian group


I bought City of Heroes a while ago, and I should finally have some time in January to give it a go.
I look forward to battling your ninjas, sir!
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby sitnspin on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:20 pm

I got it last year and played for a month solid, and then got really bored and never recovered. There wasn't enough variety to the missions, and I got frustrated with being able to solo an entire mission (carefully) and then running into a boss at the end who could kill me in two hits. What's the point of that? Either it's a mission you can solo or it isn't. I met a handful of really nice people, but i also ran into a bunch of whiny brats (but that's an MMORPG for you). I love the concept, but I'm drawn to MMO's where you can do more than just fight, fight, fight.

Played SWG for a few months this summer, but I'm a full-time student so when the year started I was way too busy.
sitnspin
GLIB
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:24 am
Location: Toronto

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:08 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
Coldfire24 wrote:OK myfriends so I now play City of Villians. I am a mastermind with Ninjas! My name is Misstep. So hit me up or join my super villian group


I bought City of Heroes a while ago, and I should finally have some time in January to give it a go.
I look forward to battling your ninjas, sir!


Are you on Garbage Man?
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Kilgore on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:59 pm

Burl, are you still playing on Triumph primarily? And what of The Dino...I've got the most work done on a guy on Liberty, but I've got characters on most of them...

And did you upgrade to City of Villains?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:08 pm

Kilgore wrote:Burl, are you still playing on Triumph primarily? And what of The Dino...I've got the most work done on a guy on Liberty, but I've got characters on most of them...

And did you upgrade to City of Villains?


I have a character on just about every server, but the only ones of any consequence are on Triumph.

And yeah, I upgraded to CoV... it's just about all I have been playing!
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Kilgore on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 pm

I'll have to see who I can build up on Triumph...since I only got Villains a month or so ago, it's not like any of my characters there are beyond level 4 anyway...I'll keep an eye out for you.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:25 pm

I have one level 4 (Sea Blazer), one level 8 (Big Top Bill), one level 10 (Backwoods) and one level 12 or 13 (Sinisteria).
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:42 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:
Coldfire24 wrote:OK myfriends so I now play City of Villians. I am a mastermind with Ninjas! My name is Misstep. So hit me up or join my super villian group


I bought City of Heroes a while ago, and I should finally have some time in January to give it a go.
I look forward to battling your ninjas, sir!


Are you on Garbage Man?


I'm afraid I'm full of lies... lies, and delicious brownies.... mmmMmmm...

I haven't even installed the game yet, and my wireless connection at my current abode being complete shit at best, I doubt I'll be on at all. Sorry!
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:47 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:
Coldfire24 wrote:OK myfriends so I now play City of Villians. I am a mastermind with Ninjas! My name is Misstep. So hit me up or join my super villian group


I bought City of Heroes a while ago, and I should finally have some time in January to give it a go.
I look forward to battling your ninjas, sir!


Are you on Garbage Man?


I'm afraid I'm full of lies... lies, and delicious brownies.... mmmMmmm...

I haven't even installed the game yet, and my wireless connection at my current abode being complete shit at best, I doubt I'll be on at all. Sorry!


It's okay. it just gives me the excuse I needed to find you and beat you up in real life.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:02 pm

You once told me you were a lover, not a fighter.
What's become of you, burl? City of Villains has changed you.
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:29 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:You once told me you were a lover, not a fighter.
What's become of you, burl? City of Villains has changed you.


Perhaps. I have much to think about.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby JabberJaw on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 pm

Have thought about giving City of Heros a try...How does it compare to World of Warcraft (my current mmorpg)
ImageImage
User avatar
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 am
Location: Orlando, Fl

Postby Kilgore on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:54 pm

JabberJaw wrote:Have thought about giving City of Heros a try...How does it compare to World of Warcraft (my current mmorpg)


Gameplay is comparable...from the folks I know who played both more extensively (I have limited WOW experience), the two work in very similar fashion...their decision came down to whether they liked the superhero stuff more, or if the medieval orc-slaying was the preference...
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:31 am

Kilgore wrote:
JabberJaw wrote:Have thought about giving City of Heros a try...How does it compare to World of Warcraft (my current mmorpg)


Gameplay is comparable...from the folks I know who played both more extensively (I have limited WOW experience), the two work in very similar fashion...their decision came down to whether they liked the superhero stuff more, or if the medieval orc-slaying was the preference...


Actually that's not the whole story. WoW is a much more in depth role playing experience. You can have crafts and skills to actually earn a living and allow you better armor and such. By comparison, CoH is much simpler. I played WoW for about 3 months after it first launched and it is--hands down--the better game, but for some reason people were not as friendly and it was difficult to find a group to go questing with. This was just my experience. CoH is pretty easy to get into and it seems like its easier to find teams for missions.

One of the big complaints about CoH is that the missions are a tad repetitive. They have done a little to alleviate that issue, but it's still about the same. But after a while, you don't really notice. At least, I don't. And because so many of the missions are similar, it becomes kind of fun to master your strategy on how to handle them.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:55 am

Kilgore wrote:And what of The Dino?


Triumph Server, eh?

Image
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:02 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Kilgore wrote:And what of The Dino?


Triumph Server, eh?

Image


HAHahaha a
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby JabberJaw on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:20 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
JabberJaw wrote:Have thought about giving City of Heros a try...How does it compare to World of Warcraft (my current mmorpg)


Gameplay is comparable...from the folks I know who played both more extensively (I have limited WOW experience), the two work in very similar fashion...their decision came down to whether they liked the superhero stuff more, or if the medieval orc-slaying was the preference...


Actually that's not the whole story. WoW is a much more in depth role playing experience. You can have crafts and skills to actually earn a living and allow you better armor and such. By comparison, CoH is much simpler. I played WoW for about 3 months after it first launched and it is--hands down--the better game, but for some reason people were not as friendly and it was difficult to find a group to go questing with. This was just my experience. CoH is pretty easy to get into and it seems like its easier to find teams for missions.

One of the big complaints about CoH is that the missions are a tad repetitive. They have done a little to alleviate that issue, but it's still about the same. But after a while, you don't really notice. At least, I don't. And because so many of the missions are similar, it becomes kind of fun to master your strategy on how to handle them.


I know in my WoW playing i find endgame can be quite brutal unless you are in a large backstabbing guild. levels 1-50 were fun..but when your char tops out at 60 it becomes a game of yelling and rolling on equipment you rarely get.

CoH sounds pretty fun....Have you tried City of Villians yet? The Dungeons & Dragons mmorpg coming out next month sounds interesting as well
User avatar
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 am
Location: Orlando, Fl

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:29 pm

City of Villains is a blast. The archetypes seemed to be a bit more powerful than City of Heroes. With the characters I have created, I never even died until like lvl 8.

I will have to check out the D&D mmorpg. I also read that both Marvel and DC have mmorpgs in the works. Anyone know anything about these?
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Kilgore on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:27 pm

The Marvel MMO is still being worked on by Sigil Games for 2006 release...only on PC and XBox 360, though the plan is to combine the two worlds online, so either platform is on the same server.

All I could find on the DC game is that it is licensed by Sony games...

If anyone's got more recent stuff, I'd love to hear it.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm


Return to Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests