Playstation 3 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:15 pm

The backwards compatibility problem seemed rough to me at first, but then I remembered that my PS2 is in perfect condition - no worries there.
I haven't played a PS1 game in years. Probably the PS1 versions of Resident Evil 1-3 were the last PS1 games I played. As far as PS2 games - I have a ton of great games, but none that I can see really going back to play except for a random moment of nostalgia.

But as with all good toys in life - I'm still holding out for a better price or better deal..... or more spending cash on my end.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:52 pm

I'd bust out Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but... you can get that on Live on the 360 :D

Then again, you CAN'T get Castlevania Chronicles, and that's a good game.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:56 pm

PS1 has a lot of games that people won't see again. We still play Marvel v Capcom and Twisted Metal 2-3. But you just can't find some of the titles anywhere. I have Gundam Battle Assault and I love it in a crappy fighting game kind of way. Just can't find it anywhere.

The PS1 has some very hidden gems underneath all those EA sports games!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm

Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Castlevania Chronicles
Legacy of Kain (it's a classic)
Einhander (one of the greatest shooters ever made)
Bushido Blade
Vagrant Story
Vanguard Hearts 1 & 2
Final Fantasy VII (til the PS3 port :roll:)
Oddworld 1 & 2

That's just off the top of my head, games you can't find anywhere but on the PS1 (that I'm aware of, maybe FFT), and not a weak game in the bunch.

Wait, do ANY PS3s have PS1 compatability?? Am I missing the bigger picture here!?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:11 pm

current 60gb ps3s have ps1 capablities.

Oddworld was on PC too.

Also, I really want that FF7 port!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:18 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:25 pm

I don't think so. And I believe that's because they would need 3 console settings on the PS3. The PS2 contained BC stuff for one. It would be triple for the PS3 as far as the harware goes.

EDIT: This is why I shouldn't post late! Question answered. Im wrong....again :oops:
Last edited by godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Ok, so the PS3 60gb is the way to go. But aren't the PS2 games emulated through software on that as well?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Fawst wrote:Ok, so the PS3 60gb is the way to go. But aren't the PS2 games emulated through software on that as well?

Ill be wrong on this to. I thought they were harware based. Which is why the Microsoft criticism came into play.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:29 pm

Fawst wrote:Ok, so the PS3 60gb is the way to go. But aren't the PS2 games emulated through software on that as well?

not on the 60. it's hardware. 80 has the software.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Wow, that's kinda weak about the 80 then. Weird. Watch, by the time I can buy one, I'll be stuck with a software emulation version. Blech.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:32 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

See, that makes no sense. You pay more but you have to deal with the emulation software.....is it as flawed as XBL has been?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:39 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

See, that makes no sense. You pay more but you have to deal with the emulation software.....is it as flawed as XBL has been?

you dont pay more. It'll be at the 60 price soon.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:47 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yea but, but, but, thats how its been up to this point. Yea?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:49 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yea but, but, but, thats how its been up to this point. Yea?

yes.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Theta on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Wow, this thread was dead for weeks and now it's back.

I wish Zombie was still around, so I could rub it in.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:19 pm

Theta wrote:Wow, this thread was dead for weeks and now it's back.

That sounds.... so... very... wrong....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Theta on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Fievel wrote:
Theta wrote:Wow, this thread was dead for weeks and now it's back.

That sounds.... so... very... wrong....

Hey, he earned it, both with his rabid defense of Sony and with his rabid hatred of "The Fountain."
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:28 am

Give the Playstation3 another 12 months I think. They've always (for me) sucked for a good 1.5 - 2 years before stepping into their own. Be interesting to see if the same applies here too...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:54 pm

Worth mentioning here but, in the UK and Europe the PS3's backwards compatability, in 60gb models, is hit and miss because they tried to save $10 by removing the hardware emulation that US and Japan machines have.

At present it's all done via software, like the 360, and is pretty hit and miss, like the 360.

The new 80GB models in the US and Japan also have the hardware emulation stuff removed..so, if you want to play old games, look for a second hand machine on ebay or somewhere. Mind, i think plenty of stores have stock from launch still :P
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Theta on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:36 pm

http://jbooth.blogspot.com/2007/10/ps3-misconcepti ons-and-spin.html

An interesting read.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Theta wrote:http://jbooth.blogspot.com/2007/10/ps3-misconcepti ons-and-spin.html

An interesting read.

Dude's got long hair AND a receding hairline.
Give up the ghost, man.

I wish he would have had data (numbers) to support his rants rather than him just saying "____ is faster" or "____ is slower".

Obviously the speed of the Blu-Ray player is going to suck... it's a 1st-Gen player. That's the biggest mistake about the PS3 - not that it uses Blu-Ray, but that it is essentially the first Blu-Ray on the market. It would have been a much wiser as an add-on later.
Then again, Sony would have been smart to have waited a couple more years on the PS3 anyways.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:02 pm

Fievel wrote:
Theta wrote:http://jbooth.blogspot.com/2007/10/ps3-misconcepti ons-and-spin.html

An interesting read.

Give up the ghost, man.

I wish he would have had data (numbers) to support his rants rather than him just saying "____ is faster" or "____ is slower".

Obviously the speed of the Blu-Ray player is going to suck... it's a 1st-Gen player. That's the biggest mistake about the PS3 - not that it uses Blu-Ray, but that it is essentially the first Blu-Ray on the market. It would have been a much wiser as an add-on later.
Then again, Sony would have been smart to have waited a couple more years on the PS3 anyways.

Is it impossible to upgrade the drive?

If so then that would be a fatal mistake. I'm still interested in the PS3 but I'm not convinced yet, maybe when MGS comes out but I'm not buying the machine for just one game.

Long live wii...for now.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:07 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fievel wrote:

An interesting read.

Give up the ghost, man.

Is it impossible to upgrade the drive?

If so then that would be a fatal mistake. I'm still interested in the PS3 but I'm not convinced yet, maybe when MGS comes out but I'm not buying the machine for just one game.

Long live wii...for now.

I'm sure it is technically, but how easy can the average... okay, sub-average Joe do it? THAT would have been another smart idea - make it an easy-to-upgrade device.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:09 pm

True.

I was thinking it might have been a detatchable device or something, maybe a clip.

My bad and from what I've seen of consoles, they would never do that anyway.

So...No selling point for me at the mo and nothing I could recommend either to anyone.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby wonkabar on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:44 pm

Soon
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 pm

Its actually the best bluray player on the market right now. It's the only one with BR profile 1.1 and already supports 2.0 aka BDLive stuff as well. Sony keeps on upgrading the firmware meaning you get a constantly updated BR player.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby wonkabar on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:51 pm

Can't wait to watch Blade Runner and Kubrick

I'm calling you out WB
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:49 pm

wow! i'm actually typing thiis on ps3 riight now. i only have a sixaxis controler, so i'm basically texting righ now. but the zone looks awesome! i'm on a 32 inch 720p philips and the ps-browser is doing a splended job. looks sick! i'll hav 2 a keyboard though.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Seppuku on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:53 pm

wonkabar wrote:wow! i'm actually typing thiis on ps3 riight now. i only have a sixaxis controler, so i'm basically texting righ now. but the zone looks awesome! i'm on a 32 inch 720p philips and the ps-browser is doing a splended job. looks sick! i'll hav 2 a keyboard though.

If u wer rely txt-msgin, itd tak u hlf as lng 2 typ dat pst n me 20 X as lng 2 rd it.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby wonkabar on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:06 pm

well, it's kinda cool cuz it remembers shit you write, so like, if i wat to write shit again all i gotta do is type s and now it's like the first thing on the list. btw youtube looks great!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:34 pm

oh, and i'm wonkabeer on psn, so hit me up
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:13 pm

I thought I'd stop in for a moment to let everyone know I finally got a PS3 so you can find me under *gasp* King Psyz on PSN.

Ratchet & Clank looks fucking amazing on my shitty HDTV, as does Heavenly Sword, and Gran Turismo HD.

I love downloading free demos, and Burnout Paridise is a fucking blast.

Take care zoners.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Dyno on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:45 am

If you own a PS3 be sure to check out the NASA earth music visualizer they installed in the latest update.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?st ory=16748
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby King Psyz on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:06 pm

real quick if any of you are on PSN hit me up at King Psyz on PSN or PM me your user name.

maybe we can put together a time to be on for burnout paridise or something.

I know I'll be buying that on full release as well.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:18 pm

Sent a shout out to you already KP. Though I'm not gonna be on a lot the next month.

Btw I've seen alot of confusion/debate around the web as to whether or not the 40 GB PS3 plays PSone games or not.

Yes. The PS3 40gig does play PS1 games.

And as I said already, it has web-browsing and it powers up your controlers with a USB cable....nice. I hear tell that you can use your Blue-tooth ear worm thingie as a headset too, though I haven't tried that yet. It also comes with this thing that tells time.

Oh, and PSN is pretty damn cool and I like that it's free. The Blu-ray is awesome.

Hopefully, I'll see all you guys there real soon. Looks like the good games are just starting to hit. (Apparently, KILLZONE II is the reall deal afterall too)
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:13 am

Ok, I've gone and done it. It's been almost a week since I bought my PS3 and have been playing Oblivion. And I LOVE it.

I was close to getting the 360, but I kept hearing more and more RROD stories and the 40 GB, Spiderman 3 bluray plus 5 free bluray movies deal just spoke to me. I feel I've made the best decision ultimately and with any luck this thing'll last me a good LONG time.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:19 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Ok, I've gone and done it. It's been almost a week since I bought my PS3 and have been playing Oblivion. And I LOVE it.

I was close to getting the 360, but I kept hearing more and more RROD stories and the 40 GB, Spiderman 3 bluray plus 5 free bluray movies deal just spoke to me. I feel I've made the best decision ultimately and with any luck this thing'll last me a good LONG time.

Mahalo

What other games do you have?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Dyno on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:58 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:What other games do you have?

He has Oblivion. If he hasn't played it before then there are hundreds of hours on just that disk. He won't need anything else for a while once you factor in downloading demos if you want a brief change of pace.

Oblivion was my first gen game and it lasted me 4 months before I moved on. I wish there was another immersive game like that, whereas now every two weeks I need a new fix.

If anyone cares I can outline how to make THE Oblivion character: A character who in the course of levelling is a melee master, a powerful spellcaster, and a stealth master who can perform all the various quests.

The character system is complex, but in those complexities are huge, exploitable flaws.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:43 pm

Pray, do tell Dyno. I lost my great character "Alfred", alas, he journeyed so far, but I conquered my addiction. Then when I returned to Tamriel my autosave was screwed and I had to start from ye olde beginning... arg... So, if ever I bring myself to dally again with the elder scrolls , then please, do tell of its hidden exploits that would ease the pain of over 50(!) lost hours of painstaking character building, quest completion and idle traipsing.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Dyno on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:44 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Pray, do tell Dyno. I lost my great character "Alfred", alas, he journeyed so far, but I conquered my addiction. Then when I returned to Tamriel my autosave was screwed and I had to start from ye olde beginning... arg... So, if ever I bring myself to dally again with the elder scrolls , then please, do tell of its hidden exploits that would ease the pain of over 50(!) lost hours of painstaking character building, quest completion and idle traipsing.

I was PMed and wrote it out but since you asked I'll paste it here too.

This will take a while so pee before you read... or print it out and read it while you pee, I'm not here to judge...

The goal is to have a character that does everything well. This ultimate character wears heavy armour, uses a weapon and shield, can stealth with the best of them, and has no probem casting a variety of spells. The fighter, rogue, and wizard quests are all open to this character and he will do them well.

THE BASICS
There are 21 skills, 7 of which are major skills, which means their advancement spurs your own character level advancement. The other 14 minor skills contribute (as do your major skills) to the bonuses your ability scores gain (+1 to +5) every time you level.

Ideally what you want is that each time your character levels you will have three ability scores with a +5 next to them, meaning your ability scores get the maximum possible boost per level. You with me so far?

SKILL SELECTION
Looking at the skills you will find that there are three skills per ability score (not counting Luck, of course.) Strength, for example, has Blade, Blunt, and Hand-To-Hand. The key to building your custom character class is to have one skill per ability score in your Major Skill list. Here is an example:

Major Skills
Hand-to-Hand (Strength)
Conjuration (Intelligence)
Alteration (Willpower)
Marksman (Agility)
Light Armour (Speed)
Armourer (Endurance)
Merchantile (Personality)

If this list looks to be a hodge-podge with no theme, you're right. These in fact are the skills you're bound to use THE LEAST. The other 14 skills, your minor skills, are the skills you will use THE MOST. The flaw in the games character mechanic is that if you use your minor skills the most, you will level with the best effect. In Oblivion what they call Minor skills will be YOUR majors, and vice versa.

The list above is what I played with after a few run-throughs and it worked well for me. If there is a skill in that list that you love and wish to use as often as possible then that's okay. Sub it out with another skill that uses the same ability score. The golden rule to this build is: There are three skills that run off each ability score, put one in the Major List and two in the Minor List.

ADVANCEMENT
Use your 14 minor skills as much as you like and often. When a skill rises in rank it contributes toward your ability score bonus when you level. Every 2 ranks equals +1 to the ability score, 10 ranks therefore equal +5 and that is what you want. Take Strength again, for example. Let's say with the build above you gain 5 ranks in Blade and 5 ranks in Blunt. When your character levels up there will be a +5 next to Strength. The thing is if you don't use Hand-to-Hand (or use if very rarely) the 10 combined ranks you gained from Blade and Blunt do not contribute to your character level at all!

Of course, you will use your Major skills from time to time, and you should. It's pointless to play at one level for so long that you wind up with +5 in all seven of your ability scores since you can only pick 3 of them per level. With your Majors you can control your level rise. When the time comes to level you can fix all of your armour and weapons, repeatedly cast spells from Conjuration and Alteration (if you have the build above) or sell lots of stuff with Mercantile. Buying skill ranks for major skills at this time is another way to force the level.

TRACKING
You can get very precise when it comes to tracking the rise of your skill rank. If you make a note every time your skills rise in rank you can see when you have enough to get a +5 in the three most desired ability scores and then push to level. Really though I found that this is only for perfectionists. Just playing a character built this way in a casual manner will net you a +4 or +5 on at least three ability scores, which in the end will keep you competative with the difficulty of the game. Get as detailed with the numbers as you personally want to.

RESULTS
I did this three times and the results were similar. By Character Level 10 you have a hero with weapon, magic, and stealth skills in the 60 - 100 range. Personally I had a character with Stealth and Illusion at 100 with a Blade, Destruction, Heavy Armour and Restoration skills getting close to 75.

The game gets tougher as you rise in Character Levels and what this build does is make you a very tough and durable version of your level. I have read and seen many complaints of players getting to a certain level and then being outmatched. This will not happen here. If anything once a character of this build hits Level 20 things will be a bit too easy, which in truth was the cause of me putting down the game.

If you have questions or need clarification then just ask.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Dyno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Resistance 2 details are being released!!! Looks like they are really shooting high on this one.

The story first hit on Game Informer magazine...

Looks like there will be a single player campaign, a separate two-player offline/eight-player on-line campaign, and multiplayer with up to SIXTY people! Looks like the graphics is going to get a hefty shot in the arm too.

Some more data here.

More Into on Resistance 2

The first Resistance was quite good - a bit archaic but certainly a lot of fun. One thing it had going for it was it had the fastest start up times of any other multiplayer out there. It was also Insomniacs first attempt at a mature shooter. The promise for this title is exceedingly high.[/url]
Last edited by Dyno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Screw that shit (;)) Where's the skinny on Lego Indy! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Dyno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:44 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Screw that shit (;)) Where's the skinny on Lego Indy! :D

You almost don't deserve the multi-cell power of the PS3.... :wink:

Here! Take your LEY-GOS and get out of my sight!
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Dyno wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:Screw that shit (;)) Where's the skinny on Lego Indy! :D

You almost don't deserve the multi-cell power of the PS3.... :wink:

Here! Take your LEY-GOS and get out of my sight!

Hey if GameInformer put it above Resistance2 on the cover who am I to argue ;) :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Dyno wrote:Resistance 2 details are being released!!! Looks like they are really shooting high on this one.

The story first hit on Game Informer magazine...

Snow wrote:Informer
You know say daddy me snow me-a (gonna) blame
A licky boom-boom down
'Tective man he say, say Daddy Me Snow me stab someone down the lane
A licky boom-boom down
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:42 pm

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

OMG Lego Indy may just end up being the MOST. FUNNEST. GAME.... EVAH!!!

I want to play that.

Now.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:50 pm

The LSW games had a lot of genuinely funny moments in them (well, mostly in the cut scenes, but still....)

Should be a great game for sure - but it's available on all formats, right?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Hey if GameInformer put it above Resistance2 on the cover who am I to argue ;) :D

Hahahahahaha!!!! Damn you!

No word of a lie... I went to public school, junior high school, and high school with Snow. We grew up about five minutes from each other.

Snow's Wiki - He's a North York Bwoy! Big-up-na!!! Brrrrrrrrrrr-Stick-Um!
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

PreviousNext

Return to Games