Death to the Game Industry : Long Live Games

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Death to the Game Industry : Long Live Games

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:04 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/3

We have to read this for my intro to game design class. It's a pretty good article that deals with the direction the industry has taken and how we can fix it. The guys a bit jaded, but still a quality read and I agree with a lot of it.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:14 pm

I was expecting some long winded article..am I looking on the right page?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:17 pm

Click next, dumbass.

and take notes and give them to me ;)
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:30 pm

I will take no such notes. Yer not the boss 'a meeeee.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:45 pm

Damn...I can't read all that shit. Besides that is all stuff I already knew.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:49 pm

First you want a long-winded article, and then when you get it you say you can't read all that shit... KIDS TAKE NOTE, this is what ten hours of game-playing a day will do to your brain. ;)
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:55 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:First you want a long-winded article, and then when you get it you say you can't read all that shit... KIDS TAKE NOTE, this is what ten hours of game-playing a day will do to your brain. ;)

I think that's part 3 of the article.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:56 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:First you want a long-winded article, and then when you get it you say you can't read all that shit... KIDS TAKE NOTE, this is what ten hours of game-playing a day will do to your brain. ;)

huh - sorry - lost you after "first" what were we talking about... damn 68th level of Tetris... taking up all my time... will i ever get to 69... ok... where were we again... oh ya... the article is too long for my non-attentiveness but too short to tell me anything important - information-wise... does that about cover it... back to tetris...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:59 pm

the article is too long for my non-attentiveness but too short to tell me anything important - information-wise... does that about cover it... back to tetris...

You took the words right outta my mouth
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:57 pm

I'm sorry, but all I saw when I read this was, "Wah, wah, wah! No one wants to play my games. There's no excuse for why gamers don't want them, so I'll blame the producers who won't pay me to make them."
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:02 am

The Ginger Man wrote:I'm sorry, but all I saw when I read this was, "Wah, wah, wah! No one wants to play my games. There's no excuse for why gamers don't want them, so I'll blame the producers who won't pay me to make them."

Yup, annoying. I wish I didn't ahve to listen to these rants, but thats the world we live in. There was another good article at the escapist which told the story of Origin and their takeover by E.A games. Facinating and sad. Yeah, the good old days of bedroom programmers are over... Almost, Grand theft auto is the biggest example of what I would call bedroom deisgn, such risks and free thought, amazing. A personal project just released for people to have fun with. Long live Rockstar, I say.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Agent Alonzo on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:30 am

I am still trying to cross the road at the start of Horace goes Skiing...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:00 am

I got to read about half of it before getting fired for the third time today. Its another great big studly grey area isn't it? Damned if I'm not hungry for the occasional right and wrong angle...but here goes:

I want next generaton games. If the technical leap is significant enough, I'd rebuy all the games I already own, when they were released on the new technology. HD does look exciting.

I don't want any of this to be at the expense of our finding the next Molyneux - which seems to be the authors point.

Y'know...sport has a lot to answer for here. FIFA Soccer for example, famously takes 12 months to organise all of the license agreements between National Associations, Club Associations, Individual Players, Sponsors and so on and so on. Now throw in NFL, NHL, NBA ya de ya de ya da and you see where the enormo budgets get boosted further still.

The same cool cast lists that get us buying games - like Rockstar for example ...well, even those cult stars of yester-year don't come cheap.

But its not like trying to see a hooker in Soho - we do actually get what we pay for. I WANT the real names of my sporting stars. I WANT it to be LUIS GUZMAN that I betray in GTA Vice City - not Erik Estrada for example. And I'll happily pay for the privilege.

But if David Cage was startiing out today,would FAHRENHEIT have even been made? No. Which would be a real shame - you may like Fahrenheit, like me - or you may not. But I loved that it moved games even closer to that cinematic feeling, and tried something different. Most of all I like that it now opens a new door for other developers to walk through.

THE MAN vs the man is a popular theme, but its not pure fiction either. The Games Industry, just like Hollywood, needs to make sure in maximising their profits and sticking with proven formulae, that they don't also staunch the flow of creative talent coming through the ranks....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Games