DS gets a redesign

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

DS gets a redesign

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:03 pm

Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:12 pm

Thats BS...I just bought one and they are already releasing an update. Bastards.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:18 pm

someone post the pic I can't open gaming links at work :(
oh and...
HAHAHAHHAA

you don't see any PSP redesign news. 8)
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:20 pm

Hmmm. No great surprise - Nintendo heavily hinted that there would be an upgrade pretty much as soon as they released the DS, and with stuff like the GBA SP and Micro, we have the precedent already.

What surprises me, is that they seem to have opted for a "DS Micro" rather than a "DS SP" - which was what I expected. Is the screen smaller on this? I already felt it was slightly too small, so going smaller is a perplexing decision. Can't wait for the new Mario & Luigi, Phoenix Wright, and Animal Crossing games though!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:23 pm

Umm...Mario & Luigi and Animal Crossing have already been released...so you can go pick em up!
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:28 pm

Not in the UK buddy.... :wink:

And, while I've been known to import games (Trauma Center doesn't come out here till the end of March - there was no way I was gonna wait for that one), those two are out here in the next couple of weeks, so I can handle the wait.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about that lag between ponds.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:29 pm

And Phionex Wright

*edit* Nm
Last edited by Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:34 pm

What about Phoenix Wright?

You know what Feel the Magic was called in the UK?

Project Rub!

Possibly the lamest name-change ever!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:35 pm

HaHa..that is really lame.

Sounds sexual.

Project Rub: Rated E for everyone.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:37 pm

Exactly! And theridiculous thing is, they changed it because they thought "feel the magic" was too suggestive!

Project Rub sounds like a seedy game played in movie theaters by Pee-Wee Herman.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Man...how some people get thier jobs is beyond me.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:47 pm

The sequel is called Where Do Babies Come From :lol:
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:48 pm

Or...

Project Rub 2: Insertion
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Make sure to lube up your "stylus"
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Pudie wrote:The sequel is called Where Do Babies Come From :lol:

The tragic thing is....you aren't even joking!

Those wacky Japanese folks, eh?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:07 pm

King Psyz wrote:someone post the pic I can't open gaming links at work :(
oh and...
HAHAHAHHAA

I'm still waiting for a good PSP game that I haven't played on PS2. I own both the DS and PSP.

I wish the Screens on the DS were closer together. I was hoping for more not just smaller
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Yeah - in terms of playable games, the DS wipes the floor with the PSP.

As a great man has been known to say:

"Look inna your geek heart, eh? You a know it to be true"

Disclaimer: I think PSPs are very cool toys, they are great for watching movies/cartoons etc on the way to work. They make perfectly adequate MP3 players. I'm sure eventually, they'll have a great catalogue of games, but for now, there are much better games on the DS.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:15 pm

Fuck the PSP. Fuck watching movies on it. Fuck paying $100 for a 1 GB memory stick.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:16 pm

oh and...
HAHAHAHHAA

You also don't see any news about something good coming out for the PSP. Weird how that is.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:47 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
oh and...
HAHAHAHHAA

You also don't see any news about something good coming out for the PSP. Weird how that is.

Actually, they did announce PSP re-design news: supposedly this spring they are going to sell the PSP with a 4 GIG external hard drive that slips into a port somewhere on the system (I lost the link but it was big news a month back). The price should remain the same as one without a HD.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Pudie wrote:Fuck the PSP. Fuck watching movies on it. Fuck paying $100 for a 1 GB memory stick.

The Ginger Man wrote:You also don't see any news about something good coming out for the PSP. Weird how that is.

Brotherhood of the DS.....Unite!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:
oh and...
HAHAHAHHAA

Actually, they did announce PSP re-design news: supposedly this spring they are going to sell the PSP with a 4 GIG external hard drive that slips into a port somewhere on the system (I lost the link but it was big news a month back). The price should remain the same as one without a HD.

That's cool. But are you sure you're not thinking of this?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:20 pm

I just realised, nobody responded to King Psyz's request! Dude, you must work in the most uptight place in the world, because even I can see that link from work, and that is extremely rare for a gaming site. I sure can't get to the link MadCapsule's just posted! Anyway, here she is:

ETA - very similar to the old one, except the Mic is in the middle and the power light and wi-fi light have moved to the center-right
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:36 pm

thanks, it seems odd they would bother with such a non issue in terms of a full redesign. There's gotta be something else in the hardware that mad them want to go back into it.

PSP doesn't have the strongest titles yet, but alot of DS games could fall under that same argument people put against the PSP. A lot of the popular titles are ports of console games, merely adding stylus features or using the second screen as a map.

If you haven't played lumines yet or GTA:LCS multiplayer mode yet you really can't deride the PSP for lack of quality in titles. And I played some of the next gen of PSP titles and they're moving into more exclusive titles built around the PSP. They are also making an 8gb card available for the PSP meaning it will hold tons of data in the near future.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:16 pm

Hmmmm.

Well, these are my favourite DS games, which are either unique to the DS or take an existing game and practically reinvent it:

Trauma Center: Under The Knife
Zoo Keeper
MarioKart DS
Electroplankton
Wario Ware Touched
Yoshi Touch & Go
Pac-Pix

I would count every single one of them as a very good, very original game and generally containing gameplay which can't be found anywhere but the DS. On the PSP, I've only really been impressed by GTA: SA and ISS Pro Evo. The wireless link up is good, but I prefer racing people around the world on MarioKart, and there are more wi-fi titles on the way. The graphics on the PSP are mighty purty, but graphics stopped being a big selling point for me about 4 years ago.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:19 pm

Hey Girl..try Kirby...you'd probably like it...and Mario 64 is pretty sweet too.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:20 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:
oh and...
HAHAHAHHAA

Yes, that's it. But, the difference is that Sony will be distributing their own brand version of the drive and pre-package it with the PSP in the box. There was something else too they were going to add but I can't remember now.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:36 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:
oh and...
HAHAHAHHAA

Yes, that's it. But, the difference is that Sony will be distributing their own brand version of the drive and pre-package it with the PSP in the box. There was something else too they were going to add but I can't remember now.

Very nice! My main beef w/the PSP was that the main reason it cost so mush more than the DS was because of all the useless accessories Sony packaged with it. I don't want the crappy headphones that come with it; I don't want the crappy carrying case; I don't want the crappy white strap and I sure as hell don't want a 32 meg memory stick. If the PSP didn't come with all the extra crap it wouldn't cost a whole lot more than a DS. If Sony decides to sell it w/the 4 gig HD at the current price though, I might be able to justify the price.

And props to whoever mentioned Lumines; that game is like teh crack!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:55 pm

Lumanies is the absolute only reason I want to get a PSP.

GTA:LSC is being ported to the PS2.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:58 pm

Pudie wrote:Lumanies is the absolute only reason I want to get a PSP.

GTA:LSC is being ported to the PS2.

Yeah, that's kinda weird. I wonder if they are gonna redo the game from the ground up, because the graphics might look too hot on a full-sized TV screen.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:42 pm

Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:43 pm

Damn...I wouldn't want that tiny piece of crap anyways. Go to hell Nintendo and quit making everything smaller damnit!! Gamers are growing up...not getting smaller.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:45 pm

I think it looks better.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:47 pm

It "looks" better. I just can't stand them making everything "micro" sized. My long ass fingers cramp up trying to play on the regular sized handhelds.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:48 pm

It looks to be more in line with what the Revolution controller will look like. But I don't think that makes it any better or worse; it just matches.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:11 pm

jgraphix wrote:It "looks" better. I just can't stand them making everything "micro" sized. My long ass fingers cramp up trying to play on the regular sized handhelds.

I think the Micro is too small, but I think the SP is way better then the GBA. Ill wait till I can hold this to see what feels better.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:13 pm

King Psyz wrote:thanks, it seems odd they would bother with such a non issue in terms of a full redesign. There's gotta be something else in the hardware that mad them want to go back into it.

PSP doesn't have the strongest titles yet, but alot of DS games could fall under that same argument people put against the PSP. A lot of the popular titles are ports of console games, merely adding stylus features or using the second screen as a map.

If you haven't played lumines yet or GTA:LCS multiplayer mode yet you really can't deride the PSP for lack of quality in titles. And I played some of the next gen of PSP titles and they're moving into more exclusive titles built around the PSP. They are also making an 8gb card available for the PSP meaning it will hold tons of data in the near future.

I liked both of those games but I still play my DS more. They still need more exclusive (not on PS2 already) content.

And good lord how much is that 8gb card going to cost? As much as the PS3? I shudder to think
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:14 pm

I'll just stick with the one I've got till it breaks or something newer arrives.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
King Psyz wrote:thanks, it seems odd they would bother with such a non issue in terms of a full redesign. There's gotta be something else in the hardware that mad them want to go back into it.

I liked both of those games but I still play my DS more. They still need more exclusive (not on PS2 already) content.

And good lord how much is that 8gb card going to cost? As much as the PS3? I shudder to think

the addition of the 8gb card I was told will drop current price on the 2 gb well below $100 with the 4gb and 8gb debuting at around $200-$300 unfortunately. But if you look at the past of memory cards we all know the price has dropped dramatically, so expect it to be quite a bit less within a year of debut.

and I know they're a long time coming, but PSP exclusives are in development right now.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Return to Games