Playstation 3 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Petri on Mon May 15, 2006 10:36 am

cinephile2000 wrote:I dont know about you guys but I'm waiting for the clear winner to be decided in the war before I start converting my dvd collection over. I love how HD-DVD is 7.1, is Blue-ray? On another note I'm not a big PS person, I like Xbox better in the types of games, and the backward capability makes me happy, so I'm kinda biased, I wont buy the 360 till Halo 3 though .

Oh crap. 7.1? My wife already complains about my 5.1 system. Well, I guess we'll have to move the couch away from the wall now!
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 15, 2006 10:52 am

Im struggling with 5.1

I really cannot find places to put all the speakers without them becoming clutter. I am meant to have 6.1 but just cant do it.

Also the TV is in the corner so the shape of the setup is weird.

I really would like a projector and speakers all attached to the ceiling.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Mon May 15, 2006 7:02 pm

sleepflower wrote:
Composite is not high enough quality to carry HD. So how is standard def a kick in the teeth if that is all you can play on your TV, its more of a help. The kid has normal tv in the bedroom, he can still watch the same movies, while when he takes it downstairs, you get full HD on the parents TV.

The major question is.. will the lesser box have component?
If so, this is not too bad quality, and can show 1080i.

No, it won't. The $500 system will only have a composite output, and nothing else. Even if it DID have component, it will NOT show the disc at 1080i, it is programmed NOT TO. That's what I've been trying to get across here; that you will not get what you pay for.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 15, 2006 7:53 pm

Theta wrote:
sleepflower wrote:
Composite is not high enough quality to carry HD. So how is standard def a kick in the teeth if that is all you can play on your TV, its more of a help. The kid has normal tv in the bedroom, he can still watch the same movies, while when he takes it downstairs, you get full HD on the parents TV.

The major question is.. will the lesser box have component?
If so, this is not too bad quality, and can show 1080i.

No, it won't. The $500 system will only have a composite output, and nothing else. Even if it DID have component, it will NOT show the disc at 1080i, it is programmed NOT TO. That's what I've been trying to get across here; that you will not get what you pay for.

Depends if they make it clear you get 1080i as an upgrade, in which case you will know exactly what you are paying for.

You would be quite silly to expect HD out of a machine tha only has composite anyway.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Logan5 on Tue May 16, 2006 8:01 am

Flip the PS3 for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Damn, that press conference was funny.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Petri on Tue May 16, 2006 10:26 am

sleepflower wrote:Im struggling with 5.1

I really cannot find places to put all the speakers without them becoming clutter. I am meant to have 6.1 but just cant do it.

Also the TV is in the corner so the shape of the setup is weird.

I really would like a projector and speakers all attached to the ceiling.

The only way I could get away with 5.1 is to have wireless speakers in the back of the room. That costs quite a bit.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 22, 2006 9:04 am

You will buy a PS3 anyway.

Some wanker called Gaffney locked me other thread and didn't repost it. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon May 22, 2006 10:40 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Some wanker called Gaffney locked me other thread and didn't repost it. ;)

Bastard. And he smells of cabbage.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby John-Locke on Mon May 22, 2006 10:42 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Some wanker called Gaffney locked me other thread and didn't repost it. ;)

Bastard. And he smells of cabbage.

He's a complete Tosspot.

I do like his cabbage smell though, reminds me of school dinners.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:12 pm

I think it's pretty garbage to have the offical PS3 thread named as it is...either unsticky this one so the non-haters have somewhere to give updates on the system or at least change the name to not reflect Theta's anti-sony stance.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 pm

King, I never check in on the games stuff, but I agree. I'll rename it now.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:09 am

So any word on retailers taking deposits? I need to reserve a few for eBayapalooza :wink:
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Theta on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 pm

King Psyz wrote:So any word on retailers taking deposits? I need to reserve a few for eBayapalooza :wink:

I asked my local Circuit City.

You don't want to know. It's not cash, it's...well...it's something else.

And when did this become the official PS3 thread anyway? And when did this thread get stickied? Jesus I'm gone two weeks and all sorts of shit happens!
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Well it seems some small papers are running a story about the PS3s only playing new games and having used or rental titles disabled with a hidden laser burning device that would essentially wipe the disc clean of an authorization code...

I love my Playstation, and appreciate their wide variety of titles, but if this comes to pass that's just what I'll be doing on the Playstation... pass.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:03 pm

^That story sounds like a load of bullshit, honestly. They've already made
it quite clear that its going to be fully backwards compatible.

Unfortunately, they're also selling it for $600 f*cking dollars which means
they can suck my codpiece till they bring it down to a reasonable price.
In the meantime, I'll be playing with my Wii most likely...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:30 pm

I have read conflicting info if the sytem will read discs in regards to it's backwards compatibility or it will only play downloaded PS1 and PS2 games.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:16 pm

King Psyz wrote:Well it seems some small papers are running a story about the PS3s only playing new games and having used or rental titles disabled with a hidden laser burning device that would essentially wipe the disc clean of an authorization code...

I love my Playstation, and appreciate their wide variety of titles, but if this comes to pass that's just what I'll be doing on the Playstation... pass.

Last I heard is that Sony patented technology for this a while back. It's supposed to only stop you from playing used video games in order to stick it to retailers like GameStop who will sell a used game cheaper than a new one two days after it gets released (screwing Sony out of thier profit in the process). The way that it is supposed to work is that the PS3 reads the disc for a new game that you purchase and then it renders that game unplayable on another system. For it to work, Sony would have to manufacture the discs to include the "security" feature, so it won't affect the first and second gen games, since they weren't manufactured with this technology.

It could also be that they just patented this technology because they could. Many companies patent things just to show that they are capable of implementing the technology, then don't do shit about it.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Theta on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:38 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:^That story sounds like a load of bullshit, honestly. They've already made
it quite clear that its going to be fully backwards compatible...

Sure, PS2 and PS1 games. But I can see Sony trying to fuck over the used games market: unlike other companies, they've always had a very large stick up their ass about used games for some reason. I mean, shit, they got their money; the seller paid full price, thought the game sucked, and dumped it. What are THEY whining for?

I doubt this tech will be implemented myself, but if it is, that might just finish the system, especially if the games really are between $60 and $100 per!
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:59 pm

Theta wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:^T hat story sounds like a load of bullshit, honestly. They've already made

Sure, PS2 and PS1 games. But I can see Sony trying to fuck over the used games market: unlike other companies, they've always had a very large stick up their ass about used games for some reason. I mean, shit, they got their money; the seller paid full price, thought the game sucked, and dumped it. What are THEY whining for?

I doubt this tech will be implemented myself, but if it is, that might just finish the system, especially if the games really are between $60 and $100 per!

How will the system know the difference?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:02 pm

Theta wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:^T hat story sounds like a load of bullshit, honestly. They've already made

Won't happen, not in a million years. Sony love their back catalogue of games being bought, it means that they are successful with their games. For the revenue they gain by enabling this hardware to become active you would lose about because it would mean that less people would buy. If you are undecided about a game then usually its down to price, if you see a second hand copy you would rather reach for that. If there are none available, 9/10 times you wont.

Sony made the PS2 backwards compatible and I think the Ps3 will be but we will have to wait and see.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:21 pm

But how will it know?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Theta on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:But how will it know?

Monkeys. The PS3 is so expensive because it is actually run entirely by genetically engineered monkeys.

Actually, I would imagine the tech itself works off of reading authorization codes. But somebody else on another board I browse had a good point; this is probably just something Sony is planning in the FUTURE or the research itself is due diligence. The PS3, it's too expensive to implement and it would require a permanent broadband connection/clunky game registration service.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Eric Lensherr/Magneto on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:48 pm

Sony will never abandon it's past history of games just for sheer sake or evolution in its new systems. They want let anything halt progress and they sure won't let progress halt profits of historic pioneerings in their games. They want the money. The games still give them these profits. They want them to continue selling. Sony will be backwards compatible, mark my words brothers. My only fear is how they will manipulate us into accepting one day in the future, a Sony Broadband package as a spin off from the PS3. Tread carefully my friends.
Eric Lensherr/Magneto
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Theta on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:46 pm

Eric Lensherr/Magneto wrote:Sony will never abandon it's past history of games just for sheer sake or evolution in its new systems. They want let anything halt progress and they sure won't let progress halt profits of historic pioneerings in their games. They want the money. The games still give them these profits. They want them to continue selling. Sony will be backwards compatible, mark my words brothers. My only fear is how they will manipulate us into accepting one day in the future, a Sony Broadband package as a spin off from the PS3. Tread carefully my friends.

As I've been saying, sure it'll play PS1 and PS2 games. That's not the point. The question is, does Sony at some point want to kill the used games market for their console? I'm thinking yes, just because, as you noted, they're greedy and they love, love, LOVE DRM. It's why the Walkman brand is almost dead, part of why Blu-Ray is hobbled right out of the gate, and almost assuredly will be what nearly kills the company, at the rate they're going.

Of course, should they threaten the world, you can take them out. I mean, for Magneto, that's, what, a Thursday?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Eric Lensherr/Magneto on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:55 pm

More like Iron Filings for breakfast my dear Theta.
Eric Lensherr/Magneto
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:01 pm

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

EDIT: Mod please delete.
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

MOD: Please delete.
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Theta wrote:As I've been saying, sure it'll play PS1 and PS2 games. That's not the point. The question is, does Sony at some point want to kill the used games market for their console? I'm thinking yes, just because, as you noted, they're greedy and they love, love, LOVE DRM. It's why the Walkman brand is almost dead, part of why Blu-Ray is hobbled right out of the gate, and almost assuredly will be what nearly kills the company, at the rate they're going.

What do you mean BluRay hobbled out of the gate? I mean besides being the technologically superior format, it's got more studios than HD-DVD, and is crippled by the same DRM encryption things as HD-DVD. The only thing it is lacking is actually having players and media available right now.

Also, I think the report of NO used games is a complete and utter farce. There is no way any video game company would limit the amount of consoles the games could be played on. This would be the dumbest move ever because you couldnt even play a single game on 2 systems even if you owned two ps3s! They probably just patented an idea and will never do anything with it (this happens a lot folks).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Eric Lensherr/Magneto on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:08 pm

Are you OK OneillSG1? Too much iron in your blood? SurelyBluRay got hobbled due to it's price as well as availabilty? I feel that as soon as it solves these problems technological evolution will overtake it in other formats anyway. Don't get me started on patented ideas. Me and my friends have been working on many concepts of our own for many many years. Is there a thread for this somewhere too brothers?
Eric Lensherr/Magneto
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:09 pm

I'm fine, Metal Man. It's the board that's screwed up. World domination through this board eh?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Eric Lensherr/Magneto on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:12 pm

Hmmph! Well be it my dear Brother. Well BE IT!!
Eric Lensherr/Magneto
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:13 pm

I love the fact you play off the grumpy look of Sir Ian in your pic. Perfect match to your posts.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Eric Lensherr/Magneto on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:19 pm

No my dear boy. YOU are a perfect match for ME! In a brotherly love way of course. Now, you don't mind if I pinch your bumbum as I say that do you?
Eric Lensherr/Magneto
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:28 pm

This is getting silly, you buy a broadband connection to access the internet.

You pay to play a game online.

You pay to join Xbox live.

You pay for Sony PS3 broadband package so you can playa game more than once on any machine?

If this is the future of gaming, Im going back to my N64, Spectrum, Atari, PC (non internet games) and just rinsing them dry.

I flattly refuse to pay such stupid prices...I didnt fall for the 360 because of its stupid price.

If they use this technology, I will boycott Sony's machine and any other machine which uses similar DRM. If you buy a product, you should be allowed to sell it if you wish at a later date.

If people would read through the EULA's and decline to accept the agreements then we wouldn't have this.

People just need to be better informed, put down a game or console and go,
'Im not buying this because I dont get the freedom I paid for'
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Theta on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:08 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:What do you mean BluRay hobbled out of the gate? I mean besides being the technologically superior format, it's got more studios than HD-DVD, and is crippled by the same DRM encryption things as HD-DVD. The only thing it is lacking is actually having players and media available right now.

Actually, while neither format is looking terribly healthy, Blu-Ray's supposed "superiority" is going to be what kills it as a consumer format (although like Beta it's probably got a good future as a professional one), but that's off-topic.

Sony basically wants unrippable DVDs. Remember, at the height of the music piracy hysteria, the several bone-headed encryption schemes Sony came up with? I personally promise you, Blu-Ray is going to have at least three of these kinds of schemes. If they had managed to get the mandatory broadband connection like they originally wanted, I have no doubt you would have had to register your disc in order to get it to play; in fact I would lay down money that's the true purpose of this disc-damaging tech and that it WILL see the light somewhere down the line.

The HD-DVD camp, by contrast, is at least smart enough to know some things you can't stop. While I expect them to show due diligence to their investors and come up with some half-hearted new encryption formats and the like, they will pursue it with neither the zeal nor the resources Sony will, and will have fewer alienated customers as a result.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:59 pm

Eric Lensherr/Magneto wrote:No my dear boy. YOU are a perfect match for ME! In a brotherly love way of course. Now, you don't mind if I pinch your bumbum as I say that do you?

Wow, I knew Sir Ian was a h@mosexual, but surely not the great Magneto, Master of Magnetism?

A revelation indeed.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:00 pm

From what I have read on some techno forums the first BluRay discs hitting are MPEG-2 (probably because Sony owns multiple patents on MPEG-2 encoding thus they are entitled to rights from any studios encoding discs.). No wonder their discs have to be 50 gigs as a result.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:28 am

Theta wrote:Sony basically wants unrippable DVDs. Remember, at the height of the music piracy hysteria, the several bone-headed encryption schemes Sony came up with? I personally promise you, Blu-Ray is going to have at least three of these kinds of schemes. If they had managed to get the mandatory broadband connection like they originally wanted, I have no doubt you would have had to register your disc in order to get it to play; in fact I would lay down money that's the true purpose of this disc-damaging tech and that it WILL see the light somewhere down the line.

The HD-DVD camp, by contrast, is at least smart enough to know some things you can't stop. While I expect them to show due diligence to their investors and come up with some half-hearted new encryption formats and the like, they will pursue it with neither the zeal nor the resources Sony will, and will have fewer alienated customers as a result.

You seem to be mistaken as the encryption schemes on HD-DVD and BluRay were basically mandated by the MPAA and both formats have similiar schemes. They had to in order to get studios to sign on. They both now have the "managed copy" scheme so that consumers can rip a digital drm'd version of the disc to stream around the house. This was particularly necessary for Microsoft to sign on to HD-DVD as they want to stream the data from the PC to your XBoX360 for viewing on TV.

Personally I am not going to buy either format untill all studios are relasing on one side. HD-DVD is behind in this aspect but it doesnt mean that they are out of the race. BluRay on the other hand is only missing one studio and Sony will never release any movie in HD-DVD. So basically we the consumer are screwed.

I do have an Xbox 360 right now and plan on getting a PS3 when that is released as well. Probably a Wii at some point too as that should make for great "party" gaming.

I wish the camps would realize that all this is really making everyone really pissed off and most people will not buy either.

As for the rumors of "Dual" players this again will not work out as the company would have to get both camps to sign off on it. I dont really see that happening. Maybe some foreign company could do it outside of the "official" camps but that remains to be seen. The companies that are now working on this will indeed get the technology to work but I do not think the players will actually be released.

This just plain sucks. We all should really just stop talking sh*t and see what happens.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Theta on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:04 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:You seem to be mistaken as the encryption schemes on HD-DVD and BluRay were basically mandated by the MPAA and both formats have similiar schemes.

Yes, I'm aware of that, that wasn't my point. My point was that Sony has a long history of going above and beyond in terms of encryption schemes and don't seem to care that these schemes alienate their customers. Their own market research indicates PSP owners prefer playing NES roms to PSP games, which is why they keep upgrading the firmware in hopes to kill that.

It is, in the end, a very moot point. Neither has a future as a consumer format for a wide variety of reasons. They'll both make money, unfortunately: HD-DVD will push god knows how many blank discs out the door as the storage format of choice, and I think Blu-Ray has an excellent chance of being a very popular pro format for ENG and independent film.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:04 pm

Yea we will just have to wait and see.

Boo to greedy corporations!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Theta on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:48 pm

Okay, well, not a terribly original idea but at least Sony fans have another reason to use their PSP:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/720/720194p1.html

I'm not sure how much this will help; honestly, the main problem with these is that if the game requires the handheld, people won't play it (I played Zelda: Four Swords once and it was great...but I don't own a GBA and $140 for one game seemed a little extreme), but if it doesn't require the handheld, then most people won't bother with it.

Personally, I suspect their big problem is, yet again, Nintendo, because you KNOW they've got a doozy or two brewing for the DS/Wii connectivity.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby EWS on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:27 pm

Firstly redudant threads?

This place (by place I mean this board is bloody full of them, I can count a number of fucking threads that should be "re-posted somewhere else."

What is it with this place and cleaning? Like a bloody nazi crossed with Monica Geller. Infact there are any number of damn reasons why this shouldn't be put in the PS3 topic.

Seems that no activity is good activity for the gamers on this board. As soon as something comes up *boom* "Please place your topic in a thread that no body reads and doesn't reply to."

That's like Kirk posting some news of a snake-loving theme and then being told "Please place all snake re-lated items in the leggless reptile topic." I mean, what's the dilly yo?

Anyway, my news was;

Fifa 07 and Pro Evolution Soccer to be 360 exclusive for at least 12 months

And for your information Master Whedon, this actually effects all 3 consoles!
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby doglips on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:40 pm

EWS wrote:Firstly redudant threads?

This place (by place I mean this board is bloody full of them, I can count a number of fucking threads that should be "re-posted somewhere else."

What is it with this place and cleaning? Like a bloody nazi crossed with Monica Geller. Infact there are any number of damn reasons why this shouldn't be put in the PS3 topic.

Seems that no activity is good activity for the gamers on this board. As soon as something comes up *boom* "Please place your topic in a thread that no body reads and doesn't reply to."

That's like Kirk posting some news of a snake-loving theme and then being told "Please place all snake re-lated items in the leggless reptile topic." I mean, what's the dilly yo?

Anyway, my news was;

Fifa 07 and Pro Evolution Soccer to be 360 exclusive for at least 12 months

And for your information Master Whedon, this actually effects all 3 consoles!

We have a legless reptile topic?? :o Link please :D

Take it easy on MasterWhedon, EWS - Keeping the zone tidy is a thankless task and he and the others do a damn good job of it. If we had 5000 threads all of 2 replies each, navigating the zone would be a complete nightmare.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 pm

EWS, you've been around long enough to know how it works. If you present the story as a Playstation 3 news item, I'm going to ask you to put it in the Playstation 3 thread. If it is news regarding the XBox 360, the Wii or any other system, we've got threads for those HERE, HERE and HERE, respectively. Feel free to post in any of those.

The simple fact is that this story doesn't warrant its own topic. It contributes to another.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby EWS on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm

So tell me which topic I put it in? Does it go in the 360 topic? The Wii topic? Or this topic?

It isn't to do with any particular one, infact it is to do with two games, and has no relevance on any one particular console, it effects each equally.

It's just nazism, everything must be perfect, each in their own place. Out of interest? How many topics or posts are made in this sub-forum every day? Hell every week.

For the gamer, this is damn important news and in effect warrants it's own topic. I know that this is a movie forum overall, but there is a gaming forum for that especially. I mean, the moderator who is credited for this place is Dino, should you not think that you should appoint a proper-gamer, who maybe knows alot about the topic, and what warrants it's own thread and what doesn't?

As obvious from the response by Whedon, it seems that he is effectivly expressing that he doesn't know enough about games to properly manage this particular sub-board.

The title alone does not dictate the topic itself, it is often a hook to get people into the topic, get them to read and reply. If I had called it "Big blow for Snakes on a Plane" would you have asked me to move it to the Snakes on a Plane topic?

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tfactor on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:25 pm

WOW someone clearly has some real serious authority issues!

EWS your post was about two games that will be exclusive to the 360, so what is the problem? post it were it belongs and stop giving our #1 guy, who busts his ass in here daily trying to keep this place in some sort of order, a hard time.

no one thinks you are a troll yet dude, but keep playing that "nazi" card and being a pain in the ass to whedon and that will change
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:32 pm

EWS, take a deep breath. You're a little more than slightly overreacting to this situation.

We deal with redundant threads quite often in here, and more times than I care to count I've gotten angry PMs or posts in other threads along the lines of yours. Locking a thread and asking you to re-post isn't a personal attack, it's an attempt to keep this forum managable. What happens when I go to search for a PS3 thread in the future and ten similar threads come up? Aside from taking up unnecessary bandwidth, it scatters conversation. As Mods, we try to streamline that discussion as best possible. If this is Nazism to you, I suggest you research Nazism a little more.

I've gone back to re-read your article, and, if it interests you, my suggestion would be to post it first and foremost in the XBox 360 thread as it regards an exclusive contract they've signed. You could then re-post the article in the PS3 thread and say it's a blow for the system. OR, if you're hell-bent on creating a thread for it, consider creating one for FIFA games (if one does not already exist).

Gamer or not (I am), I do understand news items, and I hold the same standards for any new threads created in here, regardless of the topic.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby EWS on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:37 pm

Ha, authority issues? Don't make me laugh.

I'm not criticising Whedon's overall modding of the forum (and I did choose my words bery carefully) I am just saying that someone should be appointed who has more knowledge on this topic. But it seems that when someone decides to question what a moderator has done (and in my eyes, rightly) it seems that I am trolling? You, sir, makeamelaugh.

Sure, my post was about two 360 games that are now going to be exlusive on the 360. So why was it asked to be put in the PS3 thread? Basically, sort of proves my point that he is not best equipped for this sub-forum. It makes perfect sense to have an "expert" (used loosely) moderating this forum, rather then a "Jack of all trades", as it were. I use that term in the best possible sense, and not as an insult.

So yeah, it was about two 360 games. So where does it get posted? Does it get posted in the 360 thread because it deals with a 360, does it get put into the PS3 thread because it affects two games that are big sellers on the PS3, and could help to decide whether consumers will purchase it, or should it go in the Wii thread because it affects whether or not a new twist could put the type of game?

Or does it go in a seperate Football Games thread? How about splitting it up and having a Fifa 0X and a Pro Evolution Soccer X thread? Please, tell me?

Then we carry this rule onto the other sub-forums, because it's unfair to moderate each sub-forum differently isn't it? Let's place all V for Vendetta, Sin City and 300 discussion in a thread entitled "Graphic Novel Movie Thread", all discussions on Cars, Over The Hedge, The Wild, Madagascar in a thread entitled "3D Animated Movies". Where do we all stop?

I am voicing my opinion, and making suggestions. Does thou hath such a problem with that?

So instead of blindly following a moderator who makes such a good job of things, look back and digest what I am trying to say.

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:42 pm

I looked back on what you were saying. Basically you could have posted it in the 360 thread or the PS3 thread or the Wii thread. Your topic title was about the PS3 so Whedon put it in that particular thread, that's pretty logical. But you could have actually put it in anyone of the threads it just didn't merit it's own thread. There really shouldn't be an issue here, your news item got read and will no doubt, be discussed.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Games