Playstation 3 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:43 pm

Ocarina of Time is my favourite Zelda game, it changed my life....I've never been so completly enveloped in a game before (possible exception of Goldeneye), during the summer instead of going out side I used to spend my time at Hyrule Lake fishing for gods sake!

If that trailer is anything to go by (which has been around for a while now) then we are all in for a treat, cant wait!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:56 pm

Agreed lugz, OOT was an outstanding example of craftsmanship and ingenuity. A classic that supercedes the medium if you ask me.

I dug my N64 out a couple of years ago, and played them all again, but I never did quite manage to finish Goldeneye on the very hardset settings... It was always that very last level...

And sepp, if you look around, I'm sure you'll get an absoloute bargain for a gamecube bundle. They were going dirt cheap last time I looked. You'll probably pick up all the quality games now for less than 20 quid, especially if you go second hand. Enjoy my friend!!!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:58 pm

Flumm!! you "dug your N64 out".....It should never have gone away!!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:59 pm

I remember having a stab at The Wind Waker back when it came out in the local Game store. I think the experience would have been improved if I'd had some kind of idea how to use the Gamecube controls- and it's not exactly a pick up and play sort of game. I'll add that to my list when I get the console tomorrow. Thanks for the advice guys.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:04 pm

I always buy the consoles way too late. I bought an N64 off a friend pretty much when they'd been deleted. Goldeneye was a classic though, and Mario64 was playable (despite the dodgy camera angles)... I'm a Platform man though, so I loved it all the same.

Anyone ever played the original Mario RPG? I don't think it was released in the UK, like the original Final Fantasies, but I think I somehow got a hold of a copy. Almost as good as Zelda, not quite, but it was definitely a classy game in its own right.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Flumm on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:06 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Flumm!! you "dug your N64 out".....It should never have gone away!!!

HAhahahhaha! Oh but I paid my dues, I swear! I got a lot of use out the thing. Damn, in the early days, I even had hte naive hope that it would rub hte ps2 into the ground...

:cry:

If you think that's a crime, you should see what I did to my PS after a few years. I think I watched "Hackers", and besides gawping at the splendour of a pre Tomb Raider Angelina Jolie, I decided that I would spray my PS all camo like Johnny Lee Miller did his laptop.... except I only had blue.

Not the best move I ever made.

Oh, and my xbox is sitting at an awkward angle in the alcove by the TV, among some old wires and VHS tapes.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:10 pm

Flumm wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Flumm!! you "dug your N64 out".....It should never have gone away!!!

HAhahahhaha! Oh but I paid my dues, I swear! I got a lot of use out the thing. Damn, in the early days, I even had teh naive hope that it would rub teh ps2 into the ground...

That's nothing, I still connect my Dreamcast to the internet every couple of weeks with the futile hope that somebody else will want to play Online Chu Chu Rocket with me...Sadly nobody ever comes :(.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:11 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Flumm wrote:

HAhahahhaha! Oh but I paid my dues, I swear! I got a lot of use out the thing. Damn, in the early days, I even had teh naive hope that it would rub teh ps2 into the ground...

That's nothing, I still connect my Dreamcast to the internet every couple of weeks with the futile hope that somebody else will want to play Online Chu Chu Rocket with me...Sadly nobody ever comes :(.

I still weep over the demise of the Dreamcast, why didn't people realise what they had there?
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm

I guess the allure of the dark side (the sleek, black and jagged PS2) was too much for them to handle. I'm still not sure what happened there; all I know is despite going on open-decked buses and shouting out The Truth: "You fools, buy a Dreamcast now and know the meaning of true celestial nirvana!", it still folded like a wet cigar anyway. I guess the world just wasn't ready for it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DiscoBobElated on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:22 pm

What is the big deal with having Blu-ray DVD in a gaming system other than playing movies? Sure, there may be a few games that will require multiple discs, but so what? That hasn't bothered me in the past with my Gamecube. What is the big advantage?

And people keep mentioning the PS3 and Revolution being backwards compatible as though the 360 isn't. I got the 360 for Christmas and bought an obscure $20 original Xbox game. I put the disc in the 360, it took 10 seconds to download an update and it was ready to play. There is a very large list of backwards compatible games for the 360, plus there's the Xbox Live Arcade where you can download older classic games for a couple of bucks apiece. So all 3 systems are backwards compatible.

Zombie: Enough already! We KNOW that Sony "pwns" the market! Who cares?
DiscoBobElated
GLIB

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:38 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Sony should have held on to Shadow of the Colossus for a PS3 launch title. I have not played it yet ( has anyone in the U.S. played it yet? ), but ICO was a classic and this looks the business too - all the hype it's getting would have given the PS3 an extra boost.

I have. It is really fun and beautiful. The only problem I had with it is I beat it in 2 days. And I was not sitting around all day doing either. It was after I got home from work.

Don't get me wrong though. Talk about immersion. I felt like I was holding on to the back of the monsters. There are some really intense parts. Esp. with the airborne monsters.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Carolian on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:39 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:Sony should have held on to Shadow of the Colossus for a PS3 launch title. I have not played it yet ( has anyone in the U.S. played it yet? ), but ICO was a classic and this looks the business too - all the hype it's getting would have given the PS3 an extra boost.

I have. It is really fun and beautiful. The only problem I had with it is I beat it in 2 days. And I was not sitting around all day doing either. It was after I got home from work.

Don't get me wrong though. Talk about immersion. I felt like I was holding on to the back of the monsters. There are some really intense parts. Esp. with the airborne monsters.

I've wanted to play that for a while now, but my local video store only has ONE COPY, and it's always out. It looks amazing.

Come to think of it, when I rented games the other day, I didn't even check to see if it was in...

Oh, God damn it, it probably was. Pffft.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:52 pm

Just started playing it tonight, and I've already gone thru 4 colossi. I shut it off because I don't want it to end too quickly. It has a very cinematic feel to it.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:43 pm

DiscoBobElated wrote:What is the big deal with having Blu-ray DVD in a gaming system other than playing movies?

1. High Definition
2. Storage, Storage, Storage

It's mostly my hope that the sporting games (read: Madden) will have their Franchise/Owner modes explode with position coaches, quality minor league (NFL Europe, NBA Dev. League, etc.) gameplay, better AI, etc.
As far as regular games, the amount and quality of levels and maps should blow up as well. Why? Simply because that much more information/programming can be put on one Blu-Ray disc as opposed to a DVD.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:14 am

King Psyz wrote:
katamari damacy.

Yeah...not developed by Sony. That was Konami, if I remember correctly.

I'm not saying the PS2 doesn't have some great games. Katamari and Shadow of the Colossus spring instantly to mind. But Sony just makes a console with a button-studded controller and expects other companies to pick up the slack in innovation. I think that's pretty dangerous in the gaming world.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:18 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:\

Wow, for some reason I've been brainwashed against the Gamecube, even with my big-time Link-Love, but if this turns out to be any good I'll have to snap-up a secondhand console and buy all the Zelda games I can find. A Link to the Past is a damn classic. And just think, it all began with the words: "I am in the dungeon of the castle. Please help me!--- Princess Zelda".

Yep, that's it, I need more Zelda. I imagine the Gamecube will have a slightly longer lifespan than the PS2, with the Revolution taking so long to come out, so I'm gonna buy one tomorrow. All thanks to that one link of yours Doglips...what's it like knowing you can change the world [my world] with one post?

Actually, the Revolution is probably hitting shelves before the PS3. Still, a used GameCube is a good investment: RE4 (one of the best games I've ever played) on the GC looks better and plays much more smoothly than the PS2 version, and "The Wind Waker", while the art takes some adjustment, is classic Zelda all the way.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby darylzero2006 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:05 am

HERE IT IS PEEPS. ITS CALLED COMMON SENSE!

The so called 'next generation' battle is about previous standards. When ytou look at it realistically, then the last time there was a leap in generation it was when the sega dreamcast popped up. I am not going to go into why, but if anyone thinks about it that was it.
The 360 and PS3 are going to be neck and neck dpending on what markets you look at. Will the PS3 crush the 360 in Japan?....YES!!!! Will the 360 be not only competitive, but possibly outperform the PS3 in the U.S.?....MAYBE!.
The real question is twofold.....do you live in the U.S.? Well if you do, then Xbox live (which anyone that has a any ability to comprehend logic will understand that Microsoft has not only won that battle, but can't even be competed with).
the second question is are you ready to let go of the "exclusive" mold? Its a fact that GTA will be multi platform, everything EA will be multiplatform, Resident Evil will be on the 360....It will come down to LESS than you think.

Would you rather pay 400 for a loaded 360 or X$ for a PS3 that may or may not be better (WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT MOST GAMES WILL BE CROSS PLATFORM AND BASICALLY BE THE FUKING SAME) or are you one to pick Metal Gear Solid over Halo?

IT WILL ALL BOIL DOWN TO WHAT EXCLUSIVE GAMES YOU PREFER. Considering Final Fantasy (yes its the MMORPG only at this point) will be on the 360, how long is it before you can get any game you could dream of (unless you are japanese by birth) for a couple hundred cheaper than the PS3, which hasn't even figured out where to put the ventilation on their box?
darylzero2006
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:22 am

MS has stated that Xbox 360 sales were slower than expected, but as has been stated above it was due to production issues, not due to lack of demand:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/microsoft_xbox_dc

360 is getting crushed in Japan. Surprised? didn't think so, Xbox will never, ever compete in Japan.

Whether it's a marketing ploy or not, the truth is 360s have flown off the shelves everywhere but in Japan. It's still virtually impossible to get ahold of one in the U.S. without a waiting list. If MS has made Y number of Xboxes and it has sold Y number of Xboxes + Z number of Xboxes via presales and waiting lists, to say that sales have been abysmal just seems a little silly. 360's are selling as fast as they are produced, even now, nearly 3 months after the holidays.

Sony still holds the lion share of the market, and will probably continue to. MS will absolutely gain some market share, however. Someone mentioned the "normal everyday gamer" above. Common sense says, to me at least, that gamers, particularly young gamers, aren't great at waiting months and months for the next gen. If there is a viable alternative already available with equivalent technology a share of former PS2 owners will buy a 360. Many of these everyday gamers (or their parents) will refuse to buy an equivalent machine a few months later. This equates into a loss of market share. Probably not a cataclysmic loss, but a loss nonetheless.

Xbox is doing just fine.

By the way, I don't have a 360 yet, haven't been able to get ahold of one, but am I missing something about the backward compatability thing? ZZS seemed to imply that 360 is not backwards compatable, and yet I found the following list. Is it wrong/hype/out and out lies?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:03 am

well from what i understand about the whole backwards compatibility thing is for the gamers not hooked up to the internet (which for the most part casual gamers are not all online) you're shit out of luck if you own a 360 and want to play an old xbox title.

if you own the ps3 and don't have an internet connection, no worries because you can play ps, ps2, ps3 right out the box. I'd say more than 100m homes in the us have at least a ps1 by this point, if not much more. So those of them who only plan to buy on next gen box and if their ps1/2 is looking to be replaced and they also don't want to invest in a next gen dvd format and a next gen console will more than likely hold out for ps3.

i wouldn't worry too much about the cost keeping sales down either, one people have gotten the buzz early. Early enough to start thinking about saving enough for say, next christmas to pay $500 for theri next gen box for the kids. also, even though the sticker price is lower on the 360 launch than the ps3 launch will be, if price were a factor for many of these parents at christmas time, then nobody would have paid thousands on ebay for one (those poor bastards, spent thousands on a machine that may or may not melt down and if the seller didn't send them the reciept good luck getting a replacement in a timely matter).

to me, the reason i'm not considering the 360 is because it's not a full next gen machine. it feels like xbox 1.5, and a lot of people feel the same. i played it before release at SEMA here and was unimpressed. sure the rendering was smooth and all on the racing games, but nothing that blew me away. granted i havn't seen an actual ps3 running software yet, so it could change, but if the video i saw on gameplay comes reality then it will be a next gen leap for ps3.

with the inclusion of blu-ray, that's just an added bonus to me. sure 360 can get hd-dvd, but you have to pay to add it on down the road and it will be for movies only. not increased game storage.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby darylzero2006 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:01 am

read my screenname to figure out what is going on. Unbelievable what people regurgitate.
darylzero2006
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 am

thedoglippedone wrote:I cannot wait for the Revolution, 2007 is fine by me as Twilight Princess is out this year - U.S. in April ( possibly ) so we will get it in the Autumn I suppose. However it has been reported that TP will be fully compatible with the Revolution controllers so Nintendo may delay for a dual GC/Rev release.

Hear, hear! I didn't know that about a possible dual release. In some ways, I hope they don't do that, because I was expecting to be playing TP in the next couple of months. Either way, I agree with Dog - TP looks like a bloody beautiful game, and I say this as somebody who thought the cartoonish style of The Wind Waker was the coolest thing ever.

Oh, and Daryl - I don't get your last comment.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:18 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:I cannot wait for the Revolution, 2007 is fine by me as Twilight Princess is out this year - U.S. in April ( possibly ) so we will get it in the Autumn I suppose. However it has been reported that TP will be fully compatible with the Revolution controllers so Nintendo may delay for a dual GC/Rev release.

Hear, hear! I didn't know that about a possible dual release. In some ways, I hope they don't do that, because I was expecting to be playing TP in the next couple of months. Either way, I agree with Dog - TP looks like a bloody beautiful game, and I say this as somebody who thought the cartoonish style of The Wind Waker was the coolest thing ever.

Don't quote me on the dual compatibility, I read it on some gaming site, and have not seen the same info anywhere else. So who knows if it's true?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:44 am

I think I've read the same thing myself actually, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear they're designing the game with the Revolution in mind.

Either way, it looks to be the most ambitious Zelda game yet!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 am

Okay so we got alla you putzes going on now for like a the 3 pages or a something saying "X-Box, she is a the better!" anna "No! The PS3, she is a the better!" anna "No! The ColecoVision 720, she kicks a the ass!"

You see? This is a the eternal argument, no? It's a not a going to be settled here...

I'm a locking the thread, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:24 pm

I unlocked this to post this little nugget of information.....

The Vice President of SCE Europe said on radio that the planned price tag of the Playstation 3 gaming console at launch will be (brace yourselves) between 500 to 600 Euros...

That translates into about $600 to $700+ in dead American Presidents.

Read more HERE.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:31 pm

Gaff, can you leave this open? I never agreed with Dino's decision to lock it. It's not about finding an answer, it's the debate, baby!

Plus it's a good clearinghouse for PS3/Revolution/360 info, no?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:34 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Gaff, can you leave this open? I never agreed with Dino's decision to lock it. It's not about finding an answer, it's the debate, baby!

Plus it's a good clearinghouse for PS3/Revolution/360 info, no?

I'll leave it open to discuss the PS3 and how Sony is fucking it up, but I know there is at least a Revolution thread out there for info on that...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Theta on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:50 pm

Well, UMD just cacked it as a format, but what caught my attention was that a few blogs, like Ars Technica, featured home video retailers bagging on Blu-Ray like it was dead already.

These aren't journalistically sound sources or anything, but I find that to be a little surprising. Even I'M not sounding the Blu-Ray death knell and I hate Sony as a company and Blu-Ray as a format (why? Three little letters: D...R...M.)

It makes me wonder if the confidence of the home electronics/home media marketroids (on both sides) is just a wee bit misplaced.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:21 am

Bluebottle wrote:
what do you have against Sony? Did they reject you in high school?

I missed this before, and it's a fair question.

I have several problems with Sony:

1) Their lower-end consumer gear is crap. I wouldn't buy one of their lower-end DVD players or camcorders to wipe my ass with (I've destroyed several of both through simple wear-and-tear. Within the warranty, which was honored, but still, there's no excuse for a camcorder to fall apart after less than a year of use.) Their higher-end gear, where you have to release quality gear or go home, I have no trouble with and in fact great respect for. But somewhere along the line, somebody decided they could use the brand name to sell substandard gear, what's even more annoying is that they're right.

2) Their love of proprietary formats. UMD, the Memory Stick, MiniDisc, Betamax...it's not that these are bad formats. It's just that Sony refuses to give up when a format dies and does its level best to block industry standardization and ram their proprietary technology down everyone's throat. They got some patents on the CD and have been chasing the big new format in every single field ever since.

3) Their draconian and clueless content protection schemes. Basically, Sony wanted to implement a policy where, if you bought a CD, you weren't really buying a CD; you were just leasing it. Technically, under the rules of a recent agreement they tried to force on consumers (remember the whole spyware debacle about a half year back?), if you filed bankruptcy, you had to delete the songs off your computer. Seriously. I understand the desire to protect their copyright, but they seem to want to actively punish the consumer for, basically, opening the case.

4) Their marketing department. The nerve of the Sony marketing department is amazing. Sony for a while actually published a catalogue plugging their wide range of products, down to prices and an order form, and actually tried to sell it as an upscale magazine They didn't even bother to hide the fact that it was basically one big ad. And they wanted five bucks for it, back when most magazines were $3.50. The PSX has been, consistently, the worst system on the market in terms of graphics and certainly in terms of games in the first go-round (I notice no one's clamoring for a new installment of, say, "Battle Arena Toshinden.") It is a system that has been sold on hype.

5) Nobody seems to be in charge. This is what gets me the most. I can deal with a large conglomerate being actively evil, but actively evil and utterly stupid is just unforgiveable. Anybody could have told them the DS was going to kick their ass unless they had some awesome games for the PSP. Nintendo has dominated the field for almost two decades and sent pretty much everybody who has tried to enter the field packing eventually, no matter how good their system was. So...they develop jack shit in house and basically rely on the old standby of hype, plus Rockstar developing a GTA game.

Then Nintendo drops "Nintendogs" and just starts knocking 'em out. "Metroid Pinball", "Mario Kart", "Mario 64", "Metroid Hunters"...they just keep it coming. Meanwhile, Sony's own marketing research shows that the vast majority of PSP users use it for Internet connectivity, play NES roms and watch movies...that are on a Memory Stick, not UMD (said format is apparently dead, by the way.) Apparently the PSP connectivity has been substantially beefed up in the PS3 because they know Nintendo is going to have the Revolution and the DS connect...and just to rub it in, Nintendo's releasing the DS Lite.

So there it is, a long and probably incoherent rant. On another note, I cross-posted this on my blog because I thought no one read it. Thanks for taking a look, and if I post on a topic I cover in my blog, I'll make the post unique (although not the reasoning.)
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Eric G on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:27 am

I think Microsoft will be slowly eating away Sony's hold on the gaming market in this "recent evolution" of consoles. Go the BOX people.

Go

The

Box

!
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:29 am

This shit's gonna get fuckin' ugly...
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:29 am

Fievel wrote:
DiscoBobElated wrote:What is the big deal with having Blu-ray DVD in a gaming system other than playing movies?

1. High Definition

It's mostly my hope that the sporting games (read: Madden) will have their Franchise/Owner modes explode with position coaches, quality minor league (NFL Europe, NBA Dev. League, etc.) gameplay, better AI, etc.
As far as regular games, the amount and quality of levels and maps should blow up as well. Why? Simply because that much more information/programming can be put on one Blu-Ray disc as opposed to a DVD.

Every improvement you mentioned could be made on the current format. Madden doesn't even use half a DVD9 disc. It's just up to the developer to spend the time, effort, and money to implement them. And of course, EA isn't going to do that if they can get by doing much less and having people gobble up the game as soon as it releases. That's what I hate about Madden.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:17 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Fievel wrote:

1. High Definition

Every improvement you mentioned could be made on the current format. Madden doesn't even use half a DVD9 disc. It's just up to the developer to spend the time, effort, and money to implement them. And of course, EA isn't going to do that if they can get by doing much less and having people gobble up the game as soon as it releases. That's what I hate about Madden.

Not to mention if a developer tried to fill a blu-ray disc with quality work the production timeline for the game would be staggering.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat May 13, 2006 12:25 pm

Have you guys noticed something about the relationships between Microsoft and Sony this new platform war. The roles are switched, xbox 360 came out first with backward capability just like the PS2. The PS3 is coming out with better graphics, supposedly, and a more powerful system. The big change this time around is blu ray, how this will effect the results we will see.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby tapehead on Sat May 13, 2006 12:45 pm

I found it hilarious that the CEO of Nintendo descibed the 360 as 'just an XBOX 1.5'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat May 13, 2006 12:50 pm

If the sticker shock does not doom the PS3 then people getting pisssed off at purchasing the lesser model and finding no HDMI will nail the coffin shut.

Engadget wrote:When Sony gave out the specs on the PS3 earlier tonight, the company mentioned that there would be two configurations: a $500 version with a 20GB hard drive and a $600 edition with a 60GB drive. Turns out that was only half the story. Yes, that pricing and storage info is accurate. But it turns out that there are a lot of other things missing from the lower-end (we can't bring ourselves to call a $500 console "cheap") version, besides an extra 40GB of storage. According to the specs released by Sony, the 20GB version will lack WiFi, a memory card reader and, most significantly, HDMI output. While you could probably get along without WiFi in a home-based console that already has Ethernet, and you can always presumably hook up a memory card reader via one of the unit's four USB ports, the lack of HDMI output makes this pretty much a non-starter for anyone hoping to actually use the PS3's Blu-ray drive for anything more than playing games. Sure, we can understand Sony not wanting to undercut sales of its own dedicated Blu-ray players by offering the $500 PS3 as a cheaper alternative. But if the company was hoping to use the gaming platform as a way to build a base of fans for HD discs, chances are the strategy is going to backfire the first time someone tries playing a Blu-ray flick in their 20GB version and discovers that the unit's lack of HDMI limits them to analog 1080i output (or worse, depending on a disc's use of HDCP).
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Theta on Sat May 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:If the sticker shock does not doom the PS3 then people getting pisssed off at purchasing the lesser model and finding no HDMI will nail the coffin shut.

You're more right than you know. Sony's DRM downconverts Blu-ray images on a composite connection even worse than HD-DVD. I've heard it literally, worst case scenario, makes it looks like VHS, at best like laserdisc.

And we still don't know if they are going to use that Internet connectivity to spy on what you watch on your PS3. For a while there, they were saying all Blu-Ray players qould require a broadband connection, and that if you watched something that didn't have an official code, they would turn your player off, permanently. If they actually go through with that, and kill somebody's PS3 (although honestly I don't think they're THAT stupid), I think the outrage manifest will be enough to kill the brand.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Sat May 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Theta wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:If the sticker shock does not doom the PS3 then people getting pisssed off at purchasing the lesser model and finding no HDMI will nail the coffin shut.

You're more right than you know. Sony's DRM downconverts Blu-ray images on a composite connection even worse than HD-DVD. I've heard it literally, worst case scenario, makes it looks like VHS, at best like laserdisc.

And we still don't know if they are going to use that Internet connectivity to spy on what you watch on your PS3. For a while there, they were saying all Blu-Ray players qould require a broadband connection, and that if you watched something that didn't have an official code, they would turn your player off, permanently. If they actually go through with that, and kill somebody's PS3 (although honestly I don't think they're THAT stupid), I think the outrage manifest will be enough to kill the brand.

What do you mean it will look like VHS? What all glitchy and messed up. Or relistically like standard def tv. The worst it could be is a standard def tv through a composite signal. I am guessing/hoping the lesser version will still have a component output, this would still mean HD, though just analogue, which is a good picture, great even compared to SD, but on some screens hasnt quite got the clarity of a HDMI connection. Will mostly mean there is no chance the cheaper machine can be hooked up to a computer monitor.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Sat May 13, 2006 1:36 pm

Engadget wrote:When Sony gave out the specs on the PS3 earlier tonight, the company mentioned that there would be two configurations: a $500 version with a 20GB hard drive and a $600 edition with a 60GB drive. Turns out that was only half the story. Yes, that pricing and storage info is accurate. But it turns out that there are a lot of other things missing from the lower-end (we can't bring ourselves to call a $500 console "cheap") version, besides an extra 40GB of storage. According to the specs released by Sony, the 20GB version will lack WiFi, a memory card reader and, most significantly, HDMI output. While you could probably get along without WiFi in a home-based console that already has Ethernet, and you can always presumably hook up a memory card reader via one of the unit's four USB ports, the lack of HDMI output makes this pretty much a non-starter for anyone hoping to actually use the PS3's Blu-ray drive for anything more than playing games. Sure, we can understand Sony not wanting to undercut sales of its own dedicated Blu-ray players by offering the $500 PS3 as a cheaper alternative. But if the company was hoping to use the gaming platform as a way to build a base of fans for HD discs, chances are the strategy is going to backfire the first time someone tries playing a Blu-ray flick in their 20GB version and discovers that the unit's lack of HDMI limits them to analog 1080i output (or worse, depending on a disc's use of HDCP).

Analogue 1080i is hardly terrible, far from it. You will only benefit from better if you have a really high quality and expensive screen that can hanndle more, being hardly any 1080P screens. If you do have a good screen (most dont have a resolution much more that 720i) then you can afford the extra $100. Offering the system to those that have less is sometimes a good thing. Maybe it will not work, but I do think this will be more popular than xbox. There will be shortages I think, but that will still be more sold than the xbox by the end of xmas if there is.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Sat May 13, 2006 1:55 pm

sleepflower wrote:
What do you mean it will look like VHS? What all glitchy and messed up. Or relistically like standard def tv. The worst it could be is a standard def tv through a composite signal. I am guessing/hoping the lesser version will still have a component output, this would still mean HD, though just analogue, which is a good picture...

First of all, HD is digital. If you send a digital signal over an analogue output, it's not going to look as good, although since you need a TV 35 inches or wider to really get any benefit out of HD, the point's kinda moot for a good chunk of America.

Secondly, both formats have a "fail-safe" that the studios can choose to enable that limits the signal being sent over a composite connection. Since HD is digital, they can theoretically downconvert the signal as much as they feel like. If they felt like putting it at 100x100, they could do that. Probably they'll just default to standard def...but that's pretty offensive, considering how much money you pay for one of these discs.

What it boils down to is that you MIGHT be able to get high-def over a composite connection from SOME discs in either format. Certainly it will not be all and beyond a certain point, probably when one format establishes dominance, the axe will fall and they might even say you can't use a composite connection anymore. Apparently, the first wave of HD-DVDs downconverts through a composite connection to standard def, meaning if you bought the player and don't have an HDMI connection, you literally wasted $500 when you could have just bought the movies for ten bucks each on standard DVD.

Best case scenario, they let a 720i signal through, which is better than standard, but the discs are supposed to play back at 1080i, at the least. To demand that much money for a disc and then demand that you buy a whole bunch of electronics to see that $40 disc properly is really greed at its most naked and stupid.

Besides, that's giving far too much credit to an electronics conglomerate that, really, would prefer that you go out and buy a nice new Sony TV...which will require a Sony home theater set-up to really get all your value out of that Blu-Ray copy of "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" you bought for $40. And you pay a premium for the Sony name, on top of it.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat May 13, 2006 2:19 pm

Yay! I started a war!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Theta on Sat May 13, 2006 2:36 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Yay! I started a war!

You're the one who blew up that pipeline in Nigeria?

Shithead. :D
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat May 13, 2006 2:43 pm

I think the PS3 will lose marketshare from the PS2. I don't think Sony is going anywhere but I think this may give them a kick in the ass.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat May 13, 2006 3:53 pm

Theta wrote:

I let my hands fall where they may...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Theta on Sat May 13, 2006 4:58 pm

Theta wrote:

Pervert.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat May 13, 2006 5:09 pm

Theta wrote:
Theta wrote:

Pervert.

I can only hope...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat May 13, 2006 8:55 pm

I dont know about you guys but I'm waiting for the clear winner to be decided in the war before I start converting my dvd collection over. I love how HD-DVD is 7.1, is Blue-ray? On another note I'm not a big PS person, I like Xbox better in the types of games, and the backward capability makes me happy, so I'm kinda biased, I wont buy the 360 till Halo 3 though .
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Theta on Sat May 13, 2006 11:18 pm

cinephile2000 wrote:I dont know about you guys but I'm waiting for the clear winner to be decided in the war before I start converting my dvd collection over. I love how HD-DVD is 7.1, is Blue-ray?

I believe so. The main difference between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is how they're made is that Blu-Ray is a whole new format, and HD-DVD is just basically standard DVD, done with a blue laser. Blu-Ray supposedly has the edge in terms of storage (up to 50GB), but frankly, beyond a certain point it's kinda irrelevant.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby cinephile2000 on Sun May 14, 2006 1:19 am

True to me it sounds a lot like the beta max vhs war where one has the tech better and one is just seeming stronger.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby sleepflower on Sun May 14, 2006 12:54 pm

Theta wrote:
sleepflower wrote:
What do you mean it will look like VHS? What all glitchy and messed up. Or relistically like standard def tv. The worst it could be is a standard def tv through a composite signal. I am guessing/hoping the lesser version will still have a component output, this would still mean HD, though just analogue, which is a good picture...

First of all, HD is digital. If you send a digital signal over an analogue output, it's not going to look as good, although since you need a TV 35 inches or wider to really get any benefit out of HD, the point's kinda moot for a good chunk of America.

Secondly, both formats have a "fail-safe" that the studios can choose to enable that limits the signal being sent over a composite connection. Since HD is digital, they can theoretically downconvert the signal as much as they feel like. If they felt like putting it at 100x100, they could do that. Probably they'll just default to standard def...but that's pretty offensive, considering how much money you pay for one of these discs.

What it boils down to is that you MIGHT be able to get high-def over a composite connection from SOME discs in either format. Certainly it will not be all and beyond a certain point, probably when one format establishes dominance, the axe will fall and they might even say you can't use a composite connection anymore. Apparently, the first wave of HD-DVDs downconverts through a composite connection to standard def, meaning if you bought the player and don't have an HDMI connection, you literally wasted $500 when you could have just bought the movies for ten bucks each on standard DVD.

Best case scenario, they let a 720i signal through, which is better than standard, but the discs are supposed to play back at 1080i, at the least. To demand that much money for a disc and then demand that you buy a whole bunch of electronics to see that $40 disc properly is really greed at its most naked and stupid.

Besides, that's giving far too much credit to an electronics conglomerate that, really, would prefer that you go out and buy a nice new Sony TV...which will require a Sony home theater set-up to really get all your value out of that Blu-Ray copy of "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" you bought for $40. And you pay a premium for the Sony name, on top of it.

Composite is not high enough quality to carry HD. So how is standard def a kick in the teeth if that is all you can play on your TV, its more of a help. The kid has normal tv in the bedroom, he can still watch the same movies, while when he takes it downstairs, you get full HD on the parents TV.

The major question is.. will the lesser box have component?
If so, this is not too bad quality, and can show 1080i.

First off it is a games system, second it is a Movie player.

As i mentioned before, what is the problem if you buy the more expensive player? If you have HD kit, you can afford the better machine. If you cant afford it, you are likely to be a kid with a normal tv. This is a way of making the system more affordable to children.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Games