Playstation 3 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: Playstation 3 Thread

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Yeah, it kind of takes awhile to get through Assassin's Creed IV. With all the crap you can do/collect in that game I logged 72 hours before I beat it. I was a little disappointed that I could not get the elite fire barrel storage (no wireless adapter for my 360) but at least I got to sink all 5 legendary ships.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Fievel wrote:IGN's The Last of Us Review (Spoiler - 10/10)

I will own this.

I've read a few reviews of this game, and none of them have been anything short of glowing praise. Like over the top too good to be true praise. Like people were on the verge of tears playing this game praise.

I wish I had more time on my hands to work an immersive game like this into my life. As it is now, I'm in a game rut with Call of Duty (like the past 5 installments are the only video games I've played in the past 10 years)....its real easy to sit down for 30-40 minutes (at 11 o'clock at night) and shoot shit real fast, then turn it off and go to bed. A game like The Last of Us feels like it requires more of my attention, which I can't give it.

So I will play this game thru you Zoners...let me know if we had a good time!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm kind of at a nice breaking point in ACIV, so maybe I'll just jump into TLOU. Open world games are the death of me. I have too much fun exploring and doing side missions!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 pm

so sorry wrote:

I will own this.

I've read a few reviews of this game, and none of them have been anything short of glowing praise. Like over the top too good to be true praise. Like people were on the verge of tears playing this game praise.

I wish I had more time on my hands to work an immersive game like this into my life. As it is now, I'm in a game rut with Call of Duty (like the past 5 installments are the only video games I've played in the past 10 years)....its real easy to sit down for 30-40 minutes (at 11 o'clock at night) and shoot shit real fast, then turn it off and go to bed. A game like The Last of Us feels like it requires more of my attention, which I can't give it.

Amazon had it down to $29 so I finally picked it up (Life has made me such a frugal gamer!) a couple weeks ago. Holy crap do I love being in this world!!!! I should preface any further comment by saying that I am a post-apocalyptic junkie, so this is definitely my type of game. I've been able to get away with playing 2 hour stretches here and there, but I've also turned off the machine at 3am once, too. But I still haven't had the time to play as often as I'd like.

But yeah, the game - a lot of fun so far.... I absolutely love the story. That's the best thing about it for me - the story, the story, the story. The gameplay is okay. I don't think I've really got far in the game where I'm really mastering the gameplay yet, but that's okay. I'm just loving the story and the atmosphere at this point, and that's fine with me.

Speaking of being a frugal gamer - having a Playstation Plus membership has been my primary source of new gaming for the past 8 months or so. Sometimes you get a so-so game, but when it's a blockbuster (Bioshock Infinite).... holy shit.... membership is more than paid for.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 am

i just joined PSN Plus (due to the whole dying PS3, wanting to back up my saved games thingie). how do i get in on these free games?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:07 am

TheBaxter wrote:i just joined PSN Plus (due to the whole dying PS3, wanting to back up my saved games thingie). how do i get in on these free games?

Go to Playstation Network
-it's under Playstation+, Free Games

Make sure you have adequate space on your hard drive, because you're downloading the entire game.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i just joined PSN Plus (due to the whole dying PS3, wanting to back up my saved games thingie). how do i get in on these free games?

Go to Playstation Network
-it's under Playstation+, Free Games

Make sure you have adequate space on your hard drive, because you're downloading the entire game.

well my replacement PS3 is a 500GB model, so i should be good there.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:

I will own this.

Amazon had it down to $29 so I finally picked it up (Life has made me such a frugal gamer!) a couple weeks ago. Holy crap do I love being in this world!!!! I should preface any further comment by saying that I am a post-apocalyptic junkie, so this is definitely my type of game. I've been able to get away with playing 2 hour stretches here and there, but I've also turned off the machine at 3am once, too. But I still haven't had the time to play as often as I'd like.

But yeah, the game - a lot of fun so far.... I absolutely love the story. That's the best thing about it for me - the story, the story, the story. The gameplay is okay. I don't think I've really got far in the game where I'm really mastering the gameplay yet, but that's okay. I'm just loving the story and the atmosphere at this point, and that's fine with me.

Speaking of being a frugal gamer - having a Playstation Plus membership has been my primary source of new gaming for the past 8 months or so. Sometimes you get a so-so game, but when it's a blockbuster (Bioshock Infinite).... holy shit.... membership is more than paid for.

The Last of Us to be adapted into a feature film
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:55 pm

I started playing the game last night and I'm about 45% through. Yes, since last night I've played nearly 10 hours. It's very mood and story driven. The game play itself isn't necessarily something new, but the focus on creating a specific atmosphere and some well rounded characters make this game pretty compelling. I'm a spoiler whore, so I know where it leads, but I can't wait to see how it gets there. :)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:01 pm

i finished the game. it doesn't surprise me they're making it into a movie, it feels like a movie script that was turned into a game, not the other way around. i don't play a lot of games like this, where it's more like a linear interactive story, but it seems like this one is more cinematic in scope than the usual. you could practically just string together all the cut scenes and release those as a (very R-rated) animated film. there are definitely some scenes that feel more emotionally suited to a film (like the part with a herd of... well, i don't want to spoil it).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i finished the game. it doesn't surprise me they're making it into a movie, it feels like a movie script that was turned into a game, not the other way around. i don't play a lot of games like this, where it's more like a linear interactive story, but it seems like this one is more cinematic in scope than the usual. you could practically just string together all the cut scenes and release those as a (very R-rated) animated film. there are definitely some scenes that feel more emotionally suited to a film (like the part with a herd of... well, i don't want to spoil it).

just a hint... if you haven't played the game yet, then don't watch the new PS4 version's trailer which spoils the exact moment i tried not to spoil above, and was one of my favorite moments of the game.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:36 am

Finally finished Last of Us. Having three kids has really, REALLY thrown my gaming time for a loop - especially something so Mature in content! It was really hard to find time to play this game and drawing it out over a few months sucked. But having said that....

I loved the game, but the ending threw me for a loop. All I had heard about since it was released was "The Ending" over and over. I assumed it meant (ENDING SPOILER) someone (Joel or Ellie) died. What happened instead seemed more like an Alternate Ending from a movie's DVD or something. I was actually disappointed as it seemed to simply set up the game for a sequel - with or without this game's leads. But the rest of the game was just pure amazing. I look forward to more games that focus on quality storytelling like this did.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 pm

It wasn't setting up a sequel so much as you really get the sense by the end that Joel is kind of a monster. He likely ruined the cure for the zombie plague all so he could play house with Ellie, who really wasn't interested in doing that. She wanted to honor the memory of her friend and others that sacrificed for her. Ellie wanted to help people and Joel took that choice away from her and lied about it for selfish reasons. Understandable reasons? Sure. But selfish all the same. He turned Ellie into his surrogate daughter and he didn't care who else died, he had to keep her alive.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Previous

Return to Games