Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:41 am

HELL YEAH!

Just found out my preordered Ghost Recon for 360 is on its way! Good thing too, I just finished Halo 2.

Will post impressions when it gets here.
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 am

OK, it's now in my hands after a fudge up with the Post Office and I've been playing for a couple of hours... MAN this game is great! It's really very tactical, being in control of a Recon squad, and as such has a heavy grounding in realism. All the tech is based on stuff they're really developing for "future soldier" use and it's really one of the only games I've played which gives you the feeling of being in an actual warzone - the other two being the first Call of Duty and Operation Flashpiont.

Now, the gameplay seems pretty solid. I'm an old hand at PC titles so getting used to the thumbsticks takes some time, but its actually very intuitive. Everything about the game seems to allow for a wide range of tactical play without you having to worry to hard about hitting the wrong button. It quickly became second nature to flick between weapons so no issue there... but it is a tricky title in that you can never rush into any situation. The bad guys seem to be placed for tactical effect, meaning you have to be on your guard and checking every corner.

What really gets me, though, is the open-ended environment. The scale of Mexico City... recreated in a game... it really feels like you've got a recorded view from the inside of a Blackhawk of an actual city, but no, it's the game. Unlike past titles where a cutscene gives away to shitty ingame graphics, you actually descend into the city and start playing straight off! It's startling. The Historic center is so full of detail its breathtaking... the Mexican flag in the center rustling realistically in the breeze...

I'll post more as I get into it. It's not an easy game by any stretch!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:25 am

OK, been playing it a ton more... this is the best game I've played since Resident Evil 4, hands-down. I mean, I've played some corkers recently... FEAR, Farenheit (brilliant narrative until the end), COD2... but this game is the bees knees. The scale of the levels is incredible, even though you're technically hemmed in and you really need to take it slow. Because you're surrounded by skyscrapers and tall buildings at some points, you get pinned down by sniper fire and have to figure out a way to distract your target using your team.

The AW kit pretty much means you're equal to the team you're controlling in terms of your abilities. You're able to target enemies in your hud and track them behind objects thanks to your satnav. I found myself chuckling evilly when a bad guy would take cover behind sandbags or a wooden hut, securing his position and then taking the shot with a sniper rifle so the bullet would penetrate the cover.

This game is really tough. The fourth section finds you penetrating an enemy hillside mansion solo with nothing but a sniper rifle to hand in order to take out SAM positions. It's not easy whatsoever, particularly when you have to circle the area in a Blackhawk first. But this game gives you a feeling of achievement once you've cleared an area, as if you've managed something, and not many games do that. It's also very filmic - being third-person over the shoulder - and some of the "set pieces" are marvellous - being hemmed in at an embassey in the center of the city as the music builds and the enemy flood in to finish the job a bomb didn't manage to previously. Running through a castle gardens with nothing but moonlight as an enemy bird swoops down to take you out. It's atmospheric and a true next-gen title.

Worth buying a 360 for? I'd say yes!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby horace on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm

I am a little lazy. Basically - the game is sweet. Online play is a lot of fun once you get rolling. Sometimes it takes too long to get INTO a game. Yesterday it took me about 30 minutes to find a lobby with repeat play. But man, I don't see me putting this down any time soon.
horace
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby horace on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:47 pm

Aight, jumped into some so-op campaign with my roomate last night nad though it has become a little bit of a trial and error, I cna tell we are getting better at covering each other nad moving at a good pace. The greta thing about this game is that as I am playing it I can definitely see the skill factor where you can develop over time to be a lot better. Rather than Halo's arcade talent this is actually team oriented and organized. Fun stuff.
horace
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:20 pm

Thats what I enjoyed about the best bits in COD. Team factor, which is also why BF2 is such a great title.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby horace on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:23 am

My roomate has BF2 and he like sit a lot. I heard that they are coming out with a BF2 for X360 as well. Think it will be able to hold its own?
horace
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Return to Games