XBOX 360 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:04 pm

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby wonkabar on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:32 pm

Shhh......(thanks)
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:50 pm

LOL!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby wonkabar on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:08 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:LOL!

Heh...I'm SO on it!

Sony update:

Sony stock drops

Sony's American depositary receipts fell 16 cents to $39.94 at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange trading. They have dropped 2 percent this year. Each ADR is worth 1 ordinary Sony share.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:19 am

I wish I could find it, but there was a report published by Merill Lynch projecting the 360 will out sell the Wii and the PS3 in total revenue by 2010.

I think the 360 had 63% of the market, with the PS3 taking 42%, and the Wii with 38%.

I think the numbers are wrong but the gap between Microsoft and Sony was a hefty one.

Grain of salt?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby wonkabar on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:31 am

November 15, 2006

Merrill Lynch: Xbox 360 To Win Next-Gen Battle Through 2011

Merrill Lynch: Xbox 360 To Win Next-Gen Battle Through 2011 A new report from Japanese market analysts at financial firm Merrill Lynch has predicted that Microsoft's Xbox 360 will gain the greatest worldwide market share of the next-gen consoles through 2011, with PS3 and Wii marginally trailing.

According to an International Business Times report citing Yoshiyuki Kinoshita, research analyst for Merrill Lynch, the Tokyo-based division for the financial giant has predicted: "The winner in the next-generation console battle is likely to be the Xbox 360, which is the leader in North America, the world’s biggest market."

In addition, Kinoshita's research note revealed: "We forecast respective market shares [in March 2011] of Xbox 360 [at] 39 percent, PS3 [at] 34 percent and Wii [at] 27 percent, thus overturning Sony’s domination of the market with its PS2-based share of 69 percent, and doubling Microsoft and Nintendo’s respective market shares."

Kinoshita clearly believes that no one company will dominate all territories however, suggesting that Sony will still have 57% of the console market share in Japan by that date, with Nintendo's Wii at 39% and an unspecified small percentage for the Xbox 360.

However, it is his prediction for the North America market that is most startling and perhaps debatable, with his suggestion Microsoft will have 50% market share by 2011, of while the PlayStation 3 has just 27% and the Nintendo Wii 23%.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:04 pm

Ok so I need some advice. I just bought a mobile phone over the internet and I get a 360 core system as a free gift. It has no hard drive and one wired controller. Do I need to buy anything before I can save games? And what are the benefits of a hard drive anyway?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:36 pm

Better cacheing on games like Oblivion, space to download free demos over Xbox Live Silver, loads save space... you'll need a memory card if you want to save otherwise.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:05 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Better cacheing on games like Oblivion, space to download free demos over Xbox Live Silver, loads save space... you'll need a memory card if you want to save otherwise.

Aha, cheers AH.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:41 pm

No probs! ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:02 pm

I hear LIVE-Marketplace is swamped right now.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:04 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Ok so I need some advice. I just bought a mobile phone over the internet and I get a 360 core system as a free gift. It has no hard drive and one wired controller. Do I need to buy anything before I can save games? And what are the benefits of a hard drive anyway?

You have to be kidding! How much was the mobile phone that a 360 came with it free?

That's insane!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:06 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Ok so I need some advice. I just bought a mobile phone over the internet and I get a 360 core system as a free gift. It has no hard drive and one wired controller. Do I need to buy anything before I can save games? And what are the benefits of a hard drive anyway?

You have to be kidding! How much was the mobile phone that a 360 came with it free?

That's insane!

The phone's free and it's 35 quid a month. That gives me 900 free landline or any network minutes.
TonyWilson

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:08 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

That's insane!

The phone's free and it's 35 quid a month. That gives me 900 free landline or any network minutes.

What carrier?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:09 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

That's insane!

What carrier?

T-Mobile. Do you have that overthere?
TonyWilson

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 pm

Yep. But they sure as hell aren't giving away 360's.

At least as far as I know.

Christmas came early for you, dude. Congrats.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby wonkabar on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:06 am

So, the over-heating issue. AKA the dreaded "three red lights of death" Is it now a thing of the past?

If you check Amazon there's still bunch of people bringing it up ....are they just haters?

Have any zoners had this problem or know anybody that did?

Is it something I should be concerned about at this point, or is it something that's been corrected?

I'm pretty convinced that 360 is the console to have but I'd really hate to spend 400 bucks and have my system fry.

Can somebody alleviate my fears?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:50 am

I've had mine for a year, no complaints. ALL consoles have dodgy launches and the occasional dodgy batch - remember the internet is normally full of people wanting to complain vocally, and you don't hear the people who're perfectly happy because... well, they're playing games on their unbroken consoles.

Consider the amount of Xboxes sold to the few forum threads you've read.

See?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:50 am

I got a 360 just over a month a go now, no infact bang on a month today! Shiiiit!

Anyway, I fucking love it. I was holding out for a PS3 but thought "fuck off am I waiting until March for a mega expensive console that might only be slightly better than the 360 in a bout 3 years time!"

So went with 360 - NO REGRETS! Such a good online system etc!

Anyway, the other heating: No problem! I had a friend who got the early ones and they too had that problem! BUT everyone I know with the new ones don't have that problem

I think like everything you have to be careful. I don't put its back (which is where it blows out the air) near to anything, so it can circulate well... and hopefully... HEY PRESTO... it'll be okay!

The first day I got it I had it running for over 8 hours with out turing it off. The console itself was cool as a muthafucker! :-)

So I'd feel safe in getting one my good wonka :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:09 am

Do you guys keep it vertical or horizontal?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:18 am

HORIZONTAL.

Jeebus, why anyone would want it vertical is utterly beyond me. I'm not risking the mechanism not dropping properly inside for a £40 game!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:29 am

Yeah, I've heard it's better for the system anyway.

I remember overheating being an issue with the first XBOX (mine has woked great since 2002) and now with the PS-3 as well. I think some of these problems have been the result of consumers not understanding that these new cosoles need the same care they would give to a PC or Mac....ie you can't stuff them in a cabinet or leave them on a crappy carpet
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:14 am

No problems for me. I keep mine vertical BTW to save space...
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:44 am

This is kinda interesting...

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/29/enderle_on_christmas_trends/

Xbox 360 - What a difference a year makes

As we mentioned last week, the Xbox 360 is the most mature of the new generation of gaming platforms. This gives it a massive advantage in terms of available games and accessories. It also gave it a massive advantage in terms of available units. Early numbers (Black Friday, Cyber Monday) suggest that even though both the Nintendo and the PlayStation 3 could have outsold it, manufacturing limitations kept their true potential from being reached. In addition, parents who can't get either of the constrained systems are now apparently shifting their buying behavior to the system they can buy, the Xbox 360 - rather than giving their kids an IOU or paying excessively high Ebay prices.

This showcases the importance of actually having a hot product available in sufficient numbers when the buyers are ready to buy. Because of shortages of the Xbox 360 last year, both Sony and Nintendo got a little pop, while Microsoft could have sold more than four times the game systems it had in supply last year.

A year later, Microsoft has plenty of supply and the other guys are constrained. And, according to early information, Xbox 360 sales are ramping sharply, indicating that it will be the clear winner in terms of installed systems. This fact is critical as game developers are not religious about systems. Generally, they prioritize their efforts based on the number of potential customers in a given market. If Microsoft has several millions more of these potential users, they will get the cream of the games coming out from independent developers. And it is the games that make or break a system.

No matter how you look at it, this has all the earmarks of a solid win for Microsoft in the gaming space.

Funny, I'm all for 360....but Zune can eatadick
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:46 am

Zune was really badly developed.

I think this is important -

This fact is critical as game developers are not religious about systems.

As being showcased by the developers jumping onboard with previous PS3 exclusives... not just that, the Xbox360 is quite simply easier to develop for.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:52 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Zune was really badly developed.

I think this is important -

This fact is critical as game developers are not religious about systems.

As being showcased by the developers jumping onboard with previous PS3 exclusives... not just that, the Xbox360 is quite simply easier to develop for.

Yeah, it sounds like most of the games for PS-3 are just gonna be ported 360 games for....a good chunk of the foreseeable future anyway.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:58 am

It seems to be the other way around at the moment...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:12 am

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:14 am

My problem is the amount of games that come out on 260 that you can get for Xbox etc. If you can play Xbox games on it, why do two versions - they are not different! My King Kong on PS2 is the same as Xbox etc :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:19 am

wonkabar wrote:http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

I could look on the web and find quotes about memory management lowering the PS3 underneath the 360, but I'm not going to... Truth is if you check nearly all articles state they're on a level.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:32 am

PS3 COD-3 review

ign wrote:so where are all the pitfalls? Unfortunately, they can be found everywhere... especially if you've played the Xbox 360 version released earlier in the year. A quick comparison reveals those differences right off the bat. Be it with multiplayer options and online capabilities (360 has a point system and voice support, PS3 doesn't), or the visuals (Xbox moves at a smoother framerate with few hitches, while the PS3 version stutters often and boasts a more "washed out" color palette).
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:50 am

Personally, I don't think COD3 on PS3 is a fair comparasion. I can't wait to see what it can do when developed FOR, like Mass Effect or GOW on Xbox...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:25 am

What would the general consensis be about the best looking game on the 360. Bugger gameplay, sound, story... just graphics. What will make me wet my pants if I see it with a decent HD telly.

I remember playing that boxing one that was a launch title and that looked friggen amazing!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:35 am

Gears of War!

Or for life like peeps check out Tony Hawks Project 8 - Jason Lee, well its him, but its graphics - crazy!

But Gears of War on HD, with 5.1 surround, lights out - tell me the 360 is shit after that ( I know you're not saying that monkey - I'm just asking anyone!) :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:39 am

ahhh.... we saw a cool ass trailer for that when we saw Pan's Laberenth last saturday (I've seen nothing about that flick anywhere since that day).

I'll say what ever sturs up wonka really... 360 totally sucks... <bate, bate, bate) Xbox 1.5...<bate, bate>... PC in a concole's clothing...<bate>.

:wink:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:59 am

Monkey - fucken Splinter Cell has more wet-pants moments than Gears, I'm not kidding. It's like a Hollywood movie. Skydiving and having the chute stop working only to find your in control is awesome.

Let alone it looks like this (Unreal Engine, baby) -

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:16 am

Holy crap... that looks amazing. Is that in game or opener stuff (the real word excapes me for the moment.. SKU? na... I forgot)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:32 am

In game.

The moment a helicopter crashed after spinning around in flames before I slid down into the ruins of a wartorn street with both sides firing at eachother, I knew games could be on a par with an action movie at last.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:51 am

man, I am actually astounded that those images are in game. wow :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd love to play a final fantasy on the PS3 then when it comes out. I was always amazed how good that looked on the PS let alone the new system. I wonder if it will be like advent children but I'm in control.... hummmm
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:57 am

I was looking at Rainbow Six Vegas, and if you think Splinter Cell looks cool....War torn streets of Vegas is just such a great idea. These Tom Clancy games will break my wallet in the end. That game looks so interesting, especially if you have been to Vegas. Naturally the first thing that comes to mind when I go there is "I wonder what would happen if terrorists took over."
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:29 am

If I could go to gaming sites at work I would have a look right now. Sadly, I cannot.... :(
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:23 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:If I could go to gaming sites at work I would have a look right now. Sadly, I cannot.... :(

Me neither...thats why you look it up at home silly :P
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:24 pm

:p
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:48 pm

Those Splinter Cell screen do look nice, but after playing both games a lot, I have to say that Gears of War looks substantially better.

The next BIG game on the horizon is called MASS EFFECT.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOJ-hE527Q

And if you haven't heard, this is the game you should be getting excited about (ASSASSIN'S CREED). There's also a demo video at IGN of the devs showing AC on a 360.

http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/

It's a good time to be a 360 owner.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby wonkabar on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:35 am

I HAVE ONE! I HAVE ONE!

I'll see you online bitches!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:51 am

DIE FUCKERS DIE!

I'm GONNA KILL YOU ALL SOON!

U Will see......

See U online fuckers...

soon
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Al Shut on Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:55 am

If wonka ever kills someone they'll blame the videogames.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby wonkabar on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:56 am

You will pay!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:47 am

Oh wow, I just found an entire JUSTICE LEAGUE episode on my 360. Trip.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:52 am

Okay peeps! Head over to the Zone XBOX LIVE Online Gamming Community!

Lets get our gamer names up and get a Zoner GEARS OF WAR deathmatch going on! How does that sound????!!!??? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Games