Playstation 3 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:12 pm

Dyno wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Was Blue Dragon two discs?

Actually I think you're right. So forbidden was too strong.

I do know that Oblivion got the definate no though. Maybe because it was a launch title they wanted to give the strong impression that the 360 wasn't 1/2 a PC.

Probably.

Either way, its a clear disadvantage that I'm sure has been reconsidered. Remember when there was a size limit for arcade games? :lol:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:20 pm

ok, this may be a dumb question, but i'm pretty dumb when it comes to these things (never had a ps2 or xbox or wii or anything, the last gaming console i ever had was an atari 2600).

anyway, i'll be picking up one this weekend. my gf has a ps2 and a few games for it like GTA and mortal kombat. basically, i wanted to know whether PS2 games can be played on a PS3, or if they're not compatible?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:21 pm

TheBaxter wrote:ok, this may be a dumb question, but i'm pretty dumb when it comes to these things (never had a ps2 or xbox or wii or anything, the last gaming console i ever had was an atari 2600).

anyway, i'll be picking up one this weekend. my gf has a ps2 and a few games for it like GTA and mortal kombat. basically, i wanted to know whether PS2 games can be played on a PS3, or if they're not compatible?

You need to get the 80GB version inorder to play old games on it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:40 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:ok , this may be a dumb question, but i'm pretty dumb when it comes to these things (never had a ps2 or xbox or wii or anything, the last gaming console i ever had was an atari 2600).

really? crap, i'm getting the 40GB version. oh well, guess i'll have to get my own games for it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:43 pm

I am so mad that you can't get the fucking 60gb version anymore. I want HARDWARE emulation for the PS2 games, not software! Stupid douches.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Yeah Baxter if you can find the 60GB version floating around still that's the best bet.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Fawst wrote:I am so mad that you can't get the fucking 60gb version anymore. I want HARDWARE emulation for the PS2 games, not software! Stupid douches.

...and, it's likely that there will be no more emulation, period according to the Best Buy thing. There are no more 80GB systems in the Sony warehouses.
I wonder how cheap the 80GB will be in closeout prices?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:03 pm

I dont mind the software emulator, I haven't any issues with any of my older titles yet.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:05 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:ok , this may be a dumb question, but i'm pretty dumb when it comes to these things (never had a ps2 or xbox or wii or anything, the last gaming console i ever had was an atari 2600).

really? crap, i'm getting the 40GB version. oh well, guess i'll have to get my own games for it.

honestly, the extra $100 to get Motorstorm, double the hard drive, memory stick access(nice if you have or ever get a PSP), and backwards emulator.

I was gonna buy the 40gig too and glad I spent a little extra.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:40 pm

King Psyz wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

honestly, the extra $100 to get Motorstorm, double the hard drive, memory stick access(nice if you have or ever get a PSP), and backwards emulator.

the main reason i'm getting the 40GB version is because it's quiet. i've heard bad things about the noise of the other ones, and i'll be using this primarily as a blu-ray player, not a gaming machine. hearing fan noise during a movie drives me NUCKING FUTS, so i need the quietest one i can find. it would've been a nice bonus if it played PS2 games, but not worth the trade-off for a noisier box.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
King Psyz wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

the main reason i'm getting the 40GB version is because it's quiet. i've heard bad things about the noise of the other ones, and i'll be using this primarily as a blu-ray player, not a gaming machine. hearing fan noise during a movie drives me NUCKING FUTS, so i need the quietest one i can find. it would've been a nice bonus if it played PS2 games, but not worth the trade-off for a noisier box.

Well my 60GB version is whisper quiet. Especially compared to the 360 Gaddamn is that thing a fn noise machine!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:54 pm

yeah I have no issues with noise

I play burnout at 2am with a baby and my girlfriend sleeping in the room...

Sometimes you hear the HDD access noise, but it's very slight, no louder than a dvd player drive.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Haha you knock the 360 for noise (accurately) but man, the Dreamcast was like starting up a fighter jet.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:57 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Haha you knock the 360 for noise (accurately) but man, the Dreamcast was like starting up a fighter jet.

I cant speak on that one ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:00 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Haha you knock the 360 for noise (accurately) but man, the Dreamcast was like starting up a fighter jet.

I cant speak on that one ;)

Seriously, I'll go turn mine on real quick and you'll probably hear it from wherever you are.

I don't think the original playstation was even that bad.

Another quiet one was the Saturn oddly enough. Maybe it's because it never had any games!

Ba Ka Choo BAH!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:47 pm

The SNES was pretty quiet...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:54 pm

atari was the pinacle of silent gaming consoles
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Dyno on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:32 pm

120GB PS3?

....hope so.
But I'm sure PS1/2 compatibility is gone.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:49 pm

Which is fucking pathetic. I don't have a PS2 anymore. If there's a 120gb system, I'm sure it'll cost the same, if not more. I'd rather drop the big bucks on a PS3 that handles everything as opposed to a PS3 AND a PS2 to cover my back catalog. Fucking shitty original tray-loading PS2 with the fucking LENS O' DOOM, which you had to readjust by hand to make it read discs... BLAH!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 pm

seriously, I never had an issue with my PS2 until about 4 years after I bought it and I lived in the desert where dust is everywhere and it lasted the whole way til it got dropped while moving.

I do agree with them skipping over BC like it's not a huge deal. I think they're relying too heavily on the fact something like half of amercian homes have a PS2 or something and just assume they're all still working... I really don't know what they're thinking.

I have the software emulation on the 80 gig and it works great so I really have no issues there and can honestly see why they would do software if it works rather than cram in the whole processor from the PS2. The 120 gig to me means more coming down the line as fas as DL content from the PSN. And considering they seem to want to push the HDNA message, expect them to be 720p/1080p video DLs when they do come out instead of WMV, plus they're really starting to ramp up PSP/PS1 downloads on top of demos, movie trailers, and ad ons.

Seems a few people I have talked with already maxed out their PS3 HDD and are now talking about taking advantage of being able to swap in a OTC HDD.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:40 am

King Psyz wrote:I do agree with them skipping over BC like it's not a huge deal. I think they're relying too heavily on the fact something like half of amercian homes have a PS2 or something and just assume they're all still working... I really don't know what they're thinking.

They're cutting corners to save money.

When you compare original launch models to the newer ones, they really seem to have stripped em down. That's how the console is going to turn profit so quickly.

King Psyz wrote:I really have no issues there and can honestly see why they would do software if it works rather than cram in the whole processor from the PS2. The 120 gig to me means more coming down the line as fas as DL content from the PSN.

After literally pounding Microsoft for doing the same thing at E3 a couple of years ago now they changed. I think software is a decent way of doing it but like with my 360, I'd prefer the processor to software which doesn't work nearly as good. They touted BC with the processors as a major selling point.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:14 am

Word on the street is that the 40gb model will remain the budget version with no BC (amongst a couple other minor things.)

The deluxe version will have the 120gb HD and the software emulation.

When the 60gb were out and there was talk of them going away along with hardware emulation I finally bit the bullet and pulled out the plastic. I thought there was no way in hell I was going to let my library of PS2 games run fallow. So now I can play all of my PS2 games but you know what?

They say you can never go home again...

I put them in and there is no love. There is a spot of nostalgia but once I'm playing those PS2 games I say to myself "whoa I could be playing my PS3 or 360 right now, why aren't I?"

Onward and upward. I personally see no value in looking back when it comes to this rapidly moving medium.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 am

Dyno wrote:Onward and upward. I personally see no value in looking back when it comes to this rapidly moving medium.

Tell that to my Dreamcast :P

(The best console ever made :wink: )
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:38 am

I think they more slammed MS for software compatibility that required you were online to play most titles.

The PS3 software compatibility just works. I have yet to throw in a title that didn't play and I have been playing PS2 since 2000... So I do have some pretty old games and they all work fine so far.

I know they said that they were expecting issues with the software emulator, but so far so good.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:54 am

Dyno wrote:They say you can never go home again...

I put them in and there is no love. There is a spot of nostalgia but once I'm playing those PS2 games I say to myself "whoa I could be playing my PS3 or 360 right now, why aren't I?"

Onward and upward. I personally see no value in looking back when it comes to this rapidly moving medium.

Since I got a PS2 in 2001, I've only put 3 PS1 games into the PS2 - The Resident Evil Series. That's me bypassing probably between 40-50 games that I'll never play again. I imagine the same thing would happen with a PS3 - that very few, if any, PS2 games would be revisited.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Quick question for PS3 owners...

What are it's media player capabilities like?

Can you now play AVI/DivX files with one of the firmware updates?

I'm looking to replace my media drive and as the PS3 can play next gen games and HD films out of the box, it is beating the XBox360 at the moment.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:04 pm

Yeah it plays all kinds of formats, I know DIVX for sure. It also allows you to wirelessly connect to other computers on your network to display content via streaming.

So you don't exactly have to import data, you just need to have a router.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Cheers KP. Anything to avoid expanding the tangle of cables behind the TV!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:09 am

Well, I am buying myself a PS3 tonight. I'm definitely in the market for COD4, not sure what games are offered in the packages at the moment. But I have ordered the Dualshock 3 controller from CD-WOW in anticipation :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Dyno on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 am

I know that in Europe they have a bungle that gives you Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank. That is a high-quality bundle right there if you can find it where you are.

Last night I fell in love with Unreal Tournament. I played nothing but Vehicle Capture the Flag and it is a game experience than none of the other console multiplayer shooters can offer.

The maps are just excellen! They're big enough to make you want to jump into a vehicle and get as far as you can with it. There are however sweet rides to be had with your hoverboard and these rides are key once you have the flag (and therefore cannot enter a vehicle.) This combination of vehicle, hoverboard getaway, and pure infantry shooter make for a very unique and satisfying game.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:47 am

I've played all the early UT's on PC, so I'm not sure that the joypad will work for me in shooters, though I am willing to try for COD4!

Is Ratchet and Clank okay? It looks kind of childish in the adverts and I had kind of discounted it.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:27 pm

Ratchet & Clank looks kidish, but it's a n awesome platformer in 3D.

The weapon upgrade system, bolt collection, and a skill point system that is insanely hard. But because you never run out of lives it's a game you can play and play and play.

Sometimes it will take a while to be able to defeat a boss but you also get as many tries as it takes.

The challenge arena stuff is fun too.

On top of that they got some great demos right now, DMC4 being one of the best.

If you're considering Burnout, start with the demo. In the demo it's only fun if you're just doing online. In the real game there's actually a lot to do.

I also recomend that you start two PSN network accounts. One Japanese, and one local. The japanese get demos nobody else does so you can play some neat games. Google japanse psn account and you'll see a few pages dedicated to helping you set it up and also translation as to what you're looking at.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Theta on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:31 pm

Hey, hey, I started this thread in the spirit of loathing, hatred and flaming, and I come here and find all this lovey-dovey shit. What the hell?!

In all seriousness, it seems like Sony's tightening ship and getting this turned around. They've actually shown some contrition about their past behavior (good) and some common sense in their business decisions (finally.)

As much as I bagged on them, that was mostly due to their arrogance and mind-blowingly bad decisions. I'm glad they're turning into a competitor again, because that'll only work out better for US, the gamers. Here's to more competition!
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:24 pm

seems they've also confirmed the gaming division has been making money for a little over 4 months now (a great time to be turning profit on hardware) and have actually LOWERED sales expectations meaning they've realised they can't ride on the PS name alone.

meanwhile MS is saying that the 360 will be the next PS2... now if they could only you know build them so that less than 10% to a 1/3rd don't fail...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Theta on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:30 pm

King Psyz wrote:meanwhile MS is saying that the 360 will be the next PS2... now if they could only you know build them so that less than 10% to a 1/3rd don't fail...

Heh...they also might want to try selling them to the Japanese. I hear they like video games over there.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Theta wrote:
King Psyz wrote:meanwhile MS is saying that the 360 will be the next PS2... now if they could only you know build them so that less than 10% to a 1/3rd don't fail...

Heh...they also might want to try selling them to the Japanese. I hear they like video games over there.

They should just give them away with ramen. Maybe then the japanese will actually use the 360.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Hey, they have tried everything. Be nice! :)

What, a bunch of crappy RPG's aren't good enough for them? What do they want!!!!

I think that entire country is so far behind in gaming. The fact that they still play JRPG's religously over Mass Effect and KOTOR blows my mind. How many times can the same FF7 storyline be used in different variations!?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Hey, they have tried everything. Be nice! :)

What, a bunch of crappy RPG's aren't good enough for them? What do they want!!!!

I think that entire country is so far behind in gaming. The fact that they still play JRPG's religously over Mass Effect and KOTOR blows my mind. How many times can the same FF7 storyline be used in different variations!?

You'll get a damage of -6 for talk like that!!!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:07 pm

Back In Black!

Errrrr ...they hit the sack?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:27 pm

Theta wrote:Hey, hey, I started this thread in the spirit of loathing, hatred and flaming, and I come here and find all this lovey-dovey shit. What the hell?!

In all seriousness, it seems like Sony's tightening ship and getting this turned around. They've actually shown some contrition about their past behavior (good) and some common sense in their business decisions (finally.)

As much as I bagged on them, that was mostly due to their arrogance and mind-blowingly bad decisions. I'm glad they're turning into a competitor again, because that'll only work out better for US, the gamers. Here's to more competition!

Once Sony got rid of Kutaragi, things slowly started moving in the right direction.

I've heard rumors of a X-station, or whatever they'll call it, where there's only one console, jointly owned by Microsoft and Sony (after this generation has run its course). I know the devs are really pushing for it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 pm

if it ever happens let sony handle hardware and OS design and manufacturing and let MS handle the online offering while maintaining free access ALA PS3

so basically, no don't do that

I don't want MS in my gamebox thanx. I fear they'll bring the stink of letting me beta their hardware and OS just like they do with everything else they do.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 am

Well, the PS3 is now burning a hole under my desk :D

Got Ratchet and Clank (so it had better be good!) and Uncharted, as well as Spiderman 3, Casino Royale and an HDMI cable!

Needless to say, I can't wait to get home...
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 am

Awesome CeeBee!

Do we have a running tab of peoples PSN accounts by the way?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Theta on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:36 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I've heard rumors of a X-station, or whatever they'll call it, where there's only one console, jointly owned by Microsoft and Sony (after this generation has run its course). I know the devs are really pushing for it.

Not for a couple of hardware generations. Besides, the devs already got their universal system: we call it the personal computer, and look how THAT worked out.

Sony basically wants to be THE box in your living room; game system, DVD player, Internet video streamer, etc. So does Microsoft with the 360.
Basically it's a dick size competition, mostly good because while they're trying to screw each other, they're not trying to screw the consumer. The idea of Sony and Microsoft settling their differences and skipping off hand-in-hand into the sunset is the stuff of absolute NIGHTMARES for me, honestly.

Of course, neither of them likes to talk about the fact that Nintendo is beating them so badly the only way it could get more insulting is if Miyamoto started banging their wives.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am

Nintendo is targeting a different demographic now. I don't think either Sony or M$ care honestly. They want the hardcore gamer that buys games. Idiots like myself that spend way to much on it. People who buy Wii's are more likely to buy them for a couple of games. Whereas PS3 and 360 users usually buy multiple games a year at the very least.

Competition is good though. Sony is starting to put out decent games and developers are getting used to the hardware. Good for all of you owning the console. More people are getting them which will translate to more fun!

I still think that Nintendo will have a massive drop in sales sooner then later. They are in the lead now, but it won't hold. From a business perspective it doesn't matter because they make money on every console. For now of course, Brawl looks great so there you go.

I think Sega should re-release the Dreamcast with new games. :oops:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:04 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Got Ratchet and Clank (so it had better be good!) and Uncharted

Ratchet is a great game to have in the collection. Though it may seemed geared to kids it is like a Pixar movie in that the quality makes it an enjoyable experience for all ages.

I'm sure you'll be satisfied.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby King Psyz on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:52 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Well, the PS3 is now burning a hole under my desk :D

Got Ratchet and Clank (so it had better be good!) and Uncharted, as well as Spiderman 3, Casino Royale and an HDMI cable!

if you paid more than $6 for that cable take it back!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000001+1177522877&Description=hdmi&name=HDMI
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:42 pm

King Psyz wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:Well, the PS3 is now burning a hole under my desk :D

if you paid more than $6 for that cable take it back!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000001+1177522877&Description=hdmi&name=HDMI

It was part of the bundle, so who knows how much I paid!

But seriously, I wouldn't pay more than £10, preferably £5!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Psyz on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Awesome CeeBee!

Do we have a running tab of peoples PSN accounts by the way?

Good idea

Wonka = wonkabeer
King Psyz = kingpsyz

who else?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

PreviousNext

Return to Games