Playstation 3 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: Playstation 3 Thread

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:01 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Reposting for new people with PS3s.

PSNs wrote:Wonka = wonkabeer
King Psyz = kingpsyz
stereosforgeeks = stereosforgeeks
CeeBeeUK = CeeBeeUK
Brabs = brabs1
Fievel = Fievel75
Bob Poopflingius Maximus = Bob_Samonkey

who else?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

King Psyz = kingpsyz
CeeBeeUK = CeeBeeUK
Brabs = brabs1
Fievel = Fievel75

who else?

Leckomaniac = leckomaniac
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

King Psyz = kingpsyz
CeeBeeUK = CeeBeeUK
Brabs = brabs1
Fievel = Fievel75

who else?

adding this to the first post of the PS3 online community thread
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:The Playstation Move

so very happy about this, can't wait to try SOCOM 4
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:The Playstation Move

Am I the only one getting dirty thoughts looking at this thing? It has dildo written all over it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:23 pm

I don't see what the big deal is... that toy has been out since the 80's!

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey good lookin!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Help! My name is Timmy O' Toole and i've fallen down the well!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:59 pm

So I just got a PS3 for my birthday this weekend. I haven't played a gaming system in about a hundred years (give or take) so my learning curve is going to be steep.

got Call of Duty/Modern Warfare 2 and MLB: The Game.

I was thinking about buying another one this week...some fantasy game like God of War or something like that. Anyone play the Wolfenstein game?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:59 pm

So I just got a PS3 for my birthday this weekend. I haven't played a gaming system in about a hundred years (give or take) so my learning curve is going to be steep.

I was thinking about buying another one this week...some fantasy game like God of War or something like that. Anyone play the Wolfenstein game?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm

You want to see the power of PS3, get MAG

MW2 is cool and all, but 256 live players in a match is something to behold.

Little Big Planet is rad, but might have a sequel on the way. So buy the greatest hits version, only $30 and comes with $30 in free DLC.

The Resistance series is fun, but don't know how much online community is left.

God of War 3 looks awesome, I can't get it because of the sex games and little ones around.

FFXIII is available on 360, but who wants to swap discs and get lower framerates?

GT5 should be ready by Christmastime, so pre-order that.

Modnation Racers should launch soon I think and is awesome.

Ratchet & Clank is some of the best 3D platforming you can play.

Super Street Fighter 4 comes soon, and the PS3 D Pad is much more fighter friendly than 360's.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:31 pm

God of war 3 is indeed awesome. Part way through, and no sexy business so far, but my god its violent. The scale is epic. Its been on hiatus until I got my new tv, but since I got the tv I have so much else to do Ive had no gaming time to get back into it. Soon. Very soon I hope.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:36 pm

so sorry wrote:So I just got a PS3 for my birthday this weekend. I haven't played a gaming system in about a hundred years (give or take) so my learning curve is going to be steep.

Yes & i wouldn't bother with it.
It's not that it's horrible, it's just not up to scratch with the rest of the FPS's on the market. They tried something interesting & it didn't quite work.

As everyone else is saying, get God Of War 3.

@PSYZ, can you try not slagging off the 360 at every chance you get? it lessens the value of everything else in your post.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I think I'm going to get the God of War I/II combo that I saw (for cheap!) and work up my bloodlust, then maybe by the time I'm thru those 2 GoW3 will have come down in price.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:

@PSYZ, can you try not slagging off the 360 at every chance you get? it lessens the value of everything else in your post.

I wasn't slagging, just being honest... FFXIII you HAVE to swap discs on 360 and it's been widely reported to have framerate drops and if you, a SF4 player will honestly say that the 360 has a better DPad than PS3 or no DPad issues you're just being outright dishonest.

This is a PS3 thread, so it would make sense to talk about the strengths and merits of said system here right?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm

so sorry wrote:Thanks for the feedback fellas. I think I'm going to get the God of War I/II combo that I saw (for cheap!) and work up my bloodlust, then maybe by the time I'm thru those 2 GoW3 will have come down in price.

those platnium hits are some of the best deals out, you really can't go wrong with just about anything on the newly updated list.

don't forget to add your PSN to the thread and add all of us too!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:07 pm

King Psyz wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:

I wasn't slagging, just being honest... FFXIII you HAVE to swap discs on 360 and it's been widely reported to have framerate drops and if you, a SF4 player will honestly say that the 360 has a better DPad than PS3 or no DPad issues you're just being outright dishonest.

This is a PS3 thread, so it would make sense to talk about the strengths and merits of said system here right?

Yes, it's strengths (bluray, great usb compatibility, built in wifi, internet browser, the ability to use it as a media center...) are all worth discussing, praising, etc.

It's merits: the usb device functionality (again), the ability to swap the HDD out for any other sata hdd, the option to install a 3rd part operating system (as long as you have an older model & don't update, i guess, but that's not the point). Those are what i see as Sony's strong points. They are working towards a standard for gaming that Microsoft are only half heartedly attempting right now & Nintendo really don't give a shit about at this point in time.

However, talking about the weakness of another system all together is off topic & pointless, given what So Sorry asked.

So Sorry made a post in this, the ps3 thread, saying that he just got a ps3 & was wondering what game to buy next. From that post, i noticed:
1) That he doesn't care about playing games on anything other than the ps3 right now.
2) That he was looking for a good fantasy game.
3) That he wanted to know of the latest Wolfenstein game was any good.

If he was thinking of getting Final Fantasy XIII, he'd want to know if the story is involving & all those other things that make a game good, not the difference between formats. No matter what machine you/he/I choose to play it on, the game will still have major story & gameplay issues, a shitty leveling system & very annoying characters.

As for SSFIV, regardless of the system of choice, you should be using an arcade stick. If an arcade stick is out of the budget, fightpads were produced for both systems & have the same design (roughly) as the Saturn pad, a perfect layout for any fighting game that requires 6 buttons.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:26 pm

oh geez, I made a list of recomended titles, for the two I recomended that were multiplatform I gave my reasons for buying the PS3 version VS the 360 version.

Don't like my reasons, fair enough. But they're still reasons.

FFXIII does have annoying characters, who are also starting to grow on me the more I play. The leveling system can be confusing, but so wast he sphere grid. I do hope they go with a more straight forward system in the future. I hate overcomplicated UIs.

If you're thinking of getting wolfenstein... well you can download the old school one for a few bucks... other than that, pass.

I should also add Uncharted 2 to the recomended list, I played only the online demo but it was a blast.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks again fellas. My usage is probably going to be limited, as my attention span (small) and real world responsibilities (large) will prevent me from getting too into gaming as a whole. I expect to use it more for the Blu-ray feature (I know, stupid me could have bought a bluray player cheaper), and the fact that I wanted a new gadget for my b-day!

But maybe, just maybe, I'll get super hooked on some game and create an online thingie and join you guys for a virtual romp.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm

so sorry wrote:Thanks again fellas. My usage is probably going to be limited, as my attention span (small) and real world responsibilities (large) will prevent me from getting too into gaming as a whole. I expect to use it more for the Blu-ray feature (I know, stupid me could have bought a bluray player cheaper), and the fact that I wanted a new gadget for my b-day!

But maybe, just maybe, I'll get super hooked on some game and create an online thingie and join you guys for a virtual romp.

Short attention span, limited time is my story as well.

MAG is hillaiously fun, I can usually find a match any time of day or night. Largest matches are half an hour max. But play one of those and you'll get your war fix.

Little Big Planet is great because it's a process once you start building levels, and it's easily something you can tinker with on and off and come back to it anytime.

Ratchet and Clank is great for small bouts of platforming, and depsite some issues, FFXIII is still fun and a ton of save points make short stints easy to do.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:06 pm

King Psyz wrote:oh geez, I made a list of recomended titles, for the two I recomended that were multiplatform I gave my reasons for buying the PS3 version VS the 360 version.

Don't like my reasons, fair enough. But they're still reasons.

FFXIII does have annoying characters, who are also starting to grow on me the more I play. The leveling system can be confusing, but so wast he sphere grid. I do hope they go with a more straight forward system in the future. I hate overcomplicated UIs.

If you're thinking of getting wolfenstein... well you can download the old school one for a few bucks... other than that, pass.

I should also add Uncharted 2 to the recomended list, I played only the online demo but it was a blast.

My point was that it doesn't matter if those games are multiplatform, So Sorry is asking the question in the ps3 thread, so he's already made up his mind what system to buy games for. It's not about liking your reasons, it's that he doesn't need a reason to buy them on the ps3 (other than wanting to play them), because that's only the console he has.

I'd Suggest The Orange Box. Half Life 2 was a really good game, episodes 1 & 2 were good, Portal is great & TF2 kicks ass. It may lead to FPS overkill though. Also, EA were dicks about patching TF2, so it suffers from bugs & glitches.

Other recommendations: Heavy Rain, Brutal Legend, Lego Star Wars, Dirt 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Killzone 2 &, if you really need a WW2 FPS, CoD:WaW.

If you only have a FPS & a sports game right now, you're probably better off getting different types of games (driving, fighting, adventure, etc.) until you find out what you like.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:54 pm

I just noticed that the 2 GTA4 episodes are now available on the playstation store. I had a ton of fun playing them on the 360, so I heartily recommend them. (You need to own the disc game of GTA4 for them to work (point aimed towards those who dont know this)) I dont know if there are plans to bring out just these 2 episodes on one playable disc, but their may well be, as they done the same for the 360.

The lost and the damned is a great biker romp, and I dont think I drove a car the whole game, unless I had too. Great story, some nice new weapons, and gallows humour.

The ballad of Dumbledore Tony, again, superb. Getting back to the OTT fun of vice city, but in the new york setting. Some truly mental missions, which should make the coldest heart grin.
Scaring the game worlds version of Perez Hilton on one mission has to be seen to be believed. I also recommend the disco dancing minigame. Particularly in the Dumbledore club. Hilarious. Getting shitfaced in the club is pretty funny too. But I wont spoil anything. Some more lovely new weapons too.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Hermanator X wrote:The ballad of Dumbledore Tony, ..... Particularly in the Dumbledore club.

Just when I hate the word filters something like this makes me laugh!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
I'd Suggest The Orange Box. Half Life 2 was a really good game, episodes 1 & 2 were good, Portal is great & TF2 kicks ass. It may lead to FPS overkill though. Also, EA were dicks about patching TF2, so it suffers from bugs & glitches.

Yeah, you need to pass on Orange Box. I have never played a game as buggy as this, even when I did beta network tests for PS2, avoid at all costs.

You get none of the new content and everything is sub par to the point of being totally broken.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:17 am

Fievel wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:The ballad of Dumbledore Tony, ..... Particularly in the Dumbledore club.

Just when I hate the word filters something like this makes me laugh!

haha. I didnt even think of that, or check my post after filing. God damn it.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Thu May 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Howdy, y'all
Looking to drum up interest in forming a posse for Red Dead Redemption on PS3. I also posted this in the Red Dead Redemption thread and it was suggested I try here.
Anyone else got this game and interested in some online gang raiding and/or ad-hoc law enforcement?
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:56 pm

so sorry wrote:Thanks again fellas. My usage is probably going to be limited, as my attention span (small) and real world responsibilities (large) will prevent me from getting too into gaming as a whole. I expect to use it more for the Blu-ray feature (I know, stupid me could have bought a bluray player cheaper), and the fact that I wanted a new gadget for my b-day!

Well here I am a month later, and turns out I managed to find a few hours that didn't exist to play more PS3. I'm waiting until the wifey goes to bed around 10:30, then getting my PS3 on for about an hour and a half. Doing this about 3-4 days a week now. I am completely hooked on Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, and doing the online battles has turned out to be a shitload of fun (after the first 4-5 hours of me just getting slaughtered by the experts). My handle is GMV6294 in case anyone is interested. Hopefully I'll move on to another game soon... :oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:14 pm

After begging my wife for an X-Box 360 for nearly 2 years now, we now have a PS3. D'oh! :-P

Actually, it was my idea. She really wanted a Wii, but all I see are kids games when I look at that stuff. There is a lot of overlap between X-Box 360 games and PS3 games, plus PS3 has BD capability, so that ultimately swayed my decision.

We bought Band Hero and The Force Unleashed just to have something to try out. I'm not really into FPS games since I basically suck at them, and I don't play video sports, so what else is out there? I could be up for some co-op at some point. Someone has to be the first one dead, it might as well be me. :wink:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:19 pm

RogueScribner wrote:After begging my wife for an X-Box 360 for nearly 2 years now, we now have a PS3. D'oh! :-P

Actually, it was my idea. She really wanted a Wii, but all I see are kids games when I look at that stuff. There is a lot of overlap between X-Box 360 games and PS3 games, plus PS3 has BD capability, so that ultimately swayed my decision.

We bought Band Hero and The Force Unleashed just to have something to try out. I'm not really into FPS games since I basically suck at them, and I don't play video sports, so what else is out there? I could be up for some co-op at some point. Someone has to be the first one dead, it might as well be me. :wink:

Well Super Street Fighter IV is a winner

Your wife still gets to get her Wii on this September when Move comes out, should be $100 for the starter kit with camera, controller, and two games.

You should look for Little Big Planet and get your practice in for Little Big Planet 2 this fall, it's hillariously fun platforming and when you're done you can make your own platformers or whatever else and play 2 million community made levels.

God of War series is great fun.

Ratchet & Clank games are great action games.

Katamari is rad as hell

Force Unleashed is fun, you should dig it and the new one comes out this winter.

I am picking up Transformers:War for Cybertron tomorrow, looks to be a blast. Online arcade style drop in/out co-op and 3rd person shooting/action.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:55 pm

The Batman Arkham Asylum game is really cool as well, and has a sequel coming out.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh yeah, I need to get that one! 8-)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm

So I'm playing The Force Unleashed. So far so good. I think I missed a cut scene or something because somehow I lost track of what the story is, but I guess I know enough so I'm not completely lost.

My one complaint: saving the game apparently means nothing since when you die you have to repeat the scene all over again anyway! I slipped and fell mere inches from completing one scene and gave up in frustration. What's the point of the save feature if it auto saves at the beginning of each scene and forces you to play from there if you die? Grrr.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Got Transformers War for Cybertron a little while ago, so much fun.

It's CARnage... hahaha I made a funny...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:29 am

Hey PS3ers. Mass Effect 2 is coming to your machine. The first one wont be due to Microsofts involvement in the development, but I reckon you can get enough enjoyment out of it without the first one. Tis a superb game that I need to play through again, if only I had the time!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 am

Hermanator X wrote:Hey PS3ers. Mass Effect 2 is coming to your machine. The first one wont be due to Microsofts involvement in the development, but I reckon you can get enough enjoyment out of it without the first one. Tis a superb game that I need to play through again, if only I had the time!!

Wow! :shock:
I may have to pick that one up!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Hey PS3ers. Mass Effect 2 is coming to your machine. The first one wont be due to Microsofts involvement in the development, but I reckon you can get enough enjoyment out of it without the first one. Tis a superb game that I need to play through again, if only I had the time!!

But I want the first one, too!!

Damn Microsoft.

I will be buying ME2 though, for sure.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Yeah my PS3 is gonna make me broke over the next 6 months or so...

Move
Gran Turismo 5
Little Big Planet 2
ME2
Force Unleashed 2

I know there's more, but those are the top of my list
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:58 pm

I so want DC Universe Online. Even ready to buy a PS3 for it.

But I'm having second thoughts. Do I really want to buy the system just for this game? What good games are there, other than DCUO, exclusively for the PS3?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:50 pm

IGN recently did a Top 25 Games for the PS3.
It was a mix of exclusives and multi-platform games, but it's still a decent list.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Fievel wrote:IGN recently did a Top 25 Games for the PS3.
It was a mix of exclusives and multi-platform games, but it's still a decent list.

Interesting. Very interesting. That Uncharted 2 looks sharp.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:46 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Fievel wrote:IGN recently did a Top 25 Games for the PS3.

Interesting. Very interesting. That Uncharted 2 looks sharp.

Good list! Valkyria Chronicles is a great game though Im having problems beating it. SRPGs are not my forte.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DocBosch on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 am

Hey Guys,

I'm not much of a gamer, but I've been wanting to buy a system for a while now. I've decided on the PS3 over the Xbox mainly because of Blu-Ray.

My dilemma now is deciding which model to buy. I love the GTA games, and was hoping to be able to also play GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas on the PS3. So I can get a new PS3 "Slim" for $300, or a used PS3 80GB (that can play PS2 games) for $300 from GameStop.

What do you all think? Is it worth getting a used, older model PS3 (for the same price as a new one) in order to play older games? Is there a chance that the PS3 80GB won't even be able to play the older GTA games? Is there an incentive to getting the newer PS3 model (like Move)? (What exactly is Move; it it just for specific games, or can it be used for any game, like SW: Unleashed?)

The money isn't really the issue; I'm not worried about spending the $300 either way. I'm more worried about buying a used, older model of a system, and maybe limiting myself in the process. Then again, GTA may be the main reason why I'm buying a gaming system at all, and would really like to play all the older games i love.

I'd like to have a little insight. Thanks
DocBosch
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:33 am

PS2's are still for sale and absolutely dirt cheap. Better off with one of those, and a new ps3 for the newer games/blu ray.
The ps2 slim is about the size of a dvd box, so its not like it takes up much room.
I have one in a shoe box with some games I have held onto, and plug it in now and again, but not that often to be honest.
Funnily enough, one of the reasons is the GTA Vice City Stories, the spin off vice city game, which has a totally different and killer soundtrack too. I still havent got to the mission where Phil Collins plays himself tho. :(
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:55 am

Wait, the newer slim PS3s can't play PS2 games?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 am

so sorry wrote:Wait, the newer slim PS3s can't play PS2 games?

Nope.
They took the backwards compatibility out a long time before the slims hit the market. Something like 6 months after the initial launch. But you can download and pay for many ps1 games (which will then play on your ps3 or psp)!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby DocBosch on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks for the input. I think you said pretty much what I wanted to hear, I just needed to hear it from somebody. I think I feel better buying the brand new PS3, enjoying what it offers, and THEN buying a PS2 if I ever find myself missing the old GTA games. I'm not sure why I was so adamant about having backward-compatibility; I never expected as much from any of the consoles I owned in the past (granted, the last one I had was a ps1), it just seemed like a good thing to have.

Thanks again.
DocBosch
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:03 pm

I have no idea where I read it, but I recently read somewhere about the possibility of a USB add-on that would allow backwards compatibility of some sort. Or maybe it was in a dream. I don't really know. I got my fill of the GTA games with the PS2 and had no interest in GTA4, but there's always that game for the PS3.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: PSP2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

PSP2 Announced, Codenamed NGP - Sony claims its graphics will rival the PlayStation 3.
Jim Reilly, Greg Miller and Scott Lowe wrote:Sony formally revealed the heavily-rumored PSP2 in Japan today. The device has been codenamed NGP for "next generation portable." It is set for release by the end of 2011. Pricing information was not provided.

Critical Details

NGP will use a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. The cards will store full game titles and add-on game content or save data. Sony notes that they'll be able to provide higher capacity cards in the future to allow developers to store more game data. The device also supports PlayStation Network Trophies.

The NGP contains a touch screen on top and a touch pad on the bottom. This will allow players to interact with games through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" moves of the fingers.

The Release Date and Price

Sadly, the release date and price were not revealed. However, Sony did say that the NGP would be out for the 2011 holiday season.

The Games

The NGP's debut party saw Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet and Call of Duty take the stage, but most were just tech demos. So far, more than 10 third-parties are listed a supporting the NGP. Click here to read more and see them all.

How does it Feel?

To quote IGN Editor in the field Ryan Clements "sexy." Clements got to fool around with the device in Japan, and he seemed pretty impressed. "The NGP is comfortable and stylish. The layout of the sticks felt fantastic and controlling Drake in Uncharted was just like using a DualShock. Yoshida expressed his immense pride in the joysticks, as they seem to balance small size with comfortable, accurate input." Click here to read more from Clements' hands-on time.

The Interface: LiveArea

NGP, the successor to the PlayStation Portable, is getting an all-new interface. Dubbed LiveArea, the program acts as a hub page for games, and like the XMB before it, LiveArea allows users to hop between the different parts of the PlayStation space. Want to know more about the live message boards and 3G connectivity? More on LiveArea.

PlayStation Suite

Ever wish you could play PlayStation games on your smartphone or tablet? Sony aims to do precisely that with PlayStation Suite, their new unified gaming platform for Android 2.3. Click here for more on PlayStation Suite.

Hardware Specs

CPU:

ARM Corte-A9 core (4 core)

GPU:

SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions:

Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen:

(Touch screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad:

Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras:

Front camera, Rear camera

Sound:

Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone

Sensors:

Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)

Three-axis electronic compass

Built-in GPS

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys/Switches:

PS button

Power button

Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)

Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)

Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)

Right stick, Left stick

START button, SELECT button

Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless Communications:

Mobile network connectivity (3G)

IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)

(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:04 am

...and I just bought a PSP last week. :(

Kidding! I bought it a couple months after initial launch. :oops: There were some decent games for it. The God of War games were awesome. Sadly, over the six years I've owned that thing, I've used it the most to watch movies on airplanes.

But THIS thing.... THIS.... :shock: A quad core processor on that thing? Crazy. OLED?? Fucking SWEET!! (and that's OLED, not OLEG you crazy bastards!). Two analog sticks? ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!!
I just don't get the controller thing on the back side. The term "reach-around" instantly comes to mind.
The new flash memory thing is a little :roll: -inducing, though. Sony already has their proprietary Memory Stick Pro-Duo... why not just use those?

Sounds like they've got some good initial support, though. I just hope that unlike the PSP1 and the PS3, that this will be a final/perfected design before it's launched. How pissed are the people that bought the PSP Go?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Games