Sony PS3 Claims to be HD leader.

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Sony PS3 Claims to be HD leader.

Postby CENOBITE on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:54 pm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13578

"As you well know," he continued, "the Xbox 360 doesn't play high definition movies and doesn't have true HD functionality - PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era."

Uhhh... could someone tell me where you could EVEN BUY a 1080p television? Oh, don't tell me, let me guess... Sony. C'mon. There is no way that any of the PS3's GAMES will play at 1080p. True 720p, yah... but this has to be propaganda. Technically the BlueRay movies will be able to be in this high def, but not the games without taking a major hit in performance. Typical 'twisting of the truth' tatics.

I'm still going to get a PS3, no doubt, but sometimes I despise Sonys twisted smear campaign tactics. I wonder how the Japanese gamers respond to these tactics? Do they understand or just stick to not 'rocking the boat' and supporting "Mother Sony".
CENOBITE
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:41 pm

I think the general consensus is that Japanese gamers respond with, '"X-box", wtf is that?'
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby CENOBITE on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:52 pm

LOL. Yah, that I understand. That's Microsoft's fault for not securing enough good RPGs.

I'm just wondering about the HD issue. *sigh* It will be forever before I can afford a true 1080p TV. Maybe that's why Sony said the PS3 is going to cost us more... not for the system, but to pay for the movies, games, etc. How much will the averadge movie on BlueRay discs cost?
CENOBITE
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby wonkabar on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 pm

No station broadcasts in that high of resolution, and they won't any time soon. The format that plays that high is Sony's own Blue-Ray, which is still up in the air. Hardly anybody is making 1080p TV's, and they're SUPER EXPENSIVE and will be for a long time. The tech you need to fully exploit the PS-3's "HD dominance" is like still five years off for the average person. Most people still have regular TVs and just got their DVD collection going. Sony is making a big mistake. PS-3 is still a year, or longer away, and it's going to be SO expensive. Microsoft was wise to focus on the online aspects. LIVE is already a thriving community, and in a year it will be the place to be, when Sony will just be getting theirs off the ground. 360 is now. Why wait for a system that's gonna probably be 600 dollars just for 1080p, when you don't have the TV, the BR DVD's, or broadcast channels to supply the content?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby King Psyz on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:25 pm

well the good thing is that PS3 is completely backwards compatible out the box, no need to be tethered to an online connection to play older titles like xbox360.

and if they follow through with UMD and PSP compatibility it will be a true winner.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:33 pm

i lovem my PS2 and the PS3 will soon be in my clutches, but Sony does tend to pull out some outlandish claims in their pre-marketing phase.

my favorite thing was back before the PS2 came out and there was some kinda press release fueled rumor about the PS2 being too powerful. that it was so powerful, if it fell into the wrong hands, it could potentially be a threat to national security. does anybody remember that? this was before 9/11 paranoia, so i guess it was easier to do stuff like that and not experience a backlash. and this wasn't like a fakey comic book ad, it was presented with much corporate Punky Power by the big wigs! hilarious, no?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:47 pm

I remember that ZOmbie, they didn't sell it in Iraq or other countries as it could be used to act as a "guidance system" for a cruise missle. Guess they used the good old atari for the scuds...

PS2 was awesome, PS3 could be awesome. It just looks cool and sleek, you switch it on and you get that booom type sound and you know you are in Business.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby CENOBITE on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 pm

magicmonkey wrote:It just looks cool and sleek, you switch it on and you get that booom type sound and you know you are in Business.

That boom sound is your circut breaker after the heat fan kicks on. :P
CENOBITE
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:08 pm

Heh heh heh. I've seen the Xbox power brick!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:53 pm

No station broadcasts in that high of resolution, and they won't any time soon. The format that plays that high is Sony's own Blue-Ray, which is still up in the air. Hardly anybody is making 1080p TV's, and they're SUPER EXPENSIVE and will be for a long time.

heh, and I've read that some Japanese companies are already in the midst and have created resolutions far exceeding 1080p.. supposedly so you'll be able to look at your tv and think you're looking through a window to outside
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby superman on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:19 am

They are getting a little too ambitious with the PS3...apparently it's a bear to program for and there is no way they can package a Blue-Ray DVD player and PS3 and keep it under 500-600. Screw that.
superman
GLIB

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:23 am

So only the uber rich will be able to pick one up on day one
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:01 pm

just start saving now
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:08 pm

It's still likely going to be the cheapest available HD DVD player when it comes out versus a stand-alone model. Thank Bob that they pushed the new technology and didn't stay with standard DVDs. And too difficult to program? Waaahhh! They already have games done and ready to go (i.e. Warcraft) so obviously some companies are getting it. Between Sony's technology and Nintendo's innovation, the next-gen looks like a lot of fun.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:37 am

there was also a ton of bitching by the game companies when ps2 was developed.

i think it's great that they build hardware so good even they dont know the full potential yet. It gives programers room to improve over the years.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby superman on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:42 pm

Well I hate to tell you buddy, but it's Blu-Ray DVD's with PS3 not HD-DVD. PS2 was absolute garbage. The only thing they had going for it were GTA and the Final Fantasy games, but now those are all coming to XBOX 360. I'm not paying $600-700 to play video games. I paid $400 for my 360 and that was pushing it for me.
superman
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:45 pm

Oops, sorry there pal!
I meant HD as in general "high definition" not as in Toshiba's competing format of HD-DVD. Toshiba's HD-DVD won't be able to shake the dribbles out of the Blu-Ray wang after it pees - THAT is how awesome Blu-Ray will be. :D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Games