GUN

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

GUN

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:56 am

Anybody here checked out Rockstars latest opus?

Just picked it up this weekend and so far it's pretty sweet.

Also, picked up SSX On Tour: Not the Greatest but still Fun.

Kong: Sweet but short.

Sould Caliber III: Pretty Intense fighting action
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:58 am

Hey you goddamn putz! Give us a the lowdown onna the Gun, eh?

Anna I gotta to agree with a you onna the Kong game.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pudie on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:09 pm

Gun just doesnt look that interesting to me. I might play it some time down the line, but I'm in no rush.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:13 pm

Well, I don't want to ruin too much if some of you plan on checking it out, but basically your on a hunt for some artifact that brings you through many different towns with side missions: bounty hunting, helping indians, hunting buffalo, races...you know the usual suspects. If you're familiar with Rockstars other Western "Red Dead Revolver," you will be a bit familiar with the control and weapon system.

I'm only about 4 hours into the 15 hour long game and so far the missions have not been repetative and the story is pretty immersive.

Definitely recommended for a different experience genre wise.

The game doesn't break any new ground but it will keep you wanting more due to it's pick up and playability and fast intense gunfights.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:23 pm

Is it a better than a the Red Dead Revolver?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:24 pm

Yes Dino, Much Better.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 pm

Not played it yet - and I was really looking forward to it, but initial reports seem to suggest that it isn't all it should be. One review I read described the graphics as "party like it's 1999", and then went on to bemoan the fact that the game just looks too damn...... brown.

The screenshots I've seen seem to back this up, every shot looks like it's taken from the same area of the game, although they clearly aren't - not enough variation between areas, IMO. The landscapes are very pretty though, which is the least you would expect out ofa Western game.

I'd like to hear some views after somebody has completed it - but so far it hasn't lived up to my expectations, which were not totally outlandish.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:37 pm

Yeah..it is brown.. but it's the Old West. Everything was brown, from the dirt floors to the leather clothing and yes the graphics aren't spectacular but they are definitely NOT 1999 era. Probably looks much better on the 360 (as I only have original Xbox).

But I don't play games for the color and graphics, it's the gameplay and story that gets me hooked.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Re: GUN

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:50 pm

jgraphix wrote:Anybody here checked out Rockstars latest opus?

Uh, you do realize Rockstar had nothing to do with this game, right? It was developed by Neversoft and published by Activision. Rockstar's latest was The Warriors, a pretty fine game.

I haven't played Gun (nothing I've seen has enticed me). But I've heard good and bad things with an average consensus of "eh."
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:52 pm

Duh..yeah. it is Activision. Thanks.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:52 pm

The Warriors is good eh? Anything like Manhunt? It has that look to it I think.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:55 pm

Warriors is a beat em up. Nothing like Manhunt.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:56 pm

Can't say, never played Manhunt. It was more like a brawler upgraded. Overall, quite fun. The main thing is you can tell it was a work of love by the Rockstar guys and it translates into the gameplay.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:57 pm

Cool...I'll have to check it out when I'm done playing all the other crap on my shelf.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Neya on Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm

Gun is alot of fun, but extremely short. Once you get into it (which happens fast), even the most video-game-challenged can beat it in 8-10 hours. Unless you love the genre, i recommend a rent or borrow rather than a buy.
~Tonight I go as a Nemesis bearing just and blazingly cataclysmic vengance.~

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Mimekiller on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:08 pm

Gun was heck a fun and well worth a rentel, the ending left me satisfed and thats a lot more I can say about most video game endings.
The Atom Bomb:Made in America, tested in Japan
Mimekiller
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jgraphix on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:10 pm

Good to know....as I have not finished it yet.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Groggy on Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:20 am

Gun is a lot of fun but can be easily clocked during a lazy weekend. I played it on Normal, and there are way too many life-ups and ammo dumps which presents no real challenge, just a gently increasing difficulty curve. I picked it up cheap on the PS2 after Xmas, however if you can a get weekend rental I'd definitely recommend that instead of a purchase.

And yes, it is very brown.
Groggy
GLIB

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:42 pm

I got it for Christmas, I'm guessing I'm about half through.

It is very simple and linear. There are plenty of side quests, but since they have no effect on anything else in the game (other than increasing stats that I don't see much of a difference in) they're kind of lame.

The coolest action happens in the cut-scenes, which is common in games, but there were times where I wish I could have had something to do woth the outcomoe of those events.

I agree with a lot of the above takes. Rent it, don't buy it. I doubt I'll go back through after I'm done.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:46 pm

I hear tell this game rules
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:08 pm

yeah, i was totally getting hooked on deadwood. then i saw the commercial for this. then toys r us had a buy 2 get 1 free on all games sale. i couldve sworn it was fate telling me to buy this game. then when i didnt have the money and the sale ended, i said fuck this. and i bought trapt instead.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Games