PS3 delay...Good for European Gamers?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:13 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:No insulting. Just a little affectionate dink-touching.

MasterWhedon

MOLESTS FORUM MEMBERS
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:34 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Yes.

(Was that a trick question?)

No. Pretty straight forward. Whats the difference between
a "gamer" and a "fanboy"?

Keeping in mind, of course, that, to my understanding,
anyone who identifies themselves as a "gamer" is already
a "fanboy" (or, "geek". "otaku", etc.).

So please, help me out. How does identifying oneself as
a "gamer" remove the signifier "fanboy" from their
consumer identity?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:38 pm

See, I've always thought that a fanboy was the rabid fanatic/blind loyalist type.

Y'know, like "Fuck Brand X! Brand Y pwns all and can do no wrong!" That type of thing.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:40 pm

^What he said.

A gamer is someone who plays games. A Fanboy is someone who takes the side of a brand. An Otaku is japanese for fan. You can also be a gamer and not be a geek, as I'm sure many soccer simulator players would tell you.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:41 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
AtomicHype rbole wrote:Yes.

(Was that a trick question?)

No. Pretty straight forward. Whats the difference between
a "gamer" and a "fanboy"?

Keeping in mind, of course, that, to my understanding,
anyone who identifies themselves as a "gamer" is already
a "fanboy" (or, "geek". "otaku", etc.).

So please, help me out. How does identifying oneself as
a "gamer" remove the signifier "fanboy" from their
consumer identity?

I think you start by not posting here. :D

When I hear "fanboy", I generally associate it with somebody who, well, doesn't have any taste. If it's got big explosions, violence and/or "titties", they'll love it as long as they get those at regular two-or-three minute intervals. They're the guys on Live telling you to suck dick and getting off the server right before you kill them so they don't lose.

A "gamer" shows more restraint and selects on the basis of gameplay and overall quality of the game, not on the basis of hype or trailers. I think I'd classify Tycho and Gabe of "Penny Arcade" as gamers.

Or has simply kicked so much fanboy ass that everyone's scared of him.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:42 pm

MadCapsule wrote:See, I've always thought that a fanboy was the rabid fanatic/blind loyalist type.

Y'know, like "Fuck Brand X! Brand Y pwns all and can do no wrong!" That type of thing.

Shit. I guess I lose by that standard...
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:48 pm

MadCapsule wrote:See, I've always thought that a fanboy was the rabid fanatic/blind loyalist type.

Oh, I see now. I always thought fanboy meant people who give
themselves consumer identities based on their hobbies. Like, for
instance, calling oneself a "gamer".

By the way, who is the "blind loyalist" you are referring to?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:53 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:An Otaku is japanese for fan.

Actually, it's Japanese for "obsessive fan" or, in English parlance,
"geek." See I used to live there; I worked as an ESL teacher.
But thanks for sharing!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Oh, I see now. I always thought fanboy meant people who give
themselves consumer identities based on their hobbies. Like, for
instance, calling oneself a "gamer".

By the way, who is the "blind loyalist" you are referring to?

No one in particular. But I do tend to see rampant "fanboyism" amongst video gamers. Take a trip on over to 1up. They have a feature similar to the Talkbacks here at AICN and they almost invariably devolve in the same manner as the Talkbacks.

I've always been confused as to why people are so defensive about their video games.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:21 pm

MadCapsule wrote:I've always been confused as to why people are so defensive about their video games.

I agree. I think it goes way beyond games, though: movies,
books, music, everything. Some people take the stuff they
enjoy waaaay too seriously.

At the end of the day, its all just entertainment.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 pm

MadCapsule wrote:I've always been confused as to why people are so defensive about their video games.

thank christ! and the truth shall set you free!!!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:30 pm

Exactly. What one person finds entertaining, someone else might not. Accept it and move on. It's not like it's hurting anybody. For the most part that is. Unless that form of entertainment is chair-throwing. But, c'mon- how can anybody not like chair-throwing?

Group hug! :lol:
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:35 pm

MadCapsule wrote:Exactly. What one person finds entertaining, someone else might not. Accept it and move on. It's not like it's hurting anybody. For the most part that is. Unless that form of entertainment is chair-throwing. But, c'mon- how can anybody not like chair-throwing?

FUCK YOU, FUCKER! Chairthrowng suckz balz and eatz you momma! Stool throwig kickz chare throwingz AZZZZZZZZ, COKSUCKER!!!!

:shock:

*Ahem* Excuse me.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:40 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:Exactly. What one person finds entertaining, someone else might not. Accept it and move on. It's not like it's hurting anybody. For the most part that is. Unless that form of entertainment is chair-throwing. But, c'mon- how can anybody not like chair-throwing?

FUCK YOU, FUCKER! Chairthrowng suckz balz and eatz you momma! Stool throwig kickz chare throwingz AZZZZZZZZ, COKSUCKER!!!!

:shock:

*Ahem* Excuse me.

Hahahahaha! But what if it's a chair covered in stool? What then? Or are you talking about bar stools? Gah! The possibilities are endless!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:02 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Well, I'd go with the PS3 MW. But, hey get a 360, seeing as though its out, but it might be awhile before any really good games come out for it, if the PS3 is as good as I hope, you'll end up with one anyway.

That's what I don't get. I have 6 games, and I'd consider 5 of them to be really good. I enjoy them all immensely. And I'm not even counting OBLIVION, which comes out in a few days.

And to the GTA fan who's debating, the 360 is looking good for you now (I'm not saying that should be your choice) because it's got SAINTS ROW (next gen GTA) and CRACKDOWN (a super cop version of GTA where you have super powers and stuff), as well as the next GTA (which is rumored to be non-time exclusive this gen.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:30 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:An Otaku is japanese for fan.

Actually, it's Japanese for "obsessive fan" or, in English parlance,
"geek." See I used to live there; I worked as an ESL teacher.
But thanks for sharing!

I just came back from there after a short break... my cuz is there teaching English. What's ESL mean?

btw I was always told Otaku was merely fan, but my cuz said it meant geek too. Looks like there's tons of ways of translating it...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:39 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:my cuz is there teaching English. What's ESL mean?

"English as a Second Language." Or, in short, English!

So yer cousin is probably doing more or less the same
thing that I was doing. Best! Job! Ever! (seriously, it was
great... a great experience in every sense of the word...)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:27 pm

Theta wrote:
Hell, I'm getting the Revolution just because it's going to be $250 max. Cheap consoles? I want to encourage that!

I actually ironically am looking at getting a 360, mostly because I want to play Burnout (there's a reason I don't have a driver's license IRL.) But I'm annoyed that Live is so integrated that you have to get it or basically you don't have a system. I'm not going to spend $300 on something so I can rent the fucking thing.

AMEN

I know how much MS fanbots love to drone on about the superior online play of live over the non integration of playstation titles. Guess what, I have played games online on Playstation, I'm not sure how it could be any better.

Maybe some people came into lag issues, never happened with any games I played. Resident Evil Outbreak, Auto Modelista, Twisted Metal, etc. So I don't know why I would want to pay for the same thing every month for the added bonus of hearing 10 year olds curse like sailors while spilling mountain dew on their mom's couch.

Add that to the fact that without LIVE no backwards compatibility.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:59 pm

King Psyz wrote:
Theta wrote:
Hell, I'm getting the Revolution just because it's going to be $250 max. Cheap consoles? I want to encourage that!

I actually ironically am looking at getting a 360, mostly because I want to play Burnout (there's a reason I don't have a driver's license IRL.) But I'm annoyed that Live is so integrated that you have to get it or basically you don't have a system. I'm not going to spend $300 on something so I can rent the fucking thing.

AMEN

I know how much MS fanbots love to drone on about the superior online play of live over the non integration of playstation titles. Guess what, I have played games online on Playstation, I'm not sure how it could be any better.

Maybe some people came into lag issues, never happened with any games I played. Resident Evil Outbreak, Auto Modelista, Twisted Metal, etc. So I don't know why I would want to pay for the same thing every month for the added bonus of hearing 10 year olds curse like sailors while spilling mountain dew on their mom's couch.

Add that to the fact that without LIVE no backwards compatibility.

In all fairness, have you played Live? I have. The difference is in the details, my friend. The advantages of having a unified online gaming structure are quite obvious. I don't even own an X-box and I can recognize that. So does Sony apparently, seeing as how they have decided to pretty much use Live as the model for their online gaming. Granted, Sony promises that they will "blow Live out of the water" with the PS3's online capabilities. But the fact that Sony is going with the basic idea of how Live operates says a lot about what the X-box has accomplished with Live.

Can you honestly say that you haven't heard 10 yr. olds cursing like sailors while playing PS2 games online? I have. The hardcore SOCOM (1,2 OR 3) gamers online are just as bad, if not worse, than the most dedicated Halo2 gamers.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:26 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
In all fairness, have you played Live? I have.

Me too. It makes me happy my gaming is generally a solitary experience, and I think Live is mostly an interesting sociological proof that most gamers have no social skills. If Microsoft really wanted my dollar, they'd cut the cost by five bucks, put age limits on who can use an earpiece, and make any intentional departure from the server an automatic black mark. Out of five games I played, FOUR split from the server when it became clear they were about to lose. And ALL of them crossed the line between talking trash and being personally insulting.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:43 pm

360 Live has supposedly addressed the issues you've mentioned about players. There is supposed to be a reputation rating for each player. And I believe gamers with similar reps and playing skills are grouped together.

I've also experienced poor sportsmanship on PS2 online games. On the opposite side of the coin, I've recieved glowing praise from people that I've pwnt. So, really it's just hit or miss when it comes to what kind of people you're going to run across online. For either console.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:45 am

^That's correct.

Had a go at PGR3 the other night. It was fun because the host started making up his own games, he had some mates on, and we all joined in. It was a laugh.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:03 pm

But I've also done the same on Auto Modelista and a few other titles where I would start a room and we'd all just go for it marathon style.

Same with RE:Outbreak, we'd have a room going and we'd all trade off players and we all got to know each others styles.

I don't NEED those little differences in an online game, yes they're nice, but not worth paying for.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Previous

Return to Games