Playstation 3 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby King Psyz on Wed May 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Fawst wrote:Hey King, so your 80gb model with software emulation for PS2 B/C does or does not play PS1 discs when they are put into the drive? People on the Penny Arcade forums keep whining about how the PS3 "doesn't have B/C anymore," and I think they're confusing software replacing hardware.

I mean, you are still be able to go into your 80gb's system settings and create a PS1 memory card on the hard drive, right?

While I haven't tried with PS1 yet, I had no problems with any of the PS2 games I put in so far.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:47 pm

So Sony is pulling an XBOX Live Gold thing with their new QORE service. Basically a downloadable magazine to replace the ol OPM dvds.

Personally, considering those magazines were around $8/month and the only reason I bought them was for the demo discs I might have to fork out the $25 for a year.

They're also throwing in Calling All Cars which is supposed to be one of the better PSN games out.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:01 pm

King Psyz wrote:So Sony is pulling an XBOX Live Gold thing with their new QORE service. Basically a downloadable magazine to replace the ol OPM dvds.

Personally, considering those magazines were around $8/month and the only reason I bought them was for the demo discs I might have to fork out the $25 for a year.

They're also throwing in Calling All Cars which is supposed to be one of the better PSN games out.

all you basically get is some demos earlier I heard. Doesnt seem worth it even with the low cost.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Playstation 3 Thread

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Well the word is demos, themes, and possibly exclusive DLC for some titles. Like I said, I used to pay $8/month at the news stand to get OPM for the little demo discs for PS2 and this seems like a much better deal for $2/month plus you get calling all cars which is pretty rad in and of itself.

Personally I love PSN and downloading demos, I haven't gotten the nerve to buy a full game yet, but the ablility to click and play a demo with no disc changing is pretty fucking awesome. I'm pretty excited for Home and the movie/TV downloads to come this summer/fall because I can get behind downloading content onto the HDD and pressing x.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:04 pm

I'm SERIOUSLY considering giving up gaming in general.

Dont' get me wrong, I love shooting, blowing stuff up, and hacking and slashing stuff in a virtual sense, but as of late my luck in being able to enjoy said things has gone the way of the 8 track tape and the TRS 80.

In short, my PS3 committed suicide

Let me hypervent for just a moment:

Imagine you've bought a car. A beautiful, state of the art car, paid in full, and loaded to the gills with bells and whistles that the whole world raved about. Imagine you have it, and for 6 months enjoyed it fully, keeping it clean, well fueled, maintained and cared for like a precious gem. Now imagine that at the 6 month point you get in your car, turn the key and all of a sudden it behaves like Linda Blair in the Exorcist only on crystal meth. The windshield explodes as if hit by a shotgun blast, the car flips on its back, wheezes and gasps, the tires deflate on their own. Oil, gas, and fluids spray into the air as if cut by Uma Thurman in Kill Bill in the House of Blue Leaves, etc etc.

Now imagine that upon exiting the car, you do the only thing you can do since said vehicle is under warranty. You contact the manufacturer and after a short lecture about not being a fucking MORON for not following the proper instructions and being reminded that you should take care of said vehicle, they half heartedly agree to take it back to have a look-see. You go through this process..........TWICE. And in that time, nothing is done to it. The same heaping wreckage is left in your driveway with nothing done to it. As if the repair people were too tired playing with themselves to give a shit. All the while you're on the phone waiting for some dickhead to talk to after pressing enough buttons on your phone to make your fingers numb, then talking to some dipshit who keeps trying to reassure you that it's really all your fault because you did something to make said vehicle die(IE we're dragging our asses on this just to piss you off)

Well with any luck, the third time's the charm and I'll be getting a new PS3 hopefully soon. But if it fails, I'm demanding a refund with extreme fucking prejudice. 2 months without playing anything is wearing on my last fragile nerve and my patience is at a complete end with the Sony/Playstation Dickwit Donothings who think this is all in my head.

Right. All in my head. And maybe I'm also getting a rubdown from Angelina Jolie while Rihanna is giving me a foot massage with her tits.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:02 pm

:shock:

This really surprised me. I have heard nothing but good things about Sony PS3 support.

I hope they finally sort this for you, and I never have the same problem!, and that they get you up and running again.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:51 pm

sounds like the same thing moriarty went through with his PS3
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:59 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote::shock:

This really surprised me. I have heard nothing but good things about Sony PS3 support.

I hope they finally sort this for you, and I never have the same problem!, and that they get you up and running again.

Thanks. I was told by the lady on the phone that I would be receiving a brand new replacement this time. I was about ready to fucking go insane when it died. First I got a green screen with a sort of waving smoke in the background, then a dead black screen.

I was told to do a system update which I tried and left it on for a fucking HOUR and didn't take the first time I tried it. I also hope this'll put an end to all the bullshit I've had to go thru.

And yeah, Mori went thru a similar process, tho I'm unsure of the details on it.

Thanks for the support, it's been better than Sony's.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, got the PS3 replacement and it's working well. Played 2 hrs of GRAW 2 without a glitch, hitch, or bitch. Gonna try the blurays later. Here's hoping that all this shit's behind me. My only real complaint is that NOW the fuckers at Sony are selling the 80 GB model for the same price I got the 40 GB version($400). Bastards.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 am

So how bout that nifty hi def rental and purchase action that started today eh?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:01 am

King Psyz wrote:So how bout that nifty hi def rental and purchase action that started today eh?

In let you know in the 'fall'... :evil:

edit : No, apparently I won't. :evil:
Last edited by CeeBeeUK on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:34 am

But on the plus side, we get the platinum range launched in a fortnight. Link

It doesn't explicitly mention the US but I am sure you'll get it too, if you haven't already!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:56 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:But on the plus side, we get the platinum range launched in a fortnight. Link

It doesn't explicitly mention the US but I am sure you'll get it too, if you haven't already!

It's called Greatest Hits here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby King Psyz on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:07 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:
King Psyz wrote:So how bout that nifty hi def rental and purchase action that started today eh?

In let you know in the 'fall'... :evil:

edit : No, apparently I won't. :evil:

Yeah sorry about that and all, but you guys also get to record and play HD over the air content with your PS3s which can never come here until they either work out a system for NTSC or we switch to a different standard which would render ohh MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of consumer electronics worthless. So yeah, we're not getting it, ever...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:20 pm

PS3 is still running great. I bought Conan today for $20(yeah, I'm a cheap bastard). Going to buy GTA IV later but I've been told that there's some issues with the controls being difficult. Anyone else have these problems?

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:59 pm

I never had any control issues, I'm waiting for Civilization to arrive later today, that should be fun. I liked the demo.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Got GTA IV last week, plays great, no control issues. As far as playing other games and blurays it's doing well. Also, I can't explain it but I've had an unrealistic fear of playing Oblivion again on it since it's the game I was playing when my orig. died. Inexplicable. Next up is Madden 09. Can't wait for that.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:20 pm

So the other day I got an email from Sony saying I was in on the Socom beta, which by the way once you can finally get it to load and connect is a blast.

Today I got an email saying I was accepted into the Home closed beta!

I wonder if Sony looked up my old PSU acct, cause I used to demo all kinds of shit for PS2, Auto Modelista, the PS2 online Resident Evil, and a few other early online titles.

I just missed by a hair getting the FF XI demo which was going to include a free HDD for the PS2.

If Sony fixes the loading times and such for Socom I recomend it, it's loads of fun and I normally don't dig FPS games. Seeing as I am in a large public beta (Qore members and pre-orders) I expect shit connection. But if after release it's the same thing, skip it. I would rent Socom first to see what loading times are like when it goes gold.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:25 am

CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:35 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:Do hassle the Hoff! :D

Holy shit..... that's awesome!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:28 am

Fievel wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:Do hassle the Hoff! :D

Holy shit..... that's awesome!!!!

seconded!!! Blast the Hoff off.

Alright...Imma get a PS3 for myself for Christmas this year.
Anyone know where I can find one of those clinics where you can sell a kidney? :wink:
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:44 pm

That doesn't even look like The Hoff.

I mean, where's the cheeseburger? the tears?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:53 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:That doesn't even look like The Hoff.

I mean, where's the cheeseburger? the tears?

That's most likely the bonus/downloadable content for the game.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:55 pm

So Resistance 2 is fun as shit, highly recomended so far. Jesus... 60 people online at once is insanity at it's finest.

LittleBigPlanet is the reason we bought PS3s... seriously, if you have a PS3 buy, rent, borrow, steal this game. If you don't have one yet, beg for the LBP Bundle. I can't wait to play the full retail version and if my beta level is still active you have to check it out.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:24 am

Bioshock 2 pic.... Big Sister! Looks cool to me. Really creepy....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:07 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Bioshock 2 pic.... Big Sister! Looks cool to me. Really creepy....

I'll reply in this thread as I feel dirty if I go to the XBOX thread ;)

This is the teaser site for Bioshock 2
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:38 am

MonkeyM666's lack of posting this picture in the PC games thread as well shows a clear bias.
Shame on you, MonkeyM666.
Shame on you.

Having said that, I'm excited and can't wait to play it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Fievel wrote:MonkeyM666's lack of posting this picture in the PC games thread as well shows a clear bias.
Shame on you, MonkeyM666.
Shame on you.

Having said that, I'm excited and can't wait to play it.

Don't blame me, I couldn't get onto photobucket the other day.... I blame the vibe man.... the console vibe.

Also... who plays PC games anymore? Damn WOW hippy... ;p
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Legends of Wrestlemania oddly is the big big title I've been looking forward to. I truly miss playing my old Showdown: Legends of Wrestling game since I upgraded to the PS3. Sadly I'll have to wait til I get fully moved to a new house here in the Nashville area since I started my new job.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Re: Michael Jackson

Postby instant_karma on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 am

coldcs wrote:Michael Joseph Jackson (born August 29, 1958) is an American recording artist, entertainer, and businessman. The seventh child of the Jackson family, he debuted on the professional music scene at the age of 11 as a member of The Jackson 5 and began a solo career in 1971 while still a member of the group.

Does this mean they're doing the Moonwalker game for the PS3? I'd be up for some next gen hat throwing, zombie danching action...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Re: Michael Jackson

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:41 am

instant_karma wrote:
coldcs wrote:Michael Joseph Jackson (born August 29, 1958) is an American recording artist, entertainer, and businessman. The seventh child of the Jackson family, he debuted on the professional music scene at the age of 11 as a member of The Jackson 5 and began a solo career in 1971 while still a member of the group.

Does this mean they're doing the Moonwalker game for the PS3? I'd be up for some next gen hat throwing, zombie danching action...

Either that or the long-awaited Captain EO game.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby ChaoticMoira on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:06 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:

I'll reply in this thread as I feel dirty if I go to the XBOX thread
;)

As it should be...

CeeBeeUK wrote:
This is the teaser site for Bioshock 2

I am looking forward to this!

AND btw - @ Monkey - I still play on a PC whenever I can!! I have Oblivion on my PC and prefer games there whenever possible. I like the control system better.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 pm

ChaoticMoira wrote:
AND btw - @ Monkey - I still play on a PC whenever I can!! I have Oblivion on my PC and prefer games there whenever possible. I like the control system better.

Don't worry about poor monkey, he's deluded. he still thinks that Xbox is better than a PS3 and a PC. :lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ChaoticMoira on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:46 pm

papalazeru wrote:
ChaoticMoira wrote:

Don't worry about poor monkey, he's deluded. he still thinks that Xbox is better than a PS3 and a PC. :lol:

It's a sickness, and there should be pills for it...
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 am

Currently playing the inFamous Demo that came out on the PSN this week.

This just jumped to the top of my play list! It's a sandbox game with a main character that's been given electrical super powers. He was a free runner (apparently!) before the incident, which means this is like the lightning-bolt/parkour version of GTA 4.

Run up the side of the building, to drainpipe, to window sill, onto a lamp post, jump onto a passing train, fry the bad guy on the roof as you pass.

This game is kick-ass.

Plus it is has one of the largest demo areas I have seen in years. You have an entire area of the map to play in, three different missions to complete.

I can't wait until next Friday! :D

Video review
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Hermanator X on Sat May 23, 2009 8:41 am

Cheers CeeBee. I will have to check it out.

Heres a link to browser version of the same game. http://www.agame.com/game/Infamous.html to further get you in the mood!

Im almost done with Saints Row 2, which I picked up cheap, and fancied something a bit more casual than GTA4. I gotta say, its a fuckton of fun, totally ridiculous, but the game plays well, and the story is pretty funny (and harsh in a very silly ott way).
8 out of 10 for me.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby BloodyBandage on Tue May 26, 2009 10:26 pm

I think Sony should have pushed the Blu Ray issue a bit harder and still has time to do so...granted it costs more to make but it's a solid piece of hardware. I never had any overheating issues with it unlike the 360 which has frozen on me numerous times.
BloodyBandage
GLIB

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm in two minds about posting this link, but you guys need to read it, so...

Activision may drop ps3 support.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fievel on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:35 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:I'm in two minds about posting this link, but you guys need to read it, so...

Activision may drop ps3 support.

There have been heavy rumors of an autumn price drop - just before the holiday season.
Hopefully this threat is a boot in the ass to Sony to get them to drop sooner.

If Sony was smart, they'd drop it this summer a week or two before Madden and NCAA Football are released.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Well, I finally finished inFamous and, a few niggles aside, I loved it.

The game is as I described above, a force lightning/parkour version of GTA!

You can influence your characters karma at certain break points, so finding pedestrians have strung someone up, you can leave him to his fate or set him free. Your karma choices determine which powers you develop and also (in a limited way) affect the story as it progresses. Your appearance also changes, make evil choices and your skin fades to gray and you develop nasty scars on your face. Also, pedestrians will throw rocks at you! :D Make good karma choices and pedestrians will throw rocks at your enemies as you fight them and ask to take your picture!

The game is split of three islands, with a reasonable speed of progression across them. You have a range of powers (15 or so) that are learned by your character as the story progresses. They range from electric grenades to the power to call down lightning storms. The basic powers can be upgraded, once you have earned enough XP, to increase the scope and force of the power. Grenades split into 3, 5 or 7 on landing!

The story, while not massively original (gasp!), plays out quite well, expanding the enemy ranges just as the last is becoming predictable; introducing new characters and motivations at well spaced intervals. It also ends quite well, although I won't say too much.

My only niggles are
  • that the balancing of the XP required and the speed at which you earn it could have been better. On my first play though (on hard level) I completed the missions and needed 8000 xp to buy the last weapon upgrade. As a killing a standard bad guy earns 10XP, you can imagine that is was a bind to do it. I did, but I'm a trophy whore! ;)
  • The building models are re-used too frequently. Sometimes it's hard to remember where you saw a mission on the map, because the same round building is reused on all three islands. There is an in-game map with way settable waypoints for that though! But a bit more variety would have been nice.

Overall : 9/10
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fievel on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:48 pm

PS3 Slim is a reality.
So is $299 price point!!!

IGN article
Gamespot article

After I get my TV, I'll finally be getting one of these.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:19 pm

I also plan on throwing down for the PS3.

Been holding off just for this.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Stainless on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Seems the only real gripe I have with my PS3 is that if I download a demo, game, or movie to rent, it takes fucking forever to download. My cable internet is fast enough to not give me any problems on pc games, so not sure why this happens.

Almost done with GRAW 2, noticed someone else posting on here was playing it. PRetty damn good game, couldn't really find many people online playing, though. (I bought PS3 version cuz it would likely chug on my PC, and my Xbox360 isn't hooked up to the net)
I'd like to offer moral support, but I have questionable morals.
Stainless
GLIB

Postby King Psyz on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm looking forward to the flood of new PSN IDs this season
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:05 pm

King Psyz wrote:I'm looking forward to the flood of new PSN IDs this season

Keep an eye out for Leckomaniac. Because I will almost certainly be picking up a PS3 when I move into my new place.

I can't wait to play FIFA10!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm

I really really want one. I just cannot afford it still. I am just barely keeping our house right now...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:32 am

Hello all.

I am the newest member of the PS3 party. King Psyz has already graciously extended his hand in friendship. If any others would like to do the same my screen is Leckomaniac.

PlayStation Home is, what, like the Sims? I just glanced at it, but that is what it seemed like to me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Hello all.

I am the newest member of the PS3 party. King Psyz has already graciously extended his hand in friendship. If any others would like to do the same my screen is Leckomaniac.

PlayStation Home is, what, like the Sims? I just glanced at it, but that is what it seemed like to me.

It's not even the SIMS, it's more like console second life. I've tried to find the fun or intrest, I was in the beta so I got the furniture and summer house for free. I can't belive people actually pay real money, and a lot of it for fantasy furniture and clothes.

Some fo the game related stuff is cool though. Sandtables for Warhawk for instance is pretty awesome. I would love to see tracks for GT5 when it comes out to plot out the best lines. Can't seem to get it to connect since the last update with the little bit planet space.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 pm

Has anyone played CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION for PS3? I used to be a huge fan of RTS games and would like to get back into it and have heard some good things about CR.

Can anyone offer some insight?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:08 pm

I've not played the ps3 version, but the game it's self is no CIV2.
It just doesn't feel right.

Download the demo & see what you think.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

PreviousNext

Return to Games