PS3 delay...Good for European Gamers?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

PS3 delay...Good for European Gamers?

Postby King Psyz on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:00 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4807858.stm

It had originally planned to release its new machine in the spring. But instead it is now talking of a November release in Japan, the US and Europe simultaneously.

In the past, Sony has staggered the launch of new consoles, with Europe coming a belated third.

"We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas," said David Reeves, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

"This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally."

The delay means Sony's machine will not be in the shops in the US and Japan until a year after the Xbox 360, giving Microsoft a valuable lead in building up its market share.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Well, except we keep hearing the games are ass, but it is nice that Europe isn't getting the short end of the stick.

Now that Sony's giving up the ghost on the release date...I wonder about the cost.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:47 pm

I have a feeling cost will come at e³
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby jgraphix on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:17 pm

Cost is speculated to be around $500!?

Source: Cnn Money

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/15/news/international/sony_ps3.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:21 pm

jgraphix wrote:Cost is speculated to be around $500!?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/15/news/international/sony_ps3.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Hell, Merrill Lynch put out a report saying the damn thing would cost $900 total to get to market. Sony flatly denied that after letting speculation run wild for a week.

Of course, they ALSO denied that they'd delay the PS3. So we'll see. I notice there's no word on game cost.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:24 pm

What are the rumors regarding specs? Will it play PS2 games? I heard a dirty rumor that it didn't, which scared the crap out of me.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby jgraphix on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:26 pm

I'm not sure, if they are using BluRay if that will affect it's backwards compatability. It would be a mistake to not make it play both.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:28 pm

jgraphix wrote:I'm not sure, if they are using BluRay if that will affect it's backwards compatability. It would be a mistake to not make it play both.

I agree if it doesn't I highly doubt I'll buy it!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby jgraphix on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Not for $500 - $900 friggin dollars!

Unless the damn thing teleports you to different worlds...then I would.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:32 pm

Vegeta wrote:What are the rumors regarding specs? Will it play PS2 games? I heard a dirty rumor that it didn't, which scared the crap out of me.

That's why there's a delay, they have stated from the begining and in that article that it will be fully backwards compatible out the box (no need to be online to play older games ala xbox 360). They had similar issues when they went to PS2 and the DVD-ROM format, they had to delay shipping to solve the CD/DVD laser problem which at that time DVD players couldn't play CDs as is now common thanks to Sony's work on the PS2.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Vegeta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:36 pm

King Psyz wrote:
Vegeta wrote:What are the rumors regarding specs? Will it play PS2 games? I heard a dirty rumor that it didn't, which scared the crap out of me.

That's why there's a delay, they have stated from the begining and in that article that it will be fully backwards compatible out the box (no need to be online to play older games ala xbox 360). They had similar issues when they went to PS2 and the DVD-ROM format, they had to delay shipping to solve the CD/DVD laser problem which at that time DVD players couldn't play CDs as is now common thanks to Sony's work on the PS2.

Whew! Well it had better or I'll buy a figgin' Xbox 360.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:42 pm

I cant afford it when it comes out anyway
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:54 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I cant afford it when it comes out anyway

Get a Revolution. You too, Vegeta. It's only $200 and it's freakin' Nintendo.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I cant afford it when it comes out anyway

You got those monster mitts, just beat up enough school kids for their lunch money, til you got enough:twisted:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Hell, I'd get one and I've got a 360.

Which I'm lovin' nightly, having my wicked way caressing its thumpads and lightly tapping its glowing nipples.

GRAW is tasty fun. Oblivion is out next week. The best version of Burnout is out now. Mmm.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:06 pm

So, um, yeah, just looked at this:

http://collider.com/videogames/news/article.asp?ai d=2066&tcid=5

Most interesting bit of info?

Developers won't get the final development kits until June. Meaning they have less than six months to actually finish the goddamn games to meet that launch date!!

Jesus. Christ. On a motherfucking pogo stick. Between the price point, the DRM and that little tidbit, I'm amazed anyone still wants this system.

Oh, and I like how they saw Nintendo incorporating Wi-Fi and DS functionality and stole it. Shouldn't that be Microsoft doing that?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Last I heard the PS3 components are "off the shelf" in a similar way to the Xbox back in the day.

Considering Microsoft thought this was a mistake and made a move towards unified architecture and design, it makes you wonder what the bods are thinking at Sony. Now we're hearing the 360's GPU is capable of far more than Microsoft advertised too.

[quote]First off, we reported on page 2 in our chart that the capable “Shader Performanceâ€
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Theta wrote:
jgraphix wrote:Cost is speculated to be around $500!?

Hell, Merrill Lynch put out a report saying the damn thing would cost $900 total to get to market. Sony flatly denied that after letting speculation run wild for a week.

Of course, they ALSO denied that they'd delay the PS3. So we'll see. I notice there's no word on game cost.

I'm pretty sure there will be 2 skews, one that is Blu-ray capable (cheaper-around $500, with a BR driver only-upgradable to full Blu-ray ability) and a more expensive skew that is fully compatible with Blu-ray (closer to the $800-900 range).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby King Psyz on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:49 pm

Actually the Wi-Fi and PSP interactivity was one of the design points from the begining. In fact it was Sony that announced the whole Bluetooth controller/Wi-Fi thing first.

Second, Sony has said that they do not want to go the multiple release style like 360 as far as base model vs Limited. They don't mind taking a loss on hardware because they'll make it up in licensing.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Bean on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:52 pm

I think that's just an excuse for the delay. The real reason I thought was because the technology still isn't ready?
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:21 pm

Not to worry. The PS3 is fully backward compatible. It will also
play both standard DVDs and BluRay discs.

In a word, the PS3 is going to PWN.

Meanwhile, the XBOX 360? Call it DREAMCAST REDUX.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:45 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Not to worry. The PS3 is fully backward compatible. It will also

GTFO if you're going to be like that. Have you even played a 360? It kicks A LOT of ass. Have you played a PS3? No. And you won't until November at least.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:33 pm

Guys, guys, pay respect to Sony please. If it wasn't for them you'd still be hopping on platforms playing games with green blood. Your console makers treat you as unintelligent, Sony know what you want and wiped out all the pansies when they released Resident Evil (Yes, with red blood, the family horror)!! Nintendo soon forgot their morals when they realised they'd had their asses kicked with a console which brought out daring risky games.

Xbox/microsoft...pah... the most middle of the road company in existence. Yup, it works, not that efficient, but it works, lets ship.

Sony wants to blow your nuts away, not market you into buying it. Pay respect.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby King Psyz on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutio ns wrote:Not to worry. The PS3 is fully backward compatible. It will also

GTFO if you're going to be like that. Have you even played a 360? It kicks A LOT of ass. Have you played a PS3? No. And you won't until November at least.

I don't know man, I got to play the 360 a few months before release and it was just shinier versions of older games.

Need for Speed, Gotham Racing, Burnout, etc. From what I saw, the orginal titles were meh.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:01 am

So? By November there's going to be tons more releases. Hell, this month has seen GRAW, which is a fantastic fucking game. I'm having AS MUCH fun as I did with Resident Evil 4 last year on GC, and that's saying something. The scale of the environments adds to the gameplay, which in itself is intuitive and compelling.

If the 360 is a Dreamcast redux, then how come the 360 version of Fight Night Round 3 is outselling the PS2 version 2 to 1? That GRAW entered the charts directly behind FIFA here in the UK? Oblivion is out next week... you SEEN that?

As for the releases you've mentioned, they're in the main cross-platform. True, if you're not interested in FPS' etc. then maybe they're not for you. But I've got PGR3 here and its online play is superb, which is a big part of the 360 experience, ranking you on tracks even in single player and compelling you to try harder. COD2 is an incredibly tense game, too, and I've really got my moneys worth out of it. DOA4 isn't the most original game in the world, but it IS a fluid fighter. NFS:MW has some real zest to it thanks to the police chases and looks great, but its not the most original game in the world.

If you take a look into the future titles releasing BEFORE November, there's tons coming up. Gears of War look amazing. Viva Pinata looks like its going to be the best Nintendo game not on Nintendo and, even if it is a driving game, you have an entire island to freestyle on in Testdrive Unlimited. I'm happy with my purchase, I'll say that to you now - as a GAMER, not a fanboy.

I didn't own a console before this, and am glad I got it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:13 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I'm happy with my purchase, I'll say that to you now - as a GAMER, not a fanboy.

There's a difference?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:02 am

Yes.

(Was that a trick question?)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:57 am

magicmonkey wrote: Sony wants to blow your nuts away, not market you into buying it. Pay respect.

Your new ranking is "DRANK THE KOOLAID." :P

Sony is ALL about hype and marketing, in all of their respects. They're not a bad company, but their reputation for quality comes from two places: their professional and expensive high-end gear, which really is good stuff (and fairly reasonably priced, considering.)

However, that quality does NOT extend to their consumer equipment, including the PS2. Sony loves to inflict proprietary formats on the consumer, and their products are consistently not up to the hype. They perform well enough, but you can get products that perform better for cheaper (shit, my old Apex DVD player handily outperformed my current Sony DVD player.)

The PSP is an excellent example. Remember when it was going to be this awesome portable? Well, they STILL don't have a killer app game ("Infected?" Spare me.) They watched all their hype get negated when "Nintendogs" hit and the DS zoomed past the PSP. And Nintendo's been basically raping them ever since; the DS may not play movies but it's much cheaper and it's got the games.

Insult to injury, recently their own market research showed that most PSP owners don't want to buy games, because the games will update the system's firmware and they want to keep their firmware hacks in place. Basically, most PSP owners use the system to watch movies and to play NES roms.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:18 am

Sony believes they have made a "perfect product" (I'm positive that's the direct quote) with the PSP. Remember those joystick problems, where it would get stuck? Sony would not believe it was a result of poor design, but rather the blame lay in the consumer's hands. Not a great way to treat your customers.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:19 am

Get the Play Yan on import and the DS can play movies.

This public service announcement was brought to you by AtomicHyperbole.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:25 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Get the Play Yan on import and the DS can play movies.

That would involve ceasing to play Metroid Pinball. And this I cannot do.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am

Theta wrote:
magicmonkey wrote: Sony wants to blow your nuts away, not market you into buying it. Pay respect.

Your new ranking is "DRANK THE KOOLAID." :Proms.

Haha, merci beaucoup. Gotta agree with ya on some of your points there Theta. The PSP does seem a pile of drivel to me, mobile gaming doesn't stretch beyond Tetris for me. I need a big screen, a damn big screen or else these games just don't really do it for me.

My point earlier was that Sony seem to have a degree of respect for the consumer, in regards to their appropiation of adult themed games, something that was sorely lacking in the console market. Consoles and games had a very bad rep before Sony came along... Tombraider alone seemed to capture alot of peoples imaginations... I personally detested the game and its control system.

Anyway, my point with Microsoft and Xbox is that they are middle of the road, as I mention, it functions, not as good as it could, but it functions. Just look at windows, workbench on a commodore Amiga could multitask a long time before windows reached this "feat" with high end pentiums.

Microsoft pump out uninspired crap, a malaise that is prevelent in all gaming at the moment, the only people I see taking risks is Sony, that is something I respect and is something that got them into the position they were in. However, all could change, they could play safe, but by going with Blu ray etc, they are at least taking a risk. I just hope the same is true for the software. Please god, please.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:25 pm

Theta wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Get the Play Yan on import and the DS can play movies.

That would involve ceasing to play Metroid Pinball. And this I cannot do.

That game is illegally addictive and the best simulated pinball game there is. Crazy fun! All they need to do now is invent a motion sensor plugin cart.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Oh and Microsoft have just plumbed money into developing Spore and Viva Pinata.

Looks good and hardly "uninspired".
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:13 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Oh and Microsoft have just plumbed money into developing Spore and Viva Pinata.

Looks good and hardly "uninspired".

Ha , I knew that was coming. Viva Pinata I saw on gamespot today, they have a video preview of it, check it out if you want a laugh. The spokesman is crap. Yes, i'm willing to believe that this could be a fun game, but it stinks of family freindly nintendo (not that thats a bad thing, just derivative) titles. I think it has the potential to really fail dismally, I hope not, but going from that preview I think it might. Come on , its no Pyschonauts.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:47 pm

Bet this thread gets locked.

The delay only seems to be effecting the Japanese release date. I wasn't expecting a US release until Fall of this year anyway. Now they are saying to definitely expect it before Thanksgiving. That's cool with me.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby King Psyz on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:16 pm

well hence the title of the thread, I was bringing up the fact that Sony has decided to include the euro market in the debut which is usually left last.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:22 pm

MadCapsule wrote:Bet this thread gets locked.

The delay only seems to be effecting the Japanese release date. I wasn't expecting a US release until Fall of this year anyway. Now they are saying to definitely expect it before Thanksgiving. That's cool with me.

The Dino, he-a no wants anyone to have-a the fun, you know, paisan?

[I think you're right, so I'm taking my shots now.]
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:24 pm

I've been considering buying another console for a while now, but I can't make up my mind which one to get. I own a Gamecube and I have about 15 or so very good games for it, so it's been a worthwhile purchase, but I really, really want a machine that has GTA and other greats that just aren't released for the GC.

Obviously I'd go with a next gen system, but therein lies the question--do I go with the XBox 360 or the PS3? I'm assuming both are backwards compatible, and most games tend to be released for both. I get the impression that the 360 is the way to go as they'll be releasing parts to add onto it, but the PS3 is supposed to have Blue Ray or some shit.

What should I do, folks?

(Oh, and I don't play PC games. Something about the console just strikes me better, and the multiplayer around the living room is far more fun.)
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Personally, I'd wait until ALL the next-gen consoles are out to make a concrete decision. I really think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions far too early with this kind of thing.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Well, I'd go with the PS3 MW. But, hey get a 360, seeing as though its out, but it might be awhile before any really good games come out for it, if the PS3 is as good as I hope, you'll end up with one anyway.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Petri on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:32 pm

I'll get a 360 after the first price drop just because I really enjoy my Xbox and the 360's games look like a good lineup as well.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:35 pm

Thing is, I never get more than one system of the same "generation", so I always feel like I'm somehow missing out on an experience. I got my Gamecube for cheap, mainly because of how much fun the Mario games are, and then I was pumped to hear the RE games were going exclusive with them (which they aren't anymore).

I played GTA a number of times on different people's systems and absolutely fell in love, so the next system I get WILL be able to play them.

That said, I know once Nintendo introduces their fancy new Revolution with these crazy two-handed controller, I'm gonna fall right for it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:35 pm

Pfft. "Might be a while before any good games come out for it".

Is bullshit your first language? ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:38 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Is bullshit your first language? ;)

At least he's not bilingual in "Hyperbolish" and "Douchebagese", unlike some people...

:twisted:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I've been considering buying another console for a while now, but I can't make up my mind which one to get. I own a Gamecube and I have about 15 or so very good games for it, so it's been a worthwhile purchase, but I really, really want a machine that has GTA and other greats that just aren't released for the GC.

Obviously I'd go with a next gen system, but therein lies the question--do I go with the XBox 360 or the PS3? I'm assuming both are backwards compatible, and most games tend to be released for both. I get the impression that the 360 is the way to go as they'll be releasing parts to add onto it, but the PS3 is supposed to have Blue Ray or some shit.

What should I do, folks?

(Oh, and I don't play PC games. Something about the console just strikes me better, and the multiplayer around the living room is far more fun.)

Buy a Nintendo DS. Wait on the next-gens until the birth pains have ended. Then you'll have price drops, better games, and can probably get more than one of them.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:53 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Thing is, I never get more than one system of the same "generation", so I always feel like I'm somehow missing out on an experience. I got my Gamecube for cheap, mainly because of how much fun the Mario games are, and then I was pumped to hear the RE games were going exclusive with them (which they aren't anymore).

I played GTA a number of times on different people's systems and absolutely fell in love, so the next system I get WILL be able to play them.

That said, I know once Nintendo introduces their fancy new Revolution with these crazy two-handed controller, I'm gonna fall right for it.

I hear ya. Buying the Revolution is pretty much a foregone conclusion in my head. And I am not a fanboy. Aside from that, I'm a bit more interested in the PS3 than the 360 at this point. But as I've said, I'm waiting to see how everything plays out before I make a decision.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:55 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Is bullshit your first language? ;)

At least he's not bilingual in "Hyperbolish" and "Douchebagese", unlike some people...

:twisted:

That's ok, Master Wiener. If you gotta insult other people to take the heat off you, be my guest. :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:02 pm

No insulting. Just a little affectionate dink-touching.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:12 pm

MadCapsule wrote:I hear ya. Buying the Revolution is pretty much a foregone conclusion in my head. And I am not a fanboy. Aside from that, I'm a bit more interested in the PS3 than the 360 at this point. But as I've said, I'm waiting to see how everything plays out before I make a decision.

Hell, I'm getting the Revolution just because it's going to be $250 max. Cheap consoles? I want to encourage that!

I actually ironically am looking at getting a 360, mostly because I want to play Burnout (there's a reason I don't have a driver's license IRL.) But I'm annoyed that Live is so integrated that you have to get it or basically you don't have a system. I'm not going to spend $300 on something so I can rent the fucking thing.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Games