Are games relaxing or rage inducing?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Are games relaxing or rage inducing?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47 am

Do you get upset when playing games? I know some people claim that games help them relax, but then others are like this kid. Which type of gamer are you? An what's the maddest you've ever gotten during a game?

http://www.killsometime.com/video/video.asp?ID=404
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:51 am

Everyone in the house was thinking that I was gonna kill my neice and nephew and anyone that came into the room to save them from me, as I was shouting and cursing to them with a rage they'd only have nightmares about.

Turned out all it was about was them ruining my concentration as I was getting my arse kicked by Count Dooku on ROTS Playstation Game, and all I wanted was to be left alone.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:53 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Everyone in the house was thinking that I was gonna kill my neice and nephew and anyone that came into the room to save them from me, as I was shouting and cursing to them with a rage they'd only have nightmares about.

Turned out all it was about was them ruining my concentration as I was getting my arse kicked by Count Dooku on ROTS Playstation Game, and all I wanted was to be left alone.

That's not you in the video, is it?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:55 am

It depends on the game. I was as calm and relaxed as I played Katamari but I broke one of my controlers when I ws playing God of War
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:55 am

there are times while playing a game that i get so frustrated with it that i swear if i ever find the little twerp who made it so ridiculously hard i'll bust his ass, lol.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:57 am

Oh, wow....... that kid is a serious rageaholic.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Yeah, I donna think it's a the video game per se, eh? It's a like a the personality disorder or a something. Guys like a that, they gonna to react a that way over just about a the anything, no?

You gotta the peoples with a the road rage, people who go crazy onna the vending machines, cell phone rage, etc.

His a reaction to a the video game, she is a the symptom of a the larger problem.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm

I've definitely gotten pissed off while playing games, screaming "WTF?!" and such, but this kid? This kid needs therapy stat.

I do think that games in general raise the rage-o-meter. Sometimes when I finish playing a game I feel all revved up with angsty energy and have to walk it off / pace it off.

It's probably unhealthy, but I've never been even as close to as pissed as this guy is...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:08 pm

I've found games to be alternately relaxing and rage-inducing. Sometimes it can be the same thing. But when you're so angry you're trying to punch a whole in the wall or smash your controllers on top of your television set, maybe you should consider whether or not this whole gaming thing is something you should be doing. I think it's the competition factor that persuades hardcore gamers to take how well they use their joystick so seriously. The rewards of playing under those conditions are certainly questionable.

Then again, did anybody else used to play single-player games when they were a kid and complain that the game was "cheap?" Even though you knew deep-down that you just fucked up? I know I did that a couple of times.
Last edited by Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:09 pm

ok, i just watched that vid and laughed my ass off. i feel so sorry for his parents though, i hear Ridilin(sp?) isn't cheap, lol.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 pm

The best part is when he yells "FUCK!" and then pounds back a can of soda. It's like he's so full of rage, but still lucid enough to decide he feels like a swig of Coke. Something about that struck me as really hilarious.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 pm

You putzes remember the first a Tetris release onna the original Nintendo box, eh? That one, she hadda the alternate music you could a select anna it was a the most a relaxing thing you could ever a wanna to hear, eh?

The Dino, he would a play for a the hours a just a so's a he could a hear a that music.

Then again, iffa you look atta my movies from a the time period, maybe I should have a been a playing less of a the Tetris, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:12 pm

i used to get beat up by my brother whenever he died in mario bros. cause i was sitting in the room watching - so it must've been my fault - so then i started sitting at the top of the basement stairs - so as to "not bug him" - sure enough - he'd fuck up and die - then he'd coming running up the stairs and "punish me" for causing him to die.... i fucking hate mario bros now... whenever somebody dies in it i have to run for cover...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:15 pm

I get pissed with games where you have to walk around corridors on your own for hours just to find something to shoot or ahve a fight with. Soooo depressing. Oh yeah, and when you do fight the thing, it ain't that enjoyable anyway.

I threw Aliens Vs Predator away in my cupboard after a few goes, just 'cos I started the game by walking about in the dark on my own, then had to solve some stupid E=MC2 crappy formula just to open a door or something. I was like "I don't fucking need this, I just want to shoot something."

There's too much shit like this in games, when there just shouldn't be. The balance of strategy and action in games like this is so wrong.

Gimme Galaxian anyday.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:19 pm

the first Tomb Raider and Resident Evil games were perhaps the two best examples of having a good balance between action and puzzle-solving, imo.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:19 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:You putzes remember the first a Tetris release onna the original Nintendo box, eh? That one, she hadda the alternate music you could a select anna it was a the most a relaxing thing you could ever a wanna to hear, eh?

The Dino, he would a play for a the hours a just a so's a he could a hear a that music.

Then again, iffa you look atta my movies from a the time period, maybe I should have a been a playing less of a the Tetris, no?

Ooooh, I dunno mate.

You did give us Barbarella. And for that I'm gonna send you a pair of my underpants that I wore during this movie, as a gift of appreciation.

What is the link between Barbarella and computer games I hear you ask? Well, just think of the words, Chick, Hair, Puller, Barbarella, Versus...... and you'll get the drift.

You can pick her opponent if you want.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:20 pm

I think Kirks 2Pay probably sleeps in a rage-induced state, so his opinion on this subject matter should be thrown out.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Depends on the game. Zoo Keeper turns me into a vicious hatemonger, whereas Animal Crossing makes me wanna sing from the rooftops.

Probably the worst game-rage I've ever witnessed was not performed by me, but I was the victim.

I was about 6 years old, watching my 10 year old brother play Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum 48k - one of these:

In those days, people believed, perhaps correctly, that the slightest knock to your computer could break the thing irreparably. Also, there was no such thing as a save point, so if you'd been playing a game for 4 hours, and dies, you had to start all over again.

So anyway, after going through about 80 different rooms in Manic Miner, and probably being a few minutes away from completing the game, my brother fucks up a relatively easy chasm-jump, losing his last life. He raised up his fist, about to strike the computer. In a split-second, he realised that he couldn't hit the computer, so he swivelled the chair around, and punched me really hard in the mouth. I fall back on the bed, the taste of blood filling my mouth. And the idiot......starts to laugh.

But then, so did I - at the ridiculousness of the situation. We ended up rolling around on the floor, pissing our pants with laughter. That wanker is now a highly-paid lawyer.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:21 pm

Peven wrote:the first Tomb Raider and Resident Evil games were perhaps the two best examples of having a good balance between action and puzzle-solving, imo.

Nail onna the head, eh Paisan?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:22 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAH!!!!

ENGLISH BOB STRIKES AGAIN WITH THAT CLASSIC WIT AND YARN-SPINNING!!!!

EDIT: Referring to TITGirl... this would have been clear if Dino didn't stick his nose everywhere!
Last edited by Pacino86845 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:22 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:...That wanker is now a highly-paid lawyer.

so he punches people for a living now?

BADA BING!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:23 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:And for that I'm gonna send you a pair of my underpants that I wore during this movie, as a gift of appreciation.

What, again? Holy crappa, I'll put them inna the vault with a the other 73 pairs a you sent me alla ready, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:24 pm

To think, that you could have ended his highly paid lawyer job, if you bothered to hit him back. Why didn't you, Mr 2001?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:30 pm

This film looks shit. The kid looks so fake. He's obviously acting, badly. From one person who has enough computer rage in the past, this idiot here is really forcing it. He's really not 'in the moment', it's easy to see.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lupe on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:35 pm

Dunno about rage, but I played a lot of counterstrike and aftera serious binge I sometimes find it hard to relax, Itmakes sense if you think about it, your loading your brain with reaction based stimulus, But you aren't doing anything physical to release the energy your pumping your body to expect.

Unlike a session at the Gym where the focus and the adrenalin has somwhere to go, with a game you just allow it to build inside. No wonder I found it hard to sleep afterwards, my bodys saying "YEAH! RIGHT I'M READY TO FIGHT BRING IT ON!!!" but all I'm doing is lying down trying to have a nap.
Lupe
REAL DRAGON

Postby CthulhuKid on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:02 pm

I'll have to go along with the popular opinion on this one. Some games are very relaxing, other's not so much.

I just finished GUN and the final boss battle was driving me nuts! I did yell WTF?!? at the television which propted a visit from my wife who then pointed out the oh-so-easy way to kill the fucker. :-)

Sometimes one game can be bothe a relaxer and a rage inducer. I remember the original Jet Moto. I would get so friggin' pissed everytime I would try the championship series to open new tracks, only to lose in the last lap of the last race. Once I had all the tracks open, I would just play that game for hours and hours.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Icarus on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Good games will enhance your calm, John Spartan. Bad games pose a very real clear and present danger to any passer-by at the wrong time. Its the same kinda karma thats at play when your masseuse walks in. If its the hottie you saw through the window before registering then its all good....if you end up with the monosyllabic Grosburger lookee-likee (see Stir Crazy for further details) who is on a one man war against all soft tissue then you got a hatful of issues heading your way.....

..hey, its been a long day.
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:16 pm

CthulhuKid wrote:I'll have to go along with the popular opinion on this one. Some games are very relaxing, other's not so much.

I just finished GUN and the final boss battle was driving me nuts! I did yell WTF?!? at the television which propted a visit from my wife who then pointed out the oh-so-easy way to kill the fucker. :-)

Sometimes one game can be bothe a relaxer and a rage inducer. I remember the original Jet Moto. I would get so friggin' pissed everytime I would try the championship series to open new tracks, only to lose in the last lap of the last race. Once I had all the tracks open, I would just play that game for hours and hours.

Yeah I was like that is SSX Tricky. I would get muy frustrated when it was time to open up new shit, but once they were opened, I could play the courses forever. It was INCREDIBLY relaxing.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Icarus on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:24 pm

Reflexes come into it too I guess. Playing Pro-Evo 5 the other day on one of the more difficult settings. Got through to the World Cup Final and held on to a 1-0 lead until the 85th minute, when I then got nobbled first by a 37yd free kick...and then a dubious penalty in the 94th minute.

The air turned blue.

Then I remembered I'd wisely saved the game after tha semi-final and an uneasy calm broke out. The birds returned to the tree outside, the kid three streets away stopped crying and The Stock Exchange started trading again.

Then I heard mechanical noises from the console and remembered that auto-save was still on.

Am currently seeking a new neighbourhood to move to......as the judge said "You leave this court with a not inconsiderable stain on your character..."

My thoughts to the families.....
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm

so sorry wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:...That wanker is now a highly-paid lawyer.

so he punches people for a living now?

BADA BING!

Haha. No.

He rapes people for a living these days.....

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:To think, that you could have ended his highly paid lawyer job, if you bothered to hit him back. Why didn't you, Mr 2001?

Exactly! If I'd have been more of a violent and aggressive kid, I'd be coining it in right now! The world is so unfair!

PS - glad you liked my tale of woe, Pacino!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Icarus on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:38 pm

Platformers drive me insane. Tomb Raider being a case in point, but really I'd like to tar the whole genre. Nothing worse than having your own lack of hand-eye co-ordination brought painfully home to you - invariably to the delight of some odious 8yr old cousin or some such. You know what you've got to do....but you just can't jump to the degree of pixel-perfection that some hate-filled programmer somewhere has decided to demand of you. So there you are, on the cusp of opening up what you KNOW is a great game, but forever being denied. Then your twenty-a-day habit hits the high forties and beyond....the girlfriend sounds the klaxon through your own self-permeating fog to let you know just how lonely you're going to be that night and its all downhill from there......
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

anyone else here a big fan of the Star Wars Battlefront games? the space battles in II are a little boring, but all in all, i really dig both.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Icarus on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:50 pm

LOL - boss has now vamoosed so can read the thread from the start - nice one TITG...its reminded me of a dark chapter of my own. sort of like an evil doppleganger - was enjoying Street Fighter II on the old SNES years ago...got myself to a half-decent standard and could hold my own against most challengers - some I won, some I lost...but it was all good until my younger brother came along. after over thirty games in a row of him choosing Dhalsim EVERY GODDAM TIME and just lurking in the bottom left corner....continually doing the same move where the leg just extends across the whole screen. Well, lets just say I saw the need for life to imitate art that day.

Happy ending though...sometimes he actually fills out the visiting order I send him every Xmas...... :lol:
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:00 pm

I just find it funny that he breaks his TV, and it sort of sobers him for a second, and then he gets even more pissed off. I laughed at this for a while.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:27 am

MAAAAAN...I've just started SEASON MODE in Smackdown vs Raw 2006 after getting bored with the GM role (well, bored with not being able to unlock anything in that mode).

All went well for the first 3 matches...then got shoved into a triple threat, whether I liked it or not. Suddenly the new STAMINA system becomes highly fucking irritating. On top of that, the ref just minces into the way all the time - played the match 5 times (well, ahem, five and a half for the reason below) and every time got a DQ for slapping the official.

Today I will mostly be going shopping for two new controllers.

And some valium.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Autumn on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 am

I've been playing games for many years and there is nothing, Repeat, nothing more rage inducing than an annoying, badly controlled camera in a 3D platform game *cough*Prince of Persia*cough*.

I gave up playing this particular game after a couple of levels of that awful camera. The red mist was coming down too often.
"This is a rock concert, not the bleedin'
splish-splash show!''
Autumn
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 am

Ah yes GUN. Based on how simple the entire game was the puzzleish final boss was somewhat rage inducing.

Though I can still recall swearing till blue in the face over some NES games such as the first TMNT (some of those sewer jumps were flat out impossible), Battletoads (to this day I believe the entire game doesn't exist past the first speeder bike jumping level....it's vast conspiracy). Most newer games if I find them too difficult for me I generally just lose all interest. Even if they aren't difficult but continue to be mind numbingly time consuming I will simply walk away.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:41 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:Ah yes GUN. Based on how simple the entire game was the puzzleish final boss was somewhat rage inducing.

Though I can still recall swearing till blue in the face over some NES games such as the first TMNT (some of those sewer jumps were flat out impossible), Battletoads (to this day I believe the entire game doesn't exist past the first speeder bike jumping level....it's vast conspiracy). Most newer games if I find them too difficult for me I generally just lose all interest. Even if they aren't difficult but continue to be mind numbingly time consuming I will simply walk away.

D'you know what? GUN is the latest addition to a growing and increasingly weird category of games that I'm struggling to comprehend.

I loved the premise to Gun. Bought it and played it non-stop for a day. Got halfway through the escorting a stagecoach mission. Then never picked it up again. Can't even tell you why - the game did nothing wrong, I've just lost the inclination to play it.

Has MTV and soft drugs finally put me on a par with a goldfish...or am I becoming middle-aged?

I'm depressed now.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:23 am

Are games relaxing or rage-inducing? That depends on whether you're playing a game made after the invention of the NES or not. Throw me an Atari game and I'll come out with hives and hemorrhoids, but give me anything post-Super Mario World and it's like drinking a Strawberry, Guava and Passion Fruit Smoothie.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:29 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Ah yes GUN. Based on how simple the entire game was the puzzleish final boss was somewhat rage inducing.

D'you know what? GUN is the latest addition to a growing and increasingly weird category of games that I'm struggling to comprehend.

I loved the premise to Gun. Bought it and played it non-stop for a day. Got halfway through the escorting a stagecoach mission. Then never picked it up again. Can't even tell you why - the game did nothing wrong, I've just lost the inclination to play it.

Has MTV and soft drugs finally put me on a par with a goldfish...or am I becoming middle-aged?

I'm depressed now.

naw, its not the soft drugs or middle age. :wink:
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:32 am

Doc Holliday wrote:

I'm depressed now.

Ah, don't be depressed! I'm olde (just turned 34) and I've been finding that some games just aren't worth it. Like that muthaphkkin DEVIL MAY CRY 3 which was TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I got to like the 4th screen and when the first repetitive stress disorder symptoms started happening. It actually physically hurt me to play it. I returned it to the videostore pretty dang quick after that.

In terms of rage inducing, I just got THE WARRIORS for my birthday and I gotta tell ya, it's a great game, but I'm finding myself getting really angry with it. Not as angry as that rageaholic playing HALO, but angry enough that it makes me feel strange. Cause when your getting ganged up on, the confluence of the music, sound effects, and shouts from your attackers are fairly overwhelming (not to mention realistic). If I had kids, theres no way I'd let em play the Rockstar games, man. Those are for adults only...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:36 am

Peven wrote:anyone else here a big fan of the Star Wars Battlefront games? the space battles in II are a little boring, but all in all, i really dig both.

Yeah, you know I love me some BATTLEFRONT 2! Although the space battles could be cooler, I love taking a squadron of troops, landing on the enemy ship, and blowing the crap out of everything in sight. He he! Take that Empire / Republic / Rebels / CIS!!! (depending upon which side I'm on at the time).

Also, you gotta love that you can play as main characters. The first time I got to be Vader on the Tantive ship I was jumping for joy.

How about that story mode, huh? How it bridges between ROTS and ANH? Pretty cool, huh?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:39 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

I'm depressed now.

Ah, don't be depressed! I'm olde (just turned 34) and I've been finding that some games just aren't worth it. Like that muthaphkkin DEVIL MAY CRY 3 which was TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I got to like the 4th screen and when the first repetitive stress disorder symptoms started happening. It actually physically hurt me to play it. I returned it to the videostore pretty dang quick after that.

In terms of rage inducing, I just got THE WARRIORS for my birthday and I gotta tell ya, it's a great game, but I'm finding myself getting really angry with it. Not as angry as that rageaholic playing HALO, but angry enough that it makes me feel strange. Cause when your getting ganged up on, the confluence of the music, sound effects, and shouts from your attackers are fairly overwhelming (not to mention realistic). If I had kids, theres no way I'd let em play the Rockstar games, man. Those are for adults only...

Cheers Deadite! But I'm 33 so your words of solace merely confirm my suspicions :D

As in life, I find I'm giving up sooner and with freer will than in my headstrong days of yoof - heh. Most shocking example gathering dust on the shelf is FABLE - spent two very stoned days getting lost in that game...but missed a lot of the additional stuff through ADD - particularly the stone faces demanding offerings and the like. Then it took a horrific turn for the realistic - gone was the conforting cries of my name from everyone for miles around - before I knew it I was no longer crusading against beasties - no - instead I was trying to find the money to spport my many properties and losing sleep over running around keeping a variety of wives happy...though they never were.

Even two years ago this was the type of game that I would explore to the last square inch on my screen...pausing only to close the curtains and mutter "Outside...BAD". Nowadays I can't even get as far as kidding myself I'll play it again.

I'll never wear tweed. NEVER!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:58 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Cheers Deadite! But I'm 33 so your words of solace merely confirm my suspicions :D

As in life, I find I'm giving up sooner and with freer will than in my headstrong days of yoof - heh. Most shocking example gathering dust on the shelf is FABLE - spent two very stoned days getting lost in that game...but missed a lot of the additional stuff through ADD - particularly the stone faces demanding offerings and the like. Then it took a horrific turn for the realistic - gone was the conforting cries of my name from everyone for miles around - before I knew it I was no longer crusading against beasties - no - instead I was trying to find the money to spport my many properties and losing sleep over running around keeping a variety of wives happy...though they never were.

Even two years ago this was the type of game that I would explore to the last square inch on my screen...pausing only to close the curtains and mutter "Outside...BAD". Nowadays I can't even get as far as kidding myself I'll play it again.

I'll never wear tweed. NEVER!

Ha ha! True, true my friend.

Still, I think some games just spark your interest (young or olde) or trigger obsessive game play more than others. For instance, I played Resident Evil 4 into the ground! Seriously, I played it through like 4 or 5 times cause it was an exceptionally super cool game. Likewise with GTA: San Andreas -- I clocked well over a hundred hours on that just for the sheer joy of doing every little thing.

Some of those RPGs though, man, they take FOREVER. I only played one Final Fantasy game -- FFX, i think? the first one on PS2 -- and after what seemed like thousands of hours of gameplay I just completely lost interest. My favorite parts of that game were, of course, the beautiful visuals and the magick/combat styles of the girl characters. After you've cycled through all those animations like 800 times, though, it gets boring...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:59 am

I'd say definitely both...some games make me wanna throw my console out the window and others bring a giddy smile to my face.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:09 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Ha ha! True, true my friend.

Still, I think some games just spark your interest (young or olde) or trigger obsessive game play more than others. For instance, I played Resident Evil 4 into the ground! Seriously, I played it through like 4 or 5 times cause it was an exceptionally super cool game. Likewise with GTA: San Andreas -- I clocked well over a hundred hours on that just for the sheer joy of doing every little thing.

Some of those RPGs though, man, they take FOREVER. I only played one Final Fantasy game -- FFX, i think? the first one on PS2 -- and after what seemed like thousands of hours of gameplay I just completely lost interest. My favorite parts of that game were, of course, the beautiful visuals and the magick/combat styles of the girl characters. After you've cycled through all those animations like 800 times, though, it gets boring...

Yup - I got perspective back now :lol: I love the RPG's but I just don't have the force of determination to see them through anymore. Saying that - I played KOTOR I and II close to each other and got sucked into both wholly. Even II - which I agree with others on, is a heavily flawed game.

As for Final Fantasy...dude, don't get me started. I love those games and hate them in equal measure. If you want to see much of everything there is to explore...if you waant to get your characters up to theri maximum levels...man you're staring down the wrong end of 150+hours of gameplay. But somewhere between FFIX and the one you are taling about - it is FFX - Squaresoft must've hired the guy who came up with the ENDURANCE gameshow as lead game designer.

dodge a bolt of lightining 200 times CONSECUTIVELY? Maaan. There are so many so-called "side-games" that take over 12 hours to complete - but they shouldm only take 5 mins! you do the same thing over and over and over again until finally you fluke a win...get a diamond for your sword or whatever the fuck it is you're after...and on you go.

Problem is..it IS worth getting these extras - and you know once youve played the game once you'll never play it again...so you gotta go for it. but I find myself becoming resentful over it these days.

I think they got it most perfect with FF7 and then not again until KINGDOM HEARTS. I loved the latter for making a dried up husk of a man remember what it was like to read Winnie the Pooh at 6 years of age. It was the most beautiful and tragic I've ever felt in myself at the same time.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Games